“Beats by Dr. Dre”
Jul 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #391 of 634

Quote:
Ahh okay. Well then I guess Monster is not really appealing to our crowd, are they? They are appealing to a bass-beating-thugging-younger generation (which I am part of BTW, I'm 17 but I consider myself to have better taste...I learned my lesson from using skullcandies *shivers*)

Monster makes headphones / IEMs intended to appeal to different markets.  The Beats line are intended to appeal to the younger, style conscious crowd who listen to a lot of rap, R&B, Electronica, etc.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #392 of 634
Guess I must not be much of an audiophile, While I do really enjoy my current set up, Sony X or Clip >mini3>UM3X's ( also have RE0's and TF10's )

I took the SonyX and mini3 into a BB and tried a few headphones out, some senn HD4xx and some sony's ( cant recall the model ) they also had a set of the solo beats, (the smaller on ear, un amped cans). I thought they sounded far better than the senn's or sony's.

****** me putting on flame proof suit *********

What struck me was how HORRIBLE the senns sounded, I was actually excited to hear them, they sounded and felt very cheep and "plasticy". The Solo's sounded pretty good, obviously i wasn't in the perfect location to test them, but i remember being plesantly suprised by how well they presented the highs and mids, not letting the lows muddy it up too much, or at least no where near as much as i was expecting. Yea, its a little bass heavy, and a bit "boomy" phone, but not to the extreem that so many seem to think. One thing they do live up to is a good "bass head" can, IMHO. I purposly EQ'd up the BASS and cranked the volume up to as loud as i could comfotably stand. Those that love "standing next to the loud speaker" impact AND not have all that low end muddle up the mids should give this can at least a 5 min listen before poo-pooing it cause it has an overzelous marketing campaign.
Is it worth $175? well Im not sure. I am certain there are cans out there that sound better for cheeper, the Senn's i listened to were $75, but i wouldn't have paid 10 bucks for them ( maybe something wrong with the store demos? i mean they were REALLY bad.....) .
But they feel like a well built can, and are good looking, not to keep beating up on the senn's but in the looks feel department the solo's win by a long shot, so possibly $175 isn't quite as overpriced as it would seem?

I know i beat up on the Senn's, possibly i was expecting too much from a $75 can, or possibly there was just something wrong with that pair, givven that they were a store demo it's easily possible that they were damaged in some way.

My point being that for as much hate is spewed at the "Dr. Dre's" on this site, I think they are getting a lot more of a beating than they deserve. are they overpriced, probly, do they sound as bad as everyone claims, probly not, try 'em out and decide for yourself.

***********putting on second layer******************88888

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #393 of 634

Quote:
Guess I must not be much of an audiophile, While I do really enjoy my current set up, Sony X or Clip >mini3>UM3X's ( also have RE0's and TF10's )

I took the SonyX and mini3 into a BB and tried a few headphones out, some senn HD4xx and some sony's ( cant recall the model ) they also had a set of the solo beats, (the smaller on ear, un amped cans). I thought they sounded far better than the senn's or sony's.

****** me putting on flame proof suit *********

What struck me was how HORRIBLE the senns sounded, I was actually excited to hear them, they sounded and felt very cheep and "plasticy". The Solo's sounded pretty good, obviously i wasn't in the perfect location to test them, but i remember being plesantly suprised by how well they presented the highs and mids, not letting the lows muddy it up too much, or at least no where near as much as i was expecting. Yea, its a little bass heavy, and a bit "boomy" phone, but not to the extreem that so many seem to think. One thing they do live up to is a good "bass head" can, IMHO. I purposly EQ'd up the BASS and cranked the volume up to as loud as i could comfotably stand. Those that love "standing next to the loud speaker" impact AND not have all that low end muddle up the mids should give this can at least a 5 min listen before poo-pooing it cause it has an overzelous marketing campaign.
Is it worth $175? well Im not sure. I am certain there are cans out there that sound better for cheeper, the Senn's i listened to were $75, but i wouldn't have paid 10 bucks for them ( maybe something wrong with the store demos? i mean they were REALLY bad.....) .
But they feel like a well built can, and are good looking, not to keep beating up on the senn's but in the looks feel department the solo's win by a long shot, so possibly $175 isn't quite as overpriced as it would seem?

I know i beat up on the Senn's, possibly i was expecting too much from a $75 can, or possibly there was just something wrong with that pair, givven that they were a store demo it's easily possible that they were damaged in some way.

My point being that for as much hate is spewed at the "Dr. Dre's" on this site, I think they are getting a lot more of a beating than they deserve. are they overpriced, probly, do they sound as bad as everyone claims, probly not, try 'em out and decide for yourself.

***********putting on second layer******************88888

No matter what anyone else says or thinks you are the one who has to pay for your headphones and then live with them.  If they sound good to you, that's all that matters.  Monster stands behind their products with good warranty support.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #394 of 634
And I suspect they were the HD438s and XB-500 or something, and I'm not a fan of either. I've never seen a pair of headphones I liked at Best Buy.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #395 of 634
I happened to stroll into BestBuy today to pick up something I'm burning in atm.  I stopped by the headphones and saw the Beats by Dre display w/ the Studios.  I tried some different beats by Dre at CES (not by choice really) and ran away from the Monster booth ASAP.  Took me awhile to get over that experience and appreciate the Monster Pro lineup.  Keeping that in mind I put on the studio version of the beats and let the demo do its thing.  LOL!  I almost started laughing out loud and had this huge smile on my face coupled w/ a perplexed What? look on my face.  I don't recall that much about the highs or mids except for nothing struck me as really objectionable.  The Senn 438's next to them had their own issues so nobody gets to claim brand superiority by BestBuy standards IMO.  But the BASS, OMG the BASSSS...LOL!  Normally I hate that thumping, distorted, bloated car audio bass you hear from the Civic of the month.  But the Studio Beats bass replicated that in a less offensive, more acceptable entertaining sort of way.  Don't know how else to describe it.  I don't see myself choosing that as my preferred everyday sound signature but it was very entertaining.  No other headphone I have ever had on my head has made me LMAO more than these things and not in a bad way.  These things are seriously subwoofers next to your ears w/o the fatigue.  I'm actually still giddy from the experience.  Don't know why....  

As for the Sony XB500/700, anyone know if those pads are detachable?  I wanna stick them on something, they are insanley comfortable.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #396 of 634

Quote:
I happened to stroll into BestBuy today to pick up something I'm burning in atm.  I stopped by the headphones and saw the Beats by Dre display w/ the Studios.  I tried some different beats by Dre at CES (not by choice really) and ran away from the Monster booth ASAP.  Took me awhile to get over that experience and appreciate the Monster Pro lineup.  Keeping that in mind I put on the studio version of the beats and let the demo do its thing.  LOL!  I almost started laughing out loud and had this huge smile on my face coupled w/ a perplexed What? look on my face.  I don't recall that much about the highs or mids except for nothing struck me as really objectionable.  The Senn 438's next to them had their own issues so nobody gets to claim brand superiority by BestBuy standards IMO.  But the BASS, OMG the BASSSS...LOL!  Normally I hate that thumping, distorted, bloated car audio bass you hear from the Civic of the month.  But the Studio Beats bass replicated that in a less offensive, more acceptable entertaining sort of way.  Don't know how else to describe it.  I don't see myself choosing that as my preferred everyday sound signature but it was very entertaining.  No other headphone I have ever had on my head has made me LMAO more than these things and not in a bad way.  These things are seriously subwoofers next to your ears w/o the fatigue.  I'm actually still giddy from the experience.  Don't know why....  

As for the Sony XB500/700, anyone know if those pads are detachable?  I wanna stick them on something, they are insanley comfortable.

that was kind of my experiance with the solos, un-amped they were not great at all, sounded thin and muddled, but amped.... big s&!t eating grin. yea they were bass heavy, but in a good way. in a way i think they do exactly what they claim, bring out the low end like you were sitting next to full sized speakers.
I have hear thet the head bands on the solos are prone to break, this is discoraging. I would love to try a set of 770's to test them against. I would have already bought them just for the kink factor of having a moster bass phone when i wanted, but they ate a bit pricey for just a kink phone.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #397 of 634
Jul 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #398 of 634
i borrowed these from my brother for a week and they suck. they don't cancel out noise, like they say they do. the highs and mids are terrible. the lows are decent. the only thing i thought was pretty unique was how the pads rattle when the bass thumps. therefore, the only good reason to buy these headphones would be if you listen to rap. they are by no means "studio monitor" headphones like they state they are. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #399 of 634
Yes, people who listen to rap don't like highs or mids...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
i borrowed these from my brother for a week and they suck. they don't cancel out noise, like they say they do. the highs and mids are terrible. the lows are decent. the only thing i thought was pretty unique was how the pads rattle when the bass thumps. therefore, the only good reason to buy these headphones would be if you listen to rap. they are by no means "studio monitor" headphones like they state they are. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #400 of 634
So if you like Rap you should buy Dre's.  Odd.

BTW, the world is filled w/ crap sounding 'Studio monitors'.  A certain large Japanese company that makes memory sticks comes to mind.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #402 of 634
I have tested these headphones today. I'm still confused, because I can not believe that a 300€ headphones have that crappy construction quality.

I listen especially to Hip Hop and Eminem with FLAC file sounded like garbage...

If these headphones cost $50, they would be fine, but for the actual price, it's a crime buying them.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #403 of 634
It's pretty simple really.  If you want big subwoofer rumbling bass on and in your ears and don't care much for anything else then try them out.  If you care about anything else, go somewhere else.  

300 euros is a lot!!  It's currently $197 here.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #404 of 634
Jeez , i hate it when people comment on cans they havent heard, the beats are not really that bass'y' , they are pretty good noise cancelling cans much better than the Sennheiser 150/250 range imo.

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #405 of 634
Exactly. I thought their bass was not that "huge." If you do not use their demo music, they aren't that fun sounding.

Quote:
Jeez , i hate it when people comment on cans they havent heard, the beats are not really that bass'y' , they are pretty good noise cancelling cans much better than the Sennheiser 150/250 range imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back