£300 budget, what should I buy??? (Cans / IEM / Portable Amp / PDAP?)
Jan 11, 2011 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FIRSTinSPACE

Head-Fier
Hi,

(Re-posted thread, to see if the regulars in this section have different opinions / advice than those in the IEM forum).

I'm currently using an 80GB iPod Video, with all files as Apple Lossless and I use Westone 3 IEM. I do not own any full size headphones right now.

I'm on a mission to get better sound quality all the time and want to improve my inventory more and more over the next year or so. Well forever.

My question is, what should I buy next in my quest for beautiful sounding music? What would be the best step to take? Most of my listening time is when I'm on the go but I want to get more into home listening!

I listen to all types of music, a lot of acoustic sounding artists and am getting in to classical.

- Full size cans, such as the AKG K701/2 (or any other high end headphones you may recommend).

- A portable headphone AMP, such as the Headstage Arrow or a Ray Samuels model like the Tomohawk (or any other you may recommend). Also, would one of these amps be a good substitute for a home sized headphone amplifier?

- A new DAP. My continuous research suggests either the Cowon J3 or Hifiman H-601/2.

- Westone 4's. A simple IEM upgrade!

Tell me, what would be the best first step. Or next few steps?!

Thanks guys,

Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back