β24: A discrete, cascoded, fully-differential power amplifier
Jan 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 309

amb

Member of the Trade: AMB Laboratories
I just posted my latest project, basically a β22 on steroids, as a dedicated speaker amp, with a few new twists thrown in:

HeadWize: DIY Workshop > β24: A discrete, cascoded, fully-differential power amplifier

Have a look!

cool.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 309
Interesting, as I JUST had the thought last night of building a speaker amp for downstairs.

Come on, d-cee, where's the fun in life if you don't involve yourself in projects that are way over your head?
biggrin.gif

Colour me hooked. I'll be following along closely.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 309
Thanks for the exciting news amb !
I will sit back with a fresh cup of coffee and have a close look at the schematic and the circuit descriptions.
Starting from the already excellent β22, it should undoubtly resulted in a great amp.
cool.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 309
Ti, this is great! I am early in my DIY career (but well into my mechanical engineer career...). My goal is to work my way up to the Beta22 and then find a nice speaker amp to build. By the time I'm ready, your Beta24 will likely be well tested and built. I'm stoked!

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 309
WOW!!! I'm very excited about this project...and I think it'll be a great first foray into loudspeaker power amps (no one offers the quality of documentation and real-time support that AMB Audio does).

Guess I'll have to make some loudspeakers to go with it...δ24 anyone??? :p

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 309
Extremely impressive figures. I really like the slew rate of 290V/us. I'll be looking into this in the future for sure.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 309
Just realized that I had saved this bookmark for another possible DIY speaker amp candidate, also 100w into 8 ohms. I wonder Amb if you might know about it, and might want to share some assessment or comparison with the Beta24. Is this a worthy competitor of the Beta24?

Would like to know your thoughts on differences in maybe ease/difficulty of build, ease/difficulty in finding components, sensitivity to component matching, differences in features, measurements, even differences in size, heatsinking needed, things like that.

In any case I'll most likely try to build two Beta 24 monoblocks, but would highly appreciate your comments on this one anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back