Shure SE215

General Information

First High-End In Ear headphones with replaceable cables under $100!

The SE215 earphones are the newest earphones of the new generation of the prestigious Shure in ear headphones family. We got a sample and they sound absolutely fantastic. The dynamic drivers move a ton of air and deliver an unmatched fun and musical sound. The flush fit and comfort are amazing. Aside from the 2 Year Warranty provided by Shure when you have an invoice from Earphone Solutions, the new SE215 has a removable cable, once found only in the $200+ models. You can now have the same technology and high quality snapping detachable cables on a sub-$100 earphones. The SE215 is now the best earphones under $120. With its comfort and flush fit is also the best earphones for sleeping, wearing under a helmet, running and for an active lifestyle. The new SE215 headphones feature dynamic microdrivers and formable cables that fit snugly behind the back of the ear. We love them! They sound, feel and fit like $200!

Latest reviews

Pros: Warm Mids, Ok Bass, Build-Quality mostly good, Price
Cons: Bad Cable, Bad Highs, Narrow Sound
Hello!

Altough I am fairly new to the whole Audio-Community-and altough most of you may not trust my review- I still made the desicion to post my experiences with my Shure SE-215 In-Ears here, hoping that some of you at least appreciate my effort. Furthermore I don't speak english as my first language, so if some of the sentences sound bad, or if there are mistakes concerning my grammar or anything, please don't hate me.

I am using my Headphones ONLY on my Smartphone (Huawei P20 Lite) and my Computer. Why am I posting on an audiophile platform then, you may ask yourself now. I bought those headphones for exactly that- Listening to music in better quality than with the standard airpod ripoffs.

Since those headphones weren't expensive, and I only heard good things about them, I decided to give them a try.

NOTE: I would have bought nicer headphones, more expensive ones, but since Im going to school my budget is very limited.

They cost around 100€ a year ago, in the box were a pouch to store the InEars (which i sadly lost), Silicone-Eartips in different sizes as well as Foamtips in 3 different sizes and a Cleaning-Tool.
15555951676857044979780378901375.jpg

Build-Quality (Extras)

The pouch was pretty good, soft but well built, it had an extra compartment for the eartips or really any extras you have. The only real problems I had with it was firstly that it wasn't very protective against pressure or anything (for example if you accidentally sat on it it wouldn't have protected much), so if you travel a lot with your headphones and maybe want to have them as long as possible, get yourself a nice travel case made out of hard plastic for 10 bucks off of AliExpress. But, if you just want your InEars to be protected from dust or water, or not just leave them in your pocket, then this pouch is good enough.

The silicone eartips are pretty good quality, the inside of my ears are huge, so I was a bit worried that they wouldn't fit my ears, but the biggest eartips fit me perfectly, so i recon that theres at least one pair of eartips that would fit most of the people out there. The foamtips on the other hand didn't really convince me. The isolation was quite horrible with most of them, the biggest ones fit me, and still the isolation wasn't as you'd expect it. I used them for a quarter of a year and suddenly the foam didn't "work" anymore, I could squish them as much as I want but the foam would go back to full size in an instant, so I stopped using the foamtips and just used the silicones, better fit, better sound, but not as comfortable sadly.
I know that that's maybe useless criticism for most but I still want to show you every aspect of the InEars.

Not losing too many words on the cleaning tool, it works, it's made out of plastic, nice to have and easy to use.

Build-Quality (In Ears)

Now onto the part that matters most, the In Ears themselves. I will start with the build quality, then the sound and my impressions with it.

The build quality is amazing, at least the build quality of the InEars themselves. They are made out of hardplastic, mine are black, but you can get them in clear and white as well I believe. The case is a 2 part construction, on the inside its hollow with the driver in them, so they are VERY light, I bet you would even notice them without a cable. On the inside, the words "SE 215" are printed on the case (obviously the name of the InEars) on the outside the name "Shure" is printed on, both in a silverish color, on the top, so nearly where the connector for the detatcheable cable is, and depending on the side, theres either a "L" or "R" printed on a molded letter, which is my only complaint about the case, the R, as well as the L, both wore off after 2 months, which is a little bit dissapointing, maybe they should use better color or something there.
15555952086947681762305400211204.jpg

Now onto the cable.
Oh lord, the cable. The most dissapointing thing about the whole thing. I've had the InEars for 3 years now, I bought a new original cable once, then bought cheaper ones off of different websites, all of them being better than the original cables. The first one, the cable that came with the InEars broke after one year, which can happen but obviously is quite dissapointing. Well I thought, Ill just buy the same cable again. This cable broke after 5 MONTHS (!). As you may expect already, I wasn't happy with that and I bought another cable off of a different brand which held up 6 months, only that it cost not even close as much compared to the original cable and it even improved the soundquality considerably. Companys name was "Ultrasone", I think. Either I had bad luck or the quality of shures cables are a joke, but be prepared to buy new ones once in a while.

The headphones sound amazing for the price.

Please keep in mind that I am fairly new in the Audiocommunity, so my experiences may be not as well described as many other reviewers. The audio-files on my Smartphone are the highest quality possible, downloading them off of the app-store.

The lows sound good enough, the bass is detailed and punch, altough it might be too loud or crunchy sometimes, I have tried other headphones from friends and not a single one ever had the same bass as the Shure ones, so if you are searching for something with a considerable amount of bass in the mix, those may be to consider.

The mids are pretty warm in my opinion, soft and they don't stick out as much as other headphones mids do, but I think they sound good, well balanced and in my opinion perfectly fine for the price.

One thing that was quite dissapointing was the lack of wideness in the sound. It sounded VERY narrow, even for 100 bucks i would have expected more.

The other thing that dissapointed me a little bit were the higher frequencies. They sound (in my opinion) thin, and, after longer sessions of listening to music, I noticed that they also get quite exhausting to listening to, maybe thats just my ear but the highs really aren't as welcoming and pretty sounding as the rest of the frequencies, also they don't stick out but even stay in the background, making the listening experience warm and deep.
1555595126956400749076474096516.jpg

The isolation on the InEars is amazing, I never thought I could block out so many things without active noice cancelling, all you have to do is find the right size of eartips for your ears and trust me, it's hard to hear anything around you to a certain point.

Conclusion

Now- would I say that you should buy them.

Yes, defenitely. For 100€ they sound good and the quality is mostly great. If you like to listen to music that isn't focused on the higher frequencies they are a perfect choice for every beginner out there, or really people that just enjoy listening to music but don't want to spend a couple of hundrets on better InEars.
Please keep in mind that you may need to change the cable sometimes, so if you want to spend 100€ once and never think about it again, those may not be for you.

I hope that the review was good enough, it is my first review ever and I know that it isn't really good, but please tell me how to improve so my next one is better.

Best wishes and enjoy your music,
Flo.
Reactions: voxie
Pros: Deep bass with long decay, decent mids, cheap, good fit, durable, accessories, noise isolation.
Cons: Treble roll off, fatiguing during long listening sessions, bass can bloat at times, narrow soundstage.
The Shure SE215 is a nice introduction to Shure's SE line of in ears. They have a fairly low impedance (box says 17 ohms, but online websites state 20 ohms). Amps aren't necessary as a result for these in ears.

I bought these at around $89, and I will say that these are wonderful for the price I paid for them. They are a great bang for the buck so to say.
The Shure SE215 comes packed with an abundance of accessories. It includes around 6 pairs of ear-tips, a cleaning tool, and a carrying case. The Shure Olive tips and silicone tips are decent, but I prefer to use the Westone Star-tips as I find them more comfortable and less fatiguing. Build quality is very nice, and they have lasted me for almost a year now.

What I liked about the Shure SE215:
The things that stand out from these in ears are: the deep bass, lushes mids, and noise isolation. The noise isolation of these in ears are among the best when compared to the other in ears that I have tried. Once you get a good fit with these, you'll be isolated from the world around you. The bass on these in ears are also really good once you get a good seal. I also loved the mids on these in ears.

What I didn't like about the Shure SE215:
The one thing that I feel the Shure SE215 lacks is treble. This in ear monitor does not extend too high in the frequency range which results with a dark and rich sound. Soundstage is also lacking, but I didn't expect too much from a closed in ear.

Conclusion:
Overall the Shure SE215 is a decent in ear monitor and a nice introduction to more expensive in ear products. It is definitely a great value for $99.

IMG_1287.JPG
Note: The tips on these are the thin and long Westone Silicone Star tips.
Pros: Good value. Built like a tank. Decent overall sound quality.
Cons: Not so comfortable. Very narrow soundstage. Fatiguing in long listening sessions.
This is my first review here on Headfi, so I'd like to apologize in advance if I make any mistakes or unwillingly break any rules with this post.

I am not going to do a very thorough review of my SE215, just wanted to give anybody who's interested my impressions on these IEMs after roughly three years of use, now that I am letting them go for something (hopefully) which better suits my taste (Sennheiser IE80).
I came to buy these IEMs essentially because of Headfi, and because of the very good reputation they have among audo-specialized websites and youtube channels. It has not been my first pair of good IEMs, as I came from a pair of Beyerdynamic DTX 101 ie, which I loved and broke too soon for my taste. I've also owned a number of good quality headphones (Shure SRH440, Philips Phidelio, Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro, Sony MDR 7506). I listen to many kinds of music, ranging from hard rock to classical, from acid jazz to blues, from instrumental (mostly acoustic guitar) to pop. My main sources are my smartphone (currently a One Plus 3) and my PC (no special audio device here, just a Fiio Olympus 2 to help driving my DT 770 pro).

My overall experience with the Shure SE215 can be called positive, with some flaws. Here are my impressions, divided in sections.

Comfort (and Design)
This is one of the main reasons (together with the fatigue, read below) for which I've finally decided to move on and replace the SE215. Right from the start I've had issues with the fit of these IEM into my ears. The fit problems were not so much related to the eartips, as after an initial period of experiments I've found the M-size silicon tips to be the best choice for me. What has put me off right from the beginning with these IEMs is the actual shape of the earpiece. They are in fact just a tad too big for my ears, which means that they constantly press against the outer cartilage when I'm using them. This has limited my listening sessions to no more than 45-60 minutes each, as I had to remove the earpieces to let my ears rest from the (slight) pain every time. I'm well aware that this issue can be virtually non-existent for someone else, but I wanted to give you my eperience nevertheless.
Another slightly annoying feature of these IEMs are the memory-foam parts of the cable, the ones which go over your ears, just to be clear. Not one time in these three years I could put the SE215 on without having to adjust the cable, being it just a bit or completely. No deal breaker here, but to me there's room for improvement.

Build Quality
Nothing much to say here, other than the fact that these SE215 are built like a tank. Simply put, you cannot break them with normal (and even a bit careless) use, and it looks like they won't fail on their own, at least for a very very long time.

Sound Quality
Some good and bad here for me. I am no proper expert, so bear with me if I don't use the correct terms. The sound from the SE215 is overall pleasing enough, with very flattering mids, enough bass (a bit muddy and slow, though), and present trebles. The treble itself is where I've found weakness on these, as to me they tend to sound a little bit too harsh sometimes, making me turn the volume one notch down, and sometimes making me take a pause from listening, as my ears felt a bit fatigued after a while. Equalizing them is out of the question for me. I like to listen to my headphones and IEM as-they-are-made.
Other than that, soundstage appears to be quite narrow. You can of course distinguish the various instruments pretty well, but it's very difficult to locate them in space, and the SE215 sound comes from inside your head, if you know what I mean. I'm aware that the construction of these earbuds makes them prone to low soundtsage, but that's my impression from them anyway.

Hope this is of some help to someone.
theveterans
theveterans
Your impressions seems like you didn't use a dedicated DAC/amp for this IEM.

Plug it in to something like Chord Mojo and now the bass becomes fast/tight and deep, treble fuller sound without being harsh, mids sound even sweeter and faster.
ame85
ame85
Hi, thyanks for your comment. I've tried the SE215 trhough my Fiio Olympus 2 DAC several times, but I did not notice a change in bass response so significant to alter my impressions above: the harshness of the trebles still remained (it could be that I am too sensitive to this) and yes, the bass response improved a little bit like you say, but still remained not so tight, at least for me.
Cheers.

Comments

There are no comments to display.