RHA T20

4.05556/5,
Tags:
  1. Tobias89
    RHA's latest evolution, but not quite there yet. Keep it up!
    Written by Tobias89
    Published Sep 22, 2015
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Robust build, excellent choices of accessories, tuning system.
    Cons - Bass can be bloomy more than it is punchy, and treble can be harsh at times. “Only” above average detail retrieval and separation.
    Firstly, a big thank you to RHA & Iain for organising this tour of the T20, and for having the confidence and patience to allow me to take part in this, and for giving me the time to write this review at a slower pace than what others are taking, as this is the very first review that I’ll be writing (it won’t be the last though).

As the T20 is still with me, I will still be using it, and updating this review with any new thoughts that I may have, if any.

About Me
    I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Coming from a Klipsch S4i, it was certainly a huge leap upwards in price! I did my research, did multiple auditions before splashing the cash on the 846s, finally entering the world of head-fi. It has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. There are still so many things in the world of head fi I’ve yet to explore!

As I slowly explore various IEMs and portable set-ups, my knowledge of the entire audio world is slowly expanding. This allows me to learn to appreciate good sounding gears at various price points.

I decided to start writing reviews to contribute in my tiny way back to this community. It’s definitely an awesome community, although it has led to my wallet often disagreeing with me! Being new to writing reviews (this is my first), please take it easy if I'm not as descriptive or accurate as other members. I’m still looking to slowly develop a more consistent writing style as well. I’ll appreciate any feedback anyone has on any areas I could improve on!

As with all reviews, this review is purely subjective, based on my own experience, gear and preference! So YMMV.

For a list of my gears, past and present, I’ve linked my head-fi profile here.

Disclaimer
    The RHA T20 here is a review unit on its Asia Tour. I am not affiliated to RHA in any way. This review was done as part of a demo tour done with the Head-Fi community. For the purpose of this review, I will only compare the T20 with my M750i, which I have in my possession.

Specifications

1.35m, multicore OFC
    Connections
    3.5mm, gold plated

About the RHA T20
    The T20 is RHA’s latest flagship IEM offering, featuring what RHA calls a DualCoil™ dynamic driver technology, a tuning filter system similar to the T10 to adjust the sound signature, a patent pending mouldable over-ear hook and their signature injection moulded stainless steel housing.

BoxFront.jpg      BoxBack.jpg

Accessories
    The amount of accessories provided is simply mind-blowing! This seems to be the norm for RHA, based on the accessories provided with my M750i.

Included in the box in addition to the T20 (Reference filters) were 6 pairs of dual density ear tips (2 pairs each of S, M, L), 2 pairs of double flange ear tips (S, L), 2 pairs of memory foam ear tips (universal fit), 1 Stainless steel ear tip holder, 2 Additional Tuning Filters (Bass, Treble) with Holder, 1 Premium carry case and 1 Clothing clip!
    IMG_7124.jpg

Build
    The T20 is built like a tank, with the main housing built from injection moulded stainless steel. But really, it’s nothing new from RHA as all their products that I seen (mainly the M750/750i, T10 and T20 now), are extremely well built.

Holding it, it’s definitely heavy! However, when wearing it, it is comfortable enough that I did not feel the weight of the T20. The built in ear hooks, while being long, are very comfortable as well, never interfering with my glasses. The cable feels well-made and strong, and microphonics is a non-issue as well. The strain relief of the T20 is excellent to, with its spring based design that gives much more confidence in its durability. In short, everything about the T20 is well made and feels that they were built to last, which is par the course for the MA750 that I have as well, so nothing surprising to me here.

My only gripe with the build of the T20 would be a cable that is too long (for me) and the Y-split’s location, which is located too far down the cable to be of any practical use.

The rig used for this review are; PC (Foobar-ASIO) / Samsung Note 3 > Chord Hugo > T20 (Reference Filter)

Bass
    The bass on the T20 is obviously boosted. While not to the point of being bloated, it does feel inaccurate due to the boost, and tracks on which I did not notice much bass previously felt bassy with the T20. However, it is still rather well controlled; with little bleed into the mids, but I still feel that it could have been tighter.

Sub bass is present with good extension, but feels too smooth and lacks details. Mid bass is where most of the bass emphasis is, and it doesn’t disappoint, being fast and punchy. It has a slightly slow decay, and with the boosted bass, this results in a slightly bloomy effect while listening to complicated or bass heavy tracks, which left me feeling slightly overwhelmed at times.

Generally, I’d say that the bass on the T20 is fun and enjoyable with excellent punch without messing up the midrange, with the slight lack of details being its downside.

Mids
    Mids on the RHA T20 while lush and clear are slightly recessed, giving it its U shaped signature. Vocals feel laid back and relaxed, but its lushness allows it to remain engaging.

It’s still pretty clean despite its slightly thick presentation, as the bass doesn’t bleed much into the midrange. Clarity is good but instrument separation on complex tracks isn’t as good as expected. The mids is not my favourite part of its sound signature, but it’s due to me being more used to more linear or forward mids on my IEMs, so YMMV.

Treble
    Treble on the T20 is the best in the RHA series so far, with good extension and detail. As with the bass, the treble decay tends to be slightly on the slower side. It rarely feels harsh to me, although it is certainly splashy and peaky at times.

This is especially so with the silicon tips, which may cause the treble to border on being sibilant. Foam tips do takes the edge of the treble, and might be preferred by some. However I still prefer the silicon tips or my spinfit tips, as luckily it was just slightly below my threshold for sibilance. J

Soundstage
    Soundstage of the T20 is decently wide and airy. Soundstage depth is just average, and while imaging and separation are good, but not outstanding, sounding slightly congested on complicated tracks.

Bass Filter
    The Bass filter gave a more intimate soundstage, and rolled off the treble the most of the 3 filters. Mids ended up more recessed and veiled, while the overall sound became much warmer. It does live up to its name though, significantly boosting the bass quantity, This comes with a trade off, with the bass quality decreasing slightly.

Treble Filter
    Bass becomes a bit less prominent, while upper mids and treble becomes more prominent. Overall sound became brighter, and might be too bright for some (me included).

Brief Comparison VS MA750i
    Bass is more enhanced and prominent on the T20, with the bass on the T20 extending deeper as well. Mids are slightly more forward, richer and clearer, although still very similar in tonality. Treble is brighter and has better extension on the T20 in comparison, with much more details and clarity compared to the MA750i.

The RHA T20 is very similar to the RHA MA750i, with a very similar signature, albeit with a warmer take, yet improving on the MA750i. Generally, the T20 is a much improved and refined older brother to the MA750i in all aspects, so anyone looking to upgrade from the MA750i yet still retaining the MA750i sonic characteristic should give the T20 a shot.

T20MA750i.jpg

Conclusion

The T20 has the typical RHA house sound and further improves on it, being a step up from the MA750, combining a U-shaped sound signature (boosted bass, slightly recessed mids, and well-extended treble) that is more forgiving, if one is not sensitive to treble.

With its boosted bass and bright treble, the T20 is not for those who are looking for neutral sound or those who are sensitive to treble. However, I have to add that the treble is improved with burn-in and further tuned down when foam tips are used. The T20 also does benefit from some tip rolling! Sound quality does improve when using better sources, showing that it does scale pretty well. Despite this, I’d have to add that the T20 is somewhat thick sounding, perhaps due to the way its bass and midrange is presented.

So, if you’re looking for a detailed yet fun U-shaped sound signature with pretty good clarity and imaging, this deserves more than a look at. The build quality and accessories provided are an added bonus as well! The T20 is definitely worthy of being RHA’s new flagship, and is RHA’s most neutral sounding IEM yet!

Ending Notes
    As a matter of personal preference, while my initial impression of the T20 was ok, I didn’t really like it that much. It took me quite some time before I got used to its signature. I have to say again that despite that, it’s still the best RHA I’ve had the luxury of trying, and I do prefer T20 over the MA750i. Still, I’d prefer if the bass could be tighter and the treble could be more refined to eliminate or at least tone down the splashy treble.

As the competition in this price bracket is heats up with good entries from other companies as well, I hope that RHA will look to further improve on its tuning as it has done so with the T20 (in comparison to RHA’s previous offerings) while maintaining its awesome build quality and plethora of accessories.
      earfonia, Brooko and RedTwilight like this.
    2. earfonia
      IMHO, comparing to my impression of the sound quality of T20, this review is the most accurate so far.
      earfonia, Sep 23, 2015
    3. ofern321
      Nice review! How does it compare with your Shure 846?
      ofern321, Nov 7, 2015
    4. meringo
      I 100% agree with this review. Thanks!
      meringo, Dec 8, 2015
  2. lin0003
    True Flagship Quality
    Written by lin0003
    Published Sep 22, 2015
    Pros - Design, Sound, Filters
    Cons - Isolation
    First of all I’d like to thank RHA for sending out a unit of the T20 for us to do an Australasian tour. RHA is a company that I am quite familiar with now, having tried their other two previous flagship IEMs. The MA750 was the first RHA product I tried and I was very impressed by the build and the sound that it put out. However, their last entry into the mid-range market, the T10 left me wanting a lot more as far as sound went. It was overly bass heavy and I noted that they needed a more “reference” reference filter.

T20-image.jpg

The T20 is the successor and the new RHA flagship and is supposed to incorporate the suggestions that came from the T10 and pick up from its mistakes. I had very high hopes for the T20, and I loved the design aspect of the T10, so was happy when I discovered that the T20 would have the same design as the T10. RHA is known for the build and meticulous attention to detail of their IEMs and the T20 certainly continues that trend.

The T20 is priced at $240 in the US and this slots perfectly into the mid-range of IEMs. This is a price bracket which I feel has the best money to sound ratio and going into the high end market will cost considerably more with little return. The competition over here is very stiff and I was curious as to see whether it would knock off the DN-2000.

**Disclaimer** These were provided by RHA for a tour in return for an unbiased review.

Unboxing & Accessories

The packaging is classic RHA again and it certainly looks very well presented. The box shows off the many features that it has and it showcases the red dot design award that it received. It tells you on the front of the box that it comes with a three year warranty, compared to the one or two that most other competitors offer. Opening the flap will reveal a graph with all three of the tuning filters and there is a clear plastic window where you can see the T20 along with the tips and filters. Good presentation and the packaging survived the tour rather well, so it seems unlikely that it would get damaged in transit.

The T20 certainly comes with a ton of accessories. It has a lot of tips including foam ones so everybody should be able to find a comfortable fit easily. The tips are all on a metal plate, just like the other RHA IEMs and this is a really nice design IMO. There are 3 tuning filters, which is one of the selling points. The change is not all that large between each of them, but it’s not exactly subtle either. The case is also the standard RHA leather case and it serves its job very well, but it would maybe be nice to see something that it more protective. There is also a cable clip and a manual. Overall, this area is good just like all of their other IEMs.

t20-7.png

Design & Isolation

The physical presentation of the T20 is amazing, it is the same as the T10 except it has a vent on the face. The brushed metal looks excellent and it is very well built. The build is also very impressive, all the seams are very tight and the earpieces just feel very well built. They do scratch quite easily though, so be careful with them. The entire housing is made of brushed stainless steel and is very well finished. The left and right side are colour coordinated, which is a nice touch. The shape also fits very well in my ear and it is shaped like Shure or Westone IEMs. Seal was a little hard to get with these with the stock tips, but I think that might just be my ears and not the T20.

The cable is awesome just like the T10. There is no remote on the T20, but I’ve heard that RHA are going to come out with a T20i, which is the version of the T20 with a remote and mic. The memory wire, just like the T10, is ever so slightly too long and it goes a little past my ears. The cable feels very solid and is just the right thickness and still remains flexible. The jack has a good strain relief, but it’s is really long and it is probably just a little too intrusive. It would be nice to see a more low profile strain relief.

Isolation is probably a little under average for these, the vent really doesn’t help isolation too much. In relatively quiet areas, the T20 has no issues, but in noisier public places the T20 may not do a sufficient job at blocking out sound. It’s not bad, it’s just not that great. Listening to this while I am typing this review, I can hear my mechanical keyboard quite clearly.

Master-T20-postcard-image-RC.jpg

Testing Gear

I tried the T20 with a range of sources and I discovered that it actually scales quite a lot, more than the price would suggest. The best pairing I found was the iBasso stack that I have been pairing with the 1plus2. I used it with the D14 as a DAC and the P5 as the amp. I felt like this really brought out the dynamic sound of the T20, and made it sound more alive than from other sources I tried. The DX90 was quite a good pairing, but it didn’t drive the dynamic driver with the same authority that the P5 had. I tried with the iPhone 6 and the Xperia Z2 and they sounded really poor, lifeless and quite dull, I would really recommend pairing these with a high end source, because they really need something good to shine. I also decided to use the treble filter for the review, because I found that it was the more natural sounding filter out of all the three options.

t20-rha.jpg

Just a word of warning, these require burning. RHA sent them to me first and out of the box I was really disappointed. Upon hearing them, I felt like RHA still hadn’t addressed the issues that plagued the T10 – bloated bass, overly warm sound that lacked clarity. However, after it did the rounds around Australia and New Zealand, I was actually really impressed with the sound and was shocked just how much it had changed. So when you just get them, don’t judge them straight away. I’m not sure how many hours the T20 had gone on the tour, but I’d say to burin them in for around 200 hours before judging them.

Filters

Like I mentioned before, I used the treble filter to assess the T20 and I’ll give a short comparison of what the other filters sound like. The reference wound is bass heavy and is a little less treble happy compared to the treble filter. However, with the treble filters, the bass also seemed to decrease. I’m not sure if this was actually the case, or whether the increase in treble gave the impression of reduced bass. The bass filter was not great IMO, it increased the bass from the reference filter, which was already a little too heavy to start off with, so unless you are a basshead, I wouldn’t recommend going anywhere near the bass filter.

T20-ear-image.jpg

Bass

The bass was pretty much what I expected TBH. I knew that RHA are a somewhat bass heavy company and all of their IEMs that I have tried are all somewhat bass heavy. The T10 was overly so, but the T20 certainly takes a good step back and it is nowhere near as bass heavy as the T10. The bass is strong, but feels rather controlled and is not bloated whatsoever. There is a little bit of boominess, but it is not to the point where it bleeds into the midrange and it is actually rather pleasant. I find myself reaching for the T20 over my other IEMs when I am looking for a bit more of a bass response. Detail is quite good, speed is obviously not great, but this is the trade-off for a bass heavy IEM. Extension is quite good, but not the best I have heard in the price range. There seems to be a bit of sub-bass roll off and the bass hump sounds like it is in the mid-bass. Bassheads will love this.

Midrange

The midrange was probably the area that came as the largest shock of all. It is very clean and crisp, not warm or tinny at all like the T10. The midrange actually sounds like it some from a BA driver and not a dynamic driver. The clarity that is has is excellent, on par with the DN-2000, and I’m very surprised that it manages to do all of this with a single dynamic driver. It is probably one of the cleanest sounding midranges from a single dynamic driver IEM. I felt like the tonality of these with the treble filter were perhaps just a tad bright, but they are by no means cold at all. With the treble filter, it is a little recessed, but not overly so, they are just a little laid back. Instruments have a natural timbre to them. Vocals are excellent, they sound very natural and they sound very clear due to the tuning.

Treble

With the treble filter, obviously the treble is more boosted than the reference filter, but it sits right in my sweet spot – it is almost perfect for my preference. I like treble to be slightly elevated and the T20 with the treble filter is exactly that. With the reference filter the treble was quite neutral. The upper registers have slight roll off, even with the treble filters, but it doesn’t really affect the sound much. Cymbals are excellent and they have a very natural tone and sparkle to them. There wasn’t any sibilance, but I’m not very treble sensitive so I guess this can change from person to person. Detail is excellent, not quite as good as the dual TWFK of the DN-200, but it holds its own well. The treble sounds excellent with the treble filter, it really showcases the ability of the T20.

HRA.jpg

Soundstage & Imaging

The soundstage on these is rather large, both wide and tall. It certainly challenges the DN-2000 and perhaps even betters it in this regard. The soundstage seems much more expansive than the T10, which is nice. The width especially was impressive, it was considerably wider than the DN-2000, but obviously doesn’t reach the levels of the 1plus2. Height is good too, it gives the entire presentation a concert hall sound. However, something that could perhaps be improved on is the depth, it wasn’t quite able to keep up with the DN-2000 and as a result, the DN-2000 had a more 3D soundstage. The T20 is very impressive in this areas.

The imaging is on par with the soundstage, they are both very impressive. While it isn’t as pinpoint as the TWFK hybrids that I have heard, it does superbly for its price point and its single dynamic driver produces a very accurate and clear stage. It doesn’t do layering quite as good as the DN-2000, but it is still very good. It is very easy to tell where instruments are even when the stage gets quite crowded. Overall, the T20 is very proficient in this area and passes with flying colours.

t20-filters.jpg

Separation, Detail & Clarity

The T20 is also very goods in separation despite its single dynamic driver. It fares well on congested tracks and background instruments are not masked by the main ones even in complex passages. It doesn’t quite do as well as the dual TWFK in the DN-2000, but it holds its own well. It is certainly a huge upgrade over the T10. The T20 is up there with the best in this area, but it doesn’t quite match the DN-2000.

With the treble filters, the T20 is actually a really detailed IEM. I wasn’t expecting the T20 to be as detailed as it was, having heard their past 2 flagships. They were both warm and that blurred out details. However, this is not the case with the T20, and it is a very detailed IEM, but falls short of the best of the BA IEMs. TWFKs simply are more detailed, but for a dynamic in this price bracket, the T20 is excellent.

While the T20 isn’t as cool as the DN-2000, it is about as clear as the Dunu. The bass response is boosted, but this doesn’t really affect the clarity. Everything sounds sharp and clear without seeming artificial. The decay is very realistic and natural, the timbre is just right. Both vocals and instruments are all very well balanced. The T20 is superb here, it manages to have great clarity while still sounding natural.

t20-3.png

Conclusion

The T20 with the reference is the perfect IEM for a moderate basshead, who likes their bass, but also looks for clean mids and treble. The reference filter is great for people who just was a more V shaped sound. The T20 is a very versatile and the filters allow people to select the tuning which they prefer the most. It is an excellent choice and stands alongside the DN-2000 as an IEM between $200 and $300 that I would happily recommend to others. The T20 really does stand out from the crowd with its design and energetic sound signature.
      McSchnauze and Jeff Y like this.
    1. earfonia
      Though I disagree on the sound quality assessment, I do admire your pictures in this review. Really nice and well taken! Well done!
      earfonia, Sep 22, 2015
    2. meringo
      ugh... reviews like this are making me want to re-order. I bought, and returned, being incredibly disappointed in the sound quality. Bloated bass, and edgy highs. From nearly everyone I've talked to about this, they mention that burning in is a requirement.
      meringo, Sep 22, 2015
    3. senorx12562
      Nice review, thanks. I bought a pair of the t10s, and could only get on with the treble filters, but found they didn't improve with more time, so they ended up being just a little v-shaped for me. Gave 'em to my edm/rap listening son (with the bass filter already installed of course). He loves them. Good to hear that they have improved on them for old guys who have lost a little HF hearing. They sure look good, too.
      senorx12562, Sep 22, 2015
  3. Tom22
    Superbly Built, Re-Tuned,Round 2 is a Great Success for RHA's New Flagship! + Comparisons!
    Written by Tom22
    Published Sep 20, 2015
    Pros - Plethora of Accessories, Robust build, Ergonomic, Bassy, warm sound, good detail, Filters Tuning System
    Cons - very long cable, nozzle could be angled slightly towards 45 degrees, on the pricier side
    What do you think of when you hear: injection moulded stainless steel housing, dual coil drivers, interchangeable tuning filters, and a 3 year warranty.
    The RHA T20 is the probably the only earphone with this mix of characteristics.   At first glance, the T20 appear awfully similar to its sibling the T10.  I thought the same way when I finally saw pictures of them, there seems to be very little differences, aesthetically anyway.

However, it seems that RHA had been listening to the feedback  they received from the T10 and upped the ante with the T20, by implementing a “dual coil dynamic driver” (aimed to better separate the bass, mids and treble), in addition to all the goodies that was already present on the T10.
    Despite the beautiful craftsmanship and accessories of the T10, the sound of the T10 had generated mixed responses from many users on head-fi and beyond, especially being premium, luxury product at the price of ~$199.
    Lets find out, if its strike 2 for RHA or have they hit homerun with the T20s.

Disclaimer: As with every review, price is always in consideration when rating and commenting about the gear I am reviewing. I want to thank RHA and nmathesis as well as all my other peers on head-fi for making this T20 tour possible. I’m very glad to be a part of the North American Tour for the T20.

Below is my Full video review over on youtube of the T20 and my T10i review for reference. (i have also included my comparison video of the T20 vs T10i as well). Enjoy!

Accessories:
    The T20s come with an abundance of accessories, and for good reason considering, it’s a premium product commanding almost a $300 price tag.  It comes with:
    3 interchangeable filters (bass- black, reference-silver, treble-gold)
    A Metal Platelet  to display the above mentioned filters
    6 sets of single flange (of the hybrid variety, in various sizes)
    2 sets of biflanges (2 sizes)
    2 sets of foam tips
    An elegant metal frame to hold the included eartips
    A large zipper carrying case (to store the earphones and all the eartips)
    A clothing clip
    An Exceptionally Long standing 3 year warranty.
    20150730_194024.jpg

20150730_1938260.jpg

20150730_193744.jpg

20150730_193716.jpg

Summing up, theres not much more you can really ask for in terms of accessories, the T20s have certainly impressed me with the amount of goodies it comes with.
    Overall: 10/10

Build quality:
    The T20s are built simply superb. The injection moulded stainless steel earpieces have a very robust quality to them, they are quite heavy, on display is beautiful craftsmanship and a luxurious feel.  Moving down toward the cables, the T20s have a black, medium-stiffness memory wire, to help prevent the cable from flopping around, especially since the cables are on the chunkier and thicker side. The cables impress and provide assurance that the T20s will last for a long time, even under the most active and rigorous conditions (I honestly think they can be a used a rope to harness your bikes to your car on road trips). The drawback of this thick cable is the additional weight that comes with, making a bit cumbersome and noticeable when turning your head quickly.
    The headphone jack terminates in a straight angle jack with a long spring acting as as a strain relief. Personally, I would have liked to see a small, compact L shape/90 angle plug with a shorter strain relief section to help assist in portable listening environments.
    Overall: 10/10

20150730_193138.jpg

20150730_191549.jpg

20150730_191519.jpg
    20150730_193226.jpg
    20150730_192710.jpg

20150730_192648.jpg

Comfort:
    The way the T20s were designed and with the addition of memory wires, signal that the T20s were intended to worn cable up, helping to to minimize cable noise.  I found the comfort to be above average, despite the slightly larger, “tubbier” housing. This is mostly due to the very smooth housing, that convey a sort of “organic” shape.  I found sleeping with them quite comfortable, I was able to lie on my side in bed with them, and because their so solidly built, I’m wasn’t afraid of waking up to broken earphones, considering I toss around in bed quite a bit.
     In retrospect, my outer ear did get a bit sore after 2-3 hour session; I suspect that may have more to do with the angle of the nozzle then anything else. I would prefer a nozzle that is angled about 45-60 degrees as with its competitors. Overall, in terms of ergonomics, I felt RHA has done a fine job.
    Overall: 8/10
    20150730_191502.jpg

20150730_191451.jpg

Isolation:
    In my short time with them, unfortunately, I wasn’t able to use really put the T20 to the test on public transit and the like. However, in my general use, (around the house and around the neighborhood and mall), I found the isolation to be above average, despite the vent/mesh on the face of the earpieces.
    Overall: 7.5/10

Sound (In general terms)
    The RHA T20, is an essentially a re-tuned, and I consider “better tuned T10”.  In my opinion, I felt T20’s sound is what the T10 should’ve been. But in my conversation with nmathesis, we agreed that the T20 came to fruition only because of the feedback from the community and consumers alike from the T10s. Well, if that’s the case, I’m happy camper.
    So, lets get down it!
    The T20’s general sound signature stays true to their house sound, a textbook “V shape sound signature”, that’s warm, and bassy with a crisp treble that works well with today’s modern music.

Filter system:
    **In my conversations with RHA, I was able to confirm that the T20s have the same tuning system as the T10i.**

I will summarize the sound signature of the T20 below, the filters do alter the sound (but it’s more of a tweak, rather than 3 completely separate earphones).

Bass- The bass is impactful albeit a bit on the slower side, but attention grabbing, quite satisfying bass. It impress you with the amount of bass those dual coil drivers can generate, more so then the detail and the texture. The bass has more emphasis in the midbass, with a bit of bloat, but is compensates with great definition down into the sub bass as well. This makes the T20, fun but not an overwhelming bassy experience. I think this bass boost if very appropriate if your using them during your commute to help cut through the rumbling and shuffling in loud noisy environments. (If this doesn’t sound like its enough bass for you, skip down to the bass filter section).

Midrange- The midrange does take a small dip, but is quite competent, clear. While a doing good job sounding  clean, and natural, (good detail in conveying the texture and characteristics of voices). However, obviously it wasn’t tuned with classical or acoustic pieces in mind, instead it chooses to excel in genres such as pop, and electronic music. That said for as bassy earphone, I’m very happy with the midrange performance of the T20. The Reference filter helps accentuate conveys the most “natural” sound of the bunch. (skip to the reference filter section below).

Treble- The slight dip in the midrange climbs up in the upper midrange to the lower treble, giving more life and energy, giving tambourines, and chimes a “clean” sort of metallic/shimmery texture.  The top end extension is good, but I feel its missing that extra little bit of “air” needed to really take the T20s onto another level. (If you want more treble extension and sparkle see the Treble filter section below).

20150730_192417.jpg

20150730_192119.jpg

20150730_191956.jpg

Favorite Filters Ranking:

#1 Treble filter sound
    They open up the RHA house sound, which makes the sound leaner, which I think is a good addition considering I find the T20s can get a bit congested at times with the other filters (the Treble filter is stark contrast compared to the Bass filters). The treble gets a bit more shimmer and extension, and allows female vocals to gain more energy, but at times I can see that it can be interpreted as maybe a bit thin or brash. I think it could use a bit of tightening up here (maybe a bit of dampening), however it’s the liveliest sounding of the 3 filters. The treble filter just edges out the reference filter as my favorite filter.

#2 Reference filter
    I quite like the tuning with the reference filter; the tonality is spot on for a bassy earphone. I could use a bit less bass however, as I felt that it can get a bit too thick in the mid to upper bass, causing a bit of smearing. The reference filter is probably the filter with the widest appeal (don’t let the word “reference” fool you, they’re anything but flat or neutral sounding).  The reference filter is probably the most natural sounding of the bunch and that’s why I slotted them at a firm #2.

#3 Bass filter
    This is where bassheads unite! The bass filter on the T20 I find is more likeable than the T10i with the same filter. The bass here does reach basshead levels and its very chunky and very chesty, and it does dominate the sound signature as expected.  This filter is a great option for the average consumer who wants big bass punch with a rolled off treble.  For me however, I found the Bass filter to be my least favorite of the bunch, it felt too bloated to my ears, and due to the rolled off treble, caused it to sound dull and overly dark.

20150730_191713.jpg

20150730_191645.jpg

20150730_191629.jpg

20150730_191609.jpg

Comparing the Brainwavz S5 with RHA T20 (with Treble filter)
    The T20s have a more refined sound overall, the bass more even (less midbass bloat), and hits lower. The treble is cleaner, refined as well, it also has less veiling in the upper midrange. Soundstage-wise, it’s more well rounded, where as the S5s are wider in terms of left and right then height.

Comparing to the Yamaha EPH 100 with the RHA T20 (with Reference Filter)
    The tuning here is more similar, with more bass punch on the T20s, whereas the EPH 100 has more defined and extended treble, revealing the finer details.  The biggest difference between the T20s and the EPH 100 lies in terms of their physical build. Where the EPH 100, sorely disappoints with a thin, fragile cable, with long but flimsy strain reliefs. Whereas the T20s, look like they can withstand the heavy abuse squashed under a backpack full of heavy textbooks.

RHA T20 Bass Filter with RHA T10i with Bass Filter
    This is a direct comparison between the current and former flagship from RHA, with the same filters. Listening to songs like  “Let’s Go by Calvin Harris Feat Ne-Yo”, and “ Party Rock Anthem by LMAO, the T10i will give that boomy, chesty bass bump, but I felt the bass suffered from some smearing and can sound one-note.  In terms of the bass, I found the T20 to be tighter, with the edge in terms of scaling. Also, the T20 trades off some of that bass found in the T10is for a bit more upper midrange-lower treble, giving those synths more liveliness. Both earphones are polite, and dark sounding, so they good choices for the treble-sensitive bassheads out there.

20150730_194915.jpg

Overall: 8.5/10

In conclusion, while the price tag of $249 is not what many attribute as being a “budget” product. The T20 is not really targeted toward that demographic. For a mid-high tier product, the T20 packs a lot of desirable features (robust steel housing, ergonomics, and sound) in a relatively compact package.  Personally, I would be more comfortable seeing the T20 in the $170-200 price range, but it’s an earphone I can very comfortably recommend if you have the extra cash to splurge.

Overall Rating: 44/50= 88%
      McSchnauze likes this.
  4. HiFiChris
    Bassy but Classy
    Written by HiFiChris
    Published Sep 14, 2015
    Pros - mids resolution, overall resolution, bass quality, soundstage, sound tuning filters, build quality, ergonomics, design
    Cons - some edginess in middle treble, filters don't have much effect on bass quantity (too much bass with "Reference" filters), low y-split
    Preamble:

Before I start with my review, I want to thank RHA for providing me with a sample of their T20 in exchange for my honest opinion. Please note that I am not affiliated with RHA in any way.

RHA is a manufacturer of In-Ears with dynamic transducers and based in the UK. Their latest In-Ear flagship, the T20 that retails for about $240 in the US, has got (like its predecessor) three different interchangeable tuning filters for individual sound customisation.

An interesting novelty is its DualCoil™ driver, a new coaxial-like construction with two independent voice coils that are attached to the single diaphragm that reproduces lows in its centre and high frequencies on the outside. One can see an explanation of the DualCoil transducer’s working principle along with a nice exploded drawing on the packaging.
    In my review, I will also include comparisons to the Sennheiser IE 80, as I see it as a direct competitor in this price range.

Just as the other RHA products, the T20 is covered by a three year warranty.

Technical Specifications:

Weight: 39g
    Cable: 1.35m, multicore OFC
    Connections: 3.5mm, gold plated

Delivery Content:

The T20 comes in a beautifully designed packaging which has got a magnetic flap that covers a see-through plastic window on the front side, allowing you to take a look at the In-Ears, filters and eartips. On the flap’s inside is a nicely labelled exploded diagram that also explains the DualCoil driver’s operation principle.
    Opening the packing, one will find ten pairs of eartips (one is already preinstalled), the tuning filters, a pleather carrying case (that looks and feels just like the one that came with the former Bose earbuds, but has got an additional pocket on the inside), a shirt clip and last but not least an illustrated multilingual instruction manual.

P1020536.jpg   P1020537.jpg
    P1020538.jpg   P1020539.jpg
    P1020546.jpg   P1020548.jpg
    P1020549.jpg   P1020551.jpg
    P1020553.jpg   P1020554.jpg

Aesthetics, Build Quality:

The premium In-Ears’ bodies are made of stainless steel, seem very sturdy and well-made and feature engraved company and model names on the front and the back. Conveniently, both non-removable cables have got colour-coded strain reliefs close to the IEMs’ bodies to simplify identification of the correct side.
    The y-split is also made of stainless steel, has got a nice overall design and features “Designed by Lewis Heath” lettering on it, whereby “Lewis Heath” is illustrated calligraphically.
    The 3.5 mm headphone jack is also made of stainless steel, with the same design as the Y-split, but has got a silver-coloured spring as strain relief – that’s an inconvenient, but very effective way to prevent lead fracture and makes the In-Ears differ from other companies’ models.

Just as the In-Ears, the holders for the eartips and tuning filters are made of stainless steel, too. The latter has even got threads, but they could have been better cut, as some of the filters don’t screw in smoothly. The filters’ and IEMs’ threads however are very well cut and screw in smoothly.
    By the way, the interchangeable tuning filter tubes have got spongy damping material inside, just as the Shure SE846’s tuning filters.

The cable is pretty long and appears to be very sturdy.

P1020558.jpg   P1020561.jpg  ​
    P1020562.jpg   P1020567.jpg  ​
    P1020563.jpg   P1020564.jpg  ​
    P1020568.jpg   P1020569.jpg  ​
    P1020570.jpg

Comfort, Isolation:

Just as most In-Ears in the premium segment (except for few models), the RHA is designed to be worn with the cables over the ears, which improves fit, comfort and reduces microphonics.
    Although the T20’s weight is comparatively high, it sits very comfy in my ears and I don’t even notice that it is heavier than most In-Ears, which is also achieved by the excellent and ergonomic shape of the IEMs’ bodies, which is (with a slightly different angle of the sound tubes) also used by Westone and Shure.
    The mouldable ear hooks that are used by RHA are patent pending and very flexible (although they stay in place nicely) and not stiff like most other IEMs’ ear hooks that are generally made of steel wires.
    Nevertheless, there are few, but not bothering microphonics that can be eliminated completely by using the included shirt clip.

Noise isolation is just marginally better than average, but noticeably higher than the Sennheiser IE 80’s.

T20’s sound quality was mainly evaluated with my iBasso DX90 playing CD rips and Hi-Res files; listening tests were made with the large single-flange silicone tips. The In-Ears were burnt in for at least 50 hours before I started critical listening.

The T20 offers three different pairs of sound tuning filters for individual sound customisation to one’s personal likes. This idea isn’t new and was used in some other In-Ears in the past; nevertheless it is a nice way of altering certain frequency bands to one’s personal preference without having to buy several IEMs (a few companies offer various versions of the same IEM that only differ in tonality).

Tonality:

The difference between the various tuning filters isn’t huge, but noticeable.

“Reference” filter:

With these filters that come installed as standard, T20’s overall tonality could be described as bassy-dark and consumer-oriented.
    Bass is quite prominent and starts quite early with about 10 dB in upper bass, but luckily only slightly more level in midbass. Subbass rolls off a bit, but is still audibly emphasised.
    Lower ground-tone area is also emphasised, but clearly less than the bass, wherefore sound isn’t warm, which is also because the ground-tone and lows in general don’t bleed into the mids which are present, but neither recessed nor emphasised.
    In my ears, voices are moderately on the brighter side, but sound still natural.
    Except for a rather broad-banded peak at 4.75 kHz (I used a sine generator to locate its exact position) highs are gently recessed, while upper highs are more in the background than the rest.

“Treble” filter:

With the copper-coloured treble tuning filters which are completely empty and undamped, bass loses some of its presence, just as the ground-tone area that starts to sound leaner.
    Mids and voices are still rather on the brighter side.
    Middle treble gains some level and the peak minimally shifts to 5 kHz; upper treble is less recessed, but still audibly in the background.

“Bass” filter:

Perceived, bass maintains the same level as with the “Reference” filter, but ground-tone area gains some and therefore sounds warmer.
    Interestingly, the “Bass” filters are the only ones out of the three that in my ears alter mids’ tonality. The black filter tubes that have got the most foam/sponge material inside make voices appear tonally correct and lose their slightly bright character.
    As expected, highs are pushed back further and the peak in the middle highs loses edginess.

---

T20’s tonality compared to the Sennheiser IE 80:

The RHA has got definitely less ground-tone that also starts extending lower than the Sennheiser, which sounds much warmer and has got dark voices due to its utterly emphasised ground-tone area. RHA’s voices are clearly superior.
    The Sennheiser has got a bit more midbass.
    While the Sennheiser’s lower and middle treble are recessed with a following peak in the lower ranges of the upper treble, the RHA (with the “Reference” and “Treble” filters) slightly emphasises the middle treble and has got an audibly recessed upper treble. It’s up to one’s personal matter of taste which of the two styles of treble emphasis is the better one.

Resolution:

For an In-Ear with dynamic transducers, T20’s resolution is on a very good level and all in all comparable to the IE 80’s level of details and even excels it in some areas.
    What the T20 does really well are voices: they are well-contoured, very clean, differentiated and precise – something where the Sennheiser somehow fails in comparison in my opinion.
    Although T20’s treble is quite high resolving, the Sennheiser briefly wins in this category, as highs have got a slightly too hard attack on the RHA’s side and also seem marginally uneven in the middle treble.
    Something that really surprised me in a positive way was the RHA’s bass which is very dry, hard hitting, controlled and punchy for a dynamic transducer and clearly excels the IE 80’s rather muddy lows, although it could have a bit less upper bass for my tastes.
    Regarding bass quality, the difference between the three tuning filters isn’t huge, although the “Treble” filter offers the fastest bass out of the three, whereas the “Bass” filter has a somewhat slower decay, but without losing crispness or sounding slow. The “Reference” filter is somewhere in between, but closer to the “Treble” filter.

Soundstage:

Typically for vented dynamic In-Ears, T20’s soundstage has got a good expansion to the sides, but without sounding unnatural or exaggerated. Spatial depth is also present, but of lesser amount, though clearly present.
    Instruments are very cleanly and precisely separated from each other and layering is also pretty decent.

Although the Sennheiser IE 80 has got the bigger soundstage (both in terms of width and depth) and therefore is able to achieve the better instrument placement, the RHA T20 has definitely got the sharper instrument separation and offers the better and more precise layering.

Conclusion:

With its current flagship, the T20, RHA has developed a very interesting In-Ear that is on a high technical level and features a new coaxial-like dynamic driver unit, called DualCoil™.
    Build quality with mostly stainless steel elements is flawless and the ergonomic In-Ears sit very comfy and securely in my ears, additionally their bassy sound is highly resolving with very well differentiated mids and voices, dry and fast lows, adjustable treble through the included tuning filters and a good soundstage reproduction that provides a very precise instrument separation.
      Jeff Y and Hawaiibadboy like this.
    1. Demo3
      I am looking forward to giving these a listen at the RMAF.  Thanks for the preview.
      Demo3, Sep 14, 2015
    2. tmarshl
      I have a pair of T20s, and I agree with your review.  Thanks for providing your evaluation.  I appreciated the selection of foam and rubber tips, but I didn't find the tuning filters particularly useful.  After trying them all, I went to the Reference filters and didn't give it another thought.
      tmarshl, Sep 15, 2015
    3. HiFiChris
      @tmarshl

Thank you for the feedback. Going back and forth, I also found myself prefering the Reference filter.
      HiFiChris, Sep 16, 2015
  5. doublea71
    Something for (almost) everybody: The RHA T20 IEM
    Written by doublea71
    Published Sep 10, 2015
    Pros - Enjoyable sound with tuning options, superb build quality, high-quality accessories
    Cons - Tuning options may not suit everybody, cable is too long/not removeable, sound leans more towards the consumer-friendly market rather than audiophiles

The RHA T20: Something for (almost) everybody
    IMG_1860.jpg

Note: I was a participant on a tour organised by RHA on head-fi, and received zero compensation in return for providing this review.

First, some information about the T20 from RHA:
    specs.png
    accessories.png
    IMG_1873.jpg
     ​
    Lots of goodies included, all bearing the RHA logo, which is quite fetching imo.
    IMG_1874.jpg
     ​
    A nice, aluminum tip holder - very cool design imo.
    IMG_1875.jpg

The sexy black leather case - very nice!

frgraph.png
     ​
    The FR graph from RHA's website.

How I Went About Things

I used these for a couple of weeks as I do on an everyday basis - I didn't do anything special other than a bit of subjective A/Bing with other earphones in its range that I own (VSonic GR07, Aurisonic Rockets) through my Cowon J3 with no amping. I listened to 16/44 flac and wav files from a variety of genres, and mostly from recordings that are considered to be well-mastered. I used them on my commute, at a local coffee shop, at work, and at home - pretty unscientific, but this is what I came away with.....

I think they tick most of the boxes here for me. The quality of the cable, plug, strain reliefs, and Y-split are all excellent. They are also consistent in terms of style, which is clearly important to the folks at RHA - they are on a branding mission with their earphones and I think they're succeeding in this regard. I really like the strain relief used where the cable meets the straight 3.5mm plug:

IMG_1847.jpg

It's just a beauty, isn't it? The only problem I had with the cable was its length - much too long for me when my DAP is in either my chest pocket or pants pocket. It was a bit annoying, but they do include a cable clip to help manage this. The cable doesn't tangle easily, so that is another in the win column. The quality and attention to detail is apparent, and the finish is very, very nice. The Y-split gets the same level of treatment:
    IMG_1846.jpg

I don't use sliders with IEMs, but this one seemed to do a reasonably good job.

The earpieces are pretty well-known by now, so there's nothing really new for me to add - they are excellent, even worthy of a much more expensive flagship with the exception of the cables being non-replaceable. They are a bit heavy (and I wonder if the thickness of the shells can be reduced), but comfort is as good as anything I've ever tried, largely due to the absence of corners and edges - everything is smooth and nicely rounded. They're pretty small, too, so they should fit everybody. Isolation is average. The memory wire which loops over the ears is a nice touch - it's a bit different than what I'm used to as you can certainly bend them to your liking, but they retain a bit of spring, too. They are reasonably thin (certainly thinner than the ear guides that come with my VSonics), so it was never a bother even when wearing eyeglasses. Top notch!

IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg

The Sound

I can't talk about the sound without mentioning the swappable, color-coded tuning filters. They do work and they come with a very cool storage system - you simply screw them on the aluminum holder when not in use:

IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg

These also use what RHA calls "DualCoil" Dynamic drivers. I am not able to provide an explanation of what that means to the average consumer, but I suppose it looks cool on product literature. I will leave it to those with a stronger background in this field of technology to comment on the implications of these particular drivers - all I can offer are impressions from the perspective of a fairly middle-of-the-road head-fi nincompoop.

When I received them, they had the bass filters in, and I didn't really care for the sound. I'm not a bass head - I like tight, controlled, but accurate bass. This sounded too boomy to me, especially with sub-bass, but I did give it a few days to see if brain burn-in changed my opinion. Nope. I then went to the reference filters and still felt that there was too much bass emphasis for me - it was a better sound, but still not my cup of tea. On to the treble filters. This had the right amount of bass for me (though quality was not the best I've heard), but then the treble was too fatiguing for me to enjoy them for extended periods of time. Herein lies the potential problem: the changes made by the filters may not give you "just right". You may have to, as I did, choose the one that least displeases your ears rather than what sounds perfect. I went back to the reference filters after trying all three and stuck with these for the remainder of the time I had them.

Bass: Overtime I came to appreciate the bass a bit more than I expected - it sounds a bit thick which a touch of boominess, but it does give the overall sound more body and richness than what I normally prefer, and I was really enjoying it by the time I had to send them on to the next participant in the tour. I felt like I could live with this compromise, though it's still not as well-rendered as the GR07 in this department. However, I wouldn't characterize it as being uncontrolled. They may have nudged my tastes towards the world of bass a little bit, to be honest. As I read about the Noble K10 and other IEMs that offer a complete bass experience, I find myself thinking that I need a bit more of it in my life after the T20.

Mids: I thought these were good and I couldn't hear anything seriously wrong with them. They aren't as clear and airy as they are on my Rockets, but they are a bit richer-sounding which has its own appeal. Yes, some may find them a bit congested in comparison to other earphones, but I would be surprised if anybody felt like they were not at least decent-sounding. Voices sound natural with good clarity, but using either the bass or treble filter may give them the impression of being veiled or recessed. Pretty good in this department with the reference filters imo.

Treble: Very good level of detail and toes the line by not being sibilant with the reference filters. Not flagship-level treble, but pretty good for its price point. Those who are less prone to sibilance may find the treble filters to be pretty engrossing, but that wasn't the case for me - they sound great at first, but fatigue set in pretty quickly and I knew these weren't the filters for me. Reference filters were more than acceptable for me, though. They sound better than the VSonic GR07s, which are notoriously sibilant. Perhaps the level of detail isn't quite on par with the VSonics, but these are seemingly without any significant spikes in the highs and are better for long-term enjoyment.

Final thoughts and a couple of recommendations

Perhaps the best thing I can say about the sound of the T20 is that once my brain burned in, I found myself paying more attention to the music than the IEMs themselves. People talk about earphones that are fun and enjoyable, and these most definitely are. Critical listening does reveal shortcomings, such as the bass presentation. With the reference filters, it wasn't distracting and I've since come to appreciate a fuller bass presentation then I did before I tried these. Combined with the level of comfort and build-quality, I have to say these are going to please a lot of people, but I fear that serious audiophiles may pass on them. Ultimately, I think they are going after people who are new to the hobby and are more accustomed to a typical consumer-friendly sound. These seem to be trying to rope in both segments, but I'm afraid serious enthusiasts looking for a true reference IEM may be left wanting. Their branding campaign, while very eye-catching and well-implemented, is evidence to me that they are more concerned with attracting the mass market than the much smaller niche of audiophile obsessives on head-fi; from a dollars and cents perspective, it is the obvious move and it seems to be working - their products have made it into the Apple Store. My hope is that they develop another product in the future that is clearly aimed at the headphoneus supremus rather than everybody.

If I were to offer any recommendations to RHA, I would suggest that they:

1. shorten the cable and consider a user-replaceable model (balanced?)
    2. target the serious audiophile niche market with no compromises (a big ask, I know)

There aren't many things on my list, so I think this is going to be a fairly successful product on the whole. Thanks again to RHA for setting up the tour and their willingness to interact with head-fi members.
    1. Takeanidea
      Excellent analysis , well presented , photos were great too. I agree with your thoughts on the bass, it did have a richness to itand was the strongest point in relation to these IEMs for me. I found , as I think you did, that in the audiophile areas surrounding air space sound stage micro detail and treble fatigue the T20s may not appeal to all of us.
      Takeanidea, Sep 10, 2015
    2. meringo
      I agree 100% with this review. I'm one of the ones who ultimately couldn't deal with the treble fatigue and returned them. Great headphones for the masses, but maybe priced a bit too high and not quite audiophile. I can't wait to see what they produce in the future, though. Definitely RHA's best effort to date.
      meringo, Sep 10, 2015
    3. gerardrosales
      Have you heard the MA750's? It would be really great for you to hear them and give comparisons. I demoe'd the T10 and it was sibilant on my device and a completely different signiture from my 750's. However it seems like the same shortcomings from the 750's are carried over to the T20's: slightly consumer friendly bass, recessed mids, and peak in the lower treble.
      gerardrosales, Sep 12, 2015
  6. Brooko
    RHA T20 - Evolution & Progress For RHA
    Written by Brooko
    Published Sep 8, 2015
    Pros - Build, fit, comfort, accessories, design, tunable, warranty, robust bass, detailed but fun signature
    Cons - Deep Y split too low on cable, cable bulk, filters only tune mids/treble, bass still north of neutral
    t2029.jpg
    For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images

INTRODUCTION

I was first introduced to RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) during a review tour for the RHA T10i arranged by David (lin0003 on Head-Fi), and t would be fair to say that although the build and fit were impressive, the sonic signatures (even with filters) left me feeling disappointed - too bassy / warm. This time RHA have retuned the default signature to give some more top end and modified the bass so that it doesn't quite overshadow the mid-range. David again organised a tour with the new T20, and my thanks to him (and RHA) for giving me the opportunity to partake in it.

Reid Heath Acoustics (RHA) is a Scottish based headphone company. Their core values (from their website) are described as follows:
    “We stand for true-to-life audio reproduction and lasting quality. With these values at our core, we work to deliver the most accurate, comfortable and unobtrusive listening experience possible. Every RHA product combines high quality materials, precision engineering and our fundamental commitment to design.”

Their current product catalogues ranges from the budget oriented MA350 (~ USD 40) to the current flagship T20 (~ USD 240) which I have the pleasure of reviewing today.

In the last couple of weeks I have spent as much time as possible listening to the RHA T20. Sadly I don't have a chance to directly compare to the original T10, but toward the end of the review I have compared the T20 to some other IEMs in similar price brackets.

In the time I've spent with the T20, I’d estimate that I’ve logged around 20-25 hours actual listening time.

DISCLAIMER

I was provided the RHA T20 (as part of a tour) from RHA and lin0003. I am in no way affiliated with RHA - and this review is my subjective opinion of the T20. The tour unit was returned at completion of the review.

PREAMBLE - 'ABOUT ME'. (or a base-line for interpreting my thoughts and bias)

I'm a 48 year old music lover. I don't say audiophile – I just love my music. Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current set-up. I vary my listening from portables (Fiio X5ii, X3ii, LP5 and iPhone 5S) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > USB > iFi iDSD). I also use a portable set-up at work – either X5ii/X3ii > HP, or PC > E17K > HP. My main full sized headphones at the time of writing are the Beyer T1, Sennheiser HD600, and AKG K553. Most of my portable listening is done with IEMs - and at the moment it has mainly been with the Dunu DN-2000J, Trinity Delta, and Dunu Titan. A full list of the gear I have owned (past and present is listed in my Head-Fi profile).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock. I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock. I am particularly fond of female vocals. I generally tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced, but I do have a fondness for clarity, and suspect I might have slight ‘treble-head’ preferences. I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the T1 and DT880.

I have extensively tested myself (abx) and I find aac256 or higher to be completely transparent. I do use exclusively redbook 16/44.1 if space is not an issue. All of my music is legally purchased (mostly CD – the rest FLAC purchased on-line).

I tend to be sceptical about audiophile ‘claims’, don’t generally believe in burn-in, have never heard a difference with different cables, and would rather test myself blind on perceived differences. I am not a ‘golden eared listener’. I suffer from mild tinnitus, and at 48, my hearing is less than perfect.

For the purposes of this review - I used the RHA T20 mostly straight from the headphone-out socket of my iPhone 5S, and also from my Fiio X5ii. Whilst I have tested the T20 with portable amplifiers (E11K & E17K), IMO they do not benefit sonically from additional amplification. In the time I have spent with the T20, I have noticed no change to the overall sonic presentation (burn-in), but am aware that I am becoming more used to the signature of the T20 as I use them more often (brain burn-in).

This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience. Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

THE REVIEW

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES

The RHA T20 arrived in a reasonably large, but attractive black retail box (in a very similar style to the original T10i). The front flap is hinged to reveal the inner compartment - which really does look very spectacular, with a full window view of the IEMs, accessories and tuning filters.

t2004.jpg t2005.jpg t2006.jpg

T20 retail box

Rear of box

Inside cover

The inside flap of the box displays the make-up of the new driver, a little about the dual coil technology, some specification details, and a frequency graph. The rear of the box lists some more information on creating the custom injection moulding for the housing. It’s great to see so much information readily available – good job RHA.

Opening the T20 retail box gave me a feeling that this is indeed a premium product - it really does leave you with a little "wow" factor. Inside the retail case is an open inner box with foam inset which holds the T20 (cable nicely wrapped around the foam), filters and tips.

t2007.jpg t2008.jpg t2009.jpg

Windowed section displaying T20 and accessories

Foam tray with T20 and accessories

T20 accessory package

Lifting the foam inset out further reveals a lower plastic compartment housing the carry case, manual, yet more tips, and a shirt clip.

The user guide is a mini multi-lingual booklet and is superbly designed, and informative, including a response graph, and full information on everything you may need to know about the T10i – from cleaning to getting the proper fit. A lot of thought obviously went into this. Kudos RHA.

The carry case is a large soft zippered case measuring approximately 127mm x 77mm x 25mm (at its deepest point) – so while it’s not pants pocket friendly, it does pocket very well inside a light jacket.. It is well padded, with generous inner pockets and a very soft outer covering which feels like soft Lamb Nappa leather – not sure if it is synthetic or not. The case is large enough to hold the tips in their steel display tray.

The tip selection is generous, and the tray includes 2 pairs of dual flange silicone, 5 pairs of single flange silicone, and 2 pairs of foam tips. The mounting tray is stainless steel, and once again gives a feel of something upmarket. The 3 bags inside the box contained a further 9 pairs of tips!

t2011.jpg t2012.jpg t2013.jpg

Quality case

Copious tip selection

T20 and included filters

Lastly there is another stainless steel plate which houses the metal filters. Like everything else, it is both functional and stylish – and clearly states (treble, reference, bass) which filter is which.
    Impression so far, like the T10i, 10/10.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

39g
    IEM Shell
    Metal Injection Moulded (MIM) stainless steel shell

FREQUENCY GRAPH

The graph below is generated by a new measuring system I’m trialling – using the Vibro Veritas and ARTA software. I don’t have the calibration 100% correct yet – but the graphs I am getting are relatively close to Innerfidelity’s raw data (on other earphones), and I think are “close enough” to get a reasonable idea of the frequency response for the RHA T20. Over the coming months I’ll be adjusting a pre-set compensation curve so that I can get the graphs more consistent with Tyll’s curves.

T20graph.png

What I’m hearing though (reference filter):

1. Bass that hits reasonably low and is a little above neutral in quantity
    2. Very cohesive and quick mid-range with good transition between upper and lower mid-range. Clean and clear vocals with a little more emphasis on upper mid-range.
    3. Reasonably extended upper end which falls short of sibilance, but has enough extension to nicely cover cymbals.

BUILD QUALITY / DESIGN

The RHA T20 has a two piece injection moulded stainless steel body which is one of the smoothest, and well designed IEM shells I’ve ever had the pleasure of wearing. The shell is a little under 20mm in length, 19mm in height, and 11 mm in depth (18mm if counting the nozzle length). The nozzle features a threaded cavity to house the screw in filters for personal tuning. On the exterior of the IEM body, next to the “RHA” engraving is a small mesh covered port – I’m assuming this is to vent the dynamic driver.

t2016.jpg t2017.jpg t2018.jpg

Inner shell of T20

Outer shell of T20 (note the vent)

T20 with filters intact

The ear guides attach to the housing with excellent strain relief (blue for left, red for right). The ear guides themselves have been patented by RHA, and are very formable, with a soft and malleable protective outer sheath. I’m not sure what materials are involved, but they are one of the best example of formable ear guides I’ve encountered – and for me, are very comfortable. The T20 are designed to be worn over the ear only (my preferred method). The formable guides end with a strange 20mm plastic/rubber section which joins to the cable proper. I’m assuming this is simply to accommodate the join between the formable guides and the cable – but it does look a little strange and ungainly.

The cable is relatively thick and sturdy, well sheathed, and best of all does not display any memory or kinking. It is virtually microphonic free below the Y-split, but there are some microphonics above. Of course use of the shirt clip, and keeping the cable underneath clothing relieves most of this. At times I wish that the cable wasn't quite as bulky as it is - a little thinner would make it a lot better.

t2019.jpg
    t2020.jpg t2021.jpg

Y slit and cable cinch

3.5mm straight jack

T20 with Sony Isolation tips fitted

The Y split has excellent cable relief, and an integrated cinch. The cinch works really well, and definitely helps remove any remaining microphonics. Like the T10i though, the apex of the Y-split sits just above my belly button (I’m 6 foot tall) which is really still far too low. The Y split is stainless steel, engraved with “designed by” and the signature of Lewis Heath (RHA’s Product Director) – a nice touch.

The cable terminates in a straight 3.5mm gold plated jack – with once again excellent strain relief. There is also the slight rubberised ring between the plug body and tip of the plug – which protects your device (and the plug) from metal on metal scratching, and also accommodates plugging into your average smartphone (with case attached). It works very well with my iPhone 5S.

So apart from the Y split length, the build quality and attention to detail is excellent.

FILTER SYSTEM

For tuning, RHA includes a 3 filter system on the T20 – bass (black), reference (white/silver) and treble (amber/gold). The filters are very easy to swap in and out – utilising a simple screw in thread. They have a rubber washer to ensure a secure fit.

RHA3filters.png

In a departure from the original T10i I previously reviewed, this time the filters change the frequencies primarily between 2.5 – 10.0 kHz. So instead of changing the bass (which actually remains pretty constant throughout), they raise or lower the mid-range and lower treble (see graph).

This actually works pretty well – far better than the original T10i – but the one thing I’ve found with the T20 is that they have stuck to RHA’s “signature” with a more robust bottom end. As a result, their reference filter is once again a little too warm for strictly reference sound (IMO) but I do find it a lot more palatable than the T10i. My preference would be the treble filter (as the most neutral of the three).

t2014.jpg

Looking inside each filter, both the reference and bass filters appear to have acoustic foam or dampening material. The treble filter has none.

FIT / COMFORT / ISOLATION

I have one ear canal slightly different to the other one (my right is very slightly smaller) - so I tend to find that usually single silicon flanges don't fit overly well. I initially tried the included large silicone tips, and whilst they fit OK, I was unable to maintain a constant seal.

I did try the T20 with a variety of aftermarket tips including the Ostry tuning tips, Spinfits, Spiraldots and Comply S series sports foams. All fit brilliantly – but for the review I stuck to my tried and true (Sony Isolation tips). They fit perfectly with a brilliant seal, and great comfort. The angle of the nozzle and design of the housing create the perfect angle for my ears, and I could (and have) used these for hours at a time. Despite their weight, they remain one of the most ergonomically well designed housings I’ve used. I’ve included a photo of my daughter wearing the T10i from last review – the shells have the same dimensions – and she thought they were “pretty comfortable”.

t2023.jpg t2024.jpg

T20 with Spin-fits and Ostry tuning tips

Spriral dots and Comply S foam tips

Emma showing how comfortable the fit is.

Isolation with the T20 is better than average for me (not quite near Shure’s or Alclair’s almost perfect isolation – but very effective), and they would be good enough for public transport (despite the vent). Because of their flat profile (when worn they do not extend past my ear), I would have no issues at all relaxing or sleeping with the T20.

There is no driver flex present.

SOUND QUALITY

The following is what I hear from the RHA T20. YMMV – and probably will – as my tastes are likely different to yours (read the preamble I gave earlier for a baseline). Most of the testing at this point (unless otherwise stated) was done with my Fiio X5ii.

t2026.jpg

Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and most can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.

Thoughts on Default Signature
    When I first reviewed the T10i, I found them bassy and fatiguing, and at the time asked RHA for a more reference sounding IEM. They’ve definitely listened – and the T20 (whilst still having RHA’s signature warmth and thump) this time has a clear and detailed top end.

It’s still probably a little bassy for my tastes, and is quite V shaped in signature, but it’s a sonic combination which lends itself well to a variety of genres, and for those who struggled with the T10i, you may find the T20 to be a very pleasant change.

For the review – I’ve stuck with the reference filter.

Overall Detail / Clarity
    For this I always use both Steely Dan’s “Gaucho” and Dire Strait’s “Sultans of Swing” as there is a lot of micro detail in both tracks, and the recording quality for both is excellent.

The T20’s detail retrieval is very good on both tracks. The sax intro on Gaucho has enough tone to be both natural sounding and pretty smooth. The bass guitar might be slightly more emphasised than I’d personally like, but it’s not overpowering everything, and there is plenty of detail coming through with cymbal and hi-hat.

Sultans of Swing is more of the same, dynamic and fast. The bass guitar is there but not overblown, and more importantly there is some excellent detail coming through with cymbals and the click of drum sticks. Knopfler’s guitar has good edge, and his vocals have good contrasting tonality.

Sound-stage & Imaging
    Next up is Amber Rubarth’s binaural recording “Tundra”. It’s usually difficult to get a reasonable stage size from an inner ear monitor. The stage is often quite small / close – with an average impression of space. The T20 has an intimate stage with this track – maybe just at the perimeter of my head. Imaging is very good and very consistent though. I have a very clear idea of where everything sits.

Switching to “Dante’s Prayer” and the T20 again was very good. It captured Loreena’s vocals really well – and the whole performance was intimate but enjoyable. In this track, the applause at the end is so well presented that with some headphones (HD600) I can actually close my eyes and imagine myself in the crowd. With the T20, I was getting some immersion – so a nice display of width and depth.

Last was Amanda Marshall’s “Let It Rain” – and this track is a good one because it has a naturally holographic feel about it, and can convey an amazing sense of space with the right headphones. That holographic quality shone through with the T20 (it really is good with female vocals)!

Bass Quantity and Quality
    Muddy Waters is a track I use to evaluate bass quality. This blues rock track is quite dark and brooding anyway, and usually exposes any muddiness or bass bleed. The T20 was really good with this track – visceral impact in the lower bass, and also conveys the timbre and gravel of Mark’s voice with aplomb. I was expecting a little bass bleed with the slightly enhanced base quality – but I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the bass is with this track.

Next to see how low the bass would go – so I switched to Lorde’s “Royals” – and once again the T20 delivered right from the opening notes. When the bass guitar kicked in, the low bass was copious, and this time there was a little excessive bloom into the mid-range. Ella’s vocals remained crystal clear though – and I can see this signature being quite popular with anyone liking a little more oomph. For me though – it’s a bit too much.

As this is an IEM that does have a bass emphasis, I wanted to try it with a little trance – so I switched to some AVB, and this time it hit the spot. Plenty of impact, and once again, a really nice vocal presence. I think any fan of this genre (or EDM) is going to quite like the T20.

Female Vocals
    A lot of my music revolves around female vocals – jazz, pop, rock, electronic, or even opera. I’m an unabashed fan. For me personally, the sign of a good IEM (for my personal tastes) is how successfully it conveys emotion and timbre with my female vocalists. My early litmus test is usually queuing Agnes Obel – as some of her recordings can become quite strident or shouty if the mids aren’t quite right. The T20 is not perfect with this track, displaying just a little hollowness in the beginning, but it got better as the track progressed,a nd the presentation of the cello was excellent.

So I ran through my usual medley of other tracks from artists including London Grammar, Angus & Julia Stone, Christina Perri, Gabriella Cilmi, Feist, Florence and the Machine, Lianne La Havas and Norah Jones. For the most part, the T20 was excellent, and my biggest complaint (for my tastes) was when the bass very occasionally had a little too much thump – but I know I could fix that simply by a little EQ.

Anything with true thump (Feist / FaTM) was definitely very dynamic – and actually pretty enjoyable in small sessions. All in all, the T20 handles female vocals pretty well.

Male Vocals
    Switching to Male vocalists meant delving into my rock and grunge genres. I kicked off with 3 Doors Down, and then moved onto some Alter Bridge, Eagles and even a bit of Seether (accoustic). The T20 does seem to nail rock really well. The first noticeable thing is the combo of guitar and drum – the T20 brings great dynamics to play with rock tracks. The second noticeable thing is the improved clarity, and what it brings to guitar crunch and cymbals in particular. Male vocals have good texture and tone – and whilst not as full as something like the DN2000 – very enjoyable.

The T20 has everything really good rock needs – very good speed, clarity and timbre, good bass impact (again sometimes just a little on the heavy side), and the ability to contrast really well. Acoustic rock is also a standout (Lofgrens’ “Keith Don’t Go” and Eagle’s “Hotel California” were both phenomenal).

Time again for my usual litmus test – Pearl Jam. Vedder’s voice is good with the T20 – nice timbre and tonality. Not noticeably thin. Cymbals in particular are rendered very well, as is the snare. It’s not the best I’ve heard – but it is up there. I could happily listen to the T20 for ages with PJ.

Other Genre Specific Notes
    Rather than go into details on genre, I’ll simply cover each with a few sentences.

I’ve already covered Rock and derivatives. Alt-Rock (Floyd and Porcupine Tree) was very good on detail. Sometimes the bass guitar tended to dominate – but a touch of EQ would easily tame this.

Jazz, Blues and Bluegrass were all very good with the T20. The added detail really helps, especially with both cymbals and also brass. Stringed instruments also benefit from the added clarity. The bass is very good with double bass – good timbre and tone.

Rap, EDM and Pop are very dynamic and I have little doubt that bass lovers will enjoy the T20. It’s not over the top – but is very present. For my own tastes, I once again find the mid and low bass sometimes just a little too present – but once again easy to EQ.

Classical and Opera were also surprisingly good, and I guess this once again where the extra top-end really helps. Because a lot of this music is not bass dominant, the overall presentation is really enjoyable – particularly string quartets, solo violin. Cello is also very well presented, and Zoe Keating’s recordings are sublime with the T20.

I also own a lot of Indie music and the T20 was really good with this. Bass was a little too much for me with Wildlight, but Band of Horses was just brilliant. Add the presentation of female vocalists as well, and the T20 was really hitting the right spots.

AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

The T20 is easily powered straight out of the portable devices I have, and I haven’t experienced any issues with the iPhone 5S, or from any of the Fiio’s. With typical pop/rock songs on the iP5S I’m usually at a volume level of around 30-40% (depending on the dynamics of the track). I did try amplifying the T20 with the E11K and E17K (and even the iDSD), but noticed no major improvements outside added volume. So far I’ve had no issues with hiss.

EQUALISATION

I only used this sparingly, and it was mainly because the filters change the upper end rather than the lower end. For me it just involved a cut in bass from around 125 Hz down. This just had the bass behaving a little more for my own tastes, and really did “complete” the T20. They respond to EQ well.

COMPARISONS

I’ll make these very quick. I compared the T20 side by side with some of the other IEMs I have in similar price brackets. With the comparisons, I first volume matched with a 1 kHz test tone and SPL meter. I had a fast switch set-up in place with a splitter and volume attenuator for the volume matching. This section is very subjective, as it is sighted, the change between IEMs took about 5-10 seconds, and I knew exactly which one I was listening to. But it is my honest thoughts on where the T20 sits for my own personal tastes.

t20vd2kvatone.png t2028.jpg

Frequency graph

DN2K, Altone 200 and RHA T20

RHA T20 vs Altone 200
    Build quality goes to the T20, although both are built exceptionally well. Fit and comfort are pretty even – different styles, but I find both very comfortable. I prefer the Altone’s thinner cable. Sonically the Altone is a little thinner and a little brighter through the mid-range. They both sound similar though with a definite V shape. T20 has more bass impact. My preference = T20

RHA T20 vs DUNU DN2K
    Again although both are built exceptionally well, the T20 gets the nod on overall build. This time the T20 is definitely the more comfortable fit, and once again I prefer DUNUs cable to RHA’s. Sonically these are very different with the DUNU being more balanced overall, a lot warmer, and a lot thicker in note tone. The RHA is a little more pronounced in vocals (particularly female). To me the T20 has more overall bass dynamic impact, but the DUNU has more comparative quantity. My preference = T20

t20v2kjvdelta.png t2027.jpg

Frequency graph

Trinity Delta, DN2KJ and RHA T20

RHA T20 vs Trinity Delta
    Interesting match up. Build quality is fairly even – but the T20 would be more robust. The Delta has the far better cable (it’s not close), and the filters on the Delta I think are better tuned in the changes they bring (over whole frequency range). Both are extremely comfortable to wear long term – but the Delta is slightly easier to fit, and the T20 slightly more comfortable. Sonically the two are similar but the Delta is a little smoother and more balanced while the T20 is a little more V shaped. The T20 has a little more edge in upper mid-range. Both have plenty of thump down low. If anything I quite like the T20’s low bass emphasis over the Delta’s more mid-bass slant. If I switch to the bass filter on the Delta it actually comes pretty close the to the T20 signature. My preference = Delta

RHA T20 vs DUNU DN2KJ
    Both are built exceptionally well, but once again the T20 gets the nod on overall build. The T20 is also the more comfortable fit, but once again I prefer DUNUs cable to RHA’s. Sonically these are quite different with the DUNU being a lot more balanced, a touch weightier through the vocal range, and also a little brighter. The T20 has a lot more bass, but the DUNU has more quality of bass presentation. My preference = DN2KJ

RHA T20 - SUMMARY

I was rather a vocal critic of the original T10i, and one of the things I (and others) asked of RHA was a more balanced IEM with similar build but more emphasis on clarity, and a little less on bass. RHA have responded with a pretty well tuned IEM, and I think a lot of people will like these.

Like its predecessor, the T20 has phenomenal build, a nicely ergonomic shell (great comfort for me personally), and comes with an exceptional accessory pack. The filter system on the T20 this time nets some changes in the upper mid-range, and lower treble – but sadly don’t change the bass very much, which is a pity as that is the one area I would love to shave a few dB from.

Like the T10i, the T20 does carry quite a bit of bass – but this is less warm, more controlled, and does not dominate like its sibling.

The T20 will appeal to lovers of a V shaped signature, and particularly those who like a nice thump with their music. Personally it’s still not tuned to my overall preferences, but I am very impressed with how far they have come.

At around $240 on Amazon, the T20 represents good value – especially when you combine sonics, build and accessories. I would recommend them as long as potential owners are aware of their bass output.

Once again thanks to RHA and David for including me as part of the tour.

RECOMMENDATIONS TO RHA

Firstly, thanks for allowing us the chance to sample your products. I really appreciate it. I think the cable needs some work. Just a little more flexibility (and a little less bulk) would really help. And I’d really like to see a filter system that allows tuning of the bass. Bravo on the improvements so far though.

t2025.jpg
      McSchnauze, 7keys, Tobias89 and 2 others like this.
    2. frustin
      good review. thanks for writing it.
      frustin, Apr 18, 2016
    3. JVK1
      @Brooko Hello,
      First thanks for the review.
      I'm about to buy new earphones. I hoped that maybe you could help and that would be highly appreciated.
      My previous ones were beyerdynamics dx 160. I would like to buy new ones since i'm through a second pair of 160's due to cable issues...  Im thinking between the RHA t20's and Shure 425's.
      I listen 80% of my music with iPhone 6 plus using Spotify. Haven't thought of having an amp.
      I listen to all kinds of music from James Brown to Cro-mags and from Brian Eno to Jethro Tull.
      I like that there is bass present. on dx 160's the bass kick is nice but it's quite muddy and empowering. So what i'm after is nice sharp bass that doesn't cover everything under it.
      I don't have the chance to test Shure's and RHA's back to back since we don't have reseller that stocks both.
      Which would you prefer as first "proper" IEM? I have tried the RHA's and since in wearing glasses the cord was bit chunky but I could live that.
      My biggest concern is the bass in both of the models does it have enough kick for my taste. And also I wonder the Shures build quality against the RHA (plastic vs. metal). Also what 1-2 two songs would you recommend to test these products? Thank you very much in advance.
      Best,
      Jan
      JVK1, Feb 22, 2017
    4. Brooko
      Hi Jan
      Don't worry about the build on the Shures - it is very good.  The Shures are more neutral or balanced overall, where the T20 is more of a V shape -(enhanced bass and lower treble), so it really depends on your preferences.  Another too look at - which i think would suit you pretty well (and is about the same price) is the Alclair Curve.  It is a wonderful IEM.  I still listen to mine regularly - despite having much more expensive options at my disposal.
      Brooko, Feb 26, 2017
  7. vaibhavp
    Great Package
    Written by vaibhavp
    Published Aug 8, 2015
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Stunning build quality, attention to detail, tuning filters for easy system matching
    Cons - if you only value sound quality, there are cheaper options that sound as good
    Disclaimer

I would like to thank www.headphonezone.in for review sample. I got to listen to it for just under a week, free of charge. I will try my best to give as unbiased review as possible.

Packaging and accessories:

Packaging if iem is very high quality. It showcases included accessories very well and makes a great first impression. Literature printed on it is interesting and shows cut out view of iems which is cool. Accessories include everything you might want. A large semi hard carry case is including that holds iems comfortably. Tons of tips are included and chances are you will get a good fit. I found my personal tips to be a little difficult to use as they come out easily. Included tips have good grip on iem nozzles and dont come out as easily. Apart from these, tuning filters, bass, treble and reference which screw on earpiece nozzle are included. I will talk about these in sound section.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Build:

This is highlight of this iem. Beautiful steel housing looks as good in real life as in photos. Left and right earpieces has small red and blue plastic inserts, tuning filters have beautiful patterns engraved, cable is rubbery and thick. Strain relief on headphone jack is a long spring which is very effective.

Overall its a luxuriously build IEM and is its one of best aspects.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

These come with 3 filters to tune sound to your liking. With reference filters, sound is a bit warm, lacking a little treble. Bass is not very tight or detailed but impact is adequate. I did not enjoyed it much on reference filter. So I switched to bass filter. Here it keeps everything same, only bass becomes more present, detailed and a bit more extended. Not bass head by any means, but clearly bass improves a lot in quality. With my fiio x5 classic, bass sounded textured but it was a bit slower sounding apparently cause of additional warmth. I preferred this filter with my brighter amp, but still treble was a bit rolled off for my liking. Upon switching to treble filter, it was much better. It keeps rest of sound same as reference filter, just gives a bit energy up top. This filter I found to be best to my liking. To improve it further I changed tips to my personal double flanged rubber that resulted in even better treble extension.

So my point is, it offers tons of options to do system matching, which is a good thing as you can use it with virtually any amp and get a good synergy by little mixing and matching.

So for listening I settled down of Audinst HUD mini, treble filter, and double flanged rubber tips. So I made it as treble happy as was possible with my equipment, as its quantity was less than what I prefer. With this setup, sound was smooth, easy to listen to. Still did not had too much shine or shimmer. Bass is also a bit rolled off in deepest regions. Mids were a little warm. Vocals and mids were engaging and enjoyable. It tends to blend instruments a little than crisp separation and sounds coherent.

Comfort and isolation:

These are meant to be used over ear and come with ear guides. I found it a bit hard to use my personal tips as they tend to come out easily. None the less, included tips are plenty and you will probably find a good seal. Once I got used to them, comfort was above average. Isolation was average, not too good but acceptable.

Comparing to Hifiman RE400, I found these to be a little better. But they are under $80. So sound quality to value ratio is not the best out there. I do think sound wise, you can do better with a bit cheaper options. However if you value build quality, attention to detail, accessories and overall package, then its a more level playing field. These are hands down best made iems i have used.
      raghavsomani likes this.
    2. ShreyasMax
      Hi Vaibhav, good review; your preferences on the sound, quite in contrast to mine, probably indicate how important the inclusion of the sound filters is in the whole RHA package, as it can potentially cater to a wider audience than would be possible with a single sound tuning. IMO.
      ShreyasMax, Aug 9, 2015
    3. getclikinagas
      Nice review Vaibhav
      getclikinagas, Aug 18, 2015
    4. vaibhavp
      Thanks
      vaibhavp, Aug 18, 2015
  8. dweaver
    Take 2 on an impeccably designed IEM with a decidely more audiophile tuned sound and technically improved driver
    Written by dweaver
    Published Aug 3, 2015
    Pros - Wonderfully made IEM that is comfortable and built like a tank. Well balanced signature that addresses the audiophile concerns of it's predecessor.
    Cons - For those that loved the T10 bass the T20 will feel a bit bass lite. There is a peak in the lower treble that makes this IEM slightly fatiguing for me
    First off I want to apologize for taking so long to get this review put together. Circumstances and family responsibility have conspired against me this year in regards to being able put together a review when I wanted to. But I wanted to make sure I gave the T20 the proper effort as it is a worthy IEM that deserves that. I would also like to thank RHA for sending me their latest flagship IEM.

OK enough fluff and excuses lets get to it [​IMG].

Last year when I wrote my T10 review I suggested that RHA had created the perfect Pizza but that it wasn't my flavor. At the end of my review I asked them to make a new flavor. Now, I have no illusions that the T20 was because of my request because I think that RHA was already thinking past the T10 but I think my and all of the other reviews and comments from Head-fi members gave RHA the feedback they needed to start working on the T20 because this IEM is CERTAINLY A DIFFERENT FLAVOR! If the T10 was an all meat then the T20 is a Deluxe Pizza. Unfortunately for me I ate to much meat Pizza last year so find this new pizza to be slightly to spicy for my tastes and slightly lacking the meat department. The good news is I think I will be in the minority in this regard [​IMG].

Starting with build quality as I compare the T10i and the T20 RHA has slightly tweaked and refined their already solid design. The memory wire has been slightly stiffened to help hit retain it's shape a but better but without sacrificing the original T10's comfort. The cable also appears to be very slightly thinner and the sleeve feels a bit less rubbery. The changes are very small but is nice to see that RHA is continuing to improve upon their physical design.

The second bigger change RHA has made is their driver technology. The T10 had a single dynamic driver while the T20 has a DualCoilTM Dynamic driver. The difference in this technology has allowed RHA to create a more technically proficient driver that offers a richer more detailed listening experience.

The accessory kit of the T20 is exaclty the same as the T10 model. Which is to say, VERY COMPLETE. RHA is one of the best manufactures out there when it comes to ensuring a person has everything they need to enjoy their products. The vast collection of tips are managed with a great easy to use organizer and the soft case houses everything a person needs easily. They also come with a good quality shirt clip. Overall I would rate the accessory kit of the T20 as a 5/5.

Isolation is pretty much exactly the same as the T10, it is not quite on the scale of an Etymotic or Shure IEM for passive isolation but it is close. So I give it a score of 4.5 in this area. While I am on the subject of sound (outside of the music) I think the micro phonics of this IEM are also above average and again deserve a score of 4.5 ot of 5.

Finally the T20 comes with the same filtering system as the T10. This allows a person to customize their sound to their preference at will. The even better news is the filter system seems to suite the T20 a bit better than the T10 as the T20 more balanced signature allows each filter to work as designed. For myself I found the neutral filter to work best as it allowed most of the bass and treble through without impacting the mid-range their is a slight V shape but it is very slight. The bass filter removes quite a bit of the midrange making the signature decidely V shaped. The treble filter removes quite a bit of the bass and lower mid-range giving an upper mid-range / treble oriented signature. For many the treble filter will be considered the most neutral especially if they come from IEM's like Etymotic or classic full size headphones like the AKG K/Q7xx line. For my testing I have settled on using the neutral filter as it suites my tastes best.

When it comes to sound, like last year I need to say again... TO HECK WITH WHAT I LIKE! I say this because I was introduced to a darker less upper mid-range and treble oriented sound with the T10 and continued to search for an IEM that reflected that type of signature which lead me me down a different path to meet my personal requirements. So when I got the T20 I had already become used to this new signature. But the T20 is pretty much exactly what I envisioned RHA making when I initially reviewed the T10. So I do believe the T20 will be enjoyed by a large segment of audiophile oriented music lovers.

In regards to which group that should avoid this IEM I would say if you really like a bass oriented experience the T20 will come up a bit short for you. Similarly if you struggle with any glare in the upper registers and ear fatigue you might find the T20 a bit to much for you as well. If you happen to like bass AND are treble sensitive you will find yourself turning up the volume to try and satisfy your bass love which then makes the treble even more problematic.

Bass - I found the bass of the T20 to be much less than the T10 verging on being a bit to polite for my tastes. Having said that the bass is tight and detailed. It seems to have slightly less sub bass which is the one area I miss the most. I rate the bass as a 3.5 for bass lovers, 4.5 for balanced signature lovers, and 4 for treble lovers. But this is one area where the filters can make more of a difference especially the treble filter which will make the bass more in line with an Etymotic type of sound for the treble lovers.

Mid-range - The midrange is more forward than the T10 with lots of wonderful detail and is decidedly less warm sounding. It is also more aggressive and edgy as compared to the T10. For most audiophile listeners the T20 offers the type of sound they want. Personally I wish is had a bit more warmth while maintaining the level of detail it has. I rate the mid-range as a solid 4 for my tastes and a 4.5 for balanced and treble lovers.

Treble - The treble of the T20 is a massive step up from the T10. Where the T10 erred so far on the side of caution as to be considered muddy by many Head-fi members the T20 is clear, detailed, edgy, and ever so slightly hot. Personally I find the slight peak in the lower treble a bit to much for my ears causing slight fatigue especially if turn up the volume.. But for most audiophile listeners I think this won't be an issue. In regards to sibilance I only noticed what was naturally occurring in an album and then it was never really harsh or annoying. I rate the treble as a 4 for my tastes, 4.5 for balanced lovers, and 5 for treble lovers.

My overall score based on my own preferences would be a 4, for balanced lovers and treble lovers 4.25 - 4.5
    1. pc27618349
      I've been keeping up with reviews for the T20 and am really interested - but the reviews for its isolation are mixed at best. Your review is the first one that rates it very high on isolation - can you elaborate more on how the isolation is? What noises can it attenuate when music is playing or no music is playing?
      pc27618349, Aug 4, 2015
    2. Takeanidea
      I think the isolation is top notch . My demo pair blocked out almost all outside noise and they didn't need to be turned up very loud at all.
      This is another great review . Thanks!
      Takeanidea, Sep 10, 2015
  9. ShreyasMax
    Brilliant. Other flagships beware.
    Written by ShreyasMax
    Published Aug 2, 2015
    Pros - Clear Detailed Sound, Good Build, Sound Tuning Filters for adjustable sound signature
    Cons - Non-removable cable
    The joys of reviewing a favorite product have eluded yours truly, until the T20 from RHA (Reid & Heath Acoustics) came along, supplied for review by my good friends at Headphone Zone (headphonezone.in), a specialist headphone and portable audio products retailer. ​

​

I'm not professionally affiliated with them in any way, and this is my honest opinion on the product. Add to this the fact that this is my first review, sure does make things interesting. So do read on, for some impressions on the new flagship IEM from RHA, ol-rite!  ​

Background > ​

​

Terribly sorry for the hastily attempted Scottish accent above, I say; let me get a move on now, what. Right, I'm a 30 year old music lover hailing from the state of Kerala, India, also known as 'God's own country'. The state, or for that matter, the country itself, doesn't seem to attract high end headphones that much though, mainly due to the lack of awareness among the general public of their very existence in the first place, I would say. Only recently have a few retailers and even fewer specialist e-tailers opened up here catering to this segment of the headphone and portable audio market, and a few handful brands have been able to gain loyal followings among the audio quality loving music enthusiasts around.  ​

​

My own personal encounter with good sounding headphones has been fairly recent; 2008 onwards, to be precise. A very good friend of mine (who also likes his music to sound as good as possible, and introduced yours truly to the world of digitally created music which i dabbled with briefly while at college, to no avail though, as expected) told me one fine day, "Hey, you've just got to listen to this headphone. There's this German brand called Sennheiser..". The headphone in question happened to be the humble MX-170 earbud, which, isn't a great sounding earphone by any means as per today's standards. But the shift from my previous Creative ear buds to this earbud from Sennheiser was so dramatic at the time that there was just no way I couldn't get more of this German specialist headphone brand. The rest of the journey, of course, is probably true for many young chaps today as well. A few IEMs and headphones (closed and open, on and around the ear) later, here I am with my hands (and ears) on the flagship IEM from a specialist Scottish company within its first month of release. Life is good, I say.  ​

Gear Used > ​

​

For this review, I've used my own gear as the music source, and considering that an IEM would be mainly used as a portable or semi portable solution, my source setup has been the FiiO X3 (1st Gen.) connected to the FiiO E12A through line out using the FiiO L16 interconnect.​

WP_20150705_014.jpg

Build and Fit > ​

​

The build and fit of the T20 will be familiar to those who own the T10/ T10i, RHA's previous flagship models, as the build is exactly the same; all the changes have happened internally, barring the one obvious change of color of the over ear hooks which are now black, as opposed to grey / silver on the T10/ T10i.  ​

WP_20150728_001.jpg WP_20150728_002.jpg

​

The build quality, in one word, is excellent in my opinion. The housings, connector, y-split are all made of stainless steel, and there's good strain relief on the jack. The over ear hooks on the cable are a patent pending mouldable design, which is very good indeed. The included range of tips, silicone or foam, ensure that you get a good fit and seal off the outside noise very effectively. My minor gripe would be on the fit, especially related to the over ear parts, which seem to need moulding every time you put on the headphones, or else they seem loose on top of the ears. YMMV though. And apart from this, I'd give full marks to the build and fit of the T20, not least because of the 3 year warranty (yes, 3 years). That's just brilliant IMO.  ​

Accessories - Tuning Filters > ​

​

The retail box comes with a soft touch carry case, a whole range of ear tips fit nicely into a stainless steel holder, and the USP, sound tuning filters in their own stainless steel holder, with space for two pairs on the holder, to ensure one pair is always installed onto the earphones. These filters are for bass, treble and neutral (called 'reference') respectively.  ​

They are to be screwed onto the nozzles by hand. Very nice.  ​

​

The tip holder is a nice touch, although nowadays this has come to be expected as budget Chinese brands are even offering foam cut little boxes just for holding ear tips; Vsonic, for example.  ​

​

The carry case looks premium indeed, and I personally prefer this slightly larger case to a more compact case, like the one for my Havi B3 Pro for example, mainly because I just prefer it's look better. Your opinion could vary on that though.  ​

Sound >

​

Alright then, lets move on to the most important part; the sounnnnnd! Sorry, the sound. Do please forgive my excitement.  ​

​

Most of my listening has been done using the Reference filter, and as with any new headphone, a burn in time was required to get familiarized to the sound signature. I do not have much of an idea about burning in for the drivers, and this being a review unit, has been used for a good duration of time before it reached yours truly.  ​

​

Once I got used to the sound though, it was good. Very good. With a Capital G. It instantly outclassed my current gear, except for my HD558 open full-sized headphones, which I've been using at home for the past 3 years.  ​

​

I am not an expert at describing sound technically, but from whatever I've heard so far, I believe the soundstage is wide, which I prefer. I have not yet learned to distinguish good soundstage depth, and so I shan't venture there. In comparison to my Havi B3 Pro1, which are no mugs themselves, I felt that a blanket had been lifted off the Havis when I put on the T20. The detail retrieval and instrument separation are very good. They are highly efficient earphones, and a turn to about 1/3rd of the volume knob on my E12A was enough to deliver powerful clear sound to my hungry ears. Since I do not have experience with top of the line universal fit IEMs or custom fit IEMs, I would not be able to do that comparison here. I sure wish I could, though, especially with the top end dynamic driver models like the highly regarded AKG K3003, or the IE800 etc.  ​

​

Anyway, suffice to say that clear, detailed, rich and highly resolving were the terms that came to mind upon getting used to the sound signature of the T20. I did feel though that the midrange was ever so slightly recessed, but maybe that's just my impression because I've not been able to fathom till now what true, neutral sound actually sounds like. So, it could be that my 'ideal' midrange level was slightly more forward than that offered by the T20. Ymmv again.  ​

Treble Filter > ​

​

A brief listen using the treble filter was enough to judge that it wasn't my ideal preference because my main genre preferences are rock, folk, acoustic, progressive etc. But those who do prefer their treble to be slightly enhanced, without becoming harsh, would definitely prefer this one on. I guess electronic and classical music lovers might like this filter more. I'm not sure though, as I very rarely listen to these genres. ​

Bass Filter > ​

​

The bass filter would be instantly appealing to tracks which rely on heavy basslines, drums, percussion and I guess electronic, hip hop, and heavy metal music in general.  ​

​

I used the bass filters for some tracks which benefitted with a bigger bass impact, especially tracks like Hatesong by Porcupine Tree, which is a mid tempo bass line and kick drums driven track, with the bass guitar prominently used throughout the song.  ​

​

On the other hand, when the bass filter was used for tracks which didn't require bass enhancement or didn't improve the sound using enhanced bass, the overall output felt a little muddied. The tightness of the bass response while using the reference filters was traded off for a more enhanced but less refined one when listening to folk, rock, acoustic and even some metal tracks.

Overall, the reference filter was the preferred pair, for my tastes at least.

Summary >

RHA have ventured up the price ladder with their new flagship, and I feel they're on the right track. I haven't been able to listen to their first flagship, the MA750, which I was looking to purchase at one point, but settled for the Havi B3Pro1 instead, and the MA750 was the model that got RHA the fame they deserve, in my opinion.

Now would the T20 be recommended by myself? Whole heartedly. Is it the best price/ performance value out there in this price range? Yes it probably is. The sound tuning filters sure add a whole lot to this department as it can cater to a whole range of consumers, be it the big bass loving, or the slightly treble inclined individuals, there's a filter for that. The sound signature, apart from being 'rich' and not dry at all, is fairly uncolored in my opinion.

So that's it, folks, thanks for reading through this hastily written first timer's review. Would appreciate your thoughts, suggestions et al.

So while I reluctantly prepare to bid farewell to the review unit, here's wishing you fine folks some happy listening!

WP_20150802_001.jpg

Thanks & Cheers
    2. raghavsomani
      This is such a fantastic review! A pleasure to read...
      raghavsomani, Aug 8, 2015
    3. ShreyasMax
      Thanks, Raghav! Glad you liked it.
      ShreyasMax, Aug 8, 2015
    4. getclikinagas
      getclikinagas, Aug 12, 2015
  10. Wyd4
    Built Like a tank - Fits in your Ears
    Written by Wyd4
    Published Jul 29, 2015
    Pros - Amazing Build, Bass impact, Overall tuning is very enjoyable and non fatigueing
    Cons - Ear Pieces are heavy, Lack of refinement throughout, Price(Subjective)
    First things first:

I would like to thank Lin and RHA for the opportunity to test these IEMs and provide my honest opinion of them in return.  It really is great that this community allows this kind of interaction with manufacturers.

Secondly:

We all hear things differently, one of the curses and beauties of this hobby.  There is so much variation in gear, hearing, preference that it truly is a dynamic hobby.  I refer to this again throughout this review but please make sure if you are looking to buy these, that you read as many reviews as you can.

I am 31 years old and I am a noob when it comes to audiophilism.  I love music, I know what sound I like and I spend hours and hours every day listening.  I am not a reviewer, I am not an “Audiophile”, I have just loved music since I was 5 years old, sitting in front of my fathers Stereo listening to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Johnny Rivers on vinyl for hours on end.

Now for the poorly written slab of dribble that is my attempted review.

Build Quality:

These things are built like a brick … House.  They are rock solid.  They feel as though they are punched from a solid piece of billet and slapped on a pair of chains.  I was expecting good things in the build department and I was not disappointed.
    They are heavy, bold and cold to touch.  All of which I love!
    While the weight seems a little odd initially, once you get used to the ‘lil billets nestling into the old cauliflowers they soon enough fade away, only occasionally to be reminded by the occasional tug on the cable.
    The cable is thick and heavy in its own right, which I personally do not usually like in a portable unit.  That being said, the ergonomics are quite good, and given it is not detachable, it is comfortingly sturdy.  I had no real issues with microphonics or other such interference to my musical enjoyment.

Accessories:

Why I am glad you asked, because we have a treat for you!! Oh, you didn’t ask, well let me tell you anyway.
    We have the pair of iems in all of their glory.  Spread out like some majestic phoenix for all to see.
    We have the 6 filters (2 installed, 4 in their aluminium containment device).
    We have regular silicon tips in all number of sizes, we have bi-Flange, Tri-Flange and foams.  All neatly laid out within their aluminium card designed to seemingly both display proudly and functionally detail more tips than anyone will ever carry.  Handy none the less.

In addition to above we also have a nifty faux? Leather carry case.  This is a good size and allows you to store the iems without having to crush them in order to fit them.  This is a nice change in comparison to the hard case that comes with the Aurisonics AS2.5 for example, which one might think from a glance is the better option give its hardshell nature, however it is actually too small and causes many a headache in aligning the IEMs so as not to damage them when closing the vessel.

Another nice feature of this case is there are elastic straps within which allow you to nest the Tip card within the case.  While this is nice, to be honest, once I find a pair of tips that work with a pair of IEM’s I tend to only use the one and MAYBE keep a spare pair on hand.  I would have much preferred to see the ability to store the filters in the case, as I am more likely to roll these pending my mood.

Regarding the sound I will give a brief overview of my thoughts, then break it down into various sections to try elaborate.

First things first, I wasn’t a huge fan of these IEM’s from a sound perspective.  Which was quite a disappointment given how excited I was upon opening them and seeing them in all their bling glory.  I found that the overall signature lacked a little finesse or refinement.  Just seemed a little rough around the edges.  I found that the details seemed a little glossed over, and while the overall sound was smooth, somehow it gave me the feeling of harshness.  This was something I couldn’t work out, but something I was definitely hearing.  Now I may have been being overly critical of this IEM, as I was comparing it to my Ref1too and ASG2.5, so it may not be a fair comparison, however I my overall comments here are relative to an IEM in its pricepoint.  I have owned many IEMs and headphones from varying price points and my rating and comments will hopefully reflect that of a $300 IEM.

One last thing before I dive into the sound breakdown, I am an unashamed basshead.   OK, so now that I have come clean, lets move on.

I tried all 3 filters and obviously my go to was the Bass filter first.
    I felt that this filter’s perceived effect on bass come at the cost of too much detail and refinement loss from the rest of the signature.  I truly thought I would pop this filter in and be done, but sadly no.

The Treble filter while adding more perceived detail up top I found to be a little too bright for my tastes.  However this is the point of this filter so I will not say whether this is a good thing or bad.

The reference filter I found to be the best match for me.  While I still maintain my above comments regarding the overall signature, this was my favourite tuning.  When needing more bass I used the bass boost feature on the Cayin C5D, however in most cases I just left it off.

Ok so onto that sound breakdown I promised.

BASS:

This little IEM is packing heat.  Is it a basshead iem, I am not sure.  When compared to my Ref1 and ASG2.5, it almost sounds bass light with regard to impact.  However I think this is due to it having less bass emphasis while being tuned and having a driver capable of big bass impact on demand, because on tracks like “Georgio” on Daft Punks RAM album, WOW there is some bass.  In fact I found the bass on these IEM’s to react quite well to Electronic bass, giving big impact and moving quite a lot of air, however on kick drums on say Monuments – Horcrux, the impact just wasn’t there.  Bass extension is overall pretty good too, with soundtracks like Man of Steel maintaining that super low bassline.  Nothing tectonic, but certainly better than many IEM’s I have tried.
    The good news is, on the T20, the bass is certainly far more controlled than its younger sibling.  So if that was an issue for you, these are certainly headed in the right direction.

MIDS:

I think this is where my main issue with this IEM resides.  To me the mids, while sitting pretty much in line with the rest of the spectrum, seem to be glossed/smoothed over.  This to me made things like guitar (both electric and acoustic), vocals and even to an extent some upper basslines to sound congested and to be honest a mess.  While I liked overall where the mids sat in the mix as in they were neither too far forward or back, I think this is where I got the impression of harshness.  Yes the sound is smooth, but it sounds as though the guitars, vocals and all other instruments residing in the midrange were all fighting for their spot and things just get messy.
    Others have reported fantastic midrange separation, so this could have been an issue with the C5d/T20 combination, which I used exclusively, or that I simply prefer a different tuning.  People have reported taking issue with the Midrange of the Tralucent ref1, which I loved personally, so as always, make sure you read all reviews before making your decision if you are looking to buy these J

TREBLE:

The highs are smooth.  Much like the mids, but I think they are a little better executed.  I don’t get the sense of congestion or harshness from the highs.  There is enough data presented for the sound to be enjoyable and inoffensive, but these are not a detail monster.  If not for the midrange I think I could listen to these for days on end with zero fatigue.  While I prefer a little more detail in the upper registers, I do like the way they were presented.  I would say they are slightly shelved down from the rest of the presentation, but only slightly.

SOUNDSTAGE/SEPARATION:
    The soundstage while not huge, does portray decent width and depth for an IEM.  I think the dynamic drive assists in this to an extent.  However the above average soundstage at this price point is let down by the congested signature.  On very basic passages where the drivers were able to keep up, I was rewarded with a very realistic soundscape and able to pinpoint instruments throughout, however even on a song like Damien Rice – Cannonball, I did not get beyond the intro before things started to get messy.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

I think that there are a lot of positives with the t20’s.  Especially coming from the t10 to the t20.  The bass is much better controlled and refined.  I think the overall sound is quite pleasant with a slightly emphasized bass, balanced midrange and slightly less emphasized top end.  I just wish they were a bit more coherent through the midrange to avoid that congestion, or in technical terms “SHMOOSHING” of sound.

Would I buy them.  No.  I think they are just a little bit overpriced for the sound quality.  If I were paying for build quality and included accessories then yes, they have it in spades, but ultimately, I am not buying them as a fashion item.  I think if they were around the $200 aud mark I would definitely snap them up.

While this is probably an overall negative review, one point I would like to make is these are a definite step in the right direction for RHA and if I were me, I would be keeping a keen eye on the t30 IEM, because if they come forward as far as they have from the T10 to the T20, then the T30 will be a keeper!!!!

I am currently on the train tethered to my phone trying to jump in pending reception.  I will upload pics, apply formatting and generally tidy this up when I am home.