Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus

4.75/5,
  1. krass76
    can sound amazing with heavy EQ
    Written by krass76
    Published Jan 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    Pros - value
    looks
    punch
    sound after EQ
    Cons - very boxy stock sound
    needs dramatic EQ
    lack of detail in high frequencies
    price to performance: amazing
    looks: the smoked (semi-transparent) MX500 stock shell they use is very nice, feels sturdy
    cable: not the highest quality, but it will do
    To note: I listened with the black foams.
    sound: I advocate the use of EQ!
    Since I like a linear / neutral frequency response, I found these very boxy (way too much 100-250Hz), the sub-frequencies are hidden, the highs and high mids are recessed and low and high mids have some irregularities.
    So I played around with EQ looking at innerfidelity's and my own measurements, just listening to music.
    You could achieve similar sound with less bands but it's what I used.
    Together with the HRTF plugin I use (hear) this EQing makes them very useable, but without HRTF it might make them too bright so you'll have to experiment.
    Also, the punch / transient response, once EQ'd, is very, very nice!
    The thing I seemingly can't get out of these is detail in the high frequencies. If I push the highs beyond balance, they start to sound tiring. But eh, what even can you expect more out of these?

images

1. EQ_monk_plus_006_s.png
    2. EQ_monk_plus_006_t.png
  2. canoniz06
    VE Monk+, TY Hi Z 32S
    Written by canoniz06
    Published Mar 3, 2017
    Pros - Value, Soundstage, Detail
    Cons - lacks bass to complete a great sound
    Burn in time: 70 hours both earbuds (reviewed with thin foam- Monk+, Hi Z full foam)

Track Demo'd: California Kids- Weezer

Source: HP laptop w/ Hifime DAC

Right off the bat, I am able to notice the Monk+ has richer vocals. They sound closer, more intimate, and more natural. The Hi Z, in contrast, sound veiled. It sounds like there is a little bit of detail missing. There is a very noticeable drop off of bass in the Monk+ when compared to the Hi Z.  The added bass from the Hi Z seems to complete the sound that the Monk+ is unable to fill, in terms of the lower end. Bass lines from the bass guitar, bass on the lead and rhythm guitar have a richer sound than the Monk+. When listening to the Monk+, the cymbals and hi hats sound more crisp and have better resonance. It has a gentler sound, but does not get lost in the music. The Hi Z has an extended treble range and seems to be more forward than the Monk+. Hi Z has a really good crunch sound during the heavier overdriven parts of the song. The Monk+ presents the guitar sounds with a cleaner sound, almost like a SSS Fender clean sound compared to EMG. It is easier to hear the “dirt” on the lead guitar on the Monk+ than on the Hi Z. Monk+ has a better soundstage. It sounds airer, with more space in between instruments than the Hi Z.

I personally prefer the Hi Z 32S to the Monk+, not to say that Monk+ is not a great product. Many people love them on the forums and I still mine. In fact, I ordered another set to get one in Coffee Gold+EX pack. I mainly listen to hip hop and rock, so the increased level of bass, both quantity and range, fit my tastes better. I like the Monk+ for musical scores, classical, or more vocally focused music. I don’t regret owning both of them because I find them both very enjoyable to listen to.

Just a note, I also own a few budget IEMS, including the KZ Ate-S and Vsonic VSD3. If you enjoy the sound signature of those IEMs, I think you will also like the sound TY Hi Z 32S.
  3. asymcon
    Monk+ rocks like original, but support could have been improved
    Written by asymcon
    Published Dec 30, 2016
    Pros - Amazing, detailed and very revealing, yet neutral sound.
    Cons - No verified technical data published, preventing buyers from making informed purchase.
    Edit: From the start I found the 112dB/mW claimed sensitivity not entirely true, and today I made an comparison. Monk Plus is far from the claimed sensitivity, reaching no more than 100dB/mW at 64Ohm impedance.
    The way I did the test was using headphones with known and correct sensitivity and impedance and match them to Monks in terms of volume. DT-250 were used for that purpose. At 1kHz, 5.7dB had to be retracted from Monks to achieve same volume level. As DT-250 are 250Ohm at 100dB/mW @ 1kHz, this post-calculation leads to the same sensitivity level, only at different impedance.
    So Monk Plus are 64Ohm and 100dB/mW, or 112dBV not the overstated 112dB/mW.

Back in January 2016 I purchased the original Monk as presented by VE at that time. At first I was a bit skeptical, not just for the price, but no earbuds I have had were any good. They turned out to be amazing success, I went that far as to completely replace my portable gear and now I use only Monk when travelling.
    In September I gave out my 2nd backup pair to one of my friends and they love it, but that mean I had to get new backup.

Turned out Monks were discontinued and replaced by Monk Plus. Unsure of what was changed I wrote a PM to zhibli06 here. No response, so I went to Aliexpress and used their chat system a week later in the morning to compensate for time differences. VE appeared online, yet never addressed my questions 3 days in a row. Neither their Aliexpress page, nor description on veclan.com list any sort of technical data that could help one make informed purchase. Most important info like impedance and sensitivity was completely missing. Only 4 pages of how Beats are useless, how to proceed with the purchase, not to open any disputes (all that understandable), microreview and bunch of photos.

Finally I decided, what the heck, the original isn't available anyway, so I ordered 3 pairs of royal purple. Despite the ongoing Christmas rush, they arrived fairly fast, only in 3 weeks.
    Impedance was the first thing I checked with my DMM and surprise, it's 64Ohm! The originals are 32Ohm/112dBm. Not saying it's a bad thing, but I prefer to know such info beforehand so that I can check with my gear how much power is going to be required. In sighted comparison, both sound very similar, only Plus appears a bit quieter at the same volume, likely due to increased impedance, but only a bit. Plus also feels a little more revealing, but with earbuds it's always about the right fit, so I may be making things up.

Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase, I just wish VE could update their webpage with some technical data, as this may turn objective/technical people away.
  4. ryanjsoo
    Venture Monk+ Review - Lee`s Invincible Budget Earphone Returns -With comparisons to the Baldoor E100 and Fiio EM3-
    Written by ryanjsoo
    Published May 5, 2016
    Pros - Cool translucent shells, Textured sound, Smooth, detailed midrange, Strong treble performance, Nice, thick cable
    Cons - Mid-bass sounds a bit bloated, No strain-relief at earpieces, Straight plug, Sounds far more balanced without foams at the cost of bass extension

Introduction –

This is getting ridiculous, with a $5 RRP, the VE Monk+ is cheaper than most cables. The VE Monk+ is an update to the highly regarded VE Monk, one of the most awarded and most popular budget buds on the market.

I know these reviews go in one of two ways, “I can`t believe this earphone costs $5” and “I didn`t know an earbud could sound this good”. I don`t think either of these statements still apply with products such as the Fiio EM3, Baldoor E100, Mrz Tomahawk and now the VE Monk+ on the market. That being said, does the performance of the Monk+ live up to these earphones or even to that of it`s progenitor? Let`s find out.

About Me – Some background, Gear of choice, Preferences and Biases

I generally prefer a slight v-shape to my sound, but still closer to neutral. I like a lot of detail and clarity, but can appreciate a smooth, laid back sound such as that on the X10`s. I prefer a more neutral midrange within a relatively tight tolerance, but I`m probably more forgiving of brightness over darkness. I`m not particularly treble sensitive and can tolerate large amounts without fatigue, though too much ruins the enjoyment. If I use a different eartip/pad/cover during the review I will note that and describe the sound changes.

Accessories –

The VE Monk+ comes in a very amusing sealed bag lathered in statements of audio superiority, “The biggest band you`ll ever hear for your buck… Dare to challenge me” just two of the numerous captions proclaim (we`ll justify those claims in the sound section).

[​IMG]

Opening up the bag reveals the Monk+ in a new translucent shell and 4 pairs of Venture`s light foams (4 red and 4 blue).

[​IMG]

The foams are very unique, they are colourful for easy orientation and extremely porous. Initially I thought they looked like they might disintegrate in my ears or feel rough, both I luckily found to be untrue.

[​IMG]

The foams are perfectly comfortable and work miracles on the sound of any earbud, not just the Monk+. They hardly affect the clarity and detailing of the midrange whilst increasing seal and thus bass performance/extension. Due to the open nature of the foam pores, they do crackle a lot when moving around within the ear but this shouldn`t be an issue in normal use. I did also notice a slight darkening of the sound with these foams. Since I prefer a slightly brighter sound, I decided to review the Monk+ without covers.

The packaging and accessories are perfectly fine for $5, the bag is pretty nice and the foams are fantastic.

Design –

[​IMG]

The VE Monk+ use the same housings as most Chinese buds such as the Tingo TG38 and other VE buds. Venture have employed a similar transparent/smoke housing as the updated v2 Zen and Asura which adds another dimension to the look over the standard black, I actually like the aesthetics a lot. The housings use a tried and tested design, that are quite large in size but still comfortable, especially so when combined with foams.

[​IMG]

The Monk+ is fully plastic all around but feels solid nonetheless. They are extremely light and disappear in the ear like the EM3, but the thick stems do produce an annoying plasitcky creak when sidelying, something the thinner stemmed EM3`s avoid.

[​IMG]

The Fiio EM3 and Baldoor E100 are both slightly smaller, the EM3 a little more so than the E100, resulting in more long term comfort but also slightly less seal. The bell shaped housing of the E100 promotes a slightly deeper fit whilst the EM3 and Monk+ are both very shallow, the Monk+ are particularly shallow fitting due to the large yet thin front face.

[​IMG]

The cable on the Monk+ is great for the price, nice and thick but not too tacky. It is a typical rubber cable but it`s as thick as the bottom EM3 cable all the way through. The cable doesn`t have too much memory and straightened out surprisingly quickly after un-packaging the buds. One thing to note, the channels are separated below the y-split which increases tangle resistance a bit but also increases the chance of splitting. This cable leads up to a nice, low-profile y-split with the Venture Logo imprinted on its face.

[​IMG]

The Monk+ has a gold plated straight plug which is not as nice as the right angle plug on the EM3 but far better than the E100`s plug. Like the EM3 it has a very solid strain relief at the plug but none at the earpieces themselves. There is a small chin slider at the y-split if you intend to use the Monk`s for anything active. The Monk+ is not offered with a remote of any kind, It would be nice of Venture to add on in, but it`s hardly necessary.

An added note regarding those new foams though. I remember reading a post where Lee stated that the Asura 2.0 was designed to be used without covers. This leads me to guess that the Monk+ may have been designed in the same fashion. Given the overwhelmingly positive impression of the new light foams, I installed them on the Monks and disregarded the sound changes. Big mistake on my behalf, I far prefer the sound without foams. Please remember that this is just my preference, I`ll try to be objective as possible and separate sound signature from quality in my review. So good marks for build and design overall.

Sound –

I haven`t heard the original Monk, but many described it as mid-centric. That`s definitely not what I`m hearing with the new plus variant.

The Monk+ has a powerful bass response combined with a full-bodied lower midrange, similar to the EM3 but a lot cleaner. It is quite dark sounding with the included foams, upper mids do sound recessed, not overly so, but on the borderline. The signature does change considerably when removing the foam covers, the midrange is quite level with plenty of presence. It`s far more neutral only at the expense of a little bass extension. Either way, the Monk+ sounds quite detailed, not as aggressively detailed as the E100, but more so than the EM3. The Monk+ doesn`t have a lot of clarity as a result, instead sounding more smooth and laid-back, a little more refined and less artificial than competitors. The treble response is commendable as well but I`ll talk about these in more detail later.

The presentation is top quality. The soundstage has great width and good depth with a lot of space around each instrument. Imaging is also quite good. It`s similar to the EM3, but the Tomahawks sound more well rounded. The Monk+ has no difficulties separating complex passages or those with an abundance of instruments and easily achieves that “out of the head” feeling with certain material.

The Monk+ is only moderately sensitive, sounding especially quiet due to its slightly recessed upper midrange. Despite this, it will still reach high levels from portable sources. Luckily it didn`t seem to be affected by output impedance and even my iPod Nano 7g drove it perfectly fine, the Monk+ isn`t source sensitive at all. At the same volume, it is slightly less sensitive than the Fiio EM3, that means less so than both the Tomahawk and E100 as well. If you prefer high listening volumes and listen from a weak source, you might want to consider an external amp.

So overall, the tonality of the Monk is relatively balanced, the midrange is slightly dark, but very natural. The neutral treble prevents a dull or fatiguing sound and there is more refinement to the sound than either the EM3 or E100. It`s a coherent and well considered sound. Using the included foams boosts bass extension and slam at the cost of neutrality. Some may prefer the more full-bodied, darker sound with foams and this sound does work well when there is ambient noise.

Bass –

The bass response is powerful and full but the boost is quite moderate overall. It has slightly less sub-bass extension and slam than the Fiio EM3 (even with foams), but the bass response is more textured in return. The mid-bass response has the biggest boost, more than the EM3 and similar to the E100, whilst the upper bass response is only slightly boosted, granting the sound greater body and the mids nice warmth whilst avoiding the sense of bloat that afflicted the Fiio EM3`s. The EM3 is slightly tighter, but some listeners may enjoy the cleaner presentation of the Monk+.

Whilst It isn`t as tight as the Tomahawk`s leaner presentation, notes still attack with impressive speed and finesse though it is still more laid-back over punchy. As a result, bass notes do come through ever so slightly bloated, but the bass remains well separated from the midrange which is very commendable within this price range.

Mids –

The lower midrange is slightly boosted giving the sound warmth and body, but not as much as the EM3. The upper midrange is a little recessed and it may take some time getting used to coming from a brighter earphone. But behind this dark tonality, the Monk+ reveals quite a lot of detail, easily as much as the EM3 and E100, but still falls short of the intricate reproduction of the much more expensive Tomahawk`s. The greater clarity of both the EM3 and E100 can create a more aggressive presentation, but the Monk+ is more refined and a lot cleaner sounding.

What the monk does possess is an uncanny smoothness to the sound, making vocals very enjoyable whilst avoiding any kind of harshness. I personally prefer the leaner Baldoor E100`s and Mrz Tomahawk`s, but I can see the merits of the Monk+ for study, relaxation or genres of music such as indie, older pop and jazz. Acoustic also sounds nice and full, helped by a spacious soundstage whilst even poorly recorded jazz and rock sound un-fatiguing. The more full-bodied and powerful tonality of the monk+ is well suited to it`s shallow sealing nature, resulting in a relatively neutral sound, but the added seal produced by foams results in a low end dominance.

Treble –

The treble is about neutral in quantity and is well extended. It is similar in quality to the EM3, but comes through clearer on account of the Monk+`s less boosted upper midrange. The treble response prevents the sound from being boring or overly dull; it has plenty of sparkle whilst retaining appropriate body and texture. It`s quite a bit better than the grainier E100 and Apple Earpods of course. I do find myself enjoying the texture and tone of the Monk+`s treble response.

Verdict –

The Monk was quite an important product in the budget bud scape that really didn`t need to be updated. The new Monk+ brings an improved build, revised tuning and a new slew of accessories. Does that make it a better product, overall? Of course, and for the exact same ridiculously cheap asking price, Venture provides buyers with a great product for virtually no money at all.

[​IMG]

I was initially a little disappointed with the audio performance; the reputation of the Monk`s was invincible and the Monk+ didn`t flaw me like I thought it would. But removing the foam covers has improved the tonality remarkably, enough for me to reconsider my review at least. So at $8 shipped worldwide, the Monk+ is easily the strongest performing earbud in it`s price range, there are none that are even close to matching it`s price/performance ratio. Without covers I also find it to be both more neutral and more technically proficient that other budget earbuds, especially considering that such a tonality is very hard to come by in this price range. The Monk+ hence makes a very good gift and a great intro into the merits of superior audio gear (or an intro to earbuds if you want to give them a try). It`s comfortable and enjoyable to listen to, the transparent housings looks intriguing and the build is very sturdy. The Monk+ is a smoother, more balanced alternative to the Fiio EM3 and Baldoor EM3, did I mention that they`re $8 shipped? Go buy a set!

Accessories – 10/10, Very minimal but also very cheap, Venture offers a much more extensive selection of accessories for only a few dollars more, good travel cases are easily found on the internet for just a few dollars.

Design – 9/10, The housings look neat and are very comfortable with or without foams. I especially like the cable which is nice and thick, resisting tangle with low memory. The plug is reinforced and well relieved but the earpieces have no relief at all. They could also offer a remote model.

Bass – 6/10, Decently tight, powerful and reasonably extended. Very textured with good slam whilst retaining punch.

Mids – 6/10, Relatively neutral with a weak seal, ever so slightly warm and dark with an emphasis on details and smoothness. Female vocals can come through a bit muffled, but the midrange is a strong performer overall, perhaps surprisingly so.

Treble – 6.25/10, A little more detailed and clear than other top budget buds such as the Fiio EM3. Great texture and body produce an enjoyable listen.

Value – 11/10, At $5 USD, the Monk+ unsurprisingly represents unbeatable value.

Verdict – 8.5/10, The Monk+ offers a relatively balanced sound signature in culmination with a very textured bass performance, extended treble and a smooth, clean midrange. When adding those slick housings and great build into the equation, the Monk+ is a very attractive buy. The RRP is ridiculously cheap, and whilst I can`t compare it to the original, the VE Monk+ is  well worth a try.

This review was taken from my blog, please have a look for guides and more reviews like this, thanks for reading!

B9Scrambler, HiFiChris and trellus like this.
  5. twister6
    Enter the Temple of Monk, embrace the Spirit of Asura, reach the Ultimate Zen!
    Written by twister6
    Published May 4, 2016
    Pros - excellent value, durable build, warm natural detailed sound, updated “Plus” design and sound tuning.
    Cons - earbuds fit is not for everyone, no isolation (typical of earbuds)

I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion.

The manufacturer website: https://www.veclan.com/ve_eng_index (now accepting PayPal)

Product links: Monk+ (https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=4), Asura 2.0 (https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=5), Zen 2.0 (https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=3).

The following review will focus on the latest VE Monk Plus (+) as well as mini-review of Asura 2.0 and Zen 2.0 updates.

* click on images to expand.

** the review was posted by mistake under the original VE Monk, so I moved it over to VE Monk Plus (+) now

Venture Electronics (VE) specializes in making earbuds, and earbuds are not my cup of tea, or cup of coffee, or whatever drink I’m in a mood for.  So why am I writing about the latest set of their earpieces?  Because I enjoy their sound, to the point where I even forget that my ear anatomy is not friendly with earbud shell design (lack of nozzle to stick in my ears).  I did come across a few earbuds in the past, but none of them impressed me since I couldn’t get a good fit/seal which affected the sound, especially the low end performance.  I also noticed that most of them had a similar generic design.

That was exactly the reason why I almost turned down the review of the original Zen, but so glad I moved forward with that opportunity because they restored my faith in earbuds after I heard how great they sound.  I’m not gonna lie and tell you I use them every day.  But some of you probably noticed that I use Zen in all of my DAP and usb DAC/amp reviews.  They are unique because of their 320 ohm impedance and require a good driving source to make them shine.  It’s a challenge I’m always looking forward to in my testing, and it also gives me an opportunity to spend more listening time with them.

But the main focus of this review is not Zen or Asura, both of which I still plan to talk about in my write up, it’s about the little mighty Monk – $5 earbud sensation.  Lee, the driving force behind VE, is a genius when it comes to marketing of his products.  Who can resist a pair of $5 earbuds?  They are cheap enough to be considered disposable, and they utilize a generic design which never going to make you question if the deal is too good to be true.  Not until you put Monks in your ears, you will realize that these earbuds are not about the looks but rather about the sound.  You will be hooked on it and will be craving to hear how other more expensive VE earbuds scale up in sound quality.  But for now let’s start with a Monk+.

Monk+ (a.k.a. Monk 2.0)

Spec: 64 ohm, 112 dB, 18-22.5kHz, $5

There is nothing to talk about the packaging because it’s a $5 pair of earbuds, and to keep the cost down you get it as is without any official packaging box.  As a matter of fact, they are durable enough to wrap around and throw in your pocket without a need for a headphone case.  I’m not just saying that because they are cheap and could be tossed around, Monks are actually well built and can withstand some abuse.  Plus the chord is on a thicker side, but still flexible, and will not tangle as easily.

If you want a case or a shirt clip or extra accessories, you can always get it for a few bucks on ebay or aliexpress.  But there is one set of accessories that was actually included, 4 pairs of foam ear-sleeves – 2 pairs in red and 2 in blue.  Foam material seems to be stretchable and durable, no worries it will rip easily, and I like the bi-color design because Monk’s L/R side marking is very hard to see so I used red/blue foamies combo for Right/Left id.  My only suggestion is that in addition to 2 pairs with fully enclosed sleeves, offer one more pair with a punched out “donut” design.

The cable has a straight 3.5mm gold plated headphone jack with a nice strain relief.  I personally prefer right angled connector, but it makes sense with Monk+ to offer it as is because more expensive Asura and Zen with their angled connectors will be considered as an upgrade.  You also have a small slim y-cable splitter and a decent chin slider.  The cable has a nice rubbery shielding, and overall feels durable.

The shell housing of the Monk+ have the same basic design as majority of other generic earbuds, and that also includes Asura and Zen.  You have a typical round shallow earpiece where the dynamic driver is placed under a plastic shielding cap with numerous venting holes, and a long tubular neck piece where the wires go through to the driver.  Due to a small size of earpiece, typically it's better to hold on to this “neck” for a more comfortable handling of earpieces in and out of your ears.  But regardless of the similarity in the design, the Monk+ was upgraded with a semi-transparent material, only leaving the driver cover in solid black.

This makes Monk+ look more premium and less generic, especially when wearing bi-color foam sleeves.  And speaking of those, I actually preferred wearing Monks with foamies because it enhanced the fit with an extra seal (more bass) and helped keeping them secure in my ears.  Also, I liked how instead of their website, previously printed on original Monk, now you have slightly pixilated “Monk” printed on Monk+.  I just wish moving forward VE adds some kind of an ID bump on the right earpiece for a blind ID, otherwise I can’t easily feel the difference between L/R just by sliding my finger.

ve_monk-01_zpsvosgujhl.jpg   ve_monk-02_zpsnuj0oarw.jpg
    ve_monk-03_zpsotnvhyl3.jpg   ve_monk-04_zpsqnpdenx0.jpg
    ve_monk-05_zpsixwym57v.jpg   ve_monk-06_zpsax5n3lva.jpg
    ve_monk-07_zpsz8v5rqp2.jpg   ve_monk-08_zpskl6jvbej.jpg

Monk vs Monk+

ve_monk-09_zpsgfzcdose.jpg

The fit (Monk+, similar to Asura and Zen)

ve_monk-14_zps6emywm6f.jpg

Sound analysis.

Since a number of people already have the original Monk, let me start with a baseline of its sound to correlate the improvements as I hear with Monk+.

The original Monk has a well balanced, smooth, clear sound signature with a neutral tonality.  Due to its fit and corresponding seal, I don't hear as much sub-bass (unless I push and hold them into my ears), it's more rolled off, though I can still hear a quality low end extension, just with not too much of sub-bass quantity.  Mid-bass has a nice snappy punch without too much exaggeration, well controlled without spilling into mids.  Lower mids have a good body, though a little more toward the leaner side.  Upper mids are smooth and organic, and still clean and detailed, not super detailed but surprisingly good.  Treble is clear, detailed, with a good definition and some airiness, not too bright or sibilant.  Soundstage width is expanded above average, and it also has a decent depth and height.

Now stepping up to Monk+, I hear the sound gaining a little more body, making tonality a little warmer and more natural while still retaining the same sound signature.  I hear the bass being a little bit tighter and more articulate, lower mids gaining a little more body, upper mids being more organic and with some improvement in retrieval of details, treble is smoother, with a little less airiness, and more control.  There is an improvement in transparency, and in general the sound is tighter and smoother.  Soundstage has the same width, but I hear a little less depth making sound more intimate.

There are not too many earbuds in this price category to use for comparison, though next to FiiO’s latest EM3, I hear Monk as being more transparent, with a cleaner sound, less sub-bass and a faster mid-bass punch, lower mids are leaner, upper mids are as smooth and a little more detailed, and treble has a little more sparkle, and slightly better definition with a touch more airiness.
    Also, Monk+ steps all over the original Apple earphones which in comparison are less detailed and have a more congested sound, not as tight bass, and narrower soundstage.

Asura 2.0

Spec: 150 ohm, 110 dB, 17-23kHz, $78

I don’t remember if I received the original Asura in the past, Lee was always generous with his review samples, but I can’t find it so just going to describe Asura 2.0 as I hear it.  Since Asura is positioned as a more premium design, VE stepped it up to a right angled headphone jack connector, and the driver cover cap is being semi-transparent gray instead of all black, and the rest of the shell is semi-transparent just like in Monk+.  Also, it comes with more accessories including a clamshell case, different foam sleeve covers, and even sport stabilizer fins in two sizes.  Though fins helped in keeping Asura secure in my ears, it didn’t help with a seal so I went back to bi-colored foam sleeves.

I used Asura 2.0 with foam sleeves and hear them as having a little less sub-bass (it’s all seal dependent where my ears are not earbud friendly) and an average mid-bass speed, though still packing a nice punch.  Also, I hear that the bass spills a little bit into the mids, adding more body to the sound where I hear a little thicker lower mids which in my opinion take away some transparency while adding more lushness and smoothness to the sound.  Upper mids are clear and detailed, and slightly boosted, but still smooth to my ears, delivering an excellent vocal performance (both male and female).  Treble is clear, detailed smooth, non-sibilant.

When it comes to soundstage and layering/separation, I think Asura does well, but not pushing it too far above the average.  With more emphasis on upper mids and overall sound being a little laidback and relaxed, Asura 2.0 performs great with vocal tracks but not as much with tracks that require a stronger bass punch or crispier treble.  Also, even so we are stepping up now to 150 ohm impedance, I had no issues driving these from any of my low power sources, including some portable audio players and even my smartphone.

ve_monk-10_zpsa4g26ziu.jpg   ve_monk-11_zps6rpgxyfx.jpg

Zen 2.0

Spec: 320 ohm, 106 dB, 15-23.5kHz, $148 3.5m TRS, $178 balanced with adapters, and up to $358 for Cardas Golden Selection cable

Sine I have reviewed the original Zen 1.0 in the past (all white plastic housing), I will start with a recap of my sound analysis and then move on to Zen 2.0 sound changes.  In terms of a design, Zen 2.0 now has a more premium look with a semi-transparent shell and a new cable with a more premium red shielding - looks top notch!  You get an assortment of foam ear sleeves, stabilizer fins, a premium hard shell case, and even a bonus Monk as an “accessory”.  Furthermore, you also have an option of different cable terminations, and even a premium cable wire.

ve_zen2-15_zpswwkydkb8.jpg

You can choose a regular 3.5mm TRS single ended termination with an angled 3.5mm gold plated connector.  Or for additional $30 you can get a balanced version with adapters.  The balanced version comes with two 3.5mm connectors which you can use with Pono or some Sony amps.  A set of included adapters will give you connection to 2.5mm TRRS (A&K wiring), 3.5mm TRRS (HFM wiring), and 3.5mm TRS single ended.  Perhaps it was an artifact of my balanced output sources, but I found imaging with those to be a bit distracting and preferred to use 3.5mm TRS single ended adapter instead.  Either way, it’s really great to have a flexibility of different connections to try with different sources.  There is also a 3rd cable option, but it uses a premium wire which adds over $200 on top of Zen 2.0 price.  Maybe one of these days VE will consider a removable cable to make the design compatible with both wire up and down?  Zen 3.0, perhaps?

ve_zen2-01_zpsdipuq8ge.jpg   ve_zen2-04_zpsv4w64vg0.jpg
    ve_zen2-06_zpsidy6ftal.jpg

I find Zen 1.0 to have a very detailed transparent smooth balanced sound.  It has a great soundstage, definitely above the average in width and depth, maybe more width then depth.  I wouldn't say it has the best audiophile quality layering and separation, and perhaps the imaging doesn’t necessary standout with 3D placement.  But it has a clear neutral tonality with a smooth sound that you can listen to non-stop for hours.

Low end is rather accurate with a fast and tight mid-bass punch and extended sub-bass depth.  I hear a well controlled and snappy bass with a noticeable sub-bass rumble.  Mids are the star of these earbuds.  You will find a perfect smooth lower mids with a clean separation from the low end.  Mids have a nice smooth body, and a very clear presentation.  Upper mids sound very organic with an excellent retrieval of details. Both female and male vocals sound very natural and accurate.  Treble has a great definition, clear and detailed but not too much airiness.  It just flows smooth and transparent as an extension of upper mids, sharing the same characteristics.

To my ears, Zen 2.0 sound is more balanced, still detailed and transparent, but now the bass is tighter and more articulate, mids have a little more body and still have an excellent retrieval of details and great natural tonality, especially when it comes to vocals.  Treble still has a great definition, detailed, but now has a little more airiness.  Another change is in soundstage expansion, where I hear more width but a little less depth, making sound more intimate.

Just like with Zen 1.0, Zen 2.0 still has 320 ohm impedance which requires a little more juice to drive these earbuds to their full potential.  Don’t expect them to shine straight from your smartphone.  Yes, you can raise the volume to hear them, but you are not going to “feel” the quality of the sound.

ve_monk-12_zpskqmkux2i.jpg   ve_monk-13_zps9crk9to9.jpg

Conclusion.

Even so the original intent of this review was to focus on the latest Monk+ (Monk 2.0), I felt that Monk is like a stepping stone into the world of premium VE earbuds.  Thus, it’s impossible to talk about this latest update without bringing up the next gen releases of Asura and Zen.  I have reviewed a number of budget headphones in the past, but can’t think of too many in $5 range that can match the price/performance ratio of Monk+.  When it comes to earbuds, FiiO’s latest EM3 is a good contender, though priced at $15; and with in-ear monitors you have $7 RX18 from Mee Audio as well as a handful of KZ releases in $15 price range.  What surprised me the most with Monk+ is that Lee fine tuned the sound and updated the design with a more premium look, but the price remained the same.

I don’t have too many earbuds to make a more broad comparison in order to determine which one is at the top.  What I do know is that thanks to iDevices the earbud style headphones became more acceptable around the world.  I still see a lot of people with their little white earbuds listening to music, though sadly not realizing what they are missing.  I’m sure many of them prefer not to stick anything down their ear canal and appreciate being aware of surrounding environment since earbuds don't isolate as much.  VE Monk+ can do all that, and improve the sound quality with its warm natural detailed signature for only $5.  And once you ready to upgrade, Asura and Zen could be a worthy consideration for anybody, regardless if you are a beginner or an audiophile.
      cpauya, B9Scrambler, trellus and 7 others like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. EISENbricher
      Nice and accurate analysis, that I can say from my experience with the Monk and Monk+
      Thanks a lot for this review.
      EISENbricher, May 4, 2016
    3. Toom
      How do these compare to Apple Earpods?
      Toom, May 5, 2016
    4. twister6
      @Toom : I can't keep earpods in my ears, they are falling out, not able to test it.
      twister6, May 5, 2016
  6. nofacemonster
    VE MONK PLUS just took my breath away!
    Written by nofacemonster
    Published Aug 30, 2018
    Pros - Amazing sound for the price
    Best sounding Dynamic earbuds i tried
    Retro styling takes me back to walkman days
    Almost everything in threw at them sounded amazing
    Cons - No cons, just wish they were IEM so i could wear them for hours and hours.
    I was on a search to find a good sounding cheap dynamic headphones for my collection. I tried KZ ZS3 and didn't like it because when i wear them it gets all muffled and can't fix that problem. I tried two pairs and second pair also didn't sound good as they say about them on the reviews. Then couple of weeks back i read about MONK PLUS and decided to order them off the eBay. Today i received them and i am listening to them while i type this review. It sounds amazing on everything i throw at them with my ultra cheap setup. My search for cheap perfect sounding dynamic headphones ends here.

If you're looking for similar set of headphones then look no further, buy a pair of VE MONK PLUS and you'll see what i am talking about here. I really wish they were IEM so i would have been much comfortable to wear.

40511539_2034748983242276_5520579459939303424_n.jpg

Unlike many of you i am not a audiophile, just a cheap little enthusiast in music and how they sound. I only have a very cheap system powered by a laptop, A matisse clone tube preamp with russian tubes and a super cheap class D headphone amplifier which i bought over eBay. I can imagine how they might sound in a decent system and how good their other highest end tier products will sound on good dacs and amps etc.
      RogueWolfe likes this.
  7. Phongluukhachpk
    VE Monk+, the best earbud in this price
    Written by Phongluukhachpk
    Published Jul 21, 2017
    Pros - Good sound stage, impact bass, bass speed, good vocal with foam
    Cons - Hurt my ear for long time using
    I just received it yesterday, after one week waiting. It's amazing sound at this price. Happy to have this.

Accessories – 10/10 with 4 pairs of foam.
    Design – 10/10 Very solid, feel like unbreakable.
    Bass – 7/10 Impact bass and may improve over the time using
    Treble –7 /10 No hiss til now.

Value – 11/10 Very very good vs the price
  8. joshuadapitan
    I understand the hype so I will join the hypetrain
    Written by joshuadapitan
    Published Jun 24, 2017
    Pros - Balanced sound. Smooth presentation. Cable is not so much tangly.
    Cons - Openness, Highs may get shrieky at times, Foams sometimes are scratchy to my ears, bass is heard more than felt.
    I have purchased the Monk plus because of
    a.) The hype
    b.) Nostalgia on earbuds.

Note: I am reviewing the Espresso Edition monks

Build:
    I respect the build of these CHi-Fi(Cheap HiFi or Chinese HiFi, pick your poison) earbuds. The cable is not so much tangly, but they still know how to do kinks. The Earbud shells feels like they are good enough as far as the build(Except being stepped on, the shells are still plastic). The weakest link would be the earbud foams which may get holey over time, and my Symmetry OCD makes me bother on the holey earbud foams, making me resort to buy earbud foams. No regrets on that though because they changed tonality.

To be honest, I understand why these earbuds are being hyped. They have a good frequency response and they have a nice Transient Response as well. Soundstage can be sometimes wide on some recordings, Like real wide for such an earbud. Imaging is ok, but they are a little vague on the imaging. No frequency bleeds over the other. and the vocals are well presented well with a touch of airiness. On my case, the subbass is heard but not felt, which is a turn-off to some bassheads, but for me, it just does fine. The bass still has punch, but sometimes it also just sounds artificial. One thing is for sure, the people will respect the sound of these.

At one time, my parents are quite the suspective on my audio gear purchases, like my FiiO K1 USB DAC/Amp and AudioQuest Jitterbug, and recently I received these monk plus, they are quite curious, they tested the monks on my phone, and they have been enlightened on why I am willing to spend cash on Audio Gear because these monks has shown the way (My father is still bothered on why I should be still be buying Amps, especially he found the Monks to be already sounding amazing on just a phone).

I modded my monks by replacing the earfoams from a japan store out of curiosity and it was worth it, The foamies are quite smaller than the monks, but they would fit just fine.

With the replacement earbud foams, The bass have a gentler presentation compared to the stock earbud foams. but it has now a more proper articulation where the bass guitar sound guitar sounds like bass guitar(I am a bassist so I know) and it doesn't bleed on the mids much. Mids become a little less forward with the replacement foam, though it still has that fullness.The treble is quite rolled off, where they become just borderline screechy, because the stock earbud foams would still screech on strident music. The replacement foam also affects the imaging for the better. This mod would sacrifice the sound area covered by the earbuds where the earbuds just sound like headphones. But I have a full sized headphone so it doesn't quite matter for me.

They do excel in Bossa, Jazz, Rock, Classical, Metal, and the best genre to play with this is live concert music. The soundstage is so wide for an earbud. You may have reservations for the monks if you listen to more modern stuff where you want the meaty, catchy sound and vibrations, go for IEMs.

Comfort:

Comfort wise, they are comfortable, though I feel the heavyness of the earbuds on my ears. The foams quite vary in comfort at some point, some are quite scratchy in my ears when i twist to fit the eartips so you really have some need to find the perfect foam(Good thing there are 4 foams per each color, and there are two colors, so a total of 8 foamies to find your best comfy foamy. P.S. I use foams in same color because Symmetry OCD won't allow).

Sound Isolation and Leakage:

The foam thickness affects the sound isolation of these earbuds, Using thick foams, and cranking the volume, you are well isolated enough. Sound leakage, well, this is a turn off if you watch "those videos" because it basically leaks sound(which helps in soundstage and imaging so if you are alone, and you want that positional audio in movies, especially in "those movies", why not).

Comparison:
    If there is something I will compare against, I will compare it to my Audio-Technica ATH-CLR100(w/modded eartips because stock eartips are bad on those). It may be unfair to compare an Earbud to an IEM but here is the thing, They both have the ability to present most of the frequencies smoothly, though the ATH-CLR100 has quite the less forward midrange, fast decay of vocals and a more snappy presentation on the bass and a stronger subbass(because bass is good when really felt). The ATH-CLR100 is quite the more forgiving on bad recordings, but a good recording is quite better to be heard on the monks.
    Soundstage is better on the monks, but the imaging is more clear with the ATH-CLR100.

Conclusion:
    They are a good Starter HiFi or CHiFi (because cheap $5, and again, pick your poison on your definition of CHiFi) device. If you are the someone who is on Audio Quality yet scared on Spending lots. Start with these. These CHiFI things are scary in the audio industry because they have a good price to performance ratio that the market will surely become real competitive because the CHiFi industry (FiiO, HiFiMan, SMSL, Superlux and of course the maker of these Monk Plus, Venture Electronics) is moving forward to better build and better sound (I suddenly realized I am also hyping as well). To be honest, this has almost become my best Audio Device, that it competes with my ATH-CLR100 on who will become my daily driver. It is just one order from your local shop or online store, and you might find these your end game for portable audio, again, portable audio. The monks are good just as they are.

Subjective Side notes:
    At last, something that is good sounding as is. I have modded my ATH-CLR100 and Superlux HD661, and for the very first time ever, an Audio Device where I don't have to do Modding(to correct the sound signature(because DSP Correction/Equalization is just applied on one source so I still find modding to be a better way to change the sound signature)).

^I quite take it back. I still mod them with replacement ear foams to have that balanced tonality. I still do find it needs some work on earbud foamies and it could be better.

images

1. 20170624_182220[1].jpg
    2. monk.jpg
  9. SOULSIK
    The budget god - $5????? HOW?
    Written by SOULSIK
    Published Apr 4, 2017
    Pros - sound stage, detailed, great sound
    Cons - sound isolation but these are earbuds
    17778851_1356246057774025_2067595476_o.jpg

INTRODUCTION
    LET’S START OFF BY SAYING THAT WHAT I AM ABOUT REVIEW IS NOT HEADPHONES BUT DESTROYS MANY HEADPHONES IN SOUND QUALITY.
    Hey bob have you tried that headphone? Hey bob have you tried that IEM? Hey bob have you tried those speakers? Hey bob have you tried those EARBUDS? Wait earbuds? Are earbuds even part of high quality audio experience?
    After reviewing the MONK PLUS by venture electronics, I can without hesitation tell you two things:
    1.       YES, earbuds is part of high quality audio experience
    2.       I have learned a lot of valuable lessons through this product
    READ ON TO FIND OUT WHAT I MEAN…….
    WE invest in HEADPHONES & SPEAKERS & IEMS. WHY? Why not just ONE. That is because the way these products produce sound is different and although they will never be “PERFECT” Us audio maniacs always strive for it. And who said earbuds cannot be as good as headphones or speakers or IEMS? Of course, the way they sound and usage for it will be different as it is with everything else BUT EARBUDS are equal in standing as to making “GREAT SOUNDS”

DISCLAIMER
    I am a hobbyist and bought these myself to review and add to my collection

ABOUT VENTURE ELECTRONICS
    This company does something that no other company has ever done and that is to admit that perfection may not be feasible. This is true in many cases but not many companies come out and say it. This company is honest from the root. They also carry the same mindset as us AUDIO-MANIACS “We will never stop striving for perfection.” They do 3 things to strive for perfection:
    1.       They want to break the notion of EXPENSIVE = BETTER SOUND. They strive to make great sounding products for best value possible
    2.       Creating products that are inexpensive but does not sacrifice build or sound quality
    3.       Creating positive and honest relationship with their costumers and fans by creating products that they themselves would be proud to use
    With that being said, VE’s presence in the HI-end audio does not fall behind. VE is the first to introduce hi-end earbuds, which is priced for 358usd with premium cardas cable and the first in the world to introduce true balanced portable amp with full spec desktop connector. which is the ra2.0b.

Does this sound like a great company to you? I am normally not impressed with company descriptions but I was inspired by how they kept it so REAL, HONEST, and most importantly shared their PLANS & how they will achieve it with us.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    The VE MONK PLUS was launched for sale in 2015. It was regarded as the best price for performance sound quality that will ever exist in history. It was created by a talented and ambitious engineer KK with the aim of detail and enriched sound into an earbud.
    TYPE: DYNAMIC Earbuds
    Termination: 3.5mm (or options for TRRS 3.5mm & 2.5mm)
    Sensitivity: 116dB (1mW)
    Frequency Response Range: 20 – 20000Hz
    Cable Length: 1.2m
    Resistance: 64 Ohms

WHERE DO I BUY IT?
    You can buy it directly from their website: https://www.veclan.com
    Or on their aliexpress page: https://www.aliexpress.com/supplier-fm/wholesale-products/232029927-productlist.html

BUILD QUALITY
    Accessories: This depends on whether you got an ex-pack or not but here we will talk JUST about the accessories that comes with 5 dollar earbuds. With the coffee colored Monk Plus, I got 2 coffee colored & 2 Black covers. These covers go over your earphones and although I felt like they were for more comfort than for sound, they did seem to calm down the highs a little bit for longer comfortable listening session without getting fatiguing.

Ex-pack: this is one of the things that can be added to your order along with your earbuds. This is basically different types of covers and hooks that go on your VE MONK PLUS earbuds to make a more secure and comfortable fit. Adding this to the order for an extra 5 dollars is a great idea if you are like me and plan to keep them for long and plan to order more in the future BECAUSE although it did not happen to me yet, I assume the covers will warn out and you will need replacements.

THE SHELLS: They are made of plastic shells. for 5 dollars, I did not expect much but these were not bad quality at all. I mean… they are earbuds… they were built like one…. Better than the ones you would normally get.

THE CABLES: The cables are cables, they are normal cables unless you opt in for the better cables for more money but the cables that comes with the earbuds are normal wires and do I DARE SAY? At the level of sennheiser wires. I do not mean to bash Sennheiser, I love them and their headphones but we all have to admit their cables needs to step up in the game. With that being said, the cables and splitters are made like normal set of cables… no impressive feature or WOW quality…. Did I tell you? Its 5 dollars.

TALKING WITH THE OWNER
    I usually contact the business before I review products to gain more insight to their objectives and views on their products. While not many respond, Lee, the owner of VE responded within seconds. While talking to him directly for not few minutes but hours, He seemed dedicated and interested in this field more than anyone I have met. He seems to know who is his target audience while being insightful of the future in the audio industry. Most of all He seemed not only dedicated but well informed in what he was doing. He was interested in my research topic in perception of music and human hearing. This shows how much he cares and values knowledge in creating his products. I wish our talk in the future will give him more scientific insight as I have received very useful knowledge for my future reviews. He was very helpful in creating this review, so, Thank you Lee.

PRACTIALLY
    THE FIT: Some people complained about these falling off… like all earbuds do if you are running with them or weightlifting…. But to my surprise… these fit well without being uncomfortable. I did not have to yank them out with force when taking them out but they did stay in my ears when I hit the cable by accident while moving around

SOUND ISOLATION: These are earbuds and they do not have sound isolation as part of the deal but they did seal well in my ears, enough to make them not leak too much sound. However, sound leaking into your earbuds will not be preventable

PAIRING: These are 64 ohms and that is high for an earbud BUT NOT FOR HIFI earbuds! These do run off practically anything but better sources do affect and improve the sound.

SUGGESTED USE: you can use them portably in a quiet space like the library or study space or office but do not expect to crank up the sound if you don’t want to bother the person next to you. You can also use them at home if you are listening to a specific song that you enjoy on these earbuds.

NOTE: depending on what you add, the number of accessories you get will vary.

SOUND QUALITY

BASS – Coming from headphones, speakers and IEMS these earbuds may lack in the lower frequencies. But that does not mean that these do no entail the rich details in this frequency range, they do. It just takes time to get adjusted to the amount of bass and it feels wonderful and ENOUGH. The fact that earbuds have bass like these do is quite remarkable.
    MIDS – When I was listening to different tracks that I am familiar with, I felt like there was nothing special. That was my mistake, this was because I’ve been so used to the sound of my HD600s and 650s… the fact that I felt there was nothing special but also nothing particularly wrong in this frequency range shows and says a lot about how the MONK PLUS performs in this frequency range… I do not want to get stones thrown at me for saying this But I do want to go on record for saying this: I felt like these were a really good alternative to those who want the HD600 experience but cannot afford the HD600s. With this being said, The mids on these are warm sounding.
    HIGHS – Now the highs are very present. They are not as detailed but they hit the sweet spot. They are out in the open playing with the soundstage and does not sound sharp or sibilant in your ears at all… these are very relaxing pair of earbuds. Usually going from pricey headphones to EXPENSIVE AS HELL headphones means getting more details in a lot of these frequencies, especially the highs…. For a few hundred dollars more…. (MINUS the sound signature and stuff… obviously… we are strictly talking about detail). With that being said, I think for 5 dollars, these get a kiss for how well they perform in this frequency.

SOUNDSTAGE – THE VE MONK PLUS have extraordinary soundstage for an earbud. These resemble the soundstage of some open back headphones and I mean it.

SEPERATION – These have great separation, especially paired with my oppo ha 2 se… these put up a finger to many headphones out there…

7 DAY IMPRESSION:
    FOR MY REVIEWS, I WRITE A DIARY OF WHAT I WANT TO SAY FOR THE FIRST 7 DAYS OF STARTING THE REVIEW FOR A PRODUCT. THE PRODUCT IS REVIEWED MORE EXTENSIVELY AFTERWARDS FOR A LONGER TIME BUT THIS IS THE MY IMPRESSION FOR THE FIRST 7 DAYS
    DAY 1
    I was skeptical to as how a 5-dollar earbud can possibly be any good. I usually do not even wear earbuds, I rely on quality iems, headphones and speakers. I ordered coffee color ones due to my obsession for coffee. When I opened the small package, I was not at all surprised… it was a pair of earbuds. When I touched them to pick them off from the package, I was surprised to how the plastic felt more premium then I would have imagined. But what really mattered was sound.
    I tossed them on the side as I had many other things to review and listen to tonight. Few hours later I listened to the VE monks while sleeping. With my surprise… these blew my mind away… and this was after I was listening to other MUCH MUCH more expensive gear for review purposes!
    I got up, sent my friend (who is also a reviewer) a msg, “take these next week and try them” THEN I went up to the computer and ordered another pair because I wanted to keep one…. FOREVER.
    DAY 2
    While listening to these, I felt bass was lacking compared to what I usually listen to because they are earbuds BUT I quickly got used to it… and everything felt right into place. I didn’t want to sound crazy but even bass felt perfect in these earbuds. Mids were warm and full sounding and highs were there to give you an extra WOW on the soundstage but not sibilant in any way. I listened to this earbud more than anything this day. I kept looking at my bank account to see if I really paid 5 dollars for these….

DAY 3
    I paired these up with different devices, Samsung Galaxy S5, S6, S7, Fiio x1, Oppo ha 2 se… and they were not source sensitive… they sounded great on all devices but I did notice a improvement when paired with better sources. I enjoyed them best combed with my oppo ha 2 se with bass control OFF.
    DAY 4
    I loved these so much that I decided to push all my IEMS aside and take these to the gym. YES, IM HUMAN TOO AND I MAKE MISTAKES, I will admit it… it was stupid. These are earbuds and sound isolation is not the part of the deal nor should it be the reason you buy these. When I took these to the noisy gym, I could not hear these to their full potential and the bass was not strong enough to boost my lazy body. MY FAULT ENTIRELY. When I came back home, I listened to them on my desk… some smooth jazz all-stars play sam smtih. For those of you who do not know this song, this song is an instrumental of sam smith’s songs and contains a lot of saxophone, trumpet, etc. Let’s just say… it felt like I was on a cloud.
    DAY 5
    I was really hoping to see something wrong with these after some time, not because I am psychotic or I hate these but because I love them so much that I started carrying them with me wherever I go…. AND for 5 dollars… I really would not mind if there was something wrong with them but they do their job and beyond SO VERY WELL. That is, it for today.
    DAY 6
    So today, I officially decided to give these to my friends for review and when the new sets arrive, I will be putting them in my pelican case along with my expensive IEMS because these really have earned it…. They deserve to be protected and cared for… Price is irrelevant, I’ve started building respect for the person who made this. Thank you, Venture Electronics. I took these and introduced them to few people at my university who are audio enthusiasts, talked to people on Instagram who were curious, and brought my clueless cousin brother and his response was:
    Cousin: wow these are good!
    Me:  I ordered another one, I might give this one away on a giveaway on my Instagram
    Cousin: I usually do not ask this but can I, have it? Please?
    Me:  If you guess how much it is
    Cousin: I don’t know… 60 dollars?
    Me: …….
    Cousin: 70? 80? No way 100?
    Me: 5
    Cousin: 50?
    Me: 5
    Cousin: How….
    Me: You have the Sennheiser HD598Cs I got you for your b-day, you like these more than these?
    Cousin: No I like the headphones better but these do some stuff my headphone can’t.
    BOOM! ending the story there and you can later find out on my Instagram if the little guy (he is 18, so not that little) got his wish granted or now! Technically he can buy his own LOL. BUT with that being said… the point/lesson of DAY 6 story is that “these are not here because it’s better than headphones or IEMS BUT because they are different” Just like we get headphones and IEMS, these have their own purpose, way to wear and SOUND.
    DAY 7
    I listened to these the whole day as my friend came to pick these up from me today for his chance to review. His initial response when I offered him the Monks was this “I usually do not wear earbuds… but I will try them out.” 2 days later I talked to him and I quote “these blew my mind away.” AND the story repeats again with this man. I feel like after listening to the VE MONKS, we all learn many valuable lessons. ONE of them being “money doesn’t speak sound quality all the time, good engineering does” and the other being “there is different ways to hear things and earbuds have always been one of them AND there is a reason for that.”

FINAL THOUGHTS
    For 5 dollars, this is something all audio enthusiasts should have and furthermore, introduce everyone around you to quality  hi res audio.
    Overall, Venture Electronics really have done well to bring this beautiful product into the light. For 5 dollars, I do not think I can ask for more. It was pleasure reviewing this product and I plan to dive into

for a more full review with pictures visit our website

Review posted by soulsikreviews.com

video for reference

[​IMG]
      nofacemonster and joshuadapitan like this.
  10. Hypespazm
    These are the biggest BANG for your BUCK. Is a Humble Statement! These are GAMING MACHINES!
    Written by Hypespazm
    Published Mar 7, 2017
    Pros - SQ, Sound Stage, Bright. Clear, Detailed BOOMY Bass.
    Cons - 0
    First and Foremost I want to say that these are by far the biggest BANG for YOUR BUCK. I honestly Dont think these guys should be selling these under 10 bucks...

These are so versatile I have about 5 of these. 1 in every room. I have these laying around everywhere!! They are just so GOOD!.

One big thing that surprised me about these is how versatile they are. The perform amazingly in gaming situations.

These are perfect for gaming and can be driven by ANY AMP. The better the amp the better these GET!. These scale just as well as HD600's.
    The better the equipment with these the better they get

I use these daily for everything Running, Casual listening, Gaming on console PS4, Xbox 360, on my LG V20. On my Desktop.
    You name it these are literally the most versatile headphones I have ever own.

Their durability is amazing. I have stepped on them and they have held up, but don't go on and stepping on them!

being an audiophile and not owning these is a SIN!.. everyone I know that has gotten these has loved it.

17039167_10158457254065454_1324767142959637471_o.jpg

These are my pairs for now!! nothing more to say other than outstanding quality!!
      joshuadapitan and Layman1 like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. h1f1add1cted
      Most advanced objectiv review on Head-Fi in 2017 so far  :-D
      h1f1add1cted, Mar 8, 2017
    3. Apple0222
      yes, good review, the earphone is so cheap.
      Apple0222, Mar 13, 2017