Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus

General Information

Updated model of the renowned budget earbud, the VE Monk from Venture Electronics. Features new translucent shells, tuning and accessories.
The impedance is increased from 32om to 64om, compared to VE Monk.

Latest reviews

Pros: price, soundstage, sound quality and gaming immersion after eq
Cons: imaging, bass
ve monk plus.jpg

I tuned mine this way for listening to classical music and it has made them come alive. Absolutely spectacular.
The difference eq makes for gaming is sensational. I hopped into a game of Battlefield 3, applied the above eq and just listened for a moment in awe of the immersion they created. imaging could be better, especially depth (there is none really to speak of), however what can you expect given the crazy low price!
I think they may even better better than my TIN T2 (at 5 times the price) and better in some respects (soundstage and gaming immersion) than my Audio Technica A900!
edit: I also purchased '12 Pair (24 pieces) Foam Earpad Replacement Sponge Covers for Earbuds/Earplugs/Earphone (Grey) ' for them which helped their comfort!
Last edited:
flexy321
flexy321
This is so strange. I tried your EQ settings with my Monks, no way on Earth. What is up with that peak at 3K? I can only explain this with your Monks must be damaged, or your ears :) For me this results in a screeching, unbearable sound.

I also gave the EQ settings from here https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
a shot. There are some for the monk. These were "ok", but subjectively not making the sound "better".

I am otherwise using the Monks for years with a simple "increase bass, increase trebles" curve which work quite well and gives really good sound. Just tying to understand how you came up with your strange EQ there.

Regards, G.
Pros: value
looks
punch
sound after EQ
Cons: very boxy stock sound
needs dramatic EQ
lack of detail in high frequencies
price to performance: amazing
looks: the smoked (semi-transparent) MX500 stock shell they use is very nice, feels sturdy
cable: not the highest quality, but it will do
To note: I listened with the black foams.
sound: I advocate the use of EQ!
Since I like a linear / neutral frequency response, I found these very boxy (way too much 100-250Hz), the sub-frequencies are hidden, the highs and high mids are recessed and low and high mids have some irregularities.
So I played around with EQ looking at innerfidelity's and my own measurements, just listening to music.
You could achieve similar sound with less bands but it's what I used.
Together with the HRTF plugin I use (hear) this EQing makes them very useable, but without HRTF it might make them too bright so you'll have to experiment.
Also, the punch / transient response, once EQ'd, is very, very nice!
The thing I seemingly can't get out of these is detail in the high frequencies. If I push the highs beyond balance, they start to sound tiring. But eh, what even can you expect more out of these?

Attachments

Pros: Amazing sound for the price
Best sounding Dynamic earbuds i tried
Retro styling takes me back to walkman days
Almost everything in threw at them sounded amazing
Cons: No cons, just wish they were IEM so i could wear them for hours and hours.
I was on a search to find a good sounding cheap dynamic headphones for my collection. I tried KZ ZS3 and didn't like it because when i wear them it gets all muffled and can't fix that problem. I tried two pairs and second pair also didn't sound good as they say about them on the reviews. Then couple of weeks back i read about MONK PLUS and decided to order them off the eBay. Today i received them and i am listening to them while i type this review. It sounds amazing on everything i throw at them with my ultra cheap setup. My search for cheap perfect sounding dynamic headphones ends here.

If you're looking for similar set of headphones then look no further, buy a pair of VE MONK PLUS and you'll see what i am talking about here. I really wish they were IEM so i would have been much comfortable to wear.

40511539_2034748983242276_5520579459939303424_n.jpg

Unlike many of you i am not a audiophile, just a cheap little enthusiast in music and how they sound. I only have a very cheap system powered by a laptop, A matisse clone tube preamp with russian tubes and a super cheap class D headphone amplifier which i bought over eBay. I can imagine how they might sound in a decent system and how good their other highest end tier products will sound on good dacs and amps etc.
Reactions: RogueWolfe

Comments

There are no comments to display.