SIMGOT DEW4X

DAC Chip: Dual CS43198
Decoding specifications:
- PCM: 384 kHz/32 bit
- DSD: Dop 128/Native 256
Body material: Aluminum alloy sandblasting oxidation black
Interchangeable Line Design: YES

Pros: - Compact size
- Low battery consumption
- Plug and Play
Cons: - No difference on sound from other CS43198 dongles
- Power can be too low for some people
Presentation

IMG_1324.jpg

Hello, friends of AvaliaSom. The one I bring you is the Simgot DEW4X, a DAC/AMP dongle that was kindly sent to me by Simgot herself. 非常感谢 Simgot 的朋友们。

The Simgot DEW4X has a MSRP of 79 USD, and can cost up to 153 USD with the addition of 92% Brazilian taxes.

As soon as the DEW4X arrived in my hands, I was impressed by its compact size. It's just 4.1 cm long, 2.4 cm wide and 1.2 cm high. Its body is entirely made of metal, and although it is petit, it does not give any impression of fragility. Its weight is 24 grams, slightly heavier than a Tempotec Sonata BHD and its 20 g.

IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1300.jpg

I unboxed DEW4X on my Instagram , and I invite you to watch. It comes in a mirrored box with a huge “x” highlighted. This detail even led to jokes among my group of friends, where people asked if that was Elon Musk's dongle, due to the “x” very similar to the new Twitter logo. The box houses a foam cradle that stores, well protected, both the dongle and the USB-C/USB-C cable made up of OFC, which is visually simple, and a USB-A to USB-C adapter, which is very useful.

IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg

The compact dongle features an all-aluminum alloy body, with the “x” on the front and back indicating its features. At one end, it has the USB-C port, and at the other end the 3.5 mm output and the balanced 4.4 mm output, the latter gold-plated. The volume controls are on the side, without “+” or “-“ indication. When in operation, a red LED lights up inside the DEW4X.

Specifications

The Simgot DEW4X features two CS43198 DAC chips , and delivers a maximum output power of 70 mW @ 32 ohm on the SE output and 150 mW @ 32 ohm on the balanced output. There are two gain levels, and there is no information about the amplification chip used.

image.png
Source: Simgot

It is compatible with Android, iOS and Windows. It can work in UAC 2.0 or UAC 1.0, and the UAC 1.0 mode is used to connect the DEW4X to consoles like Switch and PS5, but on the other hand it is limited to 16Bit audio and 44.1 or 48 kHz.

The DEW4X is capable of decoding PCM at up to 32-bit and 384 kHz, and also handles DSD128 up to DSD256 (native). It does not render MQA.

According to Simgot, it has a dynamic range of 130 dB and a distortion of a measly 0.0002% on the 4.4 mm balanced output, a distortion that is practically zero, something that is reinforced by the brand in the presentation of the DEW4X.

Its balanced output level is 2 Vrms at low gain and 4 Vrms at high gain. At the SE output, it is 1 Vrms at low gain and 2 Vrms at high gain. Its SNR is 130 dB.

Usability

The Simgot DEW4X is the most compact dongle I've ever used, and in terms of versatility of use it rivals only my Apple dongle, with the advantage of delivering more power and also the 4.4 mm output.

Its cable is very flexible and it fits well in your pocket. But if you're looking for a highly refined USB-C cable, I recommend you read Ranko Acoustics' RUF-100 review.

Simgot discloses that the DEW4X has 30 volume steps, with an average difference of 3 to 5 dB per step, in a non-linear way. There is a memory of the last volume used, something very interesting to avoid excessive volume when we connect the device again or when we change devices.

The volume buttons also have other functions:
  • Pressing both quickly changes the gain.
  • Pressing and holding volume + while turning on the DEW4X switches it to UAC 1.0. By default, the DEW4X operates in UAC 2.0 mode.
Its recognition on Android and Windows is immediate, as well as on Apple devices. It is not necessary to install any drivers manually for use, and there is no Simgot App for the DEW4X.

After a long period of use, I noticed that the DEW4X practically does not heat up its housing during use. Regarding the smartphone's battery consumption, it consumed only 18% of the battery of my Samsung Galaxy A21s in airplane mode after 4 hours of use, dropping from 100% to 82%. This is with a headphone plugged into the 3.5 mm output and low gain. This is the most economical dongle I've ever used. Just for comparison, a Hiby FC4 consumed 50% battery under similar conditions.

The Simgot DEW4X delivers a neutral musical sound, very similar to the sound of the Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro . Compared to a Cayin RU6 , it's notable how much less heat it delivers, and we can see the same situation when we compare the DEW4X to the Colorfly CDA-M1P that I tested recently.

Simgot does not disclose the output impedance, however I had no problems playing the Hidizs MS5 (5.3 ohm). As for power, at the volume level I listen to, I had no problems playing a somewhat demanding planar IEM like the Moondrop Stellaris, even using the 3.5 mm output. Furthermore, the Stellaris tends to be a little too bright when it is poorly amplified, and this did not happen with the DEW4X.

Because it is practically neutral, this Simgot practically does not color the original tone of the IEMs, so regardless of whether you choose this dongle to listen to a Simgot EM6L or a Kiwi Quartet, your ears will hear exactly what the earphones had to deliver.

Still talking about power, the most demanding headphone I have today is a planar Sivga P-II, and it played reasonably well on the DEW4X, asking for high gain on the 3.5 mm output. In any case, it played better on the 4.4 mm, even at low gain. Remembering that I listen to my headphones at between 55 and 65 dB volume.

And in terms of technicalities, I place the DEW4X on the same level as the Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro , that is, it is a dongle that delivers a good level of technicalities for the 80 USD range.

Conclusion

It's a fact that I have Simgot headphones at a very high level, especially the EA500LM and EA1000 that are here on my desk, waiting for their turn to be evaluated. However, unlike headphones, in the case of a dongle there is not much that Simgot can do to bring its identity to the device, except in its design. The problem is that, except for the mirrored case, nothing about the DEW4X reminds me of Simgot headphones.

And this lack of identity is repeated in the sound, after all the DEW4X is another dongle with a CS43198 chip, and that's not a bad thing, given that this Cirrus chip is extremely competent. As a result, the DEW4X is on par with the best dongles on the market, with the advantage of being extremely compact, something that can make a difference when purchasing.

With this in mind, if you are looking for a compact dongle that consumes little power and does not color the sound of your headphones, the Simgot DEW4X should be considered.

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Simgot DEW4X
Pros: Ease of use/ plug n play
2 gain settings
Tiny yet solid build
Single 3.5mm/ 4.4mm balanced
Versatile use case scenarios
Excellent for gaming devices
UAC 1.0 mode for consoles
Very good for music listening.
decent power on a laptop
Clean black background.
Upgrade for your phones sound quality
Neutral-warm signature
Synergy for Harmon/ neutral IEMs
Excellent for Simgot IEMs.
30 set volume buttons
Light indicator and LED for gain settings
Surprisingly dynamic sounding.
No RFI interference.
Cons: Power output is variable based on source pairing.
Fairly weak on a phone.
Need a computer for full power.
Instruction booklet is not that instructive.
Stiff competition.
Simgot DEW4X
DSC01610.JPG

The Dac/amp dongle has seen a big surge in variety ever since folks have been tethered permanently to using our phones on a daily basis, it makes a lot of sense to amplify and qualify the sound we are using on the go. Folks that dip their toes in audiophilia or just want better quality sound from their phones, using a little dac/amp aka sound card that easily mitages the low quality and or weak sounding onboard sound we get from our phones and our computers makes a whole bunch of sense.

Simgot DEW4X is yet another smaller form dac/amp dongle but one made by Simgot, if you have been around the headfi threads. These guys have been more recognized for their outstanding dynamic IEMs. They recently introduced their one upgraded IEM cable the LC7 and now we have a series of Dac/Amp dongles that apparently they have been making for a while. The DEW4X is something like their 4th dac/amp dongle and is using dual C43198 Cirrus chips. Full specs are as follows

Dac chip Dual C43198 Cirrus
Decoding specs: PCM:384khz/32bit. DSD DOP128/ Native 256
Body Material: Sandblasted aluminum alloy. Oxidation black
Interchangeable line design
Connector: Type C/ OFC
Output: 3.5mm single, 4.4mm balanced
Output voltage -1SE,2V Bal( Low gain)
-2V SE, 4V Bal ( High gain)
Max output power: 70mW SE, 150mW Bal
THD+N:0.00025% SE,0.0002% Bal
SNR:125db SE, 130db Bal
DNR:125db SE, 130db Bal

DSC01569.JPG

This simple plug n play device has two gain settings easily accessible when connecting the device by pushing both buttons. Its tiny LED indicator will tell you what mode it is in, green for high gain and red for low gain. It is easier to just look into the plug end of the DEW4X to see the colors it is emitting vs straining to see the tiny LED light. Standard low gain setting is certainly enough power to drive just about any IEM in balanced but with more power hungry earbuds and full sized headphones, high gain is needed for full sound. Even then it's not the most powerful dac dongle I own. That title belongs to the Penon Tail.

So this one is more limited in use with most IEMs and efficient headphones at best. Will post some impressions using Fiios FT3 which is a 300 Ohm full sized can and Beyers Amiron Homes which is a 280 Ohm can. My IEMs testing was not an issue with ample volumes and power pushing the sonics no matter what it was connected to. My use case scenario was using them with my phone and an Android gaming device called the Retrid Pocket 4 pro and my main Gaming Laptop.
DSC01567.JPG

What they come with.
Simple box comes with a USB-C to C cable, a USB-C to A adapter for use on your computers and the unit itself. Instructions for the DEW4X is not all that instructive but if you have used DAC dongles before you will have no issue with this one. The unit is made of aluminum and is fairly small even for these DAC dongles. Some comparison pics. It's no bigger than an inch by 1.5inches in length. Small enough to use with most handheld, phone, tablet or gaming device on the go and certainly enough to give you much better sonics.
DSC01679.JPG
Utilizing dual Cirrus C43198, the sound signature here is certainly not too colored but does have a fundamental slight warmth to the sound with some surprising dynamics. The performance of the DEW4X is helped out by some excellent clean sound the unit emits. I did not detect any obvious noise in high gain minus a very hard to detect waterfall from using a 10 Ohm IEM. So overall it is very friendly for IEM use. It's silent background helps the sound to be more dynamic and detailed sounding.Overall I am impressed with its mostly silent clean background with no RFI or EMI noise detected at any time of use. It gives out a moderate stage and stays away from sounding canned or narrow. It's even handed sound performance matches extremely well with Simgots own IEMs the EA200, EA500, EA500LM, EA1000. All of them sounded fantastic using the DEW4X and somehow I have a feeling the DEW4X sound signature was tuned just to synergize with their own IEMs which makes a lot of sense. If the DEW4X sound was more of a brighter neutral tuning I don’t think it would have synergized as well with Simgots own IEMs is my point. Its overall balancing is linear with a slight boost for bass and a slight analog tonal quality. Music has good body with a decent sense of separation with added dynamism that your onboard sound just does not do. It makes music sound like well imaged music and that is the best compliment I can give to a simple device like the DEW4X.
1709740018525.png

Gaming. With UAC 1.0 game mode, these should work with game consoles just fine. Sorry didnt try in console mode but I did test on what I use now. Tested with my gaming device and gaming laptop. This is where I feel the DEW4X actually shines on a small device. My tester is with an Android gaming device called the Retroid Pocket 4 pro. Playing God of War 2 on the device with the DEW4X was so much better than using the included sound on the device. This is where it was very clear to me what the advantage here was. Gaming sounds and its music soundtracks just popped and had some physicality to the bass notes that let me be more immersed in the game I was playing. The difference between using the DEW4X and not using it was clearly evident and much more enjoyable. Just for this use case alone I would give two hardy thumbs up for the DEW4X.
DSC01599.JPG

Testing with my Samsung Galaxy phone.
Due to the sound tuning leaning toward neutral warmth vs neutral bright the DEW4X matches extremely well with neutral brighter and highly detailed IEMs and headphones. IEMs that already have a lot of bass and warmth to their tunings don’t match up as well. Testing the ISN NEO5 which already has a slight warm tonal quality the synergy was just not there. This is the reason why Simgots own IEMs sound so good using the DEW4X. The source is adding a bit of warmth and dynamism to their Simgot harmon tunings. Which ends up making the overall sound experience some of the best synergy from a source and IEM sound matching angle. How they test with cans?
DSC01601.JPG

In High gain with max volumes I was able to listen to the Fiio FT3 which is rated at 300 Ohms and I can tell the little device was struggling to keep up with that volume as it was getting a bit warm to the touch.. The cans I used were listenable but by no means was it able to actually push the Fiio FT3 to even moderate listening levels. (However I found out later when testing out of my laptop it does have good power to drive the FT3 but only on a computer.) The DEW4X did much better using a bit more efficient Beyer Amiron Homes rated at 280 Ohms but one thing for certain. This little device was not really made for full sized moderately difficult to drive Cans, unless you are using your computer to use the DEW4X. Even then I don't feel these little dac dongles do justice for full sized cans in general. Moving over to one of my favorite portable cans in Thinksounds ON2. Which is rated at 50 Ohm. Ok now we are talking. The DEW4X was actually able to give these cans with some solid volumes in single ended. More efficient headphones in the 32-50 Ohms is where I would set the limit of their power ability using your phones. IEMs I used with the DEW4X had no issue with them pushing the sonics. I can see folks with buds in the 150-300 Ohm area might have some issue with the power output of the DEW4X. Testing the 300 Ohm TGXear Serratus. I was able to get the volumes to be fairly loud using max volumes in balanced but otherwise that would be roughly the limit of their power and driving ability.
DSC01602.JPG

Using the EA500LM. This is where the DEW4X really shows how good it can sound. There is no comparison to how dry and non dynamic the stock sonics sounds using my Phones output in comparison and this is really the best use case scenario for the DEW4X. Using your phone on the go. It's small enough to let it hang and unlike some dongles that are physically bigger I am not worried about the weight of the DEW4X damaging the USB-C port of my phone.
DSC01694.JPG

Testing with my laptop.
So apparently using a dedicated computer helps to get much more power to the little unit. The DEW4X now has much more volume using my laptop vs my phone. I can now use the DEW4X with plenty of volume in high gain using the Fiio FT3. Which was difficult to drive using my phone. The sonics using my laptop? Well it's not my Fiio K9 Pro ESS but I was pleasantly surprised with how good the unit sounded using my laptop.

I can see a use case scenario where if you own a light portable laptop for work and some media watching or gaming on the side how the DEW4X would come in handy. My laptop is a gaming laptop with beefy a 350 watt power brick so apparently it will put out more power based on the power of my laptop. Something the specs don’t relay.
DSC01550.JPG

This is something I will mention in the positives and negative section descriptor for the DEW4X as I feel it is that much more significant in power difference going from the much weaker phone vs the power from a laptop connected to a wall. I suppose it makes a lot of sense that only efficient IEMs and cans can be used when the DEW4X is used for portability. I suppose the benefit of the DEW4X using your phone is that it will not draw too much power from your phones and gaming devices. But will show its full power on a laptop.

The good news is you can use your gaming Cans up to 300 Ohms on a laptop. Sonics wise again you can’t expect the dynamism of a full blown Dac/amp in comparison and it doesn't. Even with plenty of volume the Fiio FT3 lacks the punch in the bass and sounds more neutral and much less engaging vs my dedicated Fiio K9 pro ESS. But using them efficient IEMs like my Tansio Mirai-X and any of the Simgot IEMs. The dynamics, punchier extended bass, slightly richer, more full bored mids with a clean treble is heard.
DSC01551.JPG

Conclusion.
The DEW4X is a solid little Dac/amp with good sound and will serve the purpose of getting you better sonics to be heard with your favorite more efficient IEMs and Cans. Its slightly warm yet dynamic sound tuning is more agreeable vs a slightly bright neutral tuning for sources of this type. It is a very easy plug and play device that will be a clear upgrade on your phone's sound output and overall sound quality. Where it truly struts its power is unfortunately not going to be on your phones and tablets. It will be from your plugged-in laptops and desktop computers. Overall, for the asking price of $80 the Simgot DEW4X is very similar to the value proposition of their own IEM, the EA500. I think most people will agree that the EA500 was an outstanding value at its price and so I feel the same way about the DEW4X. It seems very clear to me that Simgot as a company and sound designers know exactly what they are doing with how they tune their sources and IEMs.

I mean how else can you explain just how well their own IEMs match up so well with the sound design of the DEW4X? Overall the value and ease of use makes the DEW4X a solid source for on the go for both media and music. A small portable design to get you greater sonics. In that regard they are excellent at what they do. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Disclaimers. I would like to thank Simgot for the review sample of the DEW4X. You can purchase a DEW4X here and or here.
DSC01684.JPG

Some comparisons.
Fiio KA3. This little amp/ dac is using ES9038Q2M with output power of 130mW @ 32 Ohm single ended and 240mW @ 32 Ohm balanced. The sound signature of the KA3 is more neutral with a clean tuning and lacks a bit of that warmth emitted by the DEW4X. It gives out a touch wider stage and dynamics are on a similar level to the DEW4X but it is more neutral, brighter in character vs neutral slightly warm on the DEW4X. The K3 does have superior specs and power output on paper is a bit weaker but I would say it's fairly similar in power vs the DEW4X. This sound signature does not mesh as well with Simgots IEMs. In this case a clean to brighter sounding source connected to a clean and brighter sounding IEM does not equal synergy. It's not bad here but certainly not exactly how the DEW4X synergizes with Simgots own IEMs. Now if you own warmer bassy IEMs that is where something like the KA3 will synergize better.
DSC01678.JPG

Penon Tail
The DEW4X and the Penon tail share Cirrus logic dacs, dual CS43131 in the Tail vs dual CS43198 in the DEW4X. I will say the Tail here is a much more powerful Dac/amp by default. Its specs are something like 4X the power output of the DEW4X and the only real issue with the Tail is that it is not as refined a product as the DEW4X. I can tell both these units share similar SQ but the Tail here has a clear leg up on power and efficiency over the DEW4X. I don't have a can the Tail can’t drive to full blaring levels. It is more powerful on a phone as well. SQ wise both units have similar dynamism but I will give the slight edge to the Tail here because its got that extra juice that makes it more versatile over the DEW4X. Tail sounds a bit more spacious vs the DEW4X but otherwise both units have very similar signatures including a slight subbass lift. I would imagine if Simgot came out with an upgraded or newer version of the DEW4X that would be something like the Penon Tail. The tail is a larger unit vs the DEW4X and while easy to use it does not have independent volume adjustment. It goes 100% when connected to a laptop which can be dangerous if you have IEMs and Cans attached to it. I found this out first hand several times I used it. Otherwise the DEW4X is a more polished product less power and all. Sound quality wise I would give a slight nod to the Penon Tail in comparison. It sounds a bit more spacious, more rangy and even more dynamic vs the DEW4X this could be due to the added power output of the device that makes it sound more dynamic. I can’t say the DEW4X lacks in these areas in comparison but perhaps a better amplification stage for next version of the Simgot Dac/Amp can aim for such advances. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Last edited:

kesobie

100+ Head-Fier
Simgot DEW4X Review: SMALL, MIGHTY, POWERFUL!
Pros: Very small and ergonomic
Well-built
LED indicators
Sufficient power for in-ears
Minimal power draw
Minimal heat generation
Clean, neutral sound with good extension
Solid pairing with brighter leaning IEMs
Comes included with a type c to type a adaptor
Cons: No up or down indicator on volume knobs
No instructions for the gain and LED on manual
LED is inconveniently placed
Not the most technical sounding source
Bad pairing with smoother IEMs
Not enough power for hard to drive headphones

PRICE: $79​

• LED indicators
  • Sufficient power for in-ears
  • Minimal power draw
  • Minimal heat generation
  • Clean, neutral sound with good extension
  • Solid pairing with brighter leaning IEMs
  • Comes included with a type c to type a adaptor

CONS:​

• No up or down indicator on volume knobs
  • No instructions for the gain and LED on manual
  • LED is inconveniently placed
  • Not the most technical sounding source
  • Bad pairing with smoother IEMs
  • Not enough power for hard to drive headphones

WHO THIS UNIT IS FOR:​

• People looking for a small, lightweight but powerful DAC
  • People looking for a DAC with dedicated volume rockers
  • People looking for a DAC with a gain switch
  • People looking for a smooth but neutral sounding DAC
  • People who want a DAC for brighter-leaning IEMs

WHO THIS UNIT ISN’T FOR​

• People who want the most powerful DAC for the price
  • People who want a technical sounding DAC
  • People who want a more feature-rich DAC
  • People who want a DAC to emphasize details and technicalities
  • People who want a convenient visualization of the LED

SHORT REVIEW:​

The DEW4X marks as a solid CS DAC that does everything you need and nothing you don’t. It’s very compact, well-built and has enough power to drive basically any IEM. It’s also perfect for those who are looking for a neutral-sounding source that smoothens the top end. It’s not the most technical nor the most transient sounding source, but this makes it an even more perfect pair for Simgot’s IEMs. RECOMMENDED!

FULL REVIEW:​

f-9jZL7_1VOXvlPgfyPIKnXz_B1OxVbXV5dwhTqfmpgrFCmExEh7IgubUFRo4CvrhkH_3zpSf5IEQHbC_969V4qIwi0243NIdA4sQuxonXDN2WTekpTIA9cIvi3OMH__VR4fu0g3Yqbioy8uczQSnbU

A hallmark for a great brand means diversifying product offerings to capture a larger market. In audio, this means that besides their transducer-based products like IEMs and headphones, a brand would also like to offer other products like sources, cables and other products.

Simgot, a brand many of you know for their earphones, has also dipped their toes in sources prior. Their DEW series is their source lineup that has not really taken the hearts like their IEMs have. But this only means that the fruit is ripe for picking if they so choose to compete in the source market. So, let’s talk about their latest entry to their DEW series, the DEW4X

DISCLAIMER: This product was sent over by Simgot in exchange for my honest impressions. I was not paid. Rest assured, my thoughts and opinions on this product will be my own honest opinions and will not be affected by the facts beforehand.

Audio is a very subjective hobby and as much as I try to objectively explain my thoughts and opinions, your mileage will vary. My preferences will also affect how I perceive the gear that I review. Sources and other accessories will also modify your experience. Lastly, my reviews should always be used only as a guide and not as the definitive bible. Trust your ears to know what’s good.

THE SOURCE THAT CAN DEW IT ALL!​

Priced at $79, the DEW4X plays it safe by offering the ever-so-popular CS43198 found in many of the dongles coming out recently. This means that it REALLY has to stand out with specific features in order to be competitive in today’s increasingly saturated source market. So what does the DEW4X offer?

SPECS:​

PJqBvfmjYgiS5xYLkTqZi-Osge7yaFC9bQoyTik-A4kDrAxHzBRPhCIUggWVy7vMjuD7fWSAFD1DVWMxzL-gCSrXEdNg3GTAs0Fli66rH_piSGAhEMEpCAFhwgkcI_DGUk7yceuor7Tg28A-41oULhI

DAC Chip: CS43189 x 2
Input/s: USB Type-C
Output: 3.5mm SE / 4.4mm Balanced
Output Load:10ohms - 600ohms
SNR: 3.5mm (125db @ 32ohms) / 4.4mm (130db @ 32ohms)\
Distortion: 3.5mm (0.0005%@32ohms) / 4.4mm (0.0003%@32ohms)
Output Power: (RL = 32ohms, THD: N+<1%) 70mw x 2 3.5mm / 150mw x 2 4.4mm Balanced)
Frequency Range: 20hz - 40khz

UNBOXING:​

SzmAu18gV85CLmfqMPR9-M0hgVztkPI3Ed95L6IXiAk-n3WcFF9T4OR6heoZlgbA50PiE5hJh5jvyKqDYn_8KlEqyqCwXVL58iFYsjGUFixcYZoA4ogpEsbnZeRhunCd-jgYmNS1HcwwBvStoIy8zZk

The DEW4X comes in a small, shiny box with a rather distinct looking X in front. Some of you may be reminded of a recently renamed social media site that you may or may not be happy with. Nonetheless, it’s quite an interesting comparison.

Opening the box, you’re met with the DAC in its foam throne along with the rest of the accessories.

Here is a full list of the accessories:
  • (1x) Simgot DEW4X
  • (1x) Type C to Type C Cable
  • (1x) Type A to Type C adaptor
  • Paperwork

O_KUtZsRTohjnrkXwTgZH4t_reEkyy_h4C1oP5A9mRjawnCzOoxklLVCUKZxjQKEdb3z3C-UFtAOrrDpy3w971Coxv_GY60LvP6QniDMqF2Y2nlwtYKuLuk4OZKC-BJQ45hN_0Of9EsgdT4HZcenh7Y

I never really expected dongle DACs to come with more than what you need, so I really don’t have much to comment on with the inclusions. The included cable, however, I’d like to talk about as it feels quite nice and sturdy. The adapter is also a nice but certainly required addition.

BUILD QUALITY AND INTERFACE:​

1mKNcZlpK24TvfRFQm15kbgay_O2r03K2ocQl-HxfVby2RphqIO8pPnXYV66Fe82s3FgNgwvBU7OhDyUgoIf6hKj0lFKv3XkDjdisGeamdID3M6z9FIGJYme8svKthm8m1Ojt64gM_h1Vv3SwpEliVE

There’s not a lot of information about the material of the DEW4X, but all I can say is that this thing feels surprisingly premium for how small and inexpensive it is. It has a full aluminum material with what seems to be a matte black finish,

9BG_zn6EpaTWNJyuDp4tqaMLVgk8SCGeBqAr6RigFncLO9GOSFlKD5jI8OaEwpoCjrgfC1lZ5BubAYkWJzlia7ZJbGXeJaXDdjuFIqUsXPqcf8Do92PlXbYFyBZ37_mNnPtUBW2ji8_dmsrPQepO_PM

It is absolutely tiny with dimensions of 41.7 x 24.2 x 12.0mm. This ensures that this will fit in even your small IEM pouch, although it is on the thicker side so be wary of that when shoving it with your IEMs.

zuMERAHpK8Vq6W7FIMGtlSZWZr11urEexxNvtSPcRzgEXCxugWPUEdDQUyaZ1DIloXsZXBrU778GfHoFxBevwXbNwUPwSalsKTc-0DHpgBxNsH3wPbZhyo3uYyDcRqebQd6I59L1D3v8NLRa8fF5c5o

A similar X that we found on the front of the box is seen on the top of the DEW4X. You can find the 4.4mm and 3.5mm jacks up front with the buttons on the left when the logo is top-facing and the jack in front. Below, you can find a rather odd print of the name of the DAC along with the decoding parameters and the tried and tested HiFi certification. Truly a HiFi product! And at the very back, we can find the Type-C input.

t2FlIPiBzqOfoA3AMvuNfpSAleD9UdK9hvi2JXWG8NP-bixT5bnPUAlzBaGVUF9ru_5ShgkElgzGili-YzMtpvNTkNnaRIWjsaMs5lvamzRnyAjt6aooiZBfYV-vP-9xrpxTe3NECPtJ4lJlHlW0JQ4

There’s also a VERY tiny hole near the type-c connector, but this is largely unusable and inconvenient.

9ieueXoiV05isr-8kEpnmxRkte31grg626KNj3fXGoZlRvx3Lp1XW82V8uHcQNvsaiAYMOzl7M8vnJJ8Lb-vNHFlHipjn3JKwndmqWuZ2caa8w6-WOpf8JqtrvWiQSHSgp9UJX30aWf81y48kThew_Y

My very small nitpick about the interface of the DEW4X is that the buttons have no indicator to know which lowers the volume or which increases it. This means awkward fiddling in the dark or even in light. It would’ve been nice if they had embossed it to have a tactile feel of which is + and which is -. Otherwise, I love the form factor of the DEW4X! It’s so small and pocketable which allows it to be very easy to transport and use as your daily source.

USAGE:​

To somewhat centralize my review of this DAC, I’d like to introduce a couple of new parameters when reviewing sources. These include compatibility, features, sound,heat dissipation and battery drain. Sound will encompass the power output as well as the sound presentation. Let’s get started!

Ease of Use​

GHYLRZxJkHq0b00KANiktX0a587ZeyWD-oL6PqxOkleDvbVTlXltEHpUbudAlZc87JHBgJ_VAKbzJ-vqGbWkihRPpNPm0dn00y2ujxQO2EnEQ5e5rQRzKdD1rYNRv7BDaIjSMVYZlVj9N72QjW10XQo

At first glance, the DEW4X may seem like a very simple device that you just plug and play. However, if you have 0 knowledge about other DACs that feature the same chip as the DEW4X, you might completely miss the LED indicator and the volume rockers that also act as the gain switch.

The only things mentioned in the manual were the UAC setting as well as basic setup which are most likely the first thing someone would do upon getting the DAC. This had the effect of me not knowing there was a gain switch and how many volume steps there are until the last few days of my write-up.

If a complete newbie sets up the DEW4X without knowing about the LED and especially the gain control, they’d probably be using only half the power of the DAC and not knowing if they’re decoding the right files or not.

COMPATIBILITY:​

I personally had no issues with compatibility with the DEW4X. All devices tested worked, including my Huawei phone which is often finicky with certain DACs. Here’s a full list of the devices I tested the DEW4X on:
  • Huawei Nova 7 SE

• Dual CS43198 Chips
  • UAC 1.0
  • PCM 384kHz/32 Bit
  • DSD 256

A rather basic set of features, but nothing that I’m not grateful for. There’s really no need for extra gimmicks if you can just put out good sound!

It does feature dedicated volume rockers and an LED indicator that can only be seen through the jack or the very small hole near the type-c connector. The LED indicator can indicate the type of file being played (although it is not stated in the manual) if you’ve reached the highest/lowest volume and whether you’re in low or high gain. None of the LED functionality and even the gain modes are mentioned in the manual but are found on the website at the very bottom of the fine print.

Heat Dissipation​

dpVBBHIciLij5bE-2INAAovinN-i8T54uKFtrx4AlVX-V-WxZXNeW3ZSGKXbql2jH2EF0h8dYM6v9DHwoDNUA6hMUMAJQScq5lZh30TLRP0wKtv5ivhTf6BECtRzuPLi_m18pLSdsi3FqQEwuOEYnnE

After 30 minutes of continuous play, I’m happy to state that the heat generated from the DAC is very minimal and is just naturally warm. I have no worries when touching the DAC after long listening sessions.

Battery Drain​

After 30 minutes of continuous play, I went from 100% to 96%. This means 4% per 30 minutes on average which is quite impressive. I was expecting around at least 6-8% already ticked down, especially with the power output of the DEW4X.

SOUND​

Power Output:​

XZjM-VBme699MEWLp26m3aWC9_JS3JOOobLHdjIW4C-mrBVs3g0h_0M7T7NmPalsxCIYSqvELbDnAnJrFQAcbZffSWQM7EqT4wzWkkssJ5mv23B3KOIMcy7WYpO-cU0QDhZ1SoBpYEvoGaueUzu55Fc

The DEW4X features a total of 31 ticks on its dedicated volume rocker. As for drivability, this was capable of driving easy IEMs with no hitches or issues as the volume goes low enough while being able to drive lower sensitivity IEMs like the KZ PR3 with a comfortable listening level of 23 ticks out of 29 on 3.5mm mode while going 18 ticks on the Letshuoer S15 on 4.4mm. This is quite impressive, especially considering the 98db of sensitivity from the PR3 that’ll surely get most sources chugging for power.

NOISE​

6aYcT8LsNzSfFY0gNh34l4Dg11KrajQTZJPFfZ-q0YeNXreQjDk9JX57B9m0Xld_7fPmIzmElj56Qxj7CIe_xAnRpEzoknjHR2JR6AfK5UQmdNIDcD7UmbxHaXyphrTfWQrdElgVKxWn-XUGt9_U8Gs

I did not experience any audible noise when paired with sensitive IEMs like the Letshuoer D13. All BA sets like the HiBy Yvain also proved no problem when it comes to potential noise when using more sensitive transducers.

Sound Presentation:​

The DEW4X has a generally neutral presentation with a slight emphasis on both the low end and high end without pushing the vocals too much. It gives the midrange a nice, open but articulate transparent presentation that doesn’t color the sound of the IEM much. It emphasizes extending and boosting both ends while smoothening potential peaks. This however comes at the cost of transient ability and a few dynamics, making these perfect for fast or bright-sounding sets that might come across as a little too snappy or edgy sounding. It doesn’t overly smoothen transients, but it’s distinct enough to notice when using it on sets like the KZ PR3 or their own Simgot EA500LM

As for its technical ability, it doesn’t provide an overly analytical sonic presentation so separation and layering aren’t mind-blowingly exceptional. It is, however, very clean with how it separates instruments as there’s no added grit, grain, or roughness in instruments that some less refined sources showcase.

Pairings:​

S8YW4vu3ixJdHmZPG6EXsa015C_wodOCy3p7AovfGLMsKkmBWuuRq18nxUkikI3T66EAnL2gLrZkAa4dj2qxXDrZZMKngKtKRk9uwTcXZzgbuMnNZMGDALgsjgG2ePYW81Z1c2uTA35z3C4xVQRCBXI

I’ve already stated the PR3 and EA500LM as the solid pairings with the DEW4X which should give you the idea that this is a source that would be nicely paired with brighter leaning transducers. It smoothens the top enough gracefully without making it sound dull or dark as it keeps the fundamental nuances. The boost in the low end also makes the bass region sound more alive and rich, but doesn’t meddle the midbass all that much so it stays clean.

Sc70g_DljPIxavHu4oM7GdU7JcgiHX8DqkguEPgskUmykcR63JvmcD1rEj1M1rrYXS2BK4-DMrrI08GyEWaAIawj0OG5IEBRqlMpRKVYW5vizSyfHvGe_gnaPLlZXInnGYF2xPNjUry0xaC3sDasFa0

Where this isn’t as nice to pair with is darker, already smooth transducers. Something like the Tripowin Kailua or the Letshuoer S15 prefers a slightly brighter source due to their lush and smooth sonic presentation. The S15 fairs a little better thanks to its planar nature, but I personally preferred a brighter leaning source for that still.

mgmBaEUmdIpv-3HVTfyyZkvz-OshlVG9TSTaaWXPWtBOLuxbzi1O8jOafW3aBEl57HAJOR8pQC2w83TRglQmM8H2HFP9aTnwaLQiu3kCso73sJ3e2arf2ChWJeqhMJeKLDDap3zFIi_udny2AhdsLX8

When using full-sized headphones like the Philipps SHP9500, it stretches all the way to 29 on some tracks and 26 on most on low gain and peaking at 25 on most tracks in high gain. It’s not necessarily lacking in terms of volume, but the headroom might be a little uncomfy fort some people.

COMPARISONS:​

Vs Hidizs XO ($99)​

SS-CqhSJPND8qrcLdvYHpEKGxSPvjMS0SspGnl8Ckipr848SrE6LWqFlZhq37QN-S8UPHD4eHjBCnkrF_e2I2XO6DenLB4fAnvFA843ymwtZjGe2sVrBw4Ff_NZYBak8qfeEK5o1i_hte4CynU9qF60

The XO is a rather peculiar DAC featuring dual ES9219C chips, RGB and different filter mods all with the change of a button. I personally prefer the form factor of the XO due to its slimmer, albeit larger design. Flatness and long is often more pocketable than small and stubby.

As for features, the XO is ahead in some regards and behind in others. For example, RGB and digital filters. Do you need them? No. But are they cool? Absolutely. The DEW4X takes a more conservative but more functional approach with dedicated volume rockers. The XO also features MQA, but that is a dying/dead tech that the DEW4X would rather not have anything to do with.

As for other features, XO boasts more like independent crystal oscillators which the DEW4X doesn’t explicitly state.

As for sound, the XO features a brighter, more transparent sound with more defined transients and dynamics compared to the DEW4X’s smoother but well-balanced sound. I’d say that if you wanted something that brought details out better, the XO would be a better choice. However, sets with a brighter leaning tuning would prefer the DEW4X’s smoother sound.

CONCLUSION​

I’ll admit, the DEW4X exceeded my expectations as a dongle DAC. Despite being so small, it packs a lot of power and sounds very clean while at it. There was little to no noise and the sound quality is quite smooth but still well-extended. It’s not the most technical-sounding source, but I don’t think that it tries to be. It’s a comfortable, smooth, and versatile DAC for most if not all of your IEMs.

It’s definitely not for those who are looking for something to power their full-sized headphones, however, as even on the SHP9500 it starts to lack a bit of headroom. The inconvenient position of the LED and the lack of instructions about it is also quite odd as I really feel like they could’ve implemented the LED better.

Nonetheless, it’s a powerful enough DAC with a smooth enough sound to make it a great entry into Simgot’s source game this 2024.

Thank you for checking out my full review of the Simgot DEW4X. Big thanks Simgot for sending over the unit in exchange for my honest thoughts. If you would like to buy your own check out the non-affiliated link below: https://www.linsoul.com/products/simgot-dew4x

If you have any questions or concerns, contact me on my Facebook page or at obodioreviews@gmail.com

Enjoy music and have a great day!

WATCH FULL REVIEW HERE:

164.9 KB · Views: 0
    18.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Comments

There are no comments to display.
Back