•○• JVC DX1000 | VS | AUDEZE LCD-2 •○•
Sep 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #16 of 58
Hey, just an update.  The JVC's shipped earlier this week, but I might've been a liiiiiiiittle too optimistic on the arrival date, because the delivery estimate ranges from mid-October to November.  They're coming from Japan, and apparently by rowboat     
confused_face.gif

So... just lettin' y'all know I'll eventually be back with some impressions, but the wait might requre a larger bucket of popcorn in the meantime.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 58
No problem, I don't eat popcorn so I will  fold my arms and wait patiently.
smile.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #18 of 58
I've owned the HP1000 from JVC for a long time.  I think the bass experience on the HP1000 is more lush and broad than the LCD-2, more articulated and textured.  It is able to achieve incredible deepness without being harsh or punchy with light to moderate amplification.  The LCD-2's low end is rock solid and is less present at all times.  The same tracks on the same source and amplifier results in the JVC headphone producing bass presence more often than the LCD-2.  Meaning, tracks that aren't really bassy will sound bassier on the HP1000 than with the LCD-2.

I'm reviewing the LCD-3 right now for Headfonics and the review will be more articulated and detailed when it gets posted.  I'll be lightly touching on the LCD-2 and 3 vs the JVC HP1000.  I'd take the JVC all day long over the Audeze LCD-2, without hesitation.  Hope that mini review on both helps out for now.

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #19 of 58
  I've owned the HP1000 from JVC for a long time.  I think the bass experience on the HP1000 is more lush and broad than the LCD-2, more articulated and textured.  It is able to achieve incredible deepness without being harsh or punchy with light to moderate amplification.  The LCD-2's low end is rock solid and is less present at all times.  The same tracks on the same source and amplifier results in the JVC headphone producing bass presence more often than the LCD-2.  Meaning, tracks that aren't really bassy will sound bassier on the HP1000 than with the LCD-2.

I'm reviewing the LCD-3 right now for Headfonics and the review will be more articulated and detailed when it gets posted.  I'll be lightly touching on the LCD-2 and 3 vs the JVC HP1000.  I'd take the JVC all day long over the Audeze LCD-2, without hesitation.  Hope that mini review on both helps out for now.

Thanks very much, I'll be very interested in your upcoming review with the LCD3 Vs JVC. I came very close to buying the LCD3 when it was released and am glad logic prevailed. I somehow knew it was going to be a sideways move at best. I decided to upgrade my computer with the money which was turning into an abacus. Please also post if possible that review when done here on Headfi.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #20 of 58
Hmmmmm...... interesting. Not entirely what what I expected to hear. If I could ask you a quick question, 24Bit...

Quote:
  It is able to achieve incredible deepness without being harsh or punchy with light to moderate amplification.
The same tracks on the same source and amplifier results in the JVC headphone producing bass presence more often than the LCD-2.

I take "punchy" to mean the actual slam, or physical pressure, the headphones exert.  When you say they aren't punchy, does that mean they sound bassy, but don't actually kick as hard?  If that's the case, I wonder how they'd do after a little EQ'ing.

Anyways, thanks for the mini-comparison.  I'm glad to hear you describe them as "lush" and not "harsh".  Definitely a little more excited for when my pair arrive now.  And I second what Cecala said.  Hook us up with a link to that review when you're done with it, if you don't mind.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #21 of 58

I take "punchy" to mean the actual slam, or physical pressure, the headphones exert.  When you say they aren't punchy, does that mean they sound bassy, but don't actually kick as hard?  If that's the case, I wonder how they'd do after a little EQ'ing.

Anyways, thanks for the mini-comparison.  I'm glad to hear you describe them as "lush" and not "harsh".  Definitely a little more excited for when my pair arrive now.  And I second what Cecala said.  Hook us up with a link to that review when you're done with it, if you don't mind.

You are correct, Punchy means the physical slam effect / physical pressure the headphones exert.  On a flat EQ, they are just good with bass weight and the overall lows experience.  With EQ, as the HP1000 responds well to bass increases. The experience turns into something very weighty.  With that added weight, of course the slam effect will increase.  It is unavoidable.  However, that slam effect is just a bit less harsh than the LCD-2 on the same flat EQ and track.  Due to the Audeze bass-type, which is more solid feeling than the JVC, you get a more harsh effect on the bass if you upgrade the bass experience with software or happen to have an amplifier with a bass switch.  These headphones have two completely different bass experiences: The Audeze has a solid and dense effect, but very clear and accurate, drier to my ear as well.  The JVC has a more broad and physically larger and expansive bass that is a bit warmer and certainly not as accurately responsive.  However, the bass quality is still excellent.  With a flat EQ setup, the JVC has the upper hand and is the bassier headphone.  It does not require much at all to get an excellent, deep and weighty bass experience.  The Audeze however needs a lot more voltage swing to achieve a similar level of deepness and rumble.  The amplifier is very important in this physical slam effect area, for example the Hifiman EF-6 has a very powerful low end with good slam effect and more setup for the LCD/HE series Orthos, where as my Burson HA-160 has a bass experience more well tailored for the HP1000.  The Burson has a noticeably more warm and yummy low end, its very deep and softer than the EF-6, which by comparison is more pure and clean, but less broad and weighty.  On the EF-6, the LCD-2 sounds powerful, precise and has moderate slam effect ( also considered very nicely engaging ).  On the Burson, the LCD-2 sounds softer and deeper with less likelihood of that SLAM effect on heavy bass tracks than it does on the EF-6.  On the EF-6, the HP1000 sounds overly snappy and shaky, the bass sounds dry and boring.  However, on the Burson it sounds sublime.  Absolutely sublime, very soft and just right in warmth to me ( subjective ), very deep and less likely to be snappy or slamming on the same high bass tracks that sound too snappy on the LCD-2 on the EF-6.

Expect a gentle warmness to the bass on the HP1000, very relaxed mids that feel pushed back, slightly bright and sparkly highs, excellent soundstaging qualities with excellent airiness qualities in stereo image left and right.  The LCD-2 has the better stage depth in a forward sense.  Now, the HP1000 is not as clear as it should be for that price in the midrange and upper regions, however that bass quality is right on par with the Audeze LCD-2.  Also expect really nice comfort, as its in my opinion one of the most comfy headphones out there.  Those earpads are ridiculously plush and the headphone is easily the most deceptively light headphone for something that size.

I will of course provide a link to it here once it is finished, sometime in the next two weeks or so is what I am gunning for, but I think I just got more detailed than anything I planned to put into the LCD-3 review haha!

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

... I think I just got more detailed than anything I planned to put into the LCD-3 review haha!

And don't think it went unappreciated  
biggrin.gif
    thanks a lot for going into more detail.  That was actually a blazing fast reply.  I was like, "Did he just copy/paste part of his review?"   lol   Anyways, pretty much everything you said confirmed what I was hoping they'd sound like.  And you said they go well with the Burson HA-160, so I'll take that as a bonus.

How big was the difference between the EF-6 and the Burson when listening to the LCD?  You said the EF-6 was better suited for the Audeze's bass, but also mentioned that some tracks seemed too snappy.  Makes me wonder if........................... nope.  Nevermind.  Don't answer that question.  Must... avoid... upgradeitis.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #23 of 58

And don't think it went unappreciated  
biggrin.gif
    thanks a lot for going into more detail.  That was actually a blazing fast reply.  I was like, "Did he just copy/paste part of his review?"   lol   Anyways, pretty much everything you said confirmed what I was hoping they'd sound like.  And you said they go well with the Burson HA-160, so I'll take that as a bonus.

How big was the difference between the EF-6 and the Burson when listening to the LCD?  You said the EF-6 was better suited for the Audeze's bass, but also mentioned that some tracks seemed too snappy.  Makes me wonder if........................... nope.  Nevermind.  Don't answer that question.  Must... avoid... upgradeitis.

Ditto.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 58
  Every time i see this thread bumped up, I keep telling me myself to not run out of the house to buy the DX1000. Oh so very tempted

I notice you have the D5000. There is a review here by 'Soundnista' that compaired his D5000/D7000 to the DX1000..
He concluded that the D7000 was very very close overall although the D5000 was clearly inferior.
For what it's worth my set is not going anywhere soon. It is a very large phone although very light. Those earpads are incredible.
The bass and soundstage once you experience it is hard to downgrade with another phone.
This phone is coloured, not ruler flat athough so what. Once you go JVC you will not go back.
This phone if we have awards here one day will make it as a classic. It's that good and unique.
happy_face1.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #26 of 58

I notice you have the D5000. There is a review here by 'Soundnista' that compaired his D5000/D7000 to the DX1000..
He concluded that the D7000 was very very close overall although the D5000 was clearly inferior.
For what it's worth my set is not going anywhere soon. It is a very large phone although very light. Those earpads are incredible.
The bass and soundstage once you experience it is hard to downgrade with another phone.
This phone is coloured, not ruler flat athough so what. Once you go JVC you will not go back.
This phone if we have awards here one day will make it as a classic. It's that good and unique.
happy_face1.gif

I have no doubt the JVC is a fine set of cans, it was on my to buy list up until about a month ago when i scored my pair of D5000 for a reasonable price on EBay. The DX1000 is still out of my price range but I would have had less hesitation if it was the DX700

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #27 of 58
This phone if we have awards here one day will make it as a classic. It's that good and unique 

I agree.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #29 of 58

Me as well.  If you do get the HP-1000, please be cautious of the hinge joints above the earcups.  They are extremely prone to cracking.

This is only relevant if you purchase a used pair before 2008 or so. Anything after that and you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back