Rose Technics QT-9 MK2S

General Information

rose-technics-qt9-mk2s-1dd4ba-hi-fi-audiophile-flagship-in-ear-earphone-hifigo-966266.jpg

- Driver Configuration: 1DD+4BA
- Frequency Response: 8 - 44600Hz
- Sensitivity: 108dB
- Resistance: 12Ω
- Cable: MMCX to 3.5mm

Latest reviews

Otto Motor

Headphoneus Supremus
Great iems, but not for everyone
Pros: Excellent imaging, staging, timbre and other technicalities; light & small earpieces; superb accessories.
Cons: Midrange bright and lean; extreme nozzle angle and short nozzles may create fit/seal problems.
This analysis was previously published at www.audioreviews.org

Introduction

Rose Technics Co. Ltd. is a large tech enterprise out of Chengdu, Sichuan, China, that focuses on R&D, manufacturing, and sales of digital 3C products. Rose is one of their audio brands that strives for unique design and outstanding (sound) quality.

The QT-9 MK2S is the latest product of their QT series since 2014 and the 3rd generation of the QT-9 model (>10K sales). It features 5 drivers: a Sony LCP diaphragm, two mid-frequency BAs and two high-frequency BAs. It was tuned by a former Fostex engineer in a one-year period. Goal is to compete (sound) quality wise with $700-800 flagship earphones – at a mid-tier price.

As a (former) frequent traveller to Chengdu, I was not aware of Rose Technics, though I am almost certain I experienced their 3D printer demo at the local Holiday Inn back in 2005. I’d agree that the QT-9 MK2S is a unique design with a technically great sonic performance, which I applaud the company for…but I am personally struggling with these owing to my European physique. It comes down to “big head vs. small earphones” and German hearing vs. Asian-preference tuning.

Specifications

Drivers: 1DD (10mm diameter Goertek tungsten alloy diaphragm dynamic driver) + 4BA (2 TWF30018 mid frequency & 2 TWF30019 high frequency)
Impedance: 12 Ω
Sensitivity: 108 dB/mW
Frequency Range: 8 – 44,600 Hz
Cable/Connector: 4N single crystal copper detachable cable/MMCX
Tested at: $249
Product Page/Purchase Link: Rose Technics Outlet

Physical Things and Usability

In the box are the earpieces, a textile-coated non-microphonic cable, a set of eartips/foams, replacement nozzle screens, 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm adapter, MMCX tool, paperwork…and all that in 2 sturdy hard cases. Very generous, high-quality accessories.

The earpieces are made of plexiglas, which, in contrast to metal, works better at cold temperatures (“Canadian winter”), is a better electric isolator, and is very light. Build quality is impeccable. They are very small, smaller than any other comparable 5-driver iems I have tested, but they also have rather short nozzles at an unusual angle.

And that’s where my problems started. The QT-9 MK2S require deep insertion, which I cannot achieve with the stock tips. The SpinFit CP100 work better but I ultimately use the long Azla SednaEarfit. Whilst I reach a good seal, the earpieces always feel forced into my ears and are never really comfortable. The designer obviously did not have western head designs on the bill.

In the box…

Rose Technics Qt-9 mk2s

The iems and accessories are stored in two high-quality hard cases.

Rose Technics Qt-9 mk2s

Looking through the plexiglass: stacked BAs below the nozzle in the earpiece to the right.

Rose Technics Qt-9 mk2s

From L to Ri: MMCX socket, dynamic driver, angles nozzle with BAs.

Rose Technics Qt-9 mk2s

Deeper insertion is reached with the SpinFit CP100 (left) than with the stock tips (right).

Tonality and Technicalities

Equipment used: MacBook Air, iPhone |Earstudio HUD 100 with JitterBug FMJ, Questyle M15 (low gain), AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt | SpinFit CP100 eartips | stock foams | Azla SednaEarFit Long tips; Sony XBA tuning filters; 3M micropore tape.

Sonically, the Rose QT-9 MK2S are a somewhat different kettle of fish compared to what I have listened to over the last few years. Their overall signature is uniquely warm-bright-lean, almost fragile, possibly tuned with Asian markets in mind. The tuner claims it took him a year to get it right. But does the result appeal to everybody?

On another note, the sound of this earphone shows us once again the limitations of frequency-response graphs. What these graphs convey is quantities of sound pressure levels, which may give you hints that something is sounding “wrong”…or is not to your preference. But quantity and quality are not (linearly) related, and this graph holds a lot of information on sound quality back. Careful, please.

rose Qt-09 MK2s KAZi FR

Kazi’s measurements reveal a 6-8 kHz peak that causes irritation to my ears. The 8 kHz peak may be partially a couple artifact.

frequency response Rose

The company’s measurements bring the upper midrange peaks out even better.

In the big picture, the QT-9 MK2S may be unpleasantly sharp sounding to some ears whereas others welcome this signature. They offers a somewhat unusual combination of limited punch from the low end – and extreme crispness in the midrange, with “normal” attack but rather fast decay. A strange contradiction. You may try the QT-9 MK2S with warm sources first.

I lifted the nozzles screens off with tweezers and stuffed low-density Sony XBA tuning filters into the nozzles to round the midrange edges a bit. It makes some difference in the midrange (while not affecting the low end) but still may not be enough for some. I also taped 90% of the nozzle screens over with 3M micropore tape.

These measures affect the 2-5 kHz range, the most sensitive frequencies to the human ear, but they leave the lower-treble peaks between 5 and 10 kHz unaltered.

Whatever I did, it never resulted in an entirely relaxed listen for my ears. Every time I put these into my ears, it takes me some time to get used to them. So be prepared…

Rose Qt-9 mk2s

I added Sony XBA tuning filters (‘low-density foams’) to the nozzles to smoothen the sharp midrange edges, which does not affect the bass. The mid-density foams muddle the bass. Filters kindly supplied by Larry Fulton.

I continue with the modified version of the QT-9 MK2S. In order to compensate for the short nozzles, I replaced the stock tips with Azlas for deeper insertion (as mentioned before).

In detail, the low end is very good – and speedy. It offers a deep reaching bass into the lowest frequencies with a good rumble, always well composed, well layered, well dosed, finely woven, almost hesitant. Very detailed and marginally warm.

There is not too much oomph, the well-dosed low-end dynamics cater more to sophisticated jazz or acoustic music and less so to rock music. Led Zeppelin fans may miss some mid-bass punch, though it has enough zing (“quality over quantity”).

The low end stays where it should be and does not smear into the lower midrange, which is free-standing, more neutral and much leaner. Vocals are very articulate with excellent note definition but lean, breathy, and they bother my ears (probably because of the greatly overrepresented upper harmonics).

Without the mod, higher notes of wind instruments and strings were outright strident to my ears, which also stems from their overly fast decay.

After reducing the upper-midrange/lower treble energy with the mods, the crispness remains but these higher midrange tones are now better tolerable, albeit still far from being relaxed sounding. Vocals remain lean and can still be a bit scratchy. I’d prefer a bit more cream in my coffee.

On the positive side, the interplay of well-dosed bass and lean midrange provides for a very good spatial cues which is probably class leading. Musicians are well placed in space – and well separated from each other. Midrange is clean and clear, transparency is excellent and so is resolution.

Lower treble tags seamlessly onto the upper midrange. Cymbals are also crisp and well resolving, though still decaying rather fast, whereas upper treble remains in the background.

Timbre is natural apart from the fast midrange decay – and somewhat inviting to my ears. Timbre against midrange sharpness, a strange competition.

Stage scales with volume to my ears: at low power, it has a low ceiling but is reasonably expansive — everything becomes bigger when turned up, though it never reaches too deep.

In summary, my modding efforts affected the upper midrange (2-5 kHz range) but not the lower treble. The peaks between 5 and 10 kHz remained, which boost some upper harmonics, and cause me discomfort after a while. To me, the QT-9 MK2S offer the opposite of a relaxed, chilled listening experience, that is a technical and intense one.

Just like that German proverb “surgery successful, patient dead”, the QT-9 MK2S are technically and even timbrally excellent iems – as intended – that is simply a tad too much for my ears.

Beichuan 2004

Size difference: the author (in his younger years) with Sichuan natives, Beichuan, Longmenshan. Who will have the bigger ears?

Concluding Remarks

The Rose QT-9 MK2S are well resolving iems with a good timbre, but they may not be for everyone, fit wise and sonically (owing to their energetic upper midrange and lower treble). While the tuning aims to strive for technical perfection in terms of imaging, the result appeals to a certain listener preference.

Maybe, Rose should widen the appeal by offering two differently tuned versions, one for relaxed listening, and the other for spicy listening.

Until next time…keep on listening!

Jürgen Kraus signature
Last edited:

ywheng89

Head-Fier
Rose Technics QT-9 MK2S Review
Pros: Good bass reproduction (Personal preference)
Good note weight across the frequency range
Balanced tonality
Very pleasant sounding mids
Smooth and non sibilant treble
Plenty of detail
Cons: Stock eartips may not fit well for everyone due to short stem
MMCX connector (My right side is already loose and wobbly now)
Rose Technics QT-9 MK2S Review

6C-QDez7JkRDx1g0-SUtAo-YBkGbX5pSOR_ztwvh8CHxHeO5d2D1gubMMc7BmJVlelFVPNzBKlXDW3ZnSRtCBMzUSAxbtyaJceY5RZx6f4fEAAHE5igRBmszaFOcGZXA54WLskI8KGxqt8lSoQ

Intro
Rose Technics is a brand which flew under the radar of many audiophiles. They are very popular in mainland China but internationally,not so much. They are well known for their earbuds and also several IEMs which can be found in their Taobao’s store. I came across the design and specifications of the QT-9 and it piqued my interest in trying it out as their previous iteration of QT-9 is well received by several reviewers in HeadFi. Without further ado,I approached Rose Technics about my interest to test it out,and here I am today ,ready to pen down my thoughts about QT-9.

Specifications (Information grabbed from Rose Technics AliEx Store)
Impedance - 12Ω
Sensitivity - 108db
Connector - MMCX
Frequency Range - 8-44600hz
Drivers Config - 1DD+4BA

Packaging
The packaging came in a very minimalist style. It looks simple yet doesn’t lack the premium touch. The QT9's head unit itself is stored in a hard case, while the accessories such as eartips and cable are also stored in another hard case. I have yet to come across such packaging style at this price point, it is unique for sure and I appreciate the hard case given and it has ample space to store your IEM with cable, or you can even store your dongle dac/amp with it.

TbHjLJ91Rrfsw77SZWWHA75Z_BFPWWnnXyYbXH2UYtiWGvFj3zPjCH_mrMXk9d6HUDJ5b3lYyuFu_nwxj75Af8k9vcyHBiJHwBnumBXBWj1YVW35cM8kv9K01JoQDP7Xek_M3lJSu40Ay10cVQ

Build/Comfort
QT-9’s shell is made out of PMMA(methyl methacrylate) which is a kind of high toughness plexiglass. The faceplate is made out of Aerial Aluminium Alloy,which according to Rose Technics’s marketing material,will not oxidise nor risk the paint being stripped.

As for comfort,they are very lightweight and there aren't any weird protruding edges that cause discomfort. I am able to wear them for as long as I want without feeling any discomfort.

Source
Foobar2k -> TRI TK2 -> Rose Technics QT-9 MK2S (Stock cable and eartip)
Foobar2k -> Questyle M15 -> Rose Technics QT-9 MK2S (Stock cable and eartip)
iPhone 12 Mini Apple Music -> Apple Lightning 3.5 Dongle -> Rose Technics QT-9 MK2S (Stock cable and eartip)

If you are looking at the graph of QT-9 from Rose Technics’s AliEx store,you will see that it has recessed mids. Let me tell you that isn’t the case at all. The mids are in no way recessed,in fact the upper mids do sound a little boosted to my ears,in a good way of course. The tonality of QT-9 MK2S to my ears sounded neutral to slightly bright,it may come off as a little dry sounding to some depending on which source you are pairing it with. Let’s take a look at the break down below:

Bass
QT-9 MK2S’s bass won’t hit you really hard, it does its job,it is clean and punches hard enough when it’s called for
  • Bass is tight and clean,the speed is very good as well
  • Sub bass is slightly roll off,but you will still feel its rumble when it’s called for,it is not emphasised for sure
  • Definition is very good and well textured
  • Mid bass is no slouch as every drum hit got a very good definition to it,not to mention its speedy as well,very good and enjoyable thump
Mids
The mids of QT-9 MK2S reminds me of SeeAudio Yume’s mids. It is lush and certainly not dry sounding. The mids of QT-9 MK2s is clean and it sounded full
  • Vocal positioning is rather in your face,not laid back nor intimate,just nice to my ears
  • Female vocal sounded just right with the right amount of texture and body,not overly warm nor cold sounding
  • Male vocal sounded thicker compared to female’s,very enjoyable especially those male artists with a very low deep voice. A track that i enjoyed very much from Zhao Peng, The Moon Represents My Heart
  • Instruments sounded realistic and yet there’s a slight boost on the upper mids that can be felt,but to me it is enjoyable,your experience might differ as we all have different ear structures,all that does play in a role in terms of how you perceive the upper mids
Treble
The treble is very lively and vivid to my ears,yet it is not fatiguing and i enjoyed it alot
  • Very good detail retrieval capability and i can easily pick up the micro details on QT-9 MK2s
  • Good amount of air and well textured
  • The treble to my ears,it is as if a combination of monitor earphones with a hint of musicality on it,so it doesn’t sound dry
  • The treble is non sibilant,not fatiguing and very enjoyable to listen to,even when you crank up the volume,it remains very enjoyable
Soundstage and Imaging
  • Soundstage of QT-9 MK2S will largely depending on the eartips that you’ve chosen,for this review,i am using the stock eartips
  • On stock eartips, the soundstage is average,not to wide nor in your head,average depth and height
  • I tried Final Type E eartips and it does expand the soundstage making it sound wider and slightly taller
  • Imaging is quite good,stereo positioning is on point and instruments can be pinpointed easily
  • HRTF transition from left to right and vice versa is very clear across the transition

Comparison (SeeAudio Yume Midnight)
  • Yume Midnight is slightly warmer to my ears,it has got thicker weight notes and more slam on the bass
  • Yume Midnight doesn’t sound as vivid/sparkly as QT-9 MK2S (YMMV)
  • Fitment of Yume Midnight is a little problematic for me as it is slightly bigger,QT-9 MK2S fits very well in my ears
  • Mids noticeably better on the QT-9 MK2S,it is similar to the OG Yume,which sounded lush and sweet
  • Soundstage is wider on Yume Midnight but that’s not really a cons as it’s more of a preference,some prefers intimate soundstage while others wide,again,very easily rectifiable by tip rolling
  • In terms of technicalities,both Yume Midnight and QT-9 doesn’t stray too far off each other.I do find QT-9

Cable Rolling

• I do find QT-9 MK2s is sensitive to cable change as well,different cable material does affect the tonality of QT-9
  • I have tried several cables,pure copper,and silver plated copper,and mixed gold,silver,and copper cable,they sound different on QT-9 and it is fun to experiment with and see which signature you actually prefers
  • I settled with the stock cable in the end as i find it synergize well with my source and the signature is what i preferred

Final Thoughts
QT-9 MK2S in my opinion is the IEM that flew under the radar,I personally think that it deserves more exposure. Sound wise, for the price that it is asking for,I have tried several hybrids, although at a lower price point,but by paying slightly more for the QT-9,you are actually getting more than what you are paying in terms of the extra amount that you’re spending. Worth every penny in my opinion.

It may sound like I'm trying to shill QT-9,rest assured that I am not,it is just that good and who knows,you may like it after you try it.

If you are interested in getting one,head over to RoseTechnics AliEx store to grab a pair

*Although QT-9 MK2s is sent over to me for free for the purpose of this review,I am in no way influenced nor compensated by RoseTechnics in producing this review. The store link provided above is non-affiliated as well.

rU8uQLPH4qaQ8uZGldfhG45TwVU925l6vbIxDRPoo06GVBhT8eKh8CrhfZwFOZDisnqPogCvMFgz-V4_SMHXPdZatgRYOSiwsnv-IEW7SBl1uqSiezfRSjy88Io8O-i4rk6m-NuS6iPmDiFXvw

NymPHONOmaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: -very well balanced tonality
-pleasantly warm bass
-good note weight
-natural dense timbre
-good imaging with holographic layering
-beautifull male and female vocal
-immersive dynamic musicality
-no sibilance or harshness
-super small shell for a penta hybrid
-very generous packaging
Cons: -not the most controlled or snappy attack
-hint blurry micro definition
-lack of treble sparkle and air
-hint sloppy bass
1654209885372.png

TONALITY: 8.6/10
TECHNICALITIES: 8.2/10
CONSTRUCTION: 8.5/10
SOUND VALUE: 8.2/10

ROSES TECHNICS is a chinese audio company thats has been their for more than 5 years but seem to have take a hiatur or lack covering in audio world. I remember in my old chifi days, they were very respected and among first serious hybrid IEM maker with offering like the Rose Mini serie, ultra small multi-BA IEM that get good praise.
All this experience sure should pay off for tuning talent, which I will judge today with the review of their latest flagship QT serie offering, the Rose QT9 MK2S, a 1DD+4BA penta hybrid selling for 250$.

You can check how wide the Rose IEM catalogue is here (16 models, MK2S not include):
Rose Technics (penonaudio.com)

CONSTRUCTION​

image-2-1.png
image-3.png

Small, you say small?
If you look at Roses past IEM, it seem they love to use smallest shell possible for their driver configuration, the Mini being their smalles 3 BA housing, while this one being smallest of a penta Hybrid IEM I ever own. Small doesn’t always mean comfort, Tinhifi P1 being a good example, but the MK2S nozzle is perfectly angled to fit easily the ear canal and smooth plastic used have an organic shape, while the back is a flat metal plate so you can sleep on your ears without having any protuberancethat will interfer with an healty sleep.
Sure, the construction is all about practicality, it’s light too due to light plastic and alloy use, but the mmcx connector is well embeded and feel very durable, so overall built seem sturdy too. Since you can see through the body, you’ll be impress by quality of clean craftmenship too.

image-3-1.png

When it come to the cable, it’s a decen one made of braided nylon, which i like. It’s very light so I do think Rose have for goal to take care of all practical aspect, which I respect. Cable have an L plug, weight nothing, seem sturdy and have flexibile ear hook, overall great pairing I would say!

image-4.png
image-4-1.png

The PACKAGING really surprise me to say the least, I mean…I was thinking there were 2 pair of IEM since inside package cardboard their 2 solid magnetic carrying case, the package might seem small but is quite heavy and number of accessories included are near over the top! And everything is again practical and of good quality. The ear tips even have their own cases so in fact it make 3. We have an extra 6.35mm golden plate jack, 6 pairs of different model eartips all coming in M size and even a more than welcome MMCX disconnector tool. I’m impress!

SOUND IMPRESSIONS​

(gear used: Questyle M15, Tri TK2, Ibasso DX90 and Xduoo Link2 Bal)

image-2.png

The QT9 MK2S have a smoothly (and safely) balanced W shape tonality, from warm low to smooth gently bright on top, yet energic and treble focused enough. The mid bass is boosted in punch and texture presence, mids are widest focus, with emphasis on clarity and note weight while the treble is all about effortless clarity and snappy attack. Overall balance is highly cohesive yet not mushy or messy by warmed definition spike. Whole tonality mix in resonance, air and natural acoustic presentation, unlike lot of tubed IEM that tend to make presentation clinical or too perfectionist, here it’s life like musicality with a trick that make you think you have great hearing capabilities.

The bass isn’t what seek for your attention at first, yet, it never feel lacking. This is the type of rare IEM that render kick drum in all its well rounded glory, you feel and see the hit of every strike, it have punch and weight yet a tight attack and decay and texture is nuanced but never fall into dryness. Once you focus on bass, you begin to get addicted by its energic rendering and excellent transient speed. Metal rock fast drum strike will not overwhelme those and every hit will have its definition, this is how good is bass of QT MK2S. But to get this speed, well rounded define punch, their a trade off which is sub bass rumble, it’s more flat than mid bass and doesn’t move lot of air nor will make vibrate your ear drum. Again, Rose use a trick and doesn’t make sub bass line disappear, they are textured and well define, easy to follow it presence but not physical as said above. This type of bass have both ”oomph” and thumping rendering, yet no vibrant extension down to 20hz. Nonetheless, it feel well balanced, tone is right and the slam have enough dynamic weight to compensate a colouring preference.

Balanced armature mid range are rarely lush, dense or even realist, but Rose achieve a similar mid range than much acclaim Seeaudio Yume, with more notes weight and denser smoother timbre. Unlike the Yume, QT9 MK2S doesn’t have tubed balanced armature and presentation is more open and natural in resonance, less dry, bright and frontal than lot of other hybrid IEM. Yet, mid range isn’t warm, it’s clean, full sounding and highly resolved. Vocal of both male and female will be dense with texture richness, well sculpted presence thais is fowards but not unbalanced. Sure this resonance and note decay can stole some clean silence, but this doesn’t affect macro-resolution or sounds layers extraction. Tone of every instrument are right, gently bright yet realist in timbre. Transparency isn’t boosted here since texture saturate it a bit. Is there sibilance, no intrusive one to my ears, in fact, their more breathyness than upper mids bit, yet we have enough texture abrasiveness to rendr electric guitar bit and energic presence without timbral spike unbalance. Just wow really, these mids are dynamic, energic higly resolve and rightly softed in brightness, it’s sure not laid back or boring, but everything is so well rounded in Rose vivid colors universe.

And now this treble, following same tonal ideology where energy meet balance and avoid harshness. As if the tuner was addict to monitor speaker tonality but wish to inflict them extra musicality and just a pinch of fun. It’s full yet not overwhelming, crisp yet not trebly or too micro details fowards, ultra fast yet not out of timing with mids and bass. In fact, everything is at same speed with those, so the fast transient fascination isnt limited to highs and doesn’t distract you yet when you go in there, your blown away by tight snappy highs speed and timing, full sustain with just enougn decay to avoid dryness, i rarely share the tracks i listen to because I listen too much different music style, well recorded one is no1 bulimic obsession and i like challenging listen too, so fast crazy electronic beats is something i love to listen (and produce), this is a good test for QT9 that pass it like a champ, not missing one bit of percussions and giving them this exciting note weight highs often lack with BA. No shoutyness, just snap and crunch. And this is where my nit pick of utopian perfection come in, highs aren’t very sparkly, which will affect critical listening of Pierre Hantai session. In fact, treble as well as overall QT9 presentation is just not an airy one even if we never suffocate with them. It one with brilliance, snap and good note weigth impact.

When it come to spatiality, ear tips will inflict alot on this, to open these up i use Kbear KB07 which make overall soundstage a bit over average wide and deep, but not very tall nor very out of your head. I feel like their a pair of bookshelf monitor speaker with a sub in middle, at about 20cm of my head with perfect stereo positioning.

This doesn’t mean imaging is bad at all, quite the contrary in fact. Both static instrument placement and moving sound layers are easy to position due to well sculpted and define presence. We have an holographic instrument positioning which only big bass slam could affect accurate separation.

Technicalities are great but understated, in the sens everything flow naturally with the QT9, and lack of individual BA tubing let natural resonance mix togheter beautifully, which can mislead the listener about above average transient response. Dynamic is fast but warmed in edge, it’s not a crisp and sharp sounding IEM yet clarity feel effortless. Still, i do think faster sustain-release would permit cleaner presentation and add air to the top. So at they end, Rose put everything into tonal balance, avoiding a technical focused approach that would boost resolution or magnify attack snap, which is a bit lacking.

COMPARISONS​

image-1.png

VS KINERA IDUN GOLDEN 2.0 (1DD+2BA-180$)

The Kinera are brighter, dryer and more analytical with cleaner less warmed macro-resolution. Bass is less thick, more textured and dry, lighter in punch and less resonant in rumble, making the QT9 bass feel quite warm and dense. Mids are more agressive with more boosted upper mids, thinner brighter timbre, less dense and lush male and female vocal which seem very centered, QT9 timbre being notably denser and more natural and presence of isntrument and vocal more open and wide. Treble have more texture boost with IDUN, high harmonic are more boosted than low harmonic while QT9 have a good balance of both. IDUN highs are more revealing and boosted in micro details, they are more agressive, dry and upfront. Note weight is heavier with QT9 ,their less sibilance and both tonal and timbral balance is better, yet warmer and smoother. Soundstage is wider and taller with QT9, deeper with IDUN. Imaging is less foggy with IDUN but layering feel less dynamic and holographic.
All in all, IDUN sound more technicl-clinical-analytical than lusher, bassier and more organically balanced QT9 MK2S.

VS FIIO FH7 (1DD+4BA-500$)

Ok, i was very confident that Rose QT9 MK2S will beat the FIIO FH7…let say i was overly confident. FH7 is a brighter, bassier and more energic W shape, with a more open soundstage and holographic presentation. Imaging is superior and sounds layers are less compressed, but upper mids are more agressive and prompt to sibilance and vocal a bit more recessed and artificial in timbre while fuller and more breathy with the MK2S.
FH7 bass is incredible and sure higher in both quantity and quality, the slam have more weight and is better rounded and define, as well, we have more rumble and bass line are thicker and easier to follow than dryer one of MK2S. Strangely, bass is warmer and a bit more bleedy with MK2S too.
Mids are less agressive yet more dense and upfront in presence, but not as clean and well separated as FH7, so warmer they are and a hint more blurry yet not as grainy and spiky as FH7.
Treble is very different here, again, FH7 being notably brighter yet fuller in treble response which extract greater number of details to the cost of making percussions a bit too in your face sometime, were MK2S feel more balanced yet more rolled off after 10khz too. Attack of FH7 is more snappy too.
Soundstage as said is notably wider and deeper with FH7, imaging too is superior, more accurate and precise and less affected by resonance or lack of definition edge.
All in all, the FH7 is like a QT9 MK2S on steroid, tonal balance isn’t as organic but technicalities are superior…which confirm again how great these flagship FIIO are but how well tuned is 2 times cheaper MK2S too.

CONCLUSION​

image-5.png

It’s the first IEM I test from Rose Technics company and hope it’s not the last because i’m truely impress by how well balanced, natural and cohesive is the tonality for a penta hybrid of this type. This QT9 MK2S is a very musical earphones with heavy dynamic and smooth dense timbre, this is a ”Jack of all trade” kind of sound with it’s own twist, it can sound fun bassy as well a neutral warm depending of music you play, it’s versatility is one of it’s highlight as well as it’s innoffesive yet energic in dynamic weight higly appealing musicality.
I’m truely impress by the tuning fluidity of this IEM which can be put in same league as Dunu DK-2001.
Highly recommended!

PS: I want to thanks Rose Technics for the review sample. I’m not affiliated or financially compensated for this review. Their zero bias and i’m 100% as honnest as always.
You can buy the Rose QT9 MK2S for 250$, directly from their official Aliexpress store here:

For more honnest audio reviews, give a look to my No Borders Audiophile website HERE.

Comments

There are no comments to display.