SIMGOT DEW4X

o0genesis0o

Pros: + Compact and well built
+ Pleasant colouration of vocals and instruments
+ Independent volume control
+ UAC 1.0 mode
Cons: - Have some challenges with difficult IEMs and earphones
- Volume adjustment is not fine-grained enough for sensitive IEMs
- Soundstage is intimate
Have you observed an interesting pattern in the audio hobby world in recent years?

Any skilful IEM manufacturer would eventually develop electronics to accompany their IEMs. Moondrop was, perhaps, the pioneer of this trend with MOONRIVER2 and has continued with DSP-enabled products ever since. AFUL created Snowy Night to accompany their Magic One IEM. KiwiEars developed the “gamepad dongle” Allegro.

Today, we look at Simgot’s dongle, the DEW4X.

DEW4X_00007.jpg

Preambles​

• In this review, I use the term “source” to denote a DAC+amp combo for brevity and convenience.
  • When I say a source “sounds” a certain way, I talk about the change it makes to my IEMs and earphones.
  • What I look for in my listening experience is immersion. I want to feel the orchestra around me, track individual instruments, and hear all of their textures and details. Sources that intensify those characteristics of my IEMs are considered “better”.
  • The unit used for this review was a sample provided by Simgot (Thank you!). The unit is retailed for $80 and can be found at most online audio stores.

Specs​

DEW4X_00008.jpg

• Decoding chip: 2x Cirrus Logic CS43198
  • Decoding capability: PCM: 384 kHz/32 bit, DSD:Dop 128/Native 256
  • Input connector: USB Type-C
  • Output connectors: 3.5mm and 4.4mm
  • Max output power: 70mW per channel (3.5mm), 150mW per channel (4.4mm)
  • Independent volume control

Non-sound Aspects​

DEW4X_00001.jpg

DEW4X_00002.jpg

DEW4X_00019.jpg

DEW4X arrived in a simple cardboard box with a prominent “X” logo (is it an official dongle of twitter?). In side the box, you can find the dongle itself, a USB-C cable, and a small adapter to turn the USB-C male connector to a USB-A connector. The cable feels utilitarian and rugged, though a bit stiff.

DEW4X_00004.jpg

Moving on to the dongle itself, I was surprised by how compact it was. It is about 60% the size of a full-sized dongle, such as the luxurious (heh) Luxury & Precision W4. Despite the diminished frame, DEW4X is quite well constructed and finished. It feels dense and is heavier than it looks.

DEW4X_00016.jpg

I have but one nitpicking regarding the appearance of DEW4X: I think all the printing on the device is upside down. Let me explain. The volume up button points toward the USB port, meaning the USB port is the “up” direction. Yet, all the prints on the device orient toward the opposite direction. Does it matter in a practical sense? Of course not. But if I can flip the prints around, I would.

DEW4X_00009.jpg

Let’s talk about usability. A key advantage of DEW4X is the independent volume control, meaning you can (should) max out the digital volume on your phone and control the volume directly from the buttons on the dongle itself. This approach has two advantages: (1) avoiding software glitches that randomly max out volume on your phone and blowing out your ears, and (2) providing you a finer control over the loudness of your listening experience.

Simgot set the volume curve of DEW4X such that it ramps up the loudness quickly in the first few steps and then slowly afterward. The logic here is that you can have more fine control in the volume range where most people use. Unfortunately, I found that the volume ramps up a bit too quickly either because my listening volume is lower than average or my IEMs are more sensitive than the reference IEM used by Simgot.

DEW4X_00018.jpg

One of the option is switching to low-gain, which drops the VRMS output by half. You can do so by pressing both volume buttons at the same time. The dongle remembers both the volume and gain setting that you set when you disconnect it. It might simply be psychoacoustic and my inability to volume match precisely, but find the high-gain mode a bit more dynamic and snappy than the low-gain. Still, practicality is above all, so I choose my gain mode depending on the sensitivity of the IEM I pair with DEW4X.

DEW4X has another trick up its sleeve: UAC 1.0 mode. This protocol is necessary is for connecting to gaming consoles like Nintendo Switch. You can activate this mode by holding the volume up button when plugging it to your console or game controller. You have to repeat this step every time connecting to game consoles as DEW4X boots into UAC 2.0 by default.

DEW4X is an efficient dongle. It does not get warm in long listening sessions and does not drain battery from the source device extensively. I managed to maintain the multi-day battery of R3II and did not get battery-anxiety when pairing DEW4X with my old iPhone. (Yeah yeah, I know it’s not a scientific test. I’m buying equipments to measure more accurately. Maybe next review.)

Subjective Impressions​

Disclaimers: To me, the “sound” of DAC/amp is very difficult to recognize because these devices form the “frame of reference” of our entire listening experience. It’s relatively easy to compare two things (e.g., two IEMs) within the same frame of reference, but how do we know whether our frame of reference is “crooked” (e.g., bright, flat, edgy). When we hear sibilance or 2D soundstage, do we usually blame the IEM or the DAC/amp? Therefore, all the descriptions in this section were synthesised from the differences that I hear when swapping between multiple DAC/amp using many different IEM types and musical genres. You must excuse me for being less specific than my usual IEM reviews due to sheer amount of subjective data gathered.

DEW4X_00010.jpg

You know, there is one phenomenon that has always baffled me: sonic differences between modern DAC/amp. I’m not talking about the differences between a delta-sigma IC DAC and discrete resistor-ladder (R-2R) DAC or between a solid-state amplifier and a tube amplifier. I’m talking about the differences between DAC/amp devices with excellent linearity, ruler-flat frequency response to 40kHz and beyond, inaudible distortion, and near 0 ohm output impedance. In theory, IEMs should sound exactly the same across all of them, yet in practice, that’s rarely the case. In this difference, one of the fun of our hobby emerges: finding the “synergy” between between DAC/amp and transducers.

Anyhow, I digressed. Let’s talk about DEW4X. This is one of the more “coloured” dongle that I have had the pleasure to test. It means that it is relatively easy to notice that IEMs sound a bit different when pair with DEW4X, even before careful AB tests with other dongles.

DEW4X_00011.jpg

What sorts of difference?

Subjectively, the tonality of DEW4X feels like a gentle EQ has been applied to slightly lift the lower midrange, around 250Hz, and perhaps slightly cut the ”edgy treble” between 8kHz and 12kHz. I used the word “subjectively” because I’m pretty sure that (1) this DAC would measure flat like other well-implemented DAC and (2) Simgot can’t run a digital EQ under-the-hood. So from where does that change come? I have no idea, but it is noticeable and consistent between my listening sessions.

DEW4X_00014.jpg

So, how does that change reflect in listening experience?

Firstly, DEW4X makes the midrange of most IEMs a bit thicker and warmer. It also makes the high notes a bit smoother, less edgy. It makes the music more “musical”, if you excuse this poorly defined terminology. For instance, when I listen to The Last Recordings of John Denver with Simgot EM6L, I found voice of John Denver to be a touch fuller and thus, somehow, evoke a bit more emotional response comparing to my other pairing. Again, the change is subtle, unlike slapping a 3dB peak filter on the signal. But it is appreciable.

DEW4X_00013.jpg

The second effect of the tuning of DEW4X is how it changes the soundstage presentation. I hear a more “condense” stage where most of the foreground elements in a mix (e.g., main vocals, main guitars, drums) are placed more tightly around the phantom center of the soundstage, which is usually a point somewhere inside the head. Due to this presentation, my first impression of DEW4X was that it has a small soundstage. However, it is not really the case. When it comes to the expansion of the stage, meaning how far the background elements like choral sections or reverberation of a concert hall can be pushed away from the foreground, DEW4X does not fall behind its peers such as the AFUL Snowy Night. However, the presentation of DEW4X is noticeably more compact and not as precise as a decent digital audio player (DAP) or a “super dongle” like the L&P W4. This difference was easily discerned with larger soundtracks, such as the OSTs from Ghost of Tsushima and the Elder Scrolls Online.

DEW4X_00017.jpg

Due to the characteristics above, I find DEW4X to be a better matched for IEMs with leaner tonality and more intimate musical genres like singer songwriters. As you might have guessed, the characteristics of DEW4X perfectly complement the thinner and sharper tonal balance of most Simgot IEM, particularly the EM6L.

Before closing the subjective impressions, let’s take a closer look at DEW4X performance with some difficult workloads:

• Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020 (8.74 ohm, 122.47dB/mW) represents an extremely sensitive and notoriously picky IEM. Sonic-wise, I was worried that the warm-ish presentation of this dongle would be too much for the Andromeda, which is already warm and thick. Interestingly, my worry was unfounded as these devices work together quite well, creating a richer and slightly more intimate sound, but without reducing the famous soundstage imaging ability of the Andromeda. I particularly enjoy some baroque concerti from CDs back in 1990s in my library due to how the cellos and contrabass seems to be quite a bit closer, hanging right behind my ears, contrasting against the flutes and violins at the front. As expected from the spec sheet, I did not hear any hissing noises from the DEW4X. My only complain is that the volume adjustment of this dongle is not fine-grained enough for the Andromeda. I frequent ran into the problem where one volume level is too low whilst the one above is too high and had to rely on digital volume adjustment.
  • Symphonium Meteor (9.7 ohm@1kHz, 90.9dB/mW@1kHz) represents a hard-to-drive IEM. Even if a source can get these IEMs loud (by providing enough voltage), the overall presentation could be soft, blunted, and congested if the source has problem keeping up with the current demand. Whilst DEW4X does not degrade the sound significantly, it does not present the Meteor at its optimal level either. For example, when I listen to Playing God by Polyphia, I found that the whole soundstage feels tighter, more compact. The bass transients are also not as snappy and satisfying. The difference was quite noticeable when swapping to my desktop setup, the FiiO K7. Even when I push the DEW4X to be noticeably louder, it still cannot spread the stage out nor convey the dynamic as well as the K7. Given that the DEW4X was not behind the K7 in micro detail, I suspect the limitation comes from the amplification stage of the device rather than the DAC.
  • TGXear Serratus earbuds (300ohm, unknown sensitivity) represents another class of hard-to-drive gear, the high impedance ones. Similar “scaling” can be observed with these earbuds. Exactly the same situation as with the Meteor was observed with this pairing.

Comparisons and Rating​

DEW4X_00005.jpg

Vs Apple’s USB-C to 3.5mm adapter (a.k.a., “Apple dongle”):

• The Apple dongle is noticeably outclassed when driving difficult IEMs like Meteor and listening to faster music with strong bass line. Meteor sounds noticeably more intimate and bass notes are softer and blurrier in general.
  • The gap between Apple dongle and DEW4X is similar to the gap from DEW4X to a desktop setup.
Vs HiBy R3II:

• The size and expansion of the soundstage of R3II and DEW4X are quite similar, especially when driving difficult IEMs like the Symphonium Meteor.
  • The tonality is a bit different. R3II does not have the slightly warmer midrange like the DEW4X. On other hand, R3II’s treble response is crisper and more present.
Vs AFUL Snowy Night:

• The tonal difference between these devices are rather jarring, especially in back to back AB tests. Your preference and your choice of IEM might push you towards the neutral tuning of Snowy Night or the coloured tuning of the DEW4X.
  • Snowy Night is more “effortless” when it comes to soundstage expansion and dynamic, especially when driving difficult IEMs.
  • The detail retrieval and instrument separation (together creating the “resolution”) of these devices are mostly identical.
  • The volume steps of Snowy Night is more fine-grained, making it more suitable for sensitive IEMs than the DEW4X.

Conclusion​

DEW4X_00015.jpg

With DEW4X, I can see that Simgot brings something different to the USB DAC/amp market with the pleasant and tasteful colouration applied to the midrange tonality. Such colouration is particularly relevant in an IEM market that increasingly converges to a Harman-like sound signature with thinner and brighter midrange. If you own a Simgot IEM, this dongle should be high on your list. If you are after a warmer midrange presentation without extending your budget for some fancy discrete R2R DAC/amp, DEW4X is also viable option.

What I like about this device:
  • Compact and well built
  • Pleasant colouration of vocals and instruments
  • Independent volume control
  • UAC 1.0 mode
What could be improved:
  • Have some challenges with difficult IEMs and earphones
  • Volume adjustment is not fine-grained enough for sensitive IEMs
  • Soundstage is intimate
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3.5/5 - Very Good

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this device.

DEW4X_summary.jpg

Updated: April 17, 2024

dosec

Compact and good
Pros: - Compact size
- Low battery consumption
- Plug and Play
Cons: - No difference on sound from other CS43198 dongles
- Power can be too low for some people
Presentation

IMG_1324.jpg

Hello, friends of AvaliaSom. The one I bring you is the Simgot DEW4X, a DAC/AMP dongle that was kindly sent to me by Simgot herself. 非常感谢 Simgot 的朋友们。

The Simgot DEW4X has a MSRP of 79 USD, and can cost up to 153 USD with the addition of 92% Brazilian taxes.

As soon as the DEW4X arrived in my hands, I was impressed by its compact size. It's just 4.1 cm long, 2.4 cm wide and 1.2 cm high. Its body is entirely made of metal, and although it is petit, it does not give any impression of fragility. Its weight is 24 grams, slightly heavier than a Tempotec Sonata BHD and its 20 g.

IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1300.jpg

I unboxed DEW4X on my Instagram , and I invite you to watch. It comes in a mirrored box with a huge “x” highlighted. This detail even led to jokes among my group of friends, where people asked if that was Elon Musk's dongle, due to the “x” very similar to the new Twitter logo. The box houses a foam cradle that stores, well protected, both the dongle and the USB-C/USB-C cable made up of OFC, which is visually simple, and a USB-A to USB-C adapter, which is very useful.

IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg

The compact dongle features an all-aluminum alloy body, with the “x” on the front and back indicating its features. At one end, it has the USB-C port, and at the other end the 3.5 mm output and the balanced 4.4 mm output, the latter gold-plated. The volume controls are on the side, without “+” or “-“ indication. When in operation, a red LED lights up inside the DEW4X.

Specifications

The Simgot DEW4X features two CS43198 DAC chips , and delivers a maximum output power of 70 mW @ 32 ohm on the SE output and 150 mW @ 32 ohm on the balanced output. There are two gain levels, and there is no information about the amplification chip used.

image.png
Source: Simgot

It is compatible with Android, iOS and Windows. It can work in UAC 2.0 or UAC 1.0, and the UAC 1.0 mode is used to connect the DEW4X to consoles like Switch and PS5, but on the other hand it is limited to 16Bit audio and 44.1 or 48 kHz.

The DEW4X is capable of decoding PCM at up to 32-bit and 384 kHz, and also handles DSD128 up to DSD256 (native). It does not render MQA.

According to Simgot, it has a dynamic range of 130 dB and a distortion of a measly 0.0002% on the 4.4 mm balanced output, a distortion that is practically zero, something that is reinforced by the brand in the presentation of the DEW4X.

Its balanced output level is 2 Vrms at low gain and 4 Vrms at high gain. At the SE output, it is 1 Vrms at low gain and 2 Vrms at high gain. Its SNR is 130 dB.

Usability

The Simgot DEW4X is the most compact dongle I've ever used, and in terms of versatility of use it rivals only my Apple dongle, with the advantage of delivering more power and also the 4.4 mm output.

Its cable is very flexible and it fits well in your pocket. But if you're looking for a highly refined USB-C cable, I recommend you read Ranko Acoustics' RUF-100 review.

Simgot discloses that the DEW4X has 30 volume steps, with an average difference of 3 to 5 dB per step, in a non-linear way. There is a memory of the last volume used, something very interesting to avoid excessive volume when we connect the device again or when we change devices.

The volume buttons also have other functions:
  • Pressing both quickly changes the gain.
  • Pressing and holding volume + while turning on the DEW4X switches it to UAC 1.0. By default, the DEW4X operates in UAC 2.0 mode.
Its recognition on Android and Windows is immediate, as well as on Apple devices. It is not necessary to install any drivers manually for use, and there is no Simgot App for the DEW4X.

After a long period of use, I noticed that the DEW4X practically does not heat up its housing during use. Regarding the smartphone's battery consumption, it consumed only 18% of the battery of my Samsung Galaxy A21s in airplane mode after 4 hours of use, dropping from 100% to 82%. This is with a headphone plugged into the 3.5 mm output and low gain. This is the most economical dongle I've ever used. Just for comparison, a Hiby FC4 consumed 50% battery under similar conditions.

The Simgot DEW4X delivers a neutral musical sound, very similar to the sound of the Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro . Compared to a Cayin RU6 , it's notable how much less heat it delivers, and we can see the same situation when we compare the DEW4X to the Colorfly CDA-M1P that I tested recently.

Simgot does not disclose the output impedance, however I had no problems playing the Hidizs MS5 (5.3 ohm). As for power, at the volume level I listen to, I had no problems playing a somewhat demanding planar IEM like the Moondrop Stellaris, even using the 3.5 mm output. Furthermore, the Stellaris tends to be a little too bright when it is poorly amplified, and this did not happen with the DEW4X.

Because it is practically neutral, this Simgot practically does not color the original tone of the IEMs, so regardless of whether you choose this dongle to listen to a Simgot EM6L or a Kiwi Quartet, your ears will hear exactly what the earphones had to deliver.

Still talking about power, the most demanding headphone I have today is a planar Sivga P-II, and it played reasonably well on the DEW4X, asking for high gain on the 3.5 mm output. In any case, it played better on the 4.4 mm, even at low gain. Remembering that I listen to my headphones at between 55 and 65 dB volume.

And in terms of technicalities, I place the DEW4X on the same level as the Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro , that is, it is a dongle that delivers a good level of technicalities for the 80 USD range.

Conclusion

It's a fact that I have Simgot headphones at a very high level, especially the EA500LM and EA1000 that are here on my desk, waiting for their turn to be evaluated. However, unlike headphones, in the case of a dongle there is not much that Simgot can do to bring its identity to the device, except in its design. The problem is that, except for the mirrored case, nothing about the DEW4X reminds me of Simgot headphones.

And this lack of identity is repeated in the sound, after all the DEW4X is another dongle with a CS43198 chip, and that's not a bad thing, given that this Cirrus chip is extremely competent. As a result, the DEW4X is on par with the best dongles on the market, with the advantage of being extremely compact, something that can make a difference when purchasing.

With this in mind, if you are looking for a compact dongle that consumes little power and does not color the sound of your headphones, the Simgot DEW4X should be considered.

Dsnuts

Simgot DEW4X
Pros: Ease of use/ plug n play
2 gain settings
Tiny yet solid build
Single 3.5mm/ 4.4mm balanced
Versatile use case scenarios
Excellent for gaming devices
UAC 1.0 mode for consoles
Very good for music listening.
decent power on a laptop
Clean black background.
Upgrade for your phones sound quality
Neutral-warm signature
Synergy for Harmon/ neutral IEMs
Excellent for Simgot IEMs.
30 set volume buttons
Light indicator and LED for gain settings
Surprisingly dynamic sounding.
No RFI interference.
Cons: Power output is variable based on source pairing.
Fairly weak on a phone.
Need a computer for full power.
Instruction booklet is not that instructive.
Stiff competition.
DSC01610.JPG

The Dac/amp dongle has seen a big surge in variety ever since folks have been tethered permanently to using our phones on a daily basis, it makes a lot of sense to amplify and qualify the sound we are using on the go. Folks that dip their toes in audiophilia or just want better quality sound from their phones, using a little dac/amp aka sound card that easily mitages the low quality and or weak sounding onboard sound we get from our phones and our computers makes a whole bunch of sense.

Simgot DEW4X is yet another smaller form dac/amp dongle but one made by Simgot, if you have been around the headfi threads. These guys have been more recognized for their outstanding dynamic IEMs. They recently introduced their one upgraded IEM cable the LC7 and now we have a series of Dac/Amp dongles that apparently they have been making for a while. The DEW4X is something like their 4th dac/amp dongle and is using dual C43198 Cirrus chips. Full specs are as follows

Dac chip Dual C43198 Cirrus
Decoding specs: PCM:384khz/32bit. DSD DOP128/ Native 256
Body Material: Sandblasted aluminum alloy. Oxidation black
Interchangeable line design
Connector: Type C/ OFC
Output: 3.5mm single, 4.4mm balanced
Output voltage -1SE,2V Bal( Low gain)
-2V SE, 4V Bal ( High gain)
Max output power: 70mW SE, 150mW Bal
THD+N:0.00025% SE,0.0002% Bal
SNR:125db SE, 130db Bal
DNR:125db SE, 130db Bal

DSC01569.JPG

This simple plug n play device has two gain settings easily accessible when connecting the device by pushing both buttons. Its tiny LED indicator will tell you what mode it is in, green for high gain and red for low gain. It is easier to just look into the plug end of the DEW4X to see the colors it is emitting vs straining to see the tiny LED light. Standard low gain setting is certainly enough power to drive just about any IEM in balanced but with more power hungry earbuds and full sized headphones, high gain is needed for full sound. Even then it's not the most powerful dac dongle I own. That title belongs to the Penon Tail.

So this one is more limited in use with most IEMs and efficient headphones at best. Will post some impressions using Fiios FT3 which is a 300 Ohm full sized can and Beyers Amiron Homes which is a 280 Ohm can. My IEMs testing was not an issue with ample volumes and power pushing the sonics no matter what it was connected to. My use case scenario was using them with my phone and an Android gaming device called the Retrid Pocket 4 pro and my main Gaming Laptop.
DSC01567.JPG

What they come with.
Simple box comes with a USB-C to C cable, a USB-C to A adapter for use on your computers and the unit itself. Instructions for the DEW4X is not all that instructive but if you have used DAC dongles before you will have no issue with this one. The unit is made of aluminum and is fairly small even for these DAC dongles. Some comparison pics. It's no bigger than an inch by 1.5inches in length. Small enough to use with most handheld, phone, tablet or gaming device on the go and certainly enough to give you much better sonics.
DSC01679.JPG
Utilizing dual Cirrus C43198, the sound signature here is certainly not too colored but does have a fundamental slight warmth to the sound with some surprising dynamics. The performance of the DEW4X is helped out by some excellent clean sound the unit emits. I did not detect any obvious noise in high gain minus a very hard to detect waterfall from using a 10 Ohm IEM. So overall it is very friendly for IEM use. It's silent background helps the sound to be more dynamic and detailed sounding.Overall I am impressed with its mostly silent clean background with no RFI or EMI noise detected at any time of use. It gives out a moderate stage and stays away from sounding canned or narrow. It's even handed sound performance matches extremely well with Simgots own IEMs the EA200, EA500, EA500LM, EA1000. All of them sounded fantastic using the DEW4X and somehow I have a feeling the DEW4X sound signature was tuned just to synergize with their own IEMs which makes a lot of sense. If the DEW4X sound was more of a brighter neutral tuning I don’t think it would have synergized as well with Simgots own IEMs is my point. Its overall balancing is linear with a slight boost for bass and a slight analog tonal quality. Music has good body with a decent sense of separation with added dynamism that your onboard sound just does not do. It makes music sound like well imaged music and that is the best compliment I can give to a simple device like the DEW4X.
1709740018525.png

Gaming. With UAC 1.0 game mode, these should work with game consoles just fine. Sorry didnt try in console mode but I did test on what I use now. Tested with my gaming device and gaming laptop. This is where I feel the DEW4X actually shines on a small device. My tester is with an Android gaming device called the Retroid Pocket 4 pro. Playing God of War 2 on the device with the DEW4X was so much better than using the included sound on the device. This is where it was very clear to me what the advantage here was. Gaming sounds and its music soundtracks just popped and had some physicality to the bass notes that let me be more immersed in the game I was playing. The difference between using the DEW4X and not using it was clearly evident and much more enjoyable. Just for this use case alone I would give two hardy thumbs up for the DEW4X.
DSC01599.JPG

Testing with my Samsung Galaxy phone.
Due to the sound tuning leaning toward neutral warmth vs neutral bright the DEW4X matches extremely well with neutral brighter and highly detailed IEMs and headphones. IEMs that already have a lot of bass and warmth to their tunings don’t match up as well. Testing the ISN NEO5 which already has a slight warm tonal quality the synergy was just not there. This is the reason why Simgots own IEMs sound so good using the DEW4X. The source is adding a bit of warmth and dynamism to their Simgot harmon tunings. Which ends up making the overall sound experience some of the best synergy from a source and IEM sound matching angle. How they test with cans?
DSC01601.JPG

In High gain with max volumes I was able to listen to the Fiio FT3 which is rated at 300 Ohms and I can tell the little device was struggling to keep up with that volume as it was getting a bit warm to the touch.. The cans I used were listenable but by no means was it able to actually push the Fiio FT3 to even moderate listening levels. (However I found out later when testing out of my laptop it does have good power to drive the FT3 but only on a computer.) The DEW4X did much better using a bit more efficient Beyer Amiron Homes rated at 280 Ohms but one thing for certain. This little device was not really made for full sized moderately difficult to drive Cans, unless you are using your computer to use the DEW4X. Even then I don't feel these little dac dongles do justice for full sized cans in general. Moving over to one of my favorite portable cans in Thinksounds ON2. Which is rated at 50 Ohm. Ok now we are talking. The DEW4X was actually able to give these cans with some solid volumes in single ended. More efficient headphones in the 32-50 Ohms is where I would set the limit of their power ability using your phones. IEMs I used with the DEW4X had no issue with them pushing the sonics. I can see folks with buds in the 150-300 Ohm area might have some issue with the power output of the DEW4X. Testing the 300 Ohm TGXear Serratus. I was able to get the volumes to be fairly loud using max volumes in balanced but otherwise that would be roughly the limit of their power and driving ability.
DSC01602.JPG

Using the EA500LM. This is where the DEW4X really shows how good it can sound. There is no comparison to how dry and non dynamic the stock sonics sounds using my Phones output in comparison and this is really the best use case scenario for the DEW4X. Using your phone on the go. It's small enough to let it hang and unlike some dongles that are physically bigger I am not worried about the weight of the DEW4X damaging the USB-C port of my phone.
DSC01694.JPG

Testing with my laptop.
So apparently using a dedicated computer helps to get much more power to the little unit. The DEW4X now has much more volume using my laptop vs my phone. I can now use the DEW4X with plenty of volume in high gain using the Fiio FT3. Which was difficult to drive using my phone. The sonics using my laptop? Well it's not my Fiio K9 Pro ESS but I was pleasantly surprised with how good the unit sounded using my laptop.

I can see a use case scenario where if you own a light portable laptop for work and some media watching or gaming on the side how the DEW4X would come in handy. My laptop is a gaming laptop with beefy a 350 watt power brick so apparently it will put out more power based on the power of my laptop. Something the specs don’t relay.
DSC01550.JPG

This is something I will mention in the positives and negative section descriptor for the DEW4X as I feel it is that much more significant in power difference going from the much weaker phone vs the power from a laptop connected to a wall. I suppose it makes a lot of sense that only efficient IEMs and cans can be used when the DEW4X is used for portability. I suppose the benefit of the DEW4X using your phone is that it will not draw too much power from your phones and gaming devices. But will show its full power on a laptop.

The good news is you can use your gaming Cans up to 300 Ohms on a laptop. Sonics wise again you can’t expect the dynamism of a full blown Dac/amp in comparison and it doesn't. Even with plenty of volume the Fiio FT3 lacks the punch in the bass and sounds more neutral and much less engaging vs my dedicated Fiio K9 pro ESS. But using them efficient IEMs like my Tansio Mirai-X and any of the Simgot IEMs. The dynamics, punchier extended bass, slightly richer, more full bored mids with a clean treble is heard.
DSC01551.JPG

Conclusion.
The DEW4X is a solid little Dac/amp with good sound and will serve the purpose of getting you better sonics to be heard with your favorite more efficient IEMs and Cans. Its slightly warm yet dynamic sound tuning is more agreeable vs a slightly bright neutral tuning for sources of this type. It is a very easy plug and play device that will be a clear upgrade on your phone's sound output and overall sound quality. Where it truly struts its power is unfortunately not going to be on your phones and tablets. It will be from your plugged-in laptops and desktop computers. Overall, for the asking price of $80 the Simgot DEW4X is very similar to the value proposition of their own IEM, the EA500. I think most people will agree that the EA500 was an outstanding value at its price and so I feel the same way about the DEW4X. It seems very clear to me that Simgot as a company and sound designers know exactly what they are doing with how they tune their sources and IEMs.

I mean how else can you explain just how well their own IEMs match up so well with the sound design of the DEW4X? Overall the value and ease of use makes the DEW4X a solid source for on the go for both media and music. A small portable design to get you greater sonics. In that regard they are excellent at what they do. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Disclaimers. I would like to thank Simgot for the review sample of the DEW4X. You can purchase a DEW4X here and or here.
DSC01684.JPG

Some comparisons.
Fiio KA3. This little amp/ dac is using ES9038Q2M with output power of 130mW @ 32 Ohm single ended and 240mW @ 32 Ohm balanced. The sound signature of the KA3 is more neutral with a clean tuning and lacks a bit of that warmth emitted by the DEW4X. It gives out a touch wider stage and dynamics are on a similar level to the DEW4X but it is more neutral, brighter in character vs neutral slightly warm on the DEW4X. The K3 does have superior specs and power output on paper is a bit weaker but I would say it's fairly similar in power vs the DEW4X. This sound signature does not mesh as well with Simgots IEMs. In this case a clean to brighter sounding source connected to a clean and brighter sounding IEM does not equal synergy. It's not bad here but certainly not exactly how the DEW4X synergizes with Simgots own IEMs. Now if you own warmer bassy IEMs that is where something like the KA3 will synergize better.
DSC01678.JPG

Penon Tail
The DEW4X and the Penon tail share Cirrus logic dacs, dual CS43131 in the Tail vs dual CS43198 in the DEW4X. I will say the Tail here is a much more powerful Dac/amp by default. Its specs are something like 4X the power output of the DEW4X and the only real issue with the Tail is that it is not as refined a product as the DEW4X. I can tell both these units share similar SQ but the Tail here has a clear leg up on power and efficiency over the DEW4X. I don't have a can the Tail can’t drive to full blaring levels. It is more powerful on a phone as well. SQ wise both units have similar dynamism but I will give the slight edge to the Tail here because its got that extra juice that makes it more versatile over the DEW4X. Tail sounds a bit more spacious vs the DEW4X but otherwise both units have very similar signatures including a slight subbass lift. I would imagine if Simgot came out with an upgraded or newer version of the DEW4X that would be something like the Penon Tail. The tail is a larger unit vs the DEW4X and while easy to use it does not have independent volume adjustment. It goes 100% when connected to a laptop which can be dangerous if you have IEMs and Cans attached to it. I found this out first hand several times I used it. Otherwise the DEW4X is a more polished product less power and all. Sound quality wise I would give a slight nod to the Penon Tail in comparison. It sounds a bit more spacious, more rangy and even more dynamic vs the DEW4X this could be due to the added power output of the device that makes it sound more dynamic. I can’t say the DEW4X lacks in these areas in comparison but perhaps a better amplification stage for next version of the Simgot Dac/Amp can aim for such advances. Thanks for taking the time to read.

kesobie

100+ Head-Fier
Simgot DEW4X Review: SMALL, MIGHTY, POWERFUL!
Pros: Very small and ergonomic
Well-built
LED indicators
Sufficient power for in-ears
Minimal power draw
Minimal heat generation
Clean, neutral sound with good extension
Solid pairing with brighter leaning IEMs
Comes included with a type c to type a adaptor
Cons: No up or down indicator on volume knobs
No instructions for the gain and LED on manual
LED is inconveniently placed
Not the most technical sounding source
Bad pairing with smoother IEMs
Not enough power for hard to drive headphones

PRICE: $79​

• LED indicators
  • Sufficient power for in-ears
  • Minimal power draw
  • Minimal heat generation
  • Clean, neutral sound with good extension
  • Solid pairing with brighter leaning IEMs
  • Comes included with a type c to type a adaptor

CONS:​

• No up or down indicator on volume knobs
  • No instructions for the gain and LED on manual
  • LED is inconveniently placed
  • Not the most technical sounding source
  • Bad pairing with smoother IEMs
  • Not enough power for hard to drive headphones

WHO THIS UNIT IS FOR:​

• People looking for a small, lightweight but powerful DAC
  • People looking for a DAC with dedicated volume rockers
  • People looking for a DAC with a gain switch
  • People looking for a smooth but neutral sounding DAC
  • People who want a DAC for brighter-leaning IEMs

WHO THIS UNIT ISN’T FOR​

• People who want the most powerful DAC for the price
  • People who want a technical sounding DAC
  • People who want a more feature-rich DAC
  • People who want a DAC to emphasize details and technicalities
  • People who want a convenient visualization of the LED

SHORT REVIEW:​

The DEW4X marks as a solid CS DAC that does everything you need and nothing you don’t. It’s very compact, well-built and has enough power to drive basically any IEM. It’s also perfect for those who are looking for a neutral-sounding source that smoothens the top end. It’s not the most technical nor the most transient sounding source, but this makes it an even more perfect pair for Simgot’s IEMs. RECOMMENDED!

FULL REVIEW:​

f-9jZL7_1VOXvlPgfyPIKnXz_B1OxVbXV5dwhTqfmpgrFCmExEh7IgubUFRo4CvrhkH_3zpSf5IEQHbC_969V4qIwi0243NIdA4sQuxonXDN2WTekpTIA9cIvi3OMH__VR4fu0g3Yqbioy8uczQSnbU

A hallmark for a great brand means diversifying product offerings to capture a larger market. In audio, this means that besides their transducer-based products like IEMs and headphones, a brand would also like to offer other products like sources, cables and other products.

Simgot, a brand many of you know for their earphones, has also dipped their toes in sources prior. Their DEW series is their source lineup that has not really taken the hearts like their IEMs have. But this only means that the fruit is ripe for picking if they so choose to compete in the source market. So, let’s talk about their latest entry to their DEW series, the DEW4X

DISCLAIMER: This product was sent over by Simgot in exchange for my honest impressions. I was not paid. Rest assured, my thoughts and opinions on this product will be my own honest opinions and will not be affected by the facts beforehand.

Audio is a very subjective hobby and as much as I try to objectively explain my thoughts and opinions, your mileage will vary. My preferences will also affect how I perceive the gear that I review. Sources and other accessories will also modify your experience. Lastly, my reviews should always be used only as a guide and not as the definitive bible. Trust your ears to know what’s good.

THE SOURCE THAT CAN DEW IT ALL!​

Priced at $79, the DEW4X plays it safe by offering the ever-so-popular CS43198 found in many of the dongles coming out recently. This means that it REALLY has to stand out with specific features in order to be competitive in today’s increasingly saturated source market. So what does the DEW4X offer?

SPECS:​

PJqBvfmjYgiS5xYLkTqZi-Osge7yaFC9bQoyTik-A4kDrAxHzBRPhCIUggWVy7vMjuD7fWSAFD1DVWMxzL-gCSrXEdNg3GTAs0Fli66rH_piSGAhEMEpCAFhwgkcI_DGUk7yceuor7Tg28A-41oULhI

DAC Chip: CS43189 x 2
Input/s: USB Type-C
Output: 3.5mm SE / 4.4mm Balanced
Output Load:10ohms - 600ohms
SNR: 3.5mm (125db @ 32ohms) / 4.4mm (130db @ 32ohms)\
Distortion: 3.5mm (0.0005%@32ohms) / 4.4mm (0.0003%@32ohms)
Output Power: (RL = 32ohms, THD: N+<1%) 70mw x 2 3.5mm / 150mw x 2 4.4mm Balanced)
Frequency Range: 20hz - 40khz

UNBOXING:​

SzmAu18gV85CLmfqMPR9-M0hgVztkPI3Ed95L6IXiAk-n3WcFF9T4OR6heoZlgbA50PiE5hJh5jvyKqDYn_8KlEqyqCwXVL58iFYsjGUFixcYZoA4ogpEsbnZeRhunCd-jgYmNS1HcwwBvStoIy8zZk

The DEW4X comes in a small, shiny box with a rather distinct looking X in front. Some of you may be reminded of a recently renamed social media site that you may or may not be happy with. Nonetheless, it’s quite an interesting comparison.

Opening the box, you’re met with the DAC in its foam throne along with the rest of the accessories.

Here is a full list of the accessories:
  • (1x) Simgot DEW4X
  • (1x) Type C to Type C Cable
  • (1x) Type A to Type C adaptor
  • Paperwork

O_KUtZsRTohjnrkXwTgZH4t_reEkyy_h4C1oP5A9mRjawnCzOoxklLVCUKZxjQKEdb3z3C-UFtAOrrDpy3w971Coxv_GY60LvP6QniDMqF2Y2nlwtYKuLuk4OZKC-BJQ45hN_0Of9EsgdT4HZcenh7Y

I never really expected dongle DACs to come with more than what you need, so I really don’t have much to comment on with the inclusions. The included cable, however, I’d like to talk about as it feels quite nice and sturdy. The adapter is also a nice but certainly required addition.

BUILD QUALITY AND INTERFACE:​

1mKNcZlpK24TvfRFQm15kbgay_O2r03K2ocQl-HxfVby2RphqIO8pPnXYV66Fe82s3FgNgwvBU7OhDyUgoIf6hKj0lFKv3XkDjdisGeamdID3M6z9FIGJYme8svKthm8m1Ojt64gM_h1Vv3SwpEliVE

There’s not a lot of information about the material of the DEW4X, but all I can say is that this thing feels surprisingly premium for how small and inexpensive it is. It has a full aluminum material with what seems to be a matte black finish,

9BG_zn6EpaTWNJyuDp4tqaMLVgk8SCGeBqAr6RigFncLO9GOSFlKD5jI8OaEwpoCjrgfC1lZ5BubAYkWJzlia7ZJbGXeJaXDdjuFIqUsXPqcf8Do92PlXbYFyBZ37_mNnPtUBW2ji8_dmsrPQepO_PM

It is absolutely tiny with dimensions of 41.7 x 24.2 x 12.0mm. This ensures that this will fit in even your small IEM pouch, although it is on the thicker side so be wary of that when shoving it with your IEMs.

zuMERAHpK8Vq6W7FIMGtlSZWZr11urEexxNvtSPcRzgEXCxugWPUEdDQUyaZ1DIloXsZXBrU778GfHoFxBevwXbNwUPwSalsKTc-0DHpgBxNsH3wPbZhyo3uYyDcRqebQd6I59L1D3v8NLRa8fF5c5o

A similar X that we found on the front of the box is seen on the top of the DEW4X. You can find the 4.4mm and 3.5mm jacks up front with the buttons on the left when the logo is top-facing and the jack in front. Below, you can find a rather odd print of the name of the DAC along with the decoding parameters and the tried and tested HiFi certification. Truly a HiFi product! And at the very back, we can find the Type-C input.

t2FlIPiBzqOfoA3AMvuNfpSAleD9UdK9hvi2JXWG8NP-bixT5bnPUAlzBaGVUF9ru_5ShgkElgzGili-YzMtpvNTkNnaRIWjsaMs5lvamzRnyAjt6aooiZBfYV-vP-9xrpxTe3NECPtJ4lJlHlW0JQ4

There’s also a VERY tiny hole near the type-c connector, but this is largely unusable and inconvenient.

9ieueXoiV05isr-8kEpnmxRkte31grg626KNj3fXGoZlRvx3Lp1XW82V8uHcQNvsaiAYMOzl7M8vnJJ8Lb-vNHFlHipjn3JKwndmqWuZ2caa8w6-WOpf8JqtrvWiQSHSgp9UJX30aWf81y48kThew_Y

My very small nitpick about the interface of the DEW4X is that the buttons have no indicator to know which lowers the volume or which increases it. This means awkward fiddling in the dark or even in light. It would’ve been nice if they had embossed it to have a tactile feel of which is + and which is -. Otherwise, I love the form factor of the DEW4X! It’s so small and pocketable which allows it to be very easy to transport and use as your daily source.

USAGE:​

To somewhat centralize my review of this DAC, I’d like to introduce a couple of new parameters when reviewing sources. These include compatibility, features, sound,heat dissipation and battery drain. Sound will encompass the power output as well as the sound presentation. Let’s get started!

Ease of Use​

GHYLRZxJkHq0b00KANiktX0a587ZeyWD-oL6PqxOkleDvbVTlXltEHpUbudAlZc87JHBgJ_VAKbzJ-vqGbWkihRPpNPm0dn00y2ujxQO2EnEQ5e5rQRzKdD1rYNRv7BDaIjSMVYZlVj9N72QjW10XQo

At first glance, the DEW4X may seem like a very simple device that you just plug and play. However, if you have 0 knowledge about other DACs that feature the same chip as the DEW4X, you might completely miss the LED indicator and the volume rockers that also act as the gain switch.

The only things mentioned in the manual were the UAC setting as well as basic setup which are most likely the first thing someone would do upon getting the DAC. This had the effect of me not knowing there was a gain switch and how many volume steps there are until the last few days of my write-up.

If a complete newbie sets up the DEW4X without knowing about the LED and especially the gain control, they’d probably be using only half the power of the DAC and not knowing if they’re decoding the right files or not.

COMPATIBILITY:​

I personally had no issues with compatibility with the DEW4X. All devices tested worked, including my Huawei phone which is often finicky with certain DACs. Here’s a full list of the devices I tested the DEW4X on:
  • Huawei Nova 7 SE

• Dual CS43198 Chips
  • UAC 1.0
  • PCM 384kHz/32 Bit
  • DSD 256

A rather basic set of features, but nothing that I’m not grateful for. There’s really no need for extra gimmicks if you can just put out good sound!

It does feature dedicated volume rockers and an LED indicator that can only be seen through the jack or the very small hole near the type-c connector. The LED indicator can indicate the type of file being played (although it is not stated in the manual) if you’ve reached the highest/lowest volume and whether you’re in low or high gain. None of the LED functionality and even the gain modes are mentioned in the manual but are found on the website at the very bottom of the fine print.

Heat Dissipation​

dpVBBHIciLij5bE-2INAAovinN-i8T54uKFtrx4AlVX-V-WxZXNeW3ZSGKXbql2jH2EF0h8dYM6v9DHwoDNUA6hMUMAJQScq5lZh30TLRP0wKtv5ivhTf6BECtRzuPLi_m18pLSdsi3FqQEwuOEYnnE

After 30 minutes of continuous play, I’m happy to state that the heat generated from the DAC is very minimal and is just naturally warm. I have no worries when touching the DAC after long listening sessions.

Battery Drain​

After 30 minutes of continuous play, I went from 100% to 96%. This means 4% per 30 minutes on average which is quite impressive. I was expecting around at least 6-8% already ticked down, especially with the power output of the DEW4X.

SOUND​

Power Output:​

XZjM-VBme699MEWLp26m3aWC9_JS3JOOobLHdjIW4C-mrBVs3g0h_0M7T7NmPalsxCIYSqvELbDnAnJrFQAcbZffSWQM7EqT4wzWkkssJ5mv23B3KOIMcy7WYpO-cU0QDhZ1SoBpYEvoGaueUzu55Fc

The DEW4X features a total of 31 ticks on its dedicated volume rocker. As for drivability, this was capable of driving easy IEMs with no hitches or issues as the volume goes low enough while being able to drive lower sensitivity IEMs like the KZ PR3 with a comfortable listening level of 23 ticks out of 29 on 3.5mm mode while going 18 ticks on the Letshuoer S15 on 4.4mm. This is quite impressive, especially considering the 98db of sensitivity from the PR3 that’ll surely get most sources chugging for power.

NOISE​

6aYcT8LsNzSfFY0gNh34l4Dg11KrajQTZJPFfZ-q0YeNXreQjDk9JX57B9m0Xld_7fPmIzmElj56Qxj7CIe_xAnRpEzoknjHR2JR6AfK5UQmdNIDcD7UmbxHaXyphrTfWQrdElgVKxWn-XUGt9_U8Gs

I did not experience any audible noise when paired with sensitive IEMs like the Letshuoer D13. All BA sets like the HiBy Yvain also proved no problem when it comes to potential noise when using more sensitive transducers.

Sound Presentation:​

The DEW4X has a generally neutral presentation with a slight emphasis on both the low end and high end without pushing the vocals too much. It gives the midrange a nice, open but articulate transparent presentation that doesn’t color the sound of the IEM much. It emphasizes extending and boosting both ends while smoothening potential peaks. This however comes at the cost of transient ability and a few dynamics, making these perfect for fast or bright-sounding sets that might come across as a little too snappy or edgy sounding. It doesn’t overly smoothen transients, but it’s distinct enough to notice when using it on sets like the KZ PR3 or their own Simgot EA500LM

As for its technical ability, it doesn’t provide an overly analytical sonic presentation so separation and layering aren’t mind-blowingly exceptional. It is, however, very clean with how it separates instruments as there’s no added grit, grain, or roughness in instruments that some less refined sources showcase.

Pairings:​

S8YW4vu3ixJdHmZPG6EXsa015C_wodOCy3p7AovfGLMsKkmBWuuRq18nxUkikI3T66EAnL2gLrZkAa4dj2qxXDrZZMKngKtKRk9uwTcXZzgbuMnNZMGDALgsjgG2ePYW81Z1c2uTA35z3C4xVQRCBXI

I’ve already stated the PR3 and EA500LM as the solid pairings with the DEW4X which should give you the idea that this is a source that would be nicely paired with brighter leaning transducers. It smoothens the top enough gracefully without making it sound dull or dark as it keeps the fundamental nuances. The boost in the low end also makes the bass region sound more alive and rich, but doesn’t meddle the midbass all that much so it stays clean.

Sc70g_DljPIxavHu4oM7GdU7JcgiHX8DqkguEPgskUmykcR63JvmcD1rEj1M1rrYXS2BK4-DMrrI08GyEWaAIawj0OG5IEBRqlMpRKVYW5vizSyfHvGe_gnaPLlZXInnGYF2xPNjUry0xaC3sDasFa0

Where this isn’t as nice to pair with is darker, already smooth transducers. Something like the Tripowin Kailua or the Letshuoer S15 prefers a slightly brighter source due to their lush and smooth sonic presentation. The S15 fairs a little better thanks to its planar nature, but I personally preferred a brighter leaning source for that still.

mgmBaEUmdIpv-3HVTfyyZkvz-OshlVG9TSTaaWXPWtBOLuxbzi1O8jOafW3aBEl57HAJOR8pQC2w83TRglQmM8H2HFP9aTnwaLQiu3kCso73sJ3e2arf2ChWJeqhMJeKLDDap3zFIi_udny2AhdsLX8

When using full-sized headphones like the Philipps SHP9500, it stretches all the way to 29 on some tracks and 26 on most on low gain and peaking at 25 on most tracks in high gain. It’s not necessarily lacking in terms of volume, but the headroom might be a little uncomfy fort some people.

COMPARISONS:​

Vs Hidizs XO ($99)​

SS-CqhSJPND8qrcLdvYHpEKGxSPvjMS0SspGnl8Ckipr848SrE6LWqFlZhq37QN-S8UPHD4eHjBCnkrF_e2I2XO6DenLB4fAnvFA843ymwtZjGe2sVrBw4Ff_NZYBak8qfeEK5o1i_hte4CynU9qF60

The XO is a rather peculiar DAC featuring dual ES9219C chips, RGB and different filter mods all with the change of a button. I personally prefer the form factor of the XO due to its slimmer, albeit larger design. Flatness and long is often more pocketable than small and stubby.

As for features, the XO is ahead in some regards and behind in others. For example, RGB and digital filters. Do you need them? No. But are they cool? Absolutely. The DEW4X takes a more conservative but more functional approach with dedicated volume rockers. The XO also features MQA, but that is a dying/dead tech that the DEW4X would rather not have anything to do with.

As for other features, XO boasts more like independent crystal oscillators which the DEW4X doesn’t explicitly state.

As for sound, the XO features a brighter, more transparent sound with more defined transients and dynamics compared to the DEW4X’s smoother but well-balanced sound. I’d say that if you wanted something that brought details out better, the XO would be a better choice. However, sets with a brighter leaning tuning would prefer the DEW4X’s smoother sound.

CONCLUSION​

I’ll admit, the DEW4X exceeded my expectations as a dongle DAC. Despite being so small, it packs a lot of power and sounds very clean while at it. There was little to no noise and the sound quality is quite smooth but still well-extended. It’s not the most technical-sounding source, but I don’t think that it tries to be. It’s a comfortable, smooth, and versatile DAC for most if not all of your IEMs.

It’s definitely not for those who are looking for something to power their full-sized headphones, however, as even on the SHP9500 it starts to lack a bit of headroom. The inconvenient position of the LED and the lack of instructions about it is also quite odd as I really feel like they could’ve implemented the LED better.

Nonetheless, it’s a powerful enough DAC with a smooth enough sound to make it a great entry into Simgot’s source game this 2024.

Thank you for checking out my full review of the Simgot DEW4X. Big thanks Simgot for sending over the unit in exchange for my honest thoughts. If you would like to buy your own check out the non-affiliated link below: https://www.linsoul.com/products/simgot-dew4x

If you have any questions or concerns, contact me on my Facebook page or at obodioreviews@gmail.com

Enjoy music and have a great day!

WATCH FULL REVIEW HERE:

18.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0

ICYGENIUS

Simgot DEW4X review of dac by ICYGENIUS 🎧
Pros: Very compact and lightweight
Almost does not heat up
Dual DAC Ciruss Logic 43198
DSD 256 / 32 bit 384khz
There is support for game consoles in UAC 1.0 mode
Powerful and capable of driving all of my in-ear headphones without issue, including heavier full-size dynamic headphones
It looks very stylish and fresh, I like its design
Sounds neutral and does not change the sound of your headphones
Has a very mature and technical amazing sound
High-level attacks and transients
Cons: For me there are no downsides, it performs its function perfectly, but what else is required of it? Just enjoy it!
Introduction!
Hello friends!
I welcome everyone, today in the review we will look at an excellent DAC from the SIMGOT company!
It comes in a very small box with a chrome effect, and here is the name that it received, namely DEW4X.
IMG_2328.jpg

And on the back it says what kind of DAC they gave us!
This is a dual Cirrus Logic 43198, it has support for DSD 256, it reproduces up to 32bit 384 kHz, and the output power is 70x2 mW at 3.5, and 150x2 mW for the balanced output, and I’ll say right away that despite these values, it rocks all my headphones easily with good reserve, of course, if we are not talking about some heavy full-size planars, then of course you will need a different source and I think everyone already knows this, but for in-ear headphones and dynamic full-size headphones, the reserve here is very large, especially at high gain levels.
Well, another interesting thing is that it can be used with some game consoles in UAC 1.0 mode.

IMG_2327.jpg

And of course, the DAC works without problems and is detected on Windows, MAC OS, Android, and iOS, no drivers need to be installed, although if there was an ASIO driver it would be great, but otherwise you can do without it.
Let's take a look at what's included!
And here everything is actually simple, we get the capacitor itself, a very good complete braided cable with the inscription Simgot on both connectors, and small instructions in two languages.
IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

The DAC itself looks great in my opinion, it has a pure black body color and has a large X logo and a very small inscription DEW4X here.
It’s worth saying that it is made of aircraft-grade aluminum alloy, so it is very light and as compact as possible and weighs only 24 grams.

IMG_2333.jpg

And here is an input for connecting the supplied usb type c cable which you can connect it to either a smartphone or a computer using this supplied adapter!
IMG_2337.jpg

And at the other end there are two outputs, a gold-plated balanced 4.4 and a standard 3.5 jack for connecting headphones.

IMG_2338.jpg

And this is what the bottom panel looks like =)
IMG_2336.jpg

And on the side there are two buttons with a characteristic click that increase or decrease the volume, and if you press two at once, we will switch the gain level and in order to switch to high and make sure that everything worked, just connect it to your smartphone and if the LED inside lights up blue then this means that the gain level is set to high, but if you press the buttons it will switch to low and change color to green.
IMG_2335.jpg

And by the way, what’s also important is that it always saves your last volume, so there won’t be a problem with when you connect your dac and headphones and it shoots sharply in your ears haha, I think many people have had this happen, so there’s no such problem here.
How about sound?
And now, friends, let's talk about the most important thing, namely the sound of this device, and as I expected, everything is very good here and the DAC essentially does not contribute anything of its own to the signal, it sounds as adult as possible and correctly, not inferior to my Topping g5, simgot has exactly the same the same neutral absolutely monitor slightly warm sound signature, without any additional amplification and emphasis of both low mids and high frequencies.
But everything is as usual, it will depend on your headphones that you will connect to it, and since it is very powerful, planar in-ears for it are exactly what you need, I listened to the Letshuoer s15 and Hidizs mp145, and Simgot Ea1000/EA500 and Em6L, and I’ll say even more over the last few days, I’ve been using only this DAC, and I was completely satisfied because it copes with them generally perfectly and doesn’t at all hide or spoil the overall sound signature of these models!
And here there is absolutely excellent control over all frequencies even at high volumes, no blurring of attacks, on the contrary, they are very clear and distinct and the transients are excellent, and there is only excellent separation and good edge development. Including hybrid models, but I would advise buying headphones for at least about the same price as your source, as this will be the most rational solution.

My conclusion on this dac:
SIMGOT DEW4X is an excellent, super compact small DAC amplifier, with very good power and the correct and most natural adult and super transparent sound, and it left me with only positive impressions, I highly recommend it for purchase!
Link where you can buy them!
Aliexpress:https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005006470823170.html
Linsoul:https://www.linsoul.com/products/simgot-dew4x

I will be glad if you subscribe to my YouTube channel and watch this full review on SIMGOT DEW4X!

The smallest dong
Pros: 1. Very small size (probably the smallest dong out there)

2. Fantastic battery life

3. A good balance between sounding warm and neutral

4. The price

5. Great simple packaging which includes all the accessories
Cons: 1. Will have problem driving very hard to drive iems (Probably the only con for me)
Imagepipe_129 (2).jpg

Introduction:-

Hey today I will be an unique product from simgot. A dac from simgot, although they have had dacs in china and some in International market too. This is the Dew4x

I have also shared a video version of the review at YouTube any support there in form of a view, A like or A subscribe is greatly appreciated. But if you so wish to read the written version you can read this.

This is a review unit from SIMGOT and all the thoughts and opinions are my own.

Buy it here (unaffiliated link) :-

Amazon US :- https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-SIMGOT-DEW4X-Portable-Amplifier/dp/B0CSFCQZB3

Amazon UK :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linsoul-SIMGOT-DEW4X-Portable-Amplifier/dp/B0CSFCQZB3

Aliexpress :- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806284508418.html?

I will be as usual following my bullet style format for better readability for those who are dyslexic and in general find it hard to read long paragraphs. I follow this guide in general from the British Dyslexia Association.

So lets start the review

Imagepipe_130 (2).jpg

Review:-

1. It is priced at around $79 and it comes with the dual CS43198 dac chip which is the same dac chip as the one in Aune Yuki, moonriver 2 and the truthear shio.

2. The box is really simple, it has the twitter x logo on it, the dac, usb c cable and usb c to a converter for pc. Very simple and effective packaging

3. The Dac is very small and light, I think so it is one of the few dongle dacs which I can attach to the usb c port and use it while it dangles as it is very light.

4. It has 30 volume steps and also the high and low gain can be accessed by pressing the volume + and – at same time.

Volume graph of the DEW4X -

Imagepipe_128 (2).jpg

5. I will leave the power specs here so that you can read it.

Imagepipe_127 (2).jpg

6. the led light is a bit muted which I personally like. Although some might have a bit of a hard time to read it.

7. There are no filters here.

8. As for power they are a bit weak and required a significant volume boost to listen to my tanchjim kara.

9. But this less power comes at a boost of battery life which when played through the 3.5mm and low gain is very good.

10. As for the sound it is very neutral with a tinge of warmness.

11. Again the dongle cannot be judged in its own and it can be only as good as the iem you are pairing.

12. The bass and the mids are very neutral with no colouration whatsoever.

13. The treble is very neutral too but the overall edginess of treble when listening to iems like timeless ae and ea1000 those are rounded of a bit.

14. The soundstage and imaging is very wide, very precise and reproduces it very well with all my iems.

Imagepipe_131 (2).jpg

15. The tonality and timbre of the dongle is very good.

16. It is not the best in details as aune yuki, hiby fc6. Muse hifi m4 does well in that aspect. But then again the yuki and fc6 is quite more expensive and the m4 could cbe considered bright by some.

17. The battery life I got with these were insane rated at around 17 hours! I played it via the 3.5mm low gain at aorund 30% volume with the moondrop chu 2

18. It has got good amount of technicalities without sounding too Piercy.

19. It also support inline mic controls but not the mic of an iem.
I mistakenly wrote this. Sorry 😅

20. Overall for $80 I think they are a great purchase for a dongle, If you wanted a neutral dongle but with a tinge of warm sound this does a good job at that.

21. One of the big advantage of the dew4x is that it is very small but performs very well and also the battery backup is a great advantage of this dongle.

22. So that was my review, i hope you liked it.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day ahead! Bye!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me and also if you have any issues regarding this format of review please do comment I will try to mend it. Also sorry to those who are used to reading long paragraphs of review in headfi. I hope my review was upto the mark, I appreciate any feedback.

Again a big thanks to SIMGOT for making this review happen.

Have a great day ahead :)
hokagoteatimereviews
Hello, sorry I mistakenly wrote that I fixed it now.

Should update my other reviews too 😅

Thank you for spotting it.
Kindlefirehditaly
Infact it doesn't work with mic or inline commands. I guess wrong specifications
hokagoteatimereviews
No it doesn't sadly most dongle DACs avoid the ADC.

Simgot DEW4X: Small & Mature
Pros: Build Quality
Metal body
Small dual CS for now
Neutral (hint of warm) – analytical
Volume buttons
Gain switch
Independent volume + many volume steps
Runs quite cold also on heavy load
Type C adapter + good quality type C cable
Cons: No App
No really visible LED (there is an LED on the PCB but they didn’t include a visible hole in the shell)

Disclaimer:​

IMG_20240208_135457-scaled.jpg

Hi everyone! After having had the opportunity to get to know Simgot with the review of the EM6L, they also sent me their brand new DAC/Dongle, the Simgot DEW4X.

It is my first dongle with the Cirrus Logic CS43198 chip. I don’t know exactly if it should differ much from the more common CS43131 but I will try to convey to you as best I can the sensations I have had.

Though I’m still not as skilled as the most knowledgeable person you can find online, I’m starting to acquire an intriguing amount of Dac.

The review, as always, will be completely unbiased and uninfluenced.

I would like to remind you that I am just a person who enjoys trying out new items and listening to a lot of music; I am not an expert.

My opinions are obviously subjective.

Tech Specs:​

• Cable: 105mm
  • Weight: 24g
  • Price: 79.99 USD

Packaging:​

The box is decidedly simple: thin cardboard with a chrome effect. The package opens in a classic way; we find the Simgot DEW4X among some foam.

Front Box

First look & accessories
IMG_20240208_135602-scaled.jpg
High quality type C cable
IMG_20240208_140256-scaled.jpg

Given the price of the dongle, the packaging is absolutely perfect, the set of accessories is complete and the covered cable is nice and thick but still has good flexibility. I would say it is of excellent quality.

Build quality/First impressions:​

I confess that I thought it was bigger but in reality, it is one of the most compact dual chips. The construction is very solid and simple. The metal body has satin black paint; on the front we find the “X” logo, which vaguely resembles that of Twitter; and on the back we have some specifications and acronyms. As you will see from the photos, the design is very minimal, so minimal that even the volume buttons do not have + and – signs (many others have no signs at all). The feedback from the buttons is excellent, they are stable and seem resistant and durable.

IMG_20240208_135748-scaled.jpg
IMG_20240208_135648-scaled.jpg
IMG_20240208_135703-scaled.jpg
Type C + Small hole (LED?)
IMG_20240208_140033-scaled.jpg

The same goes for the LED inside, which does not have its own hole but can be seen by looking inside the outputs. I am not sure if it was a design decision, but they could have used the X on the front to light it up. Actually, looking more closely at the body, there is a small hole near type C! Honestly, you can see the LED light better by looking at the outputs.

Power:​

This is not the most powerful dongle; the market is raising the bar with each passing month. Fiio has dropped several bombs, including the Fiio KA11 and KA17, which have absurd powers. However, it’s not just a matter of brute power. I expected the Simgot DEW4X to produce a sound similar to that of a DAC equipped with CS43131. The shape indicates that the motherboard is not the standard PCB that is commonly used on multiple dongles. In terms of pricing, it is comparable to the Hidizs S9 Pro Plus, which is slightly more powerful.

Low Gain (green)
High Gain

Testing the SE 3.5mm with 140 mW at 32 ohm:

• Simgot EM6L, no kind of problem obviously so I added a 75 ohm impedance, which allows me to reach the maximum volume but the sound pressures are still high.
  • Epz x Tipsy Star One with a 75 Ohm adapter, the sound pressure is still excellent. I would say that for most IEMs, they will have no problems.

Testing the BAL 4.4mm with 300 mW at 32 ohm:

• Hidizs MP145 requires a bit of extra amplification to express themselves at their best and I would say that you can’t complain here. Open soundstage and an excellent performance. Perhaps the DAC’s tendency to be slightly brighter pairs well with the set.
  • Hifiman He400se After testing them with the Fosi Sk02 (full review coming soon), I admit that the difference can be felt. It’s not so much the question of the sound pressure reaching the same high levels, but I believe it is precisely the power reserve of the DAC that you connect to it that gives it dynamics, depth, and thickness. Let’s say that the DEW4X does well overall but if you have some full-size planars, you need to increase the power.

Sound Signature:​

I must say that despite it being the first dongle with this chip, I was positively surprised by the overall sound quality and as a chip, it is slightly superior to the more widespread CS43131, where, in my opinion, some details are lost. Obviously, I would like to remind you that to establish these things, you should put each dongle on a test bench and measure everything with precise instruments. My review is based on what my ears heard, with possible placebo effects included.

IMG_20240208_140552-scaled.jpg
IMG_20240208_140523-scaled.jpg
IMG_20240208_140503-scaled.jpg
IMG_20240208_140159-scaled.jpg
IMG_20240208_140149-scaled.jpg
IMG_20240208_140454-scaled.jpg

We don’t have digital filters but at least we can change the gain by pressing both buttons together at the same time. To understand which mode you are in, you have to look inside the outputs: if you see blue, you are on high gain; if it is green, you are on low gain.

Fast Comparison:​

vs iBasso DC04 Pro

IMG_20240102_105611-scaled.jpg

iBasso DC04pro has something more than the others; they may be small things but although the chip is identical to that of the Moondrop Dawn Pro, the OP-Amp department is evidently more refined. I don’t think the price difference is just a matter of brand but to be sure, they would need a teardown. It comes across as more musical and refined, with a soundstage that seems wider.

vs Hidizs S9 PRO PLUS

Side Hidizs S9 Pro Plus

Hidizs S9 Pro is a decidedly good model; like all the Hidizs I have tried, they are not very analytical but a little colorful to my ear. In price, it is equivalent to the Simgot DEW4X and personally, I prefer it. It has a sound that I would define as more “mature.”

vs Moondrop Dawn Pro

IMG_20231222_105615-scaled.jpg
First look Moondrop Dawn Pro
If you are on a limited budget, this is the best choice if you are interested in balanced output. Furthermore, it is slightly smaller than the DEW4X, even if the quality is slightly lower. Here we find the accompanying app where you can manage your dongle. Read the full review for more information.

Who do I recommend this DAC to?​

IMG_20240213_132910-scaled.jpg

The Simgot DEW4X is an excellent dongle that is ultra-compact and has a decidedly more robust appearance than the competition. I am just sorry that some minor details were overlooked, such as the LED, which did not have a dedicated hole on the shell. Watching through the audio outputs is not a big deal, but it seems like a minor oversight. I’m sure a companion app would have been useful to many, but apart from a few important brands, there are usually no accompanying apps.

Personally, in terms of sound quality, I currently place it immediately after the iBasso DC04Pro, followed by the Hidizs S9 Pro. However, if I had a limited budget, I would definitely take a look at the Moondrop Dawn Pro or the Fiio KA11.

Where to buy:​

Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.com

Aliexpress
Kindlefirehditaly
yes @Redcarmoose ..there is a hole you can't really see and for me it's as if it didn't exist.
kapsontong
kapsontong
The hole is so small till it’s negligible
sofastreamer
the difference to the CS43131 is that the new one doesnt bring an amp stage with it. so i wonder which way any details should get lost.

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: Small and compact profile
Solid build
Independent volume control, with fine steps
Warm neutral fatigue-free sonics
Organic timbre
Above average technicalities
Clean and textured bass
No hiss with fussy gear
Has a gaming console UAC 1.0 mode
Cons: May get slightly warm when driving more demanding transducers
Decent power, but can't drive demanding transducers
No screen, app or EQ functions
DISCLAIMER

I would like to thank the Simgot for providing this unit.

This DEW4X can be gotten here: https://www.linsoul.com/products/simgot-dew4x (no affiliate links).

DEW 7.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS/COMPATIBILITY

DAC Chip:
Dual C43198 Cirrus chips
Weight: 24 g
Dimensions: 41.7 x 24.2 x 12.0 mm
Decoding specifications: PCM: 384kHz/32 bit; DSD: Dop 128/Native 256
Frequency response: 20 Hz - 40 kHz
Output ports: 3.5 mm (single-ended) and 4.4 mm (balanced)
Output power: 2 x 70 mW (3.5 mm) and 2 x 150 mW (4.4 mm)
Noise floor: 1 uVrms (3.5 mm) and 1.5 uVrms (4.4 mm)
SNR: 125 dB (3.5 mm) and 130 dB (4.4 mm)
Distortion: 0.00025% (3.5 mm) and 0.0002% (4.4 mm)
Tested at: $79.99 USD

The DEW4X is a plug-and-play device, with no need for the installation of additional drivers on Windows 10 and above. It was instantly recognized on multiple Android and Windows devices I paired it to (apologies I'm not an Apple user and can't verify compatibility with Apple ecosystem gear).

The DEW4X has no app, DAC filters or internal EQ software.

Interestingly, the DEW4X can be used for some gaming consoles (in UAC 1.0 mode). By default, it operates in UAC 2.0 on powering up. To get it to UAC 1.0, when the dongle is not powered, press and hold the "volume +" button, then connect it to the gaming console. Once it starts flashing, you will know that it is in UAC 1.0 mode.

ACCESSORIES

DEW 3.jpg

Other than the dongle, the DEW4X packaging contains:
- USB-A to USB-C adapter
- USB-C to USB-C cable

DEW 2.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no lightning adapter inside for our Apple fans.

The USB-C stock cable measures 105 mm, and is fashioned from OFC, with an EMI shielded sheathing. Braiding is good and it is supple.

DESIGN/FUNCTION

The DEW4X is manufactured from CNC-machined aviation-grade aluminum alloy, and is literally built like a tank. Sandblasting oxidation is then employed on the chassis to furnish a black matte finish.

It is extremely portable, weighing a mere 24 g, and measuring 41.7 x 24.2 x 12.0 mm. Indeed, its small profile should easily fit inside a pocket or little carrier, unlike longer and more obtrusive dongles.

This dongle does not have any LED screen display. On one end, we have the 3.5 mm (single-ended) and 4.4 mm (balanced) ports, with the latter having gold-plated reinforcement.

Dew 4.jpg

The opposite side has a USB-C port, for powering the device and data transfer.

Dew 5.jpg

On the lateral aspect, we have the volume buttons. These are round and large, which are easily pressed. Good haptic design IMO. The volume controls are finely-tuned to 30 steps, with independent control, unlike some pricier dongles like the Questyle M15. The device remembers the volume it was last used at, so replugging it into an upstream source retains the last volume setting.

DEW 6.jpg

Pressing both buttons simultaneously will toggle between the high and low gain functions.

INTERNALS

This dongle DAC/Amp houses dual C43198 cirrus chips, and can support up to PCM: 384kHz/32 bit and DSD: Dop 128/Native 256.

SOUND/PERFORMANCE

I tested the DEW4X with only Android phones and Windows laptops and PCs. As I am not an Apple user, I can't vouch for their performance with Apple devices.

Tonally, the DEW4X sports a warm neutral fatigue-free signature. This is very pleasant and suited for long listening sessions, and will be a kindred spirit for edgier or harsher transducers.

Bass extension is good, with some slight boost in the lower-end. Bass comes across as punchy and tight, with texturing a highlight. The midrange is relatively neutral and transparent. Treble has a tinge of roll-off at the upper treble, but this assists in bestowing a sibilant-resistant tone.

Timbre is very organic and natural, with a fuller note weight heard. Technically, soundstage is above average, with spaciousness heard. Micro-detailing is more than acceptable for a non-treble boosted source, with good imaging and instrument separation.

The DEW4X has 3.5 mm (single-ended) and 4.4 mm (balanced) ports, with high and low gain settings. The latter 2 output provides more power. On high gain, with the 4.4 mm, the DEW4X is rated for 150 mW, which is very decent, but not class-leading.

My acid tests for source testing include 3 of my hardest to drive gear:
1) Final Audio E5000 (low sensitivity at 93dB/mW)
2) Sennheiser HD650 (high impedance at 300ohm)
3) Yinman 600 ohm (600 ohm impedance and 87db/mW sensitivity)

The above were tested with the 4.4 mm (balanced) port, on high gain.

The E5000 has decent bass speed and texturing, though there is a bit of a smearing noted during complex bass passages. The Sennheiser HD650 has surprisingly up-to-scratch dynamics, with a clean bass heard. I have to say though, that desktop-based amps - and perhaps some outlier dongles like the Fiio KA13 and KA17 - would do a more refined job for the E5000 and HD650.

Unfortunately, the DEW4X cannot pass the final boss. It is not a matter of volume, just that the Yinman 600 ohm has a bloated and one-noted bass, with dearth of dynamics. This is no shame though, as many pricier dongles and DAPs also fall short in powering this most demanding of earbuds, and generally a desktop-grade source is required to do the sonics justice.

This dongle doesn't hiss even with fussy high sensitivity IEMs, which reflects on quality internals. Simgot has provided no output impedance (OI) specs, but to my ears, the OI should be relatively low, as some of the low impedance IEMs I plugged in sounded similar in tonality.

The DEW4X may get slightly warm, especially when it is required to drive tougher transducers, but it is not scalding compared to rival dongles.

COMPARISONS

The DEW4X will be compared against some dongles that reside at just below the $100 USD mark.

DEW 8.jpg

Truthear Shio

The Shio is also a dual CS43198 DAC dongle, and it likewise has an independent volume controller. Tonally, the SHIO is warmer with more coloured and emphasized mid-bass. The Shio also pushes out 150 mW on its 4.4 mm port, which isn't anything to write home about when it comes to powering more demanding gear.

The Shio lags behind in technicalities, with a poorer soundstage, instrument separation, edge definition and imaging. The Shio is bigger in size.

Fiio KA13

The KA13 is a neutral bright dongle that utilizes dual CS43131 DAC chips. It also has an independent volume controller. The KA13 is more sterile sounding, with a thinner note weight. Timbre is worse on the KA13, and it is a tinge more fatiguing.

The KA13 has a slightly larger soundstage, with better micro-detailing, though the DEW4X has superior imaging and layering.

The KA13 can pump out 550 mW on its 4.4 mm desktop mode, which trumps the 150 mW on offer with the DEW4X. However, this big power comes at a price, as the KA13 is a battery-hogger, compared to the more efficient DEW4X.
The KA13 gets a bit hotter during usage, but has an app to play with filters and lighting.

The KA13 is larger in profile.

CONCLUSIONS

DEW 1.jpg

The DEW4X presents a warm neutral agreeable soundscape, with fatigue-free sonics. It pairs well with edgier gear to smoothen out the harshness in the top-end. Technicalities are above average, and timbre is a highlight. The DEW4X also boasts of compact dimensions, as it is much smaller in profile than rival dongles. It does not hiss with fastidious transducers, and the finely-tuned independent volume controls are much appreciated.

For most IEMs other than outliers, the DEW4X should do a solid job. However, it is not the most powerful dongle at this price range, so when facing some behemoths that have low sensitivity and/or high impedance, there may be uncontrolled bass and flat dynamics heard. It does get slightly warm, but there are worse offenders in this department.

All-in-all, the DEW4X is a decent entrant to the cut-throat dongle market, and for folks searching for something dulcet and soothing, this is one dongle to consider.
sofastreamer
i dont think a dongle exists, that can drive the Yinman properly. i am listening to it from the Fiio BTR15 right now and it sounds like a fart. probably the fiio ka17 in desktop mode.
Yeah @sofastreamer agreed.

The Fiio KA17 on desktop mode (650 mW) can possibly drive the Yinman 600 ohm to some extent, but not as well as a dedicated desktop grade amp.

Headphones and Coffee

Previously known as Wretched Stare
Great little dongle
Pros: Neutrality, details and a hint of warmth
Cons: Nothing much would have liked the indicator to be on top and not inside the two jacks.
PXL_20240112_184915646.jpg

Cable material: High quality OFC wrapped shielding layer
Connector: Type-c
Output plug: 3.5mm, 4.4mm

20240112_135434.jpg

The Simgot DEW4X is a successor to the DEW line of dongles not very well known by Simgot. The package is silver and shiny with good documentation on it. Inside is a manual, cable and A- to- C adapter. controls are simple two buttons on the side control volume, high and low gain and gaming mode.

Build quality is superb, it's made entirely of aluminum and so small, making it easy to fit in your IEM case. I like the large easy to see and feel buttons.
PXL_20240112_184951414.jpg

Performance:
The DEW4X performs quite well, a fine almost Neutral performance with good dynamics and resolution. The dongle has a little warmth and excellent details throughout. Volume is a noticeable upgrade as well as better clarity and the DEW4X has good staging too.
This sounds very good to me, and it's become one of my favorites.

d m41n man

Simgot DEW4X - Xtra Performance
Pros: • Neutral, clean and smooth sound with a tad minor coloration, giving that low end boost and a bit of note thickness
• Compact but sturdy formfactor
• CTIA Inline mic support for 3.5mm (huge plus for gamers and rare for DAC dongles)
• In relation, UAC 1.0 for gaming console compatibility
Cons: • Not so ergonomic in use, having a non-distinct LED and somewhat non-existent indicator of playback
• Not the most powerful, apparent especially with using some IEMs
• That 'X' Twitter trademark 😅
1000040123.jpg

Intro
It's currently the advent of 2024 and arguably it seems there's no slowing down Simgot with its hot streak of products from the yesteryear. With the pletora of the EA1000, EW200, and EM6L (all of which I've owned) being an awesome sampler of their current house sound, which centers on variations of the Harman curve. It's no wonder they're bound to release something that is not an IEM to supplement their ongoing lineup with a DAC dongle, namely the DEW4X. I have yet to experience the predecessors to this update, but I'm also considering that this is a refined product from their past DAC amps. Is this another winner for Simgot? Let's read on for my impressions and points of observation.
1000040487.jpg

Packaging and Build
The DEW4X comes in a somewhat shiny, shimmery small box, with a foam holding the dongle and the USB-A adapter and a divider for the USB-C cable plus a documentation. That simple, no frills. The unit itself feels well built and sturdy despite its small lightweight formfactor but not ergonomic, with an almost invisible LED beside the USB-C port. The cable is of the usual quality you get with most DAC dongles with the Simgot branding but feels it won't lose the tightness and signal disconnection from the port anytime soon, never flimsy. Overall, it's a simple bare core package with a simple aesthetic without 'wow'ing you but does not feel cheap either. If it weren't for the 'X' as its identity, it would pass as any anonymous DAC dongle.

1000040486.jpg

Sound and Functionality
Outright, the DEW4X provides a neutral tonality but just a tad bit of coloration. It somewhat gives you a pleasant listent, providing a smooth, clean output while adding just a bit of boost to your low end and note weight + thickness without actually transforming the character of your music to a warm tone. I wouldn't say natural but it definitely improves on the musicality of your source. This was most apparent while listening to the EA1000, toning down some of the peaks even if I don't have any issues with it but it may just tilt others who are sensitive up top to having the Fermats and on the same topic, the EW200, to their fancy and give them a chance. On the other hand, it does struggle a bit with sets like the AFUL MagicOne. Even at full volume via USB Audio Player Pro and at high gain (by pressing both vol buttons on the dongle simultaneously), it only gives a tolerable level of loudness which you know you can still turn it up a notch but couldn't. Some sets that just loves a bit more power will leave you wanting but don't take it the wrong way as the DEW4X is more than enough for your usual rotation of IEMs and even headphones, the upgrade you need is immediately felt and heard. Just not for the planars and power hungry cans though. And that CS 43198 chipset brings out the cleanliness you'd expect out of this purist implementation (without additional opamps or the integrated amps of the CS43131). The DEW4X does make it a suitable match for Simgot's own sets, giving just the right amount of roundedness to most of Simgot's harman-bright character.

1000040748.jpg

Comparisons & Conclusion
An immediate point of comparison that I recently had the chance of testing side-by-side was with AFUL's own SnowyNight. The internals are almost identical, both utilizing the dual CS43198 chips as well as having both 140mW of SE and 300mW of BAL power output. Aside from minor differences in THD, the SnowyNight gives a bit higher level of clarity and technicalities by expanding the imaging and stage width more, though at the cost of somewhat a bit leaner presentation and steeper cost. From my last listening experience with other similar dual CS43198 setups, for me it already is a better value overall than either the Truthear Shio and Moondrop Moonriver 2. To add is its ability for inline mic compatibility at the 3.5mm port (have yet to extensively bugtest this though), a must for gamers and a rarity for DAC dongles overall which is a unique proposition. For its price though, the DEW4X just opened a wide door for entry to great sound and experience of fidelity. Aside from the Tanchjim Space in the dual CS43198 realm, one should have no reason for not owning a competent SE and BAL DAC dongle with an option such as this at $79.99.

1000040757.jpg

Attachments

1000040124.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: kolisten09

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: Gets very loud, louder than most use applications
Stays slightly above room temperature
Incredibly the DEW4X goes to power many full-size headphones that I have tried
Offers a balanced sound with acceptable resolution for the price
Great size and feel, especially how the buttons are designed and function
For use with CTIA TRRS 3.5mm plug headsets with a microphone
High gain and low gain by a push of the two buttons at the same time
Literally every button, every side wall, every side panel, everything is solid CNC aircraft aluminum, sandblasted and anodized
Cons: No bit-rate validation with lights or screen
Not the soundstage of the HiBy R3 II, nor the soundstage/resolution of the WM1Z, or WM1A with the IER-Z1R
SIMGOT AUDIO DEW4X Dongle:
Redcarmoose Labs January 25th, 2024

B02E0DE7-91E1-4B82-81AB-974BB62D7D1B.gif

Simgot, Simgot....such offerings get to the very core of why we are here. Besides a great audiophile modular plug cable............the Simgot LC7, they also make the IEMs everyone is talking about. The EA1000, the EA500, the EA500LM, the EW100DSP, the SIMGOT EM6L, the EW200.....the EW100P and the EN2R, to name just a few. I have to have all this IEM stuff written down as I can't remember just how they are all named. But one thing I do know is SIMGOT is on a roll.....they have made history in 2023..........heck they even sent me a coffee maker for Christmas and New Years........oh and it was red too! If there is a company that knows how to please the regular working-man audiophile, SIMGOT AUDIO knows how!

DSC_0057.jpegas.jpeg

In doing research for this review I found a history leading up to our DEW4X. Yep……..a DEW3, DEW1 and a DEW0……….but no DEW2? But I did find a DEW4..............So right off the big improvements to the DEW4X would be the chipset and offering 4.4mm balanced output.

9s.jpg
20220718161452107.jpg

Above the DEW1
DEW1:
  • Decoding chip:ES9270C DAC chip
  • Input jack:TYPE-C
  • Output jack:3.5mm audio jack
  • Output load:10Ω ~ 300Ω (self-adaptive)
  • Signal-to-noise ratio:117dB @ 32Ω (A-Weighting)
  • THD+N:0.0007%@32Ω
  • Output power:61mW@32Ω
  • Frequency response range:20Hz-40KHz
  • Metal material:aluminum-alloy silver-color mirror-like electroplating technique
  • Cables:4-strand silver-plated OFC wires mixed braided
  • Power regulator chip:RICOH low-noise LDO
  • PCM:32bit 384KHz
  • DSD:DSD128

20220718114942700.jpg

DEW3:
  • Chip:AKM-AK4377ECB Chip
  • Input:(Standard version]) Built-in USB-C to USB-C cable.
  • Output:3.5mm audio interface
  • Output load:10Ω~300Ω(self-adaptive)
  • Signal to Noise Ratio:123dB@32Ω(A-Weighting)
  • THD+N:<0.0006%@32Ω
  • Output power:64mW@32Ω
  • Frequency response range:20Hz-40KHz
  • Metal material:aluminum alloy, sandblasting oxidation and laser engraving process
  • Cable:4 strands of silver-plated OFC mixed wires

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
DAC Chip
Dual C43198
Decoding specifications PCM: 384 kHz/32 bit/DSDop 128/Native 256
Body material Aluminum alloy sandblasting oxidation black
Interchangeable Line Design YES
Cable material High quality OFC wrapped shielding layer
Connector Type-c
Output plug 3.5mm,4.4mm

As you can see the DEW4 (with-out the X) with a slightly different set of specifications?

28058156_1.jpg

DEW4
Product description

𝟏.𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐮𝐬𝐞
Use the included data cable to connect to a phone or other front-end device that supports OTG decoding. After successful connection, the DEW4 indicator light will stay on to indicate normal connection. It is recommended to first reduce the volume of the phone when connecting to the DEW4 for the first time, and then adjust it to a level suitable for oneself to avoid excessive sound. It is recommended to use high bit rate or lossless audio sources for a better listening experience.
𝟐. 𝐅𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐊𝐞𝐲 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧
·The volume level has a power down memory function.
·The button volume adjustment function of DEW4 is independent of the phone volume adjustment function.
𝟑. 𝐒𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐔𝐀𝐂 𝐦𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐥 𝐦𝐨𝐝𝐞
·After power on, DEW4 defaults to working in UAC2.0 mode.
During work, UAC mode cannot be switched.
·With DEW4 disconnected (power off), first press and hold the "Volume+" button, then connect DEW4 to the interface of the computer, phone, or game console (power on), wait for the indicator light to slowly flash, and then release the button.
DEW4 will work in UAC1.0 mode.During the operation of DEW4, pressing two buttons simultaneously can switch between high and low level modes.
𝟒.𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧
It is prohibited to insert 3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone
sockets into headphones simultaneously for use.
𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬:
DAC Chip: Dual CS43131
THD: ≤0.0002%
Decoding specifications:
PCM: 768 kHz/32 bit
DSDop 256/Native 256
Body material: Aluminum alloy sandblasting oxidation black
Interchangeable Line Design: YES
Connecting wire material: 4-strand oxygen-free copper and silver plated wire mixed weaving

😍The DEW4X😍
Where I found the DEW4X to be incredibly easy to use, as it is fully plug and play. You can even unplug it and turn the unit over to reconnect to the Type-C plug and have the music only stop for a 1/2 second. Why you would ever want to turn the Dongle belly-up from belly-down, I’m not sure, but you can. There does not seem to be a light that would confirm bit-rate, but there is a green or red LED which can be seen from inside the unit from the 3.5mm plug hole while in 4.4mm or the intended place, a small hole on the opposite side. From what I can figure this is showing high or low output. Red for low, and green for high output?

This product supports CTIA TRRS 3.5mm plug headsets with added microphone, hooked to a laptop!! Simgot makes it clear in the manual that the headphone/microphone needs to first be connected to the dongle then the computer. SIMGOT also supplies the regular USB adapter to plug the Type-C into to adapt to computer use. SIMGOT recommends never plug both 3.5mm and 4.4mm in simultaneously.

Packaging:
DSC_0003.jpegQ.jpeg

DSC_0006.jpegAE.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpegS.jpeg
DSC_0009.jpegA2.jpeg
DSC_0016.jpegAA.jpeg

Build:

I have to say the build on the DEW4X is something else. First to note it is really small, smaller than the Shanling UA3, yet slightly thicker. The second thing to note would be the volume buttons. Using my teeth to feel, I found the two buttons to be made of aluminum. As is 100% of the DEW4X construction. Where the UA3 back-side panel is plastic, where you place the USB Type-C into. Here we are gifted with 100% aluminum, yet they have gone one step further to sandblast the entire shell and then anodized in black.

The two buttons are the largest maybe I have seen for Dongle control? 30 individual steps of control. And they are aluminum which along with the precise mode of travel really makes them a joy in daly use. Pushing both buttons at the same time goes from low gain to high gain. Green is high gain, red is low gain…….though there is almost no difference between the two levels of gain?

So smallest Dongle/biggest buttons…..in my limited experience.

DSC_0050.jpega.jpeg

DSC_0051.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_0059.jpegq.jpeg
DSC_0061.jpegs.jpeg

SIMGOT QUALITY:
Then SIMGOT AUDIO wrapped copper wire around the chipset to help insulate the DEW4X from unwanted signals, just like the WM1Z is made entirely from a block of copper then gold platted to ward off unwanted signal interference.

The DEW4 Sound:
Way way louder than anything so far I’ve come across. Way louder than I can even test with any IEM or Headphone? A signal to noise ratio of 130dB, and 0.0002% distortion in 4.4mm balanced mode. Such blackness of background means that (with any use of power level) a style of resolution is noticeable.

The Shanling UA3:
While the UA3 is more money and offering a bit-rate confirmation light, the DEW4X get way louder. Not that you may ever need such power, but the DEW4X also has a different sound. Where the UA3 offers a softer smoother bass, the DEW4X comes-up cleaner and more reserved in contrast. Showing a tighter bass while still offering a level of smoothness to the top end. Make no mistake, the Shanling has and will continue to be my often pulled-into-use Dongle, yet here we are noticeably into a different league of power. When using the full-size Sony TOTL MDR-Z1R this power came into play adding damping juice which increased transients and hence better imaging. Also trying the DEW4X with the past TOTL Sony MDR-Z7, the overall tone was slightly cleaner.

DSC_0035.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_0031.jpegA.jpeg

The HiBy R3II:
Trying the MDR-Z1R from the HyBy R3II alone showed a slightly better soundstage. A more luxurious stage with even an added smidge of lower midrange compared to the DEW4X. I mean I have often found the M response of the R3 II to better the UA3, and really it also probably betters the DEW4X, but it is more money and a standalone DAP. Yet, if pure volume is what you are after, the DEW4X takes the cake.

Sony pricing guide for reference here:
Sony TOTL MDR-Z1R $1,999.99 USD
Past TOTL Sony MDR-Z7 $699.99 USD
Sony TOTL IER-Z1R $1,998.00 USD
Sony (past TOTL) NW-WM1Z $3200.00 USD
Sony NW-WM1A $1200.00 USD

DSC_0045.jpegx.jpeg
DSC_0049.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_0042.jpegs.jpeg

So even on high-gain the R3 II didn’t get quite as loud as the DEW4X. Still at this point all is ridiculous as no-one would even listen to the MDR-Z1R from the R3 II or DEW4X that loud. I normally take a few days of testing to come upon these results as only one day is not always truthful to come-up with ideas. Still after days of testing the M response of the R3 II was in fact slightly different from our tad brighter up-top rendition of treble of the SIMGOT AUDIO DEW4X. What this means is in a way the M response of the R3 II is plush and toned-down, thus an M response where the DEW4X is probably more normal in the treble department? The slightly forward treble then goes to effect balance of bass and lower midrange noticeability to make the DEW4X sound both cleaner but slightly more grainy.

DSC_0040.jpegq.jpeg

DEW4X:
This grain was most noticeable when using the Flagship TOTL SONY IER-Z1R, meaning there is a far more noticeable top-end to understand through tone placement than the MDR-Z1R. Neither are really right or wrong as one is an on-ear full-size head-phone and one is an inner-ear-monitor. Where finally I was to note that the SONY WM1A and SONY WM1Z full size DAPs offered more resolution in the top end, and it was noticeably inside a wider soundstage and slightly smoother. Though with the prices of this Sony stuff, the differences in sound quality between the WM1A and WM1Z could be overlooked. And that is an understatement! Remember we are now reviewing a $79.99 DAC/AMP/Dongle!

SIMGOT DEW4X
HIFI DUAL C43198 DAC CHIP PORTABLE DAC/AMP
  • Unparalleled Audio Quality with Dual C43198 DAC Chips
  • Exceptional Sound Clarity and Low Noise Design
  • Sophisticated Build and Aesthetic Appeal
  • High-Quality Connectivity and Versatility
  • User-Friendly Features and Adaptive Control

I mean sure if you want to lug around one of the Sony DAPs and then plug it in to your laptop while at a coffee shop………..I’m not sure if you would totally notice the sound up-grade from the Sony DAPs in public?

Bonus IEM test:
😍The Penon Quattro😍
My gosh, this right at this moment is a highly controversial IEM. Some listeners say you love it on one day and find it lackadaisical on other days. I argue that fact. As I believe it all comes down to power. Meaning most IEMs don’t have 4X DD drivers…..nope the Quattro is unusual that way, and they need juice to come alive. My personal belief is that more juice adds dampening factor which results in better transients. It is the transients which create imaging, I believe. So get great transients and find the imaging resulting in clarity and the Quattro comes out of the fog……to become one of the best under $400.00 IEMs I have ever come across. Match the DEW4X with the Quattro and gain a glimpse of heaven!

The Penon Quattro and DEW4 is the best sounding under $500.00 rig I have ever put in my ears? Just hook it up to a regular phone..........and you're all done.

Conclusion:

The DEW4X is a hit…….at least it is so far around here at Redcarmoose Labs. In fact after multiple days of testing the Sony MDR-Z1R, I was putting the ZIR in its case here.....then the DEW4X came up missing. Where was it? Really you have no idea how small yet powerful this little guy is. It is like the future I think? Anyway using logic, I determined that the last place I used it was with the Sony MDR-Z1R. Yet, as always I disconnected it? Well my friends, the little DEW4X and the USB Type-C were intertwined with the 4.4mm stock cable that comes with the Sony MDR-Z1R………imagine that? It was so small and lightweight it simply attached on holding on by a cable, actually two cables and became put away? There it was saying “Yep, I’m small yet powerful” HAHA. It is all too much at times! :)

Anyway, the DEW4X can power anything (I own), and while not as lush as even the HiBy R3 II, there is an added clarity which is in no way strident or sibilant. Nope, just clear and offering a surprising amount of detail and stage. Now the DEW4X is not as resolving as the WM1A or WM1Z, but at way under $100.00, who cares? Unfortunately I need a special 3.5mm to 1/4 inch (or 6.3mm) join my AKG k701 to find out how well the SIMGOT DEW4X will go to drive them………..but there is no way they would not be a success here? I mean this is the future here. Taking a thing smaller (way smaller) than a box of matches out and about to drive your k701s, in public no doubt? LOL

While even and balanced.................the DEW4X can be as quiet or as loud as you would want. It gets ever so slightly warm, but (even) at that place.......is almost indistinguishable from room temperature. It’s super easy to set-up and super easy to use in daily use. Only one time did it lock-up with using the HiBy R3 II and I simply turned the R3 II off and on to fix this singular hiccup. Really it could have been an issue with the HiBy, yet I have used the SIMGOT DEW4X for 5 solid days without issue, it worked flawlessly even with all the abuse due to the amount of times I plugged it in and unplugged it……while running. And it maybe isn’t always going to be about powering audiophile headphones, as the CTIA TRRS will allow you to use the DEW4 with a microphone headset. All and all I’m very surprised how well this worked as an audiophile Dongle…..and from all I understand I can recommend it to anyone. Cheers!

$79.99

Disclaimer:

I would like to thank Fia Lam from SIMGOT AUDIO for the opportunity to review DEW4X!

Linsoul website: https://www.linsoul.com/
Linsoul Aliexpress Store: https://ddaudio.aliexpress.com/store/2894006
Linsoul USA Amazon Store link: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=merchant-items&me=A267P2DT104U3C

Equipment Used:
Sony WM1Z Walkman DAP MrWalkman Firmware 4.4mm and 3.5mm
Sony WM1A Walkman DAP MrWalkman Firmware 4.4mm and 3.5mm
Shanling UA3 Dongle 4.4mm and 3.5mm
Samsung Phone USB Type-C output
HiBy R3 II 4.4mm output and USB Type-C output

These are the experiences and thoughts of a single individual, your results may vary.
Reactions: ahammedsojib

inscythe

100+ Head-Fier
Simgot DEW4X Review - "X hits the right spot"
Pros: - Warm-neutral, very little coloration
- Excellent bass control
- Solid build quality
- Really small and compact
- Clean output and black background even on sensitive IEMs
- UAC 1.0 mode for compatibility with consoles
- Relatively low power consumption
Cons: - Gets really hot on high impedance load
- Difficult to check the current state of settings, only a hard-to-see LED (also lack of documentation of what it meant)
- Not the most powerful dongle, struggles with planars
Disclaimer: Simgot provided me with a review unit. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Non-affiliated purchase link here.

1706027854900.jpeg

Introduction​

Most people who recently followed Simgot are probably more familiar with their IEM offerings like the popular EW200, EA500, and EA1000. However, in Chinese domestic market, Simgot also produces a few DAC/amps in their DEW lineup, starting from DEW0, DEW1, and DEW4. While I didn't have any experience with them since I didn't really find them interesting. However, when Simgot announced the DEW4X, it caught my attention. Instead of using the more common dual CS43131, the DEW4X is using dual CS43198. At $80, it is the second cheapest dual CS43198 next to Truthear Shio, and the cheapest in the market right now since Shio has been discontinued at the time of writing. That said, the dongle market has gone through significant changes since I wrote my review of Shio, I am impressed by what DEW4X can bring to the table among the stiff competition.

Side Note: CS43131 vs CS43198​

About these two very popular chips from Cirrus Logic, one might wonder what are the difference. On paper, CS43131 is just CS43198 with a built-in headphone amplifier. Everything else, CS43131 technically has exactly the same DAC portion as CS43198. A manufacturer might go with CS43131 so that they don't have to implement their own headphone amplification component, making it ideal for smaller space and power budget, or they can use the built-in headphone amp in conjuction with their own to increase the output power further. This could be seen in a similar situation in the past when Luxury & Precision W2 (dual CS43198) was replaced by W2-131 (dual CS43131) due to chip shortage. The W2-131 ended up having higher power output while consuming less power than W2. However, even L&P admitted that the chip doesn't sound exactly the same and the change made it difficult for them to tune it exactly to their intended house sound.

Now, Simgot has a similar story with DEW4 and DEW4X, but their power specs doesn't change much on paper. I suspect that they chose the CS43198 due to the cleaner DAC, allowing them to fully express their house sound.

Specifications​

DAC: 2x Cirrus Logic CS43198
PCM decoding: 384 kHz/32 bit
DSD decoding: DoP 128/Native DSD256
Body material: Black anodized, sandblasted aluminium alloy
Cable material: Sleeved, shielded OFC
Output plugs: 3.5mm (TRS, TRRS), 4.4mm (TRRRS)
Output voltage (RMS):
- 1V SE, 2V BAL (low gain)
- 2V SE, 4V BAL (high gain)
Max output power: 70 mW SE, 150mW BAL
THD+N: 0.00025% SE, 0.0002% BAL
SNR: 125 dB SE, 130 dB BAL
DNR: 125 dB SE, 130 dB BAL

Personally, I think this is a very solid numbers for the price. I have no resources to confirm them unfortunately, but easy to say DEW4X does sound as good as the specs.

Packaging & Build Quality​

DEW4X comes in a very spartan packaging, just a box containing the unit itself, a short USB C to C cable, and a USB C to A adapter, along with an information booklet. Sadly, the booklet did not really say anything about LED operation. The USB cable is very solid, with good amount of stiffness that keeps the DEW4X from flopping too much while used on the move. The shielding on the cable is also sufficient enough to prevent RF interference.

1706027924178.jpeg

1706027895670.jpeg

The unit itself is made of solid blocks of CNC-ed aluminium. This greatly protects it from outside interference and also acts as a heatsink in heavier operation. Not to mention, it feels really hefty and premium in the hands. The big volume buttons are easy to press and give satisfying clicks when pressed. You can change gain settings by pressing both volume buttons at the same time, and you can see the LED colour changes. The LED is located near the USB port, and it is quite small and dim, which is good for people who listens in a dark room before sleeping, but bad for people who are using it outdoors.

To decipher the LED colours meaning, I went to test it with my PC. Luckily it's quite simple.

1706028454737.jpeg

- Low gain: red (44.1kHz-48kHz), green (88.1kHz and above)
- High gain: yellow (44.1kHz-48kHz), cyan (88.1kHz and above)
- Solid light (UAC 2.0) or blinking light (UAC 1.0)
(to enter UAC 1.0 mode, press volume + button when plugging in the DEW4X)

The volume adjustment has 30 steps with a non-linear curve that is generally more comfortable to listen at lower volume.

Sound Impression​

I am very impressed at how well Simgot implemented the CS43198 in DEW4X. There isn't any significant coloration overall, very slightly warm with some emphasis in the subbass region, which seems to be a common characteristics in C43198-based DAC/amps. Speaking about bass, I find that the driver control in the bass region is exceptionally tight, giving a lot of texture and rumble. The mids and treble are very linear, with excellent details and timbre that's easy to like. Honestly, for under $100, if you're looking for something close to neutral with a tight bass control for IEMs, this is one of my recommendation.

All testing are done on 4.4mm unless specificed.

Mild Stress Test: Verum 1 (8Ω), Simgot EW200 (16Ω), Simgot EM6L (26Ω), Simgot EA1000 (16Ω) at low gain
At this load, DEW4X handles this like a champ. The subbass does not sound bloomy, nor bleeding into the mids. The treble are crisp and there are no sibilance even on a somewhat bright EW200. The dynamics and texture are excellent to the point that it matches its more expensive CS43198 siblings, although mostly at this level of load. This perfectly matches most of Simgot's own set of IEMs, so no surprises here. The DEW4X does add a slight improvement in staging and layering due to that distinct subbass expression and wide dynamic range.

Moderate Stress Test: Hifiman Edition XS (18Ω), Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 (36Ω) low/high gain
Edition XS does seem to be one of the easier Hifiman headphones to drive, but that doesn't mean it is very easy to drive. When underdriven, the bass is noticeably loose, while the overall dynamics seems to suffer. Similarly, the Monarch Mk2 seems to require more amping to reveal its EST-powered upper treble energy. I have to say DEW4X did pretty well in this segment, keeping the dynamics in satisfying levels. Some technicalities does suffer a bit, like the soundstage and imaging get slightly more compressed, but the resolution is overall maintained. I would use this to regularly drive the Edition XS. It also doesn't really heat up the dongle at this load.

Heavy Stress Test: Hifiman HE400SE Stealth (25Ω), Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250Ω), high gain
Now, this is the real challenge for the DEW4X. The HE400SE will indeed sound sharp when underpowered, and it does seem to be the case with the DEW4X. Dynamics in the bass seems to be missing and the staging gets more compressed. The volume gets loud enough though. On Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250Ω (modded to run in balanced) is a different kind of challenge: while the dynamics and solid bass are somewhat maintained, the dongle gets EXTREMELY hot during operation that I stopped testing the Beyerdynamic halfway.

Pairing Suggestions​

I personally prefer using the DEW4X on simple driver config, preferably 1DD or low driver count hybrids where it shines the most. One of my earliest IEMs to test was the EA1000 and I was quite surprised at the dynamics that DEW4X can provide. In more complicated driver configurations like the Monarch Mk2, it is still serviceable, but I can name a few dongles that perform better (of course at a higher price point). As for full-sized headphones, just keep to an easy-to-drive ones and generally lower impedance. Dynamic driver headphones are preferred over planars with DEW4X.

Select Comparisons​

1706028521286.jpeg

Within the CS43198 siblings, I would say that this is the closest to the L&P W2 in terms of tonality (tight bass, great resolution) and driving characteristics (both seems to not perform best with complex driver configurations), but at lower power output and less customizability. As you go up to heavier loads, the gap easily widens and W2 does not really have heating problems even with higher impedance loads. However, considering the huge power consumption of W2 and the fact it is more than triple the price of DEW4X, I'd still call DEW4X a steal.

Compared with Shio, I have to say that DEW4X easily outclasses it. The Shio trades technicalities for analogue sound signature, making it sounding quite dull and rounded, while gaining a certain level of euphony and softness characteristics. I also find the the dynamics are way better with DEW4X. They're roughly the same in terms of power. I'd pick DEW4X any day.

Fiio KA5 offers slightly different approach to the tuning, being even closer to neutral and being overall somewhat more bland. The tight bass control is not as prominent compared to DEW4X, but the dynamics are still somewhat comparable. Of course the KA5 is more powerful and that leads to better compatibility with heavier loads, plus the customizability on the dongle itself from the OLED screen, as well as the accompanying app makes it better for those who likes to tinker. However, if you just want to have something simple to carry around and plug-and-play, DEW4X is still a strong contender.

1706028545803.jpeg

My last minute addition to the CS43198 is the Colorfly CDA-M2. I find that CDA-M2 has a slightly more relaxed bass and midrange, but still maintaining a slight musicality. DEW4X is a bit more precise and tight. CDA-M2 is definitely more powerful and offer more customizations, but it is also still almost double the price of the DEW4X. The verdict is similar to comparison with KA5: if you want something easy to plug-and-play and you don't really need to power complicated loads, the DEW4X is still a great choice.

Other similarly priced and comparable sidegrades are Colorfly CDA-M1/M1P, Moondrop Dawn Pro, and Fiio KA13. They offer varying amounts and types of colouration to the sound, and overall driving power and technicalities are similar. That said, I find DEW4X particularly stands out in detail retrieval and overall bass texture.

Conclusion​

Simgot now has an entire affordable ecosystem to build upon: excellent value IEMs with the DAC-amp dongle to power them. At the current state of competitive market, the DEW4X is a solid beginning dongle that can power most IEMs and even some easy-to-drive headphones. At $80, I can recommend the DEW4X to anyone looking for a simple dongle to start the hobby and even beyond. It definitely hits at exactly the right spot for the entire lineup of Simgot IEMs.
OhmsClaw
OhmsClaw
My man tested the lack of current protection on the device 🤣Nice review! Just don't plug up any low impedance full size cans
RONJA MESCO
RONJA MESCO
am I tripping...the fido KA17 has this similar 'X' design scheme going on like this, Are Fiio and Simgot sister companies because its odd they are offering similar looking dongle daps at the same time.
sofastreamer
besides the x i cannot find any similarities tbh
Back