HiFiMan RE2000

Average User Rating:
4.2/5,
  1. WCDchee
    "A Vocal masterclass"
    Pros - Rich, musical and lush without compromising on technical ability
    Cons - Expensive, wider than deep
    Disclaimer: This unit was sent to me by hifiman for the purpose of this review. I am otherwise in no way related to Hifiman.

I’ve always been a huge fan of dynamic drivers. Anyone who has read some of my older reviews, or who knows me in person would quickly come to realise that. My first pair of high end earphones was a dynamic driver IEM, and till this day some of my favourite IEMs are dynamics. It’s not that BAs aren’t good, because they are in their own way, and many BA IEMs can more than hold their weight in a fight. There’s just something about a good dynamic that gives it a sense of realism and weight, something I’ve come to love.

My experience with Hifiman didn’t start off all too well. A few years ago, when I was looking for ‘cheap and good’ pair of earphones, the RE-400 was a name that commonly came up. I had a listen and while it did some things good for an earphone of that price, it just wasn’t my thing. I tried a couple of the older HE series headphones too, and again, they didn’t quite gel with me.

The turning point came when the HE-1000 was released. I remember the scepticism the market had towards the HE-1000. People complained about build quality issues, QC issues, people were sceptical about how good the HE-1000 wound sound. Naturally, I too had my doubts. It just so happened that the first time I heard it, I had the opportunity to hear it beside the Stax SR-009, and the moment I heard it, I knew that Hifiman was on to something. There was just something about the HE-1000, it ticked all the boxes for me. An organic, natural tone, an immense, well layered soundstage, incredible dynamics and transparency. On top of that it had this hugely authoritative and visceral presence, something that at that point I had yet to find in a headphone.

When the RE-2000 was announced, there was once again a lot of doubt on how good it could be. After all, everyone was taken aback by the price. The RE-2000 is not a cheap earphone. People questioned everything, from the sound to the build quality. Now here’s the thing. Very often, people do this thing where they question the quality of a product simply because of the price, before they’ve even seen or touched a product, or in this case, heard it. I won’t give away too much at this point, but I don’t think anyone who has paid for the RE-2000 will feel like they’ve burnt a whole through their wallet for a cheap, inferior product.

Packaging and accessories

The RE-2000 comes in a really luxurious packaging. Similar to many of the higher end Hifiman products, it comes in this large, solid chest with foam inserts on the inside. It’s a little on the big side, a little bulky, and possibly a tad over the top, but no one can complain that they aren’t getting a quality packaging befitting of a top end product.

The RE-2000 comes with a neat selection of double flanged to triple flanged tips. It’s not the widest selection, but they fit well, and sound good. They also come with comply foams as well as removable ear guides. I’m not a fan of complys so I generally avoid them. I also prefer using them without the ear hooks, but this is subjective.

The Earphones come inside a metal hifiman tin with a matt black finish. It’s a really nice casing that’s very thoughtfully designed, there are rubber/silicone inserts on the inside as well as a nylon fabric netting layer to ensure that the IEMs never come into contact with the bare metal surface, allowing one to use them without having to worry about the IEMs getting scuffed up.

hifiman 1.jpg hifiman.jpg

Build quality, ergonomics and design

Truth be told, I’m not the biggest fan of the looks of the RE-2000. I prefer the sleeker, more curvaceous design of the RE-800. The RE-2000 is a rather chunky design of black and gold with the Hifiman logo plastered over its faceplate.

Yet, it would be untrue to suggest that the RE-2000 isn’t extremely well built. The RE-2000 has smooth, clean cut edges, its brass housing giving a sense of solidness and weight, and coupled with the matt, gold plated finish, really gives that sense of quality you would come to expect from a top of the line product. While there might be many complaints about the build quality of the Hifiman headphones, I think most of us would be pretty satisfied with the RE-2000 in this regard.

The RE-2000 is a little on the chunky side. Personally, I don’t really have many issues with the fit. Despite its lego block like shape, the inner surface is curved very generously to give it a good, close fit for me. I know some people who have an issue with the chunky shape of the RE-2000, but i suspect that it should be good for most ears.

hifmiman 2.jpg

The Re-2000 has rather shallow fit. This means that while it is very comfortable, it’s not the best isolating earphone. Sure it’s not open like the Ocharaku’s or the Sony EX-1000, but isolation isn’t its strongest suit.

The cables are very supple above the Y split. Below the Y split however, the cable can be a tad on the stiffer side. That said, it’s very thick and durable, something I do find myself appreciating.

Sound quality

Now this is the part of the review that I usually skip to, so for all you readers out there that are only interested in the sound, this is the part you would want to read.

The RE-2000 is a very musical, lush earphone. It still lies in the range of what I would call a balanced sounding earphone, but it is otherwise smooth, rich, and all so alluring. Technically, it belongs among the very best of earphones. While it isn’t necessarily the most analytical earphone, it nevertheless remains an extremely resolving, transparent earphone.

The stage of the RE-2000 is presented very wide. Even among the flagship monitors I’ve heard, the RE-2000 has one of the wider soundstages. This creates a very nice sense of space. The stage is wider than is deep, and thus, despite the open stage, the RE-2000 has a very forward sound. This creates a very nice, intimate, yet open feel. Almost like having the singer singing right to you, all while having the different instruments thrown out across the space. That said, a forward sound isn’t a sound lacking in depth. Despite having a very forward placement of its sound, you can clearly hear how the space extends further back, and this allows for a very forward, yet well layered, non-congested sound.

The RE-2000 has a deep, thunderous, and accentuated bass. It has a very present, rumbling sub bass that really gives a deep presence to the music. In terms of the quality of the bass, it has a slight bloom to it. It isn’t the tightest, fastest bass you’ll hear. Instead, it has a slightly more relaxed feel to it. It often takes its time, yet slams hard and powerful when called for. Coupled with the fantastic sense of staging, it really adds to that sense of space, where the bass gradually permeates and fills the room. If you’re looking for something with an amazing sub bass rumble, the RE-2000 is an IEM that you must not miss.

For all its merit in the bass department, the midrange of the RE-2000 is where the real magic lies. Remember how I said it was lush and musical? Well the RE-2000’s midrange is that, yet so much more. Very often, lushness and richness comes at a cost, transparency and precision. With the RE-2000, despite the lushness and the richness in its midrange, it remains ever so transparent, resolving, and detailed. Vocal and instrumental textures are reproduced with ease, and the space around each and every sound is well demarcated. Remember how I mentioned the forward nature of the sound, especially the vocals? Well, combined with the richness in the midrange, the RE-2000 delivers a mouth-watering, delicious vocal presentation. It’s one of my go to IEMs for acoustic, vocal tracks.

The Upper registers of the RE-2000 is likely to be where it gets a little more polarising. The treble of the RE-2000 is supremely smooth and gentle. It’s well extended nonetheless, and will give you most of the sparkle that’s supposed to be there. The advantage is that on all but the most nasty, peaky recordings, the RE-2000 creates a very smooth, gentle, and enjoyable listening experience. The flip side of this is that the RE-2000 isn’t going to give you that incredible amount of air and pinpoint staging and precision you might expect in a reference tuned monitor. Anyone looking for that incredible amount of air or sparkle, the RE-2000 might not be so good for you.

This all comes together to create an IEM which I feel, has a very special place among the flagship monitors currently in the market. While there are other options for a rich and musical flagship IEM, none of them do it quite as artfully as the RE-2000. The RE-2000 has, despite its forward and lush character, a very relaxed, polite character to it. This creates an almost perfect sound signature for one to just sit back in a plush chair, relax, and enjoy the music.

As you probably can tell, the RE-2000 is an IEM with quite a strong character, and as such, it isn’t going to be for everyone, Anyone looking for a super agile, quick, dynamic sound, anyone looking for a reference tuning with ultra sharp pinpoint imaging and an unprecedented amount of upper end airiness, the RE-2000 wouldn’t cut it for you. The RE-2000 just isn’t designed to play in such a field. If, however, whatever I’ve previously described appears to be what you’re looking for in an IEM, then you must give the RE-2000 some serious consideration. After all, there is no IEM I’ve heard that does this musical, lush sound better to my ears, and I daresay that in that aspect, the RE-2000 is clearly ahead of the pack.
    Oscar-HiFi and B9Scrambler like this.
  2. tassardar
    "Master of Some: RE2000"
    Pros - Great Bass, Vocals, Defined Layering, Lightweight, Premium Box, Very good sibilance characteristic
    Cons - Treble not the most exciting, Sound Stage isn't as wide, Cables didn't feel as premium
    Master of Some: RE2000

Re2000.jpg

Thanks to AVOne and HIFMAN for the review set RE2000.

Summary:
    The RE2000 is a fantastic earphone, worthy of it's price tag and definitely a competent earphone of its price range. A little harder to drive, it benefits from amplification and delivers a unique vocal and lows experience. With a relatively wide soundstage and thick sound, it's really for those that enjoy vocals and tracks that's heavy on bass. The low sibilance nature is also a great choice for listeners of modern pop music.

The RE2000 is a dynamic driver IEM designed by HIFMAN. In recent years they really dabbled in many interesting things, and the RE2000 is definitely a new take on high end dynamic IEMs.

I had the RE2000 for approximately 3 weeks. Listened to them intensively for a week, put them down for one and pick it up again to ensure what I was hearing was not just a "new toy" effect.

Re2000 3.jpg

The first thing that blew me away is the packaging, luxury is the word for it. It looks great and really well presented. Opening up you get to see everything well placed and in a display worthy of its price tag.

Re2000 4.jpg

HIFIMan packed quite some items within the package, a pair of cables, a few tips and some spare connectors. On general, it came with the things you need to experience the earphone on the get go.

Even though the package was striking, I find the cable on the other hand lacked the same experience, really thin and felt a little cheap. A nice thin braided cable would have definitely been a better impression. The earpiece themselves are pretty decent. It comes in gold (not my fav color for IEM) and has a metal shell with a plastic side. Initially I felt it was rather cheap looking and because of its light weighted feeling, it really didnt carry the premium feel for a metal build earphone. I did appreciate it later as the fit was great and it doesnt pop out due to its own weight.

Now we reach the more important part of the review: Sound Quality!

Re2000 1.jpg

For this review the following items were used:

Player:

Nier Automata Sound Track
    Final Fantasy Distant Worlds
    Adele 25
    Suara DSD Series of Special Recordings

The RE2000 benefits from amplication. Running is straight off either player without an amp really didnt do it justice. Plugging it into the HugoTT really improved it, with great emphasis on its strong points as written above in my summary.

The RE2000 from the get GO has a really interesting rendition of vocals. Its separated, focused, thick (in relation to KSE1500). This made it a total hit with female vocals that carry power such as Adele. In comparison with the KSE1500, its not as airy and light, which in my opinion wont be as good for Japanese Female vocals and its apparent in tracks such as powder snow by Suara. Overall though, it's a matter of preference but for most that appreciate vocals and have a decent amplifier, the RE2000 may actually be slightly better.

On initial listening, what captured my attention upfront is the bass. It goes deeper and slams harder then the KSE1500. It may not have the same tightness as the KSE1500, but I will say in this case, it's definitely better than the KSE1500 if you appreciate bass on any level. The best part of the RE2000 is that the bass dont seem to bleed into other frequency, which means even on bass heavy track, it doesn't overpower the other frequencies nor affect their quality. A huge plus to me as I find multi driver iems don't seem to sound as great in such aspect. They are either too disjointed or too mushed up.

Some things have to give though with all this greatness, and if you ask me, treble is the one. It didn't have sparkle or zing that the KSE1500 holds or infact of other IEMS of BA nature. I'm not sure if it's a character of Dynamic Drivers as the Lyra from ALO gave me similar feeling. That said, no zing doesnt mean lost in details. Everything is well separated and all details are in placed. The sound tracks from Nier Automata and Final Fantasy Distant Worlds really carry proved that point well. Its just that if you are a treble lover, I probably can't recommend this to you as the flagship to get. In this regard the KSE1500 is ahead especially since its electrostatic nature actually brings it out extremely well.

Though not so great in treble, maybe because of it, I never experience any sibilance in all the tracks I tried. This is really great for todays modern music where mastering/recording of vocals is not the best and induces those peaks. Though it;s a silly to recommend a earphone of this caliber to listen to "not so well done" modern music, but hey we are here to enjoy whatever music we like and if it so happens that's your genre, the RE2000 gets 5/5 from me. In comparison I always felt most BA IEMS especially those from a very popular make seems to be susceptible to this.

Clarity and separation is quite good. In fact I think perceived separation, the RE2000 is better than the KSE1500 but the clarity to me is a no fight KSE1500 ground. The RE2000 has this layering that really separated the vocals lows and highs very well. This made the sound of instruments of different class easy to pick out.

The last part of the sound I will cover is how the soundstage felt. The RE2000 felt like the low and mids are grounded to the center with the rest of the sound radiating outwards all around. If explained on how it felt in like a hall: The RE2000 is like sitting next to a band, center in a midsize hall. The vocalist is upfront and close up. The overall atmosphere is warmer. Compared to the KSE1500, that is a slightly bigger hall, but you are a touch further from band and singer. A friend of my commented that the RE2000 had a soundstage that centers on the Vocalist and this gives a layer effect compared to the KSE1500 which is all around. Songs with instruments and vocalist such as Weight of the World and Answers from the soundtracks demonstrated this effect. If listening to full range orchestra, I will recommend the KSE1500 while if a vocalist is put in and there's more bass elements, I may actually recommend the RE2000 even though there's some lost in the size but you gain a more interesting placement and soundstage.

I end my review with what I said at the top: Fantastic Earphone, worthy of its tag and range. Great bass and Vocals and definitely a good choice if your genre includes modern pop songs. To me if you love the above, get it.

Re2000 2.jpg

On a final note, this earphone requires quite alot of volume and power. As earlier said, it benefits from decent amplification.
    Dobrescu George likes this.
  3. HiFiChris
    3.0/5,
    "HiFiMan RE2000: v. good but worthy of improvement"
    Pros - fantastic layering and body, very high detail retrieval (especially for a dynamic driver in-ear), very precise imaging, large soundstage
    Cons - accessories and build for the price, treble response (authenticity/realism) compared to other IEMs in the four-digit price range
    Preamble:

Originally posted on my German audio review site, the "Kopfhörer-Lounge", here comes my review of HiFiMan's flagship in-ear, the RE2000, that definitely is a flagship but not without its own quirks.

Introduction:

HiFiMan was founded in 2005 by Dr. Fang Bian, however not under the name we know the company today, but as “Head-Direct”. In the beginning, it was not the high-end company that we know today and offered mainly budget products, but eventually directions and priorities, along with the name, changed, and HiFiMan as we know it today began to focus on higher-end gear.

[​IMG]

While it is mainly the section of planar magnetic headphones HiFiMan is known for (I am an owner of the HE-400 myself and would have likely purchased the HE-6 to complement my Sennheiser HD 800 and Audeze LCD-X if it were still available in stores as a new product), HiFiMan has also manufactured several in-ears that were positively received by the community, such as the still very affordable RE-400 that is heading into a quite neutral tonal direction.

However the market doesn’t stop growing and the same goes for the development of new products in the hi-fi sector, and so HiFiMan is also introducing new models (some people might say they are doing this at a higher pace than they should), such as the RE2000 that is the company’s most recent in-ear flagship.

The RE2000 is a dynamic driver in-ear with one dynamic driver per side that has got a new diaphragm design, called “Topology Diaphragm” by HiFiMan. What this means is that it features nano-coating in a specific pattern, which can be used to fine-tune the sound waves and also increase the membrane stiffness according to HiFiMan. Whether this is a ground-breaking invention or offers just a small real-world advantage is up to you to decide.

HiFiMan’s RE2000 in-ear flagship is priced at US$2000, matching its model number, which did cause some jokes when it was first introduced. Surely this is rather a lot of cash for a single dynamic driver in-ear, making it more expensive than other flagship dynamic driver models from Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Dita or Campfire Audio, however these days with a summit-fi audio market where company flagships seem to be getting continuously more and more expensive, it is no real surprise or shock to see this number.

What the HiFiMan RE2000 sounds like and how it performs is to be found out in this review.

Full disclosure: I was approached by HiFiMan who wanted me to review the RE2000 that was sent to me at no additional cost as a sample. As with all of my reviews, I am not affiliated with the company in any way, am receiving no monetary compensation and was not given any directions or restrictions for my text.

Technical Specifications:

Price: US$2000
    Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
    Impedance: 60 Ohms
    Sensitivity: 103 dB
    Driver: 9.2 mm dynamic “Topology Diaphragm” driver
    Cable: silver-coated crystalline copper wire
    Earphone weight: 13.8 g
    Cable weight: 23 g

Delivery Content:

For a high-priced in-ear, you would usually also expect an at least somewhat luxurious package and delivery content, and HiFiMan’s RE2000 does definitely not disappoint in this regard by even the slightest bit.

[​IMG]

It arrives in a large, hinged and pleather-coated storage chest/box that, on the outside, somewhat reminds me of the one my Sennheiser HD 800 came with.

Inside, you can find the ear pieces in the centre, safely placed in a lightweight and transportable aluminium case with a black finish and a white HiFiMan logo on top, while the accessories such as the cable (that also comes with a set of spare 2-pin connectors which is hopefully not a bad sign) and ear tips are stored in separate cardboard boxes.

[​IMG]

The selection of included ear tips is unfortunately quite poor, especially given the price. While one will find Comply Foam, single-flange, double-flange and triple-flange tips, they don’t come in more than one or two various sizes at max, which is a bit embarrassing for every in-ear that is not priced in the lower two-digit budget sector.

[​IMG]

Silicone ear guides, a booklet and a warranty card can be found inside the large box, too.

Looks, Feels, Build Quality:

The RE2000 is HiFiMan’s first in-ear with detachable cables. Thankfully, they have decided to use the 2-pin standard instead of (rotating and non-locked) MMCX connectors.

The cable features a fairly large and angled 3.5 mm plug with gold-plated and aluminium elements. The gold-plating can also be found on the slim y-splitter with “HiFiMan” and “RE2000” labelling and the chin-slider.

The cable is a bit thicker than normal below the y-splitter but not by much. While it is nicely soft, it has also got a slightly sticky plus rubbery surface and lacks strain relief on some transitions. In addition, it doesn’t really appear like a cable that was made for a $2000 in-ear although besides that, it is admittedly somewhat nice for a non-braided/-twisted cable.

Fortunately though, it can be replaced with any cable of choice as long as it is using 2-pin connectors without a collar.

[​IMG]

The shell’s inner half consists of brass that was electroplated with 24k gold. It is more matt than shiny and therefore not as intrusive.

While the surface is flawlessly built, the faceplate with the HiFiMan logo that would look quite a bit more premium if it was engraved or CNC-milled and the design honestly doesn’t have the appearance of a four-digit flagship in-ear.

Comfort, Isolation:

The RE2000 is not necessarily ergonomically shaped but not on the large side either – in fact, I would consider its size to be “medium”, with a good amount of in-ears having larger shells. Nonetheless, people with really small ears will likely get problems finding a good fit and seal, as well as people with ears that offer enough height but not enough width (since HiFiMan’s in-ear flagship is on the wider side). In addition, the RE2000’s shells are also on the bulkier side, but this will likely only cause problems with shallow ears.

Sort of a problem could be the short nozzles though, since in combination with the bulky shells, I can see them limiting the possibilities of a good angle and seal for some people.

[​IMG]

As noted, the tip selection is quite poor, especially given the price. Almost all tips except for the large Comply Foam tips that I however don’t like much were too small for my ears, so what I had to do in order to get a seal was to trim down the large triple-flange silicone tips to just a large single-flange tip while maintaining the same length as the grey double-flange tips that came already installed on the in-ears. Measurements by the way proved that there was no tonal difference between the modified and grey tips and the modified ones (mainly due to the same length).

[​IMG]

This way, I could find a good seal and have to say that I find the RE2000 to fit rather comfortably in my large ears.

The gold-plated brass shells are by the way no problem at all and don’t feel cold or unpleasant. The in-ears actually don’t feel much different from models with acrylic or plastic shells in one’s ears.

Just as it is the standard for most higher-priced and professional in-ears, the HiFiMan RE2000 is also intended to be worn with the cables around the ears which improves the fit, security and lowers microphonics (cable noise) that I can happily report to not exist.

Noise isolation doesn’t reach the best isolating in-ears’ standards but is fairly good and a bit better than average for a dynamic driver in-ear with a vent in the shells (precisely, it is in the 2-pin socket).

Sources I used for critical listening were the iBasso DX200 (AMP2 module), Cowon Plenue 2 and my Chord Mojo-Leckerton Uha-6S.MKII stack.

For listening, I used the included large triple-flange tips that I trimmed down to large single-flange tips that have the same length as the grey tips that came already installed on the in-ears. Due to the same length, measurements indicated both to have the exact same frequency response.

- - -

Frequency response measurements can be found here.

Keep in mind though that I am not using a professional measurement coupler but a Vibro Labs Veritas coupler that was pseudo-calibrated to more or less match an IEC711 coupler’s response with applied diffuse-field compensation that is definitely not perfect at the current state and shows too little level around 3 and 6 kHz. But if you mentally visualise somewhat more level in those areas, the result will be fairly close.

Tonality:

So what does HiFiMan’s RE2000 dynamic driver in-ear flagship sound like?

Tonally, the RE2000 sounds fairly balanced, with just a slight “smiley face”/v-shaped/loudness tuning.

The bass isn’t emphasised by much but only around 6 dB compared to an in-ear that is diffuse-field flat in the lows, such as the Etymotic ER-4S/SR. Its bass emphasis and quantity is quite comparable to the InEar StageDiver SD-2 but with around 1 dB more in quantity when doing direct comparisons, along with some of the added impact of the dynamic driver that gives it a little more perceived weight wherefore it feels more impactful and energetic.

The bass extends very well into the sub-bass, with just a slight drop below 40 Hz, nonetheless with still very good presence that can be heard and also be felt here, so even though the sub-bass does not show more quantity than the midbass, it can have some nice rumble if the recording digs this low.

The bass emphasis somewhat blends into the lower midrange and higher root, making it gain some fullness, body and a touch of cosy and pleasant warmth. To my ears, the (lower) mids are therefore on the smoother and fuller side without appearing artificial or overly coloured.

Unlike most in-ears, the RE2000 doesn’t show any dip or recession in the area of the middle highs that’s usually responsible for some smoothness and a somewhat relaxed character or can also be used to prepare some headroom for peaks, but instead the HiFiMan has got an emphasis at 5 kHz, followed by another one around 11 kHz.

Due to the 5 kHz lift with no valley before it, vocals also gain a little countervailing air as a nice contrast to the pleasant warmth in the lower midrange. However, a bad side-effect of this is also that the highs do not appear as even as they could be and don’t convey the ultimately highest realism. Cymbals for example sound a bit “spread” and slightly artificial due to the 11 kHz emphasis (a bit as if they were played with brushes instead of sticks) and also gain some metallic character due to the 5 kHz elevation, along with trumpets that are slightly on the squeakier side. A result is also some slight sharpness/over-crispiness at times.

A good thing is however that there is not really much added sibilance in vocals.

At this price point, I really don’t want this to happen even if it is no drastic phenomenon. There are in-ears at lower prices that are less even and realistic in the highs, but there are also plenty models that are somewhat more linear and smoother up top. At $2000, I would expect a fairly smooth (as in even and linear) treble that conveys realism and doesn’t have a slightly artificial touch to cymbals and in general, even if it is rather mild.

Extension past 10 kHz is good though and subtle airiness in the super treble can be therefore also heard.

The tuning in the lows and midrange is good – instruments sound realistic and vocals are pleasant. Only people expecting a spot-on flat presentation might find drums to have a pinch too much body. Guitars sound very authentic and realistic, too.

The treble really isn’t that bad at all – but it is just not authentic enough for the price. A bit more fine-tuning to get the 5 kHz and 11 kHz emphasis down and make them flatter would have definitely been beneficial for some more treble linearity, naturalness and authenticity.

Resolution:

For an in-ear with a single dynamic driver per side, the RE2000’s performance and presentation is admittedly fairly impressive, detailed and precise even though it might not fully convince die-hard Balanced Armature lovers. To show how far high-end dynamic driver in-ears have come these days, the HiFiMan is a really good example nonetheless.

Coherence, not much surprisingly, is really good, but that is also what should be expected at this price point, no matter whether we’re talking about a hybrid, dynamic driver or multi-BA in-ear.

Speed with complex and really fast recordings is very good for a dynamic driver in-ear but not fully on the same level as with some really good multi-BA models.

Bass quality is very good – the RE2000 has got a fast and tight bottom-end reproduction with good details. Still, it has got a nice body and doesn’t deny its dynamic driver heritage despite the excellent control. Fast and complex bass lines and quick punches are no problem for this in-ear.

What is extremely nice is also the almost tactile and very well-layered texture in the lows that I have rarely heard with an in-ear. In this way, it somewhat reminds me of my Audeze LCD-X’s bass texture although the two are admittedly still different in terms of bottom-end presentation.

Positively striking is also the separation that is nothing but excellent in the highs, presenting a razor-sharp and spot-on separation of single notes in the highs. Decay feels neither too quick nor too fast. CSD plots back this up and don’t show any undesired ringing in the upper highs.

The midrange shines with good speech intelligibility and rendering of fine details as well – singers’ small variations can be heard precisely. Still, I have got the feeling like there could be slightly more details in the mids that feel just like “80 to 85%” to me compared to the rest.

- - -

As good and impressive as the RE2000 is as a high-end single dynamic driver in-ear, I ultimately have the feeling that the technical performance does not fully justify the asked price given similarly performing in-ears for half as much do exist. Sure, the bass quality and separation are very good, but then again this is nothing that some other high-end in-ears for somewhat less money can also achieve on the same or even slightly higher level.What really makes the RE2000 unique though is its low frequency texture that is nothing but splendid.

You can blame that on the law of diminishing returns, a price that was probably set too high, the recent development of the headphone and in-ear market or whatever you want.

Soundstage:

Just like the RE2000’s general tightness and separation, its soundstage is convincing as well.

The portrayed sound field is fairly large, leaving the base of my head to the size. It doesn’t reach the size of many open-back full-sized headphones though and is also spatially not as large as the now discontinued Ultimate Ears UE18 Pro.

There is overall a little more width than depth (the ratio is about 55% width to 45% depth to my ears), but the presentation is good and goes fairly deep wherefore layering is no problem and done quite precisely.

Placement and separation are done remarkably well and single instruments have their dedicated spot in the imaginary room without blending into each other. Therefore the imaging is plenty precise and the RE2000 also manages to portray some empty space around instruments.

---------

In Comparison with other In-Ears:

Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors (triple-BA; €1149):

The UERM are the more neutral in-ears out of the two with somewhat less bass quantity and less warmth in the lower midrange. The RE2000 has got the more impactful bass that, while just around 3 dB more present, is more energetic appearing.

The HiFiMan has got the slightly airier/brighter upper mids at the same time (the UERM are flatter and a bit more authentic here).

The RE2000 is a good bit more pronounced around 5 kHz where the UERM are a little recessed (when regarded by diffuse-field standards and when I’m listening to sine sweeps) wherefore the HiFiMan sounds a little more metallic and brighter here.

The UERMs’ only real criticism is that their 10 kHz area has got a rather narrow emphasis that can sound somewhat sharp and unnatural when certain notes hit it exactly. Then, but only then, the UERM also sound brighter than the RE2000, however their cymbals don’t appear as spread as the HiFiMan’s. Most of the time though, the UERM sound a bit more authentic in the highs (but are ultimately not perfect either in terms of treble realism – but then again cost only about half as much as the RE2000).

It is quite remarkable how close the RE2000 comes in terms of bass speed and tightness. The UERM decay slightly faster, but ultimately bottom-end control is on the same level. Due to the slightly slower decay, the HiFiMan has got that admittedly quite pleasant dynamic driver texture.

When it comes to midrange resolution, the UERM are a bit ahead and portray the somewhat superior speech intelligibility as well as minute detail retrieval.

Treble separation is almost a draw with the UERM separating single notes slightly sharper with busy and complex recordings. Treble resolution is comparable.

Playing fast and busy recordings, the UERM is somewhat ahead when it comes to control.

In terms of soundstage, the RE2000 has got the somewhat wider base as well as also a bit more spatial depth, therefore generating the more open appearing presentation. Borders around instruments appear slightly cleaner on the UERMs’ side with busier recordings though and their soundstage also scales better with the recording.

Sennheiser IE 800 (single dynamic driver; €699):

Compared to the tiny IE 800, the RE2000 appears quite large.

The IE 800 has got a more unique design in my opinion. The RE2000’s cable, while not perfect either and a bit sticky, is still better than the Sennheiser’s that doesn’t even have good strain relief on about any transition and is more microphonic.

Sound signature-wise, the IE 800 is tuned more for fun and has got the noticeably stronger v-shape, with a forward bass and especially sub-bass, the more sparkling and forward upper highs and a dip in the 5 kHz range to generate headroom for the upper treble emphasis.

The midrange tuning seems more natural on the IE 800 (the RE2000’s upper midrange is a little thin in comparison).

Cymbals sound splashier and brighter on the Sennheiser. On the HiFiMan, they unfortunately appear a bit more metallic due to the 5 kHz elevation though. The Sennheiser’s on the other hand are much splashier (definitely too splashy for some people).

When it comes to resolution, the IE 800 is already a quite capable single dynamic driver in-ear. The RE2000 however takes it to an even higher level and offers even a bit more tightness and speed in the lows, along with the more precise separation in the highs.

So the overall amount of details is even higher on the RE2000 that just sounds more precise.

The IE 800 has got the slightly wider soundstage to my ears, however it has got almost no spatial depth at all. The RE2000 on the other side offers some real spatial depth and layering.

Instrument separation is cleaner and more precise on the HiFiMan’s side, too – compared to it, the IE 800 even seems spatially a bit mushy.

Fidue SIRIUS (quintuple-hybrid (1x DD, 4x BA); $899):

When it comes to design, build and styling, the Fidue is quite a bit ahead in my opinion.

The SIRIUS’ shells are somewhat larger than the HiFiMan’s but not as bulky.

In my ears, the RE2000 is a little more comfortable than the SIRIUS that can cause problems due to its sharp corners and edges. Both in-ears have got a pretty short nozzle that I would wish was a bit longer.

The SIRIUS’ bass quantity will ultimately depend on how close its vents are to your ears. In my ears and with my ear anatomy, the RE2000 has got slightly more bass than the SIRIUS (about 1 dB) and the slightly more present sub-bass rumble. The HiFiMan’s lower mids are slightly fuller.

The RE2000 is brighter in the 5 kHz range where the Fidue is more in the background. The SIRIUS has got some more energy right before 10 kHz whereas the RE2000’s 11 kHz range is more pronounced. The Fidue’s highs sound overall smoother and definitely somewhat more realistic to me. In comparison, the RE2000 reproduces cymbals more spread, more metallic and with more sharpness and is generally a bit brighter overall in the treble.

The HiFiMan’s bass is a bit tighter in attack but a little slower in decay, resulting in an overall comparably tight but more textured reproduction with the slightly higher control.

Midrange resolution is relatively identical among the two in-ears with the HiFiMan surprisingly having the somewhat cleaner and sharper treble separation in the lower and middle highs.

The SIRIUS has got the larger (especially wider) soundstage. Separation is comparably good between the two with just slightly more precise separation of single instruments on the HiFiMan’s side.

Conclusion:

On the technical side, the HiFiMan RE2000 is remarkably good for a single dynamic driver in-ear and shows what high-end dynamic driver in-ears can be capable of nowadays.

It features a very good bass with tightness, speed, control but at the same time some really nice texture and has got really good note separation and a high overall resolution (that is a bit lower in the midrange than in the highs and lows though). Its soundstage is also not only large but also precise and has got good layering and very good separation capabilities.

[​IMG]

However, the RE2000 is definitely not without flaws and shows some downsides that should not be as present at its price point, since a good number of similarly priced and even less expensive in-ears nowadays manage to avoid them.

One comparatively major nitpick is the treble that just isn’t as even, realistic or linear as it could ultimately be. Cymbals just don’t sound fully authentic to me for example. In the process of fine-tuning, the 5 kHz and 11 kHz elevations could and should have been flattened for more realism. Therefore, the lack of the last bit naturalness in the treble is quite a bit of a letdown at this price point.

Another thing is that the design, build, cable and especially poor selection of included tips don’t fully fit into the picture of a high-priced in-ear.

So ultimately, in my opinion, the price is definitely set somewhat too high and a bit questionable for the total package (treble evenness/naturalness/realism, build, design, cable, short nozzles), as convincing (and even somewhat impressive) the technical capability of the high quality dynamic driver is, but I guess that is how high-end, the law of diminishing returns and the high-end in-ear market unfortunately works nowadays.
    Nymphonomaniac and Papa Carlo like this.
  4. Brooko
    "RE2000 – Close To A Personal Endgame IEM?"
    Pros - Sonic signature, balance, imaging and separation, tonality and timbre, overall build quality
    Cons - Cost (value), one sharp(ish) edge, lacking accessories for the price
    [​IMG]
    Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.

INTRODUCTION

I've reviewed a couple of HifiMan's DAPs in the past (one of which included an IEM I suspect was modelled on the RE600). I've also heard the HE-6 at a meet and was very impressed with what they had achieved. But beyond that I haven't heard a lot of their line-up. So when Mark contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in reviewing some more of their gear, I jumped at the chance. He originally asked if I wanted to review the Susvara as well as the RE2000 and RE800, but to be honest, I was somewhat hesitant about the idea of reviewing the Susvara – simply because of the hefty price tag. After listening to the RE2000 this week, I'm wondering now if I should have leapt at the chance to review the Susvara as well (unfortunately an opportunity missed).

Most people will recognise by now that I do take price into account when reviewing a product, and I try to be as objective as possible. So how did the RE2000 fare, especially knowing my tendency to look for value for money? Read on as I explore HifiMan's flagship IEM.

ABOUT HIFIMAN

HifiMan Audio was founded in late 2005 by Dr Fang Bian when he was resident in New York. He started Head-Direct, and in 2007 began use of the HifiMan brand. They started initially with in-ear earphones, branched out into building hi-res portable players, and this was followed by planar magnetic headphones. As the business grew, so did the need to expand, so in 2010 Dr Bian started two small factories in China, and moved the HQ to Tianjin China in 2011. They are now a well recognised brand globally – particularly in the field of portable or personal audio products.

I found most of these short facts from a couple of interviews with Dr Bian posted on line, and among the interviews were a couple of direct quotes which I found fascinating and illuminating:

I started listening to a lot of music when I was in high school. I used a Walkman and Discman all the time because I had nothing else available to me. They were designed more for convenience than great sound. I wanted both- convenience and great sound so that set the stage for my dream to build the best sounding personal audio products.

Starting with me, everyone is passionate about what we are doing at HiFiMAN. We may not always do everything perfectly from the beginning but we try hard to get it right in the end and our track record is pretty good. Most of all, I want our customers to know how much we appreciate them. Their support and feedback is invaluable.

DISCLAIMER

The HifiMan RE2000 that I’m reviewing today was provided to me as a review sample. After I finish with the review, I will arrange a tour through NZ and maybe Australia. At the completion of the tour, I will either return the IEM to HifiMan, or they may allow me to hang onto it for further review comparisons. Either way – they retain ownership.

I have made it clear to HifiMan that I still regard any product they send me as their sole property and available for return any time at their request. But I thank them for the ability to review and possibly continue use of the RE2000 for follow up comparisons. I do not make any financial gain from this review – it is has been written simply as my way of providing feedback both to the Head-Fi community and also HifiMan themselves.

I have now had the HifiMan RE2000 for just under 3 weeks. The retail price at time of review is USD 2000.

PREAMBLE - 'ABOUT ME'. (or a base-line for interpreting my thoughts and bias)

I'm a 50 year old music lover. I don't say audiophile – I just love my music. Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current set-up. I vary my listening from portables (mostly now from the FiiO X5iii, and iPhone SE) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > USB > iFi iDSD). My main full sized headphones at the time of writing are the Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD600 & HD630VB, and AKG K553. Most of my portable listening is done with IEMs, and lately it has mainly been with the Jays q-Jays, Alclair Curve2 and Adel U6. A full list of the gear I have owned (past and present is listed in my Head-Fi profile).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock. I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock. I am particularly fond of female vocals. I generally tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced, but I do have a fondness for clarity, and suspect I might have slight ‘treble-head’ preferences. I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the T1 and DT880. I have a specific sensitivity to the 2-3 kHz frequency area (most humans do) but my sensitivity is particularly strong, and I tend to like a relatively flat mid-range with slight elevation in the upper-mids around this area.

I have extensively tested myself (ABX) and I find aac256 or higher to be completely transparent. I do use exclusively red-book 16/44.1 if space is not an issue. All of my music is legally purchased (mostly CD – the rest FLAC purchased on-line). I tend to be sceptical about audiophile ‘claims’, don’t generally believe in burn-in, have never heard a difference with different cables (unless it was volume or impedance related), and would rather test myself blind on perceived differences. I am not a ‘golden eared listener’. I suffer from mild tinnitus, and at 50, my hearing is less than perfect (it only extends to around 14 kHz nowadays). My usual listening level is around 65-75 dB.

For the purposes of this review - I used the HifiMan RE2000 from various sources at my disposal – both straight from the headphone-out socket, and also amplified. In the time I have spent with the HifiMan RE2000, I have noticed no change to the overall sonic presentation (break-in). After hearing claims of audible break-in with this IEM – I measured the RE2000 both at the beginning and toward the end of the review (with at least 50+ hours use), and that measurement is also included.

This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience. Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

THE REVIEW

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Front of the retail box Rear of the retail box

When the courier box arrived – the first thing I said to my wife was “oh – they must have sent me the Susvara as well! The outer packaging was pretty big, but contained not only the RE2000 but also the RE800 and a cheaper version of their HifiMan Megamini DAP.

The RE2000 arrived in a large retail box (253 x 183 x 70mm) – which consists of a full printed sleeve over a “jewellery type” leatherette encased hinged lid box. The outer sleeve is nicely done in black with a carbon type pattern, clean white (and easy to read) text, with a picture of the RE2000 on the front (as well as a sticker stating that they are electroplated with a fine 24K gold finish). The rear has specifications and contact details.

The inner box has a textured black leatherette outer surface, with a central brushed metal plate with the HifiMan logo, the RE2000 model number, and their slogan “Innovating the Art of Listening”. The inner box is closed with a polished stainless hasp.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The inner box First look inside

Opening the box reveals two black cardboard boxes – one housing the cable and the other the tips. Nestled between these is the round storage / carry case which when opened gives us our first glimpse of the RE2000. In a compartment under the case are two further pairs of Comply tips, a pair of ear-hooks, contact and warranty cards, and a very informative full colour booklet on the RE2000.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The full packageExcellent full colour guide

The accessories include:
    • 1 pair of medium T400 genuine Comply tips
    • 1 pair of large T400 genuine Comply tips
    • 1 pair black flexi ear-guides
    • 1 black alloy storage case
    • Maintenance and warranty card.
    • Full colour booklet/manual
    • 1 x 3.5 mm single ended to 2 pin earphone cable
    • 1 pair additional 2 pin connectors

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Cable, guides, and spare connectorsTip selection

The storage case is moderately large, and realistically won't be used as a carry case – unless in a larger jacket pocket or carry bag. It is 80mm in diameter, 35mm in height, with a lift-off lid, and internally lined with a soft felt like padded material. It also has a moulded foam insert if just to be used for storage (without the cable). The case works well and is ideal for safe storage on a desk top, or protection when on the go.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Case and insertPerfectly sized with insert removed

All in all, the included accessories are fair (maybe on the light side considering the price) – and I would have ideally liked to see inclusion of a secondary (perhaps balanced?) cable, and maybe more tips and adaptors.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    (From HifiMan’s packaging / website)
    ModelHifiMan RE2000
    Approx price$2000 USD
    TypeSingle Dynamic IEM
    Driver9.2 mm Dynamic with Topology coating
    Freq Range20Hz – 20kHz
    Impedance60Ω
    Sensitivity103 dB
    Cable Type1.3m, replaceable (dual pin)
    Cable MaterialsSilver coated crystalline copper
    Jack3.5mm gold plated single ended, right angled
    Weight13.8g (earpieces), 23g (cable), total 36.8g
    Casing materialBrass with electroplated 24K gold finish

FREQUENCY GRAPH

The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else's, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response - especially if you've followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) - and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements - and output is under 1 ohm.

The graphs are provided merely as a point of discussion, and later in the review I've included comparisons to other IEMs for similar reference.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Frequency response and channel matchingMeasurements after 50+ hours “burn-in”

I have included 2 graphs – which you will see look practically identical. There had been a couple of claims of marked changes after burn-in. Anyone knowing me will understand that whilst I'm open to the possibility of change (eg changing impedance due to cable changes with BA based IEMs), I tend to take claims of burn-in with a fairly large grain of salt. When someone claims the differences are clearly audible – I tend to get my objective hat on. I made sure I measured with around 50+ hours difference in use. Claims of clearly audible changes should show in frequency response (including claims of less treble, smoother tonality etc). Often when I question it, original claimants will say the changes are subtle – and perhaps can't be measured. My answer to that is simply that if the changes are subtle – and our echoic memory is typically very bad – how can someone remember changes when they are often 10's (if not 100's) of hours apart. Quite clearly the changes are not happening on my pair. If you read a review claiming large changes (or any changes) – my personal advice is to be careful of any other claims made. Its my personal view – so please choose to ignore it if you want. Interestingly, I can find no advice or claim from HifiMan that the RE2000 improves or even changes from break in.

My sonic impressions of the RE2000 – written well before I measured:

• Bass is one of the strong points of this IEM. It sounds very natural (so a good naturally shaped shallow mid-bass hump), reaches low with excellent extension but is not over-emphasised. There is audible sub-bass rumble.
    • Lower mid-range is slightly recessed compared to bass and upper mid-range, but at the same time male vocals are well represented.
    • Upper mid-range is emphasised, and it is a definite colouration (you could call the RE2000 mid-forward), but one I not only appreciate, but absolutely love. I would go so far to say it is one fo the best mid-ranges I have ever heard. Female vocals have a wonderful sense of euphony, and there is wonderful clarity without losing overall tonality
    • Lower treble extension is phenomenal as well, but it is done without any huge peaks. Cymbal fundamentals are very good – and the decay is very lifelike without being over-emphasised. Because the 5-7 kHz and 9-10 kHz areas have small peaks, anyone who is overly treble sensitive may have issues. Personally I love it – detailed and smooth at the same time.
    • Overall an extremely well balanced earphone with an upper mid-emphasis, but wonderful sense of spatial imaging (we'll delve more into that later).
    • Channel matching is excellent – among the best I've seen throughout the entire spectrum.

BUILD AND DESIGN

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    External face of the shellFront and side view

The RE2000 is very well built and finished, and definitely worthy of being called HiFiMan's top monitor. The outer shell is a two tone affair and consists of a gold coloured main shell, with a black formed plastic compound plate. The exits which house the sockets for the cables are the same compound.

The interesting thing about the actual housing itself though is some of the research which went into the material to use. HiFiMan went through a very extensive prototyping development stage, and came down to three options – bronze, copper and brass. Bronze proved too hard for forming, and copper was too soft. Brass proved to be the ideal middle ground, and also had the right tonal properties. Now we know that brass is also prone to oxidisation, and this is probably the reason for the additional use of the 24K gold electroplating to finish the shells.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Internal facingRear view of shell – note the one sharpish edge

The RE2000 is a moderately large IEM with an end to end width of 15mm, a height of 11mm (shell only) and depth of approx 15mm (excluding nozzle). The interior or internal side is somewhat rectangular, but also nicely rounded with no really sharp corners or angles. The nozzle sits out (non angled) from the front of the main body, protruding approx 5mm in length. It is 6mm in diameter, mesh covered and has an extremely good lip.

The shape is rounded rectangular, and it is ergonomically designed to fit inside the natural trench or hollow from your ear's tragus, to the antihelix.

2 pin cable socket and male connectorMale 2 pin connectors

The exterior or external side has the plastic/rubber compound black “cap”. It is nicely curved to match the IEM shell and has the HiFiMan logo on both earpieces. The front and sides are rounded but due to the natural shape of most people's ears, won't have any issues. The rear join is neither rounded or bevelled and is one of the few design errors made in my opinion (I'll go more into it when discussing comfort).

On the top of the IEM is the socket for the cable. It is angled forward at about 45 degrees, and consists of the same rubber/plastic compound, with a standard 2 pin socket recessed inside. The socket is grooved on one side to match the cable, so there is no way you can attach the cable out of phase. The connection is very solid when attached, and the male connector beautifully and seamlessly attaches with the recessed socket. On the male connector's housing is printed L or R. On the socket's outer housing is a single driver ventilation port.

Y-split and cinch3.5mm SE jack

The cable is a crystalline copper wire with a silver coating (SPC), and finished with a quite satiny black overwrap which appears to be a PVC base. The main cable appears to be quite sturdy and strong, but north of the Y-split the cable is quite a bit thinner.

There is strain relief at the cable exit, but it is quite small. At the Y-split there is no relief, but I don't really think its needed because of the design. The lower cable is strong enough, and the Y-split itself is essentially a hollow tube with a tapered base. It is made of the same material as the shells, printed with the model number, and has an excellent cinch.

The jack is 3.5mm, right angled, and has a quite heavy duty housing. The standard stereo plug is gold plated. An interesting thing about the jack is that despite its heavy duty appearance, unscrewing the cylinder shows the use of electrical tape for insulation rather than the more popular heat shrinking. Both do the same job, but the electrical tape sort of clashes with the price point / build expectation.

One of the good things about the cable socket is that it is interchangeable with other standard compatible cables. I've had success with both a Rhapsodio cable and also one from LZ's new Dipper. No noticeable sonic changes, but nice to know that for people who like to experiment with cables, those options are available.

HiFiMans jack (L) vs Dunu's (R)RE2000 with Rhapsodio cable

Internally HiFiMan uses what they call a 9.2mm Topology driver. They have invested a lot of time into researching advanced depositional technology, and the result is a driver with a nano particle coating applied to it's surface. The distribution of the coating has distinct geometrical patterns, and this allows HiFiMan to manipulate or control the wave patterns to achieve a desired audio effect. According to Dr Fang Bian, “different nano materials have differing structures and each of these materials has its own properties”. Therefore by carefully controlling the diaphragm surface structure, you can yield different results in acoustic performance to a degree previously unobtainable with conventional designs. Dr Bian also says that the Topology driver also reduces uncontrolled diaphragm distortions which occur in both BA and standard dynamic drivers.

HiFiman also claim that no other driver technology allows for such control and precision resulting in clarity, detail and nuance such that it can best the world's most complicated multi driver set-ups, but with none of the coherency and crossover issues.

I of course have neither the technological understanding, nor the experience with many other TOTL earphones at higher levels. But I can state categorically that I have not experienced any other IEM with quite the same combined tonality and imaging ability of the RE2000. But more on that later.

FIT / COMFORT / ISOLATION

I'll start with the easy one (isolation), and we can then look at fit and comfort. Isolation will be dependent on tip selection, and if you get a good seal, it is actually quite good (maybe slightly above average for a vented dynamic IMO), but will not ultimately reach the high isolation of sealed BA IEMs. I would even go as far to try these in noisier environments, But perhaps not on long haul flights. Unfortunately to get a great seal (and subsequent isolation) you may have to sacrifice a little comfort …..

So lets looks at fit and comfort – and these thoughts are more subjective. As I stated earlier, for the most part HiFiman have gone with a reasonably ergonomic overall design with virtually no sharp edges – apart from one at the rear. For most people this won't be an issue – as it should sit mostly above people's ears. But I have larger and deeper ears – I'm a big guy at just on 6ft.

I'm going to quote from the manual:
    “The shape of the housing is again an example of blending industrial design, comfort and a striking visual. To the sweeping outer curvature juxtaposed against the angularity of the housing body yet seamlessly fitting into the ear. It at first glance looks as though it cannot eb comfortable, its angular and striking looks surely cannot be and yet, they most certainly are. The hard and yet soft satin exterior gently nestles into the listener's ear where it provides excellent fit, comfort and isolation, all to give you the most wonderful of listening experiences.”

Now we know this is marketing speak, and my issue is primarily with two areas of design. Because of the short nozzle – the fit is shallow. This means for me, I have to seat the IEM firmly with the right tip to get a good seal. Doing so (initially) meant the rear of the IEM sitting inside my ear next to the AntiHelix. This brought the sharp edge in contact with my ear. Ouch. I've mitigated it by the use of oversized tips (large Shure Olives) and angling the housing slightly forward. Its comfortable now – but it shouldn't have required this level or adjustment in the first place. Either a longer nozzle, or a beveled rear surface would have solved the issue. IMO this is a design flaw and hopefully one to be fixed in future.

Ostry tuning tips and Spiral DotsSpinfits and Sony Isolation tips

One great point for the RE2000 though is the generous lip on the nozzle (thank you, thank you, thank you!). This means that practically any tips will fit so there are plenty of options. The included triple flanges provided a good seal and I already know I'd get a good seal also with the Comply tips. I also tried Spiral-dots, Sony Isolation tips, Ostry tuning tips and a number of others. For me the large Olives (I have to stretch the stem over the nozzle to have them fit) work incredibly well with shallow fitting IEMs, and have remained my tip of choise with the RE2000.

My preferred Shure OlivesGood fit – but adjusted to avoid the edge

The HiFiMan RE2000 sits almost flush with my outer ear, and after adjustment I can wear them for a considerable time. Initially I can lie down with them. I've slept with them occasionally, but with mixed results. If they remain seated during sleep (in their original position), I have no issues. If they compress into my outer ear – it will wake me up (the sharp edge). YMMV.

So the general build is good, but the shape could be improved a little. Overall though well thought out design on the whole.

SOUND QUALITY

The following is what I hear from the RE2000. YMMV – and probably will – as my tastes are likely different to yours (read the preamble I gave earlier for a baseline). Most of the testing at this point (unless otherwise stated) was done with my FiiO X5iii (single ended) and A5 amp, no EQ, and Shure Olive foam tips. I used the FiiO devices simply because paired they give me a very transparent window to the music with low impedance, and more than enough power. With both, their was no DSP engaged.

My trusty FiiO X5iii + A5FiiO X5iii solo was also more than enough

For the record – on most tracks, the volume pot on the A5 (paired with X5iii) was just under one quarter (on low gain) which was giving me an average SPL around 65-75 dB. Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.17556

Relativities
    • Sub-bass – has very good extension and even at my low listening levels is audible, but there is no boosted over emphasis and it sits extremely well within the overall frequency mix. There is enough rumble to give presence without overshadowing vocals, and I'm detecting no bleed into lower mid-range. What surprised me is how well the bass compliments the rest of the frequency, and also the degree of separation. This is sub-bass that hits low, but is truly excellent quality
    • Mid-bass – has a very natural mid-bass hump – not too large (does not dominate) but provides excellent impact. There is more mid-bass than sub-bass, but neither is really emphasised. This reminds me very much of my HD800S – enough to sound tonally natural, give very good overall timbre, and there when its in the mix, but absent when its not. I would not call the RE2000's bass overly warm, but neither is it thin. This is the sort of bass that is simply perfect in its presentation – one of the strengths of this earphone.
    • Lower mid-range – there is a recession compared to bass, and also the upper mid-range, but what has surprised me is how good male vocals are with the R2000, and also that whilst there is space in the overall imaging, vocals don't sound recessed. Its very rare in a slightly V shaped monitor to find this much body and depth of timbre and tone with both male and female vocals. I don't know how HiFiMan have done it – but it is welcome
    • Upper mid-range – elevated compared to lower mid-range, and there is a rise from 1 kHz to a sustained first peak at 2-3 kHz. The result is an incredibly clean and clear vocal range, with wonderful overall cohesion and real euphony for female vocals to sound sweet and elevated. The RE2000 is not a flat monitor, and anyone used to the creamy mid-range of the RE600 and other HiFiMan monitors will recognise this type of tuning immediately. The RE2000 is unashamedly mid-forward – and especially for female vocal lovers, it is as close to perfection as I have heard in an IEM.
    • Lower treble has amazing extension, and really is quite sustained from 5-10 kHz with a slight dip around 8kHz. But it isn't over-emphasised, remaining at about the same amplitude as the upper mid-range. For me this gives an extremely detailed portrayal, but without any sign of harshness. It is smooth, but still utterly compelling.
    • Upper treble – rolls off slowly but naturally – but still has good extension right through the upper registers. There are not many earphones I've measured which manage this. I can't really comment on the sonic signature of the upper treble, as its rare for me to hear any nuance at these frequencies.
    Resolution / Detail / Clarity
    • I was taken aback the more I listened to the RE2000. This is an earphone with excellent extension but no sharp peaks. Yet it is vibrant, clear and articulate. Older recordings like 10cc's “Art for Art's Sake” are simply amazing even at low volumes, and the most impressive for me was Pink Floyd's “Money”. There is so much micro detail in this track, and often the headphones that display it best are the ones with a cooler, leaner drier signature. Yet the RE2000s is clean , clear, balanced and rich – and everything is there. Every nuance, every detail. I know there is the old cliché about hearing things for the first time. Thats not true in this case – I've heard this sort of detail before. But not this sort of presentation. Unless we're starting to talk full sized headphones!
    • Cymbal hits have excellent clarity and overall presence, and this includes decay – there is no hint of truncation. I love it when you hear a cymbal trail off, and particularly with jazz fusion (Portico Quartet) the RE2000 was magnificent.(
    • Overall I feel as though I'm hearing everything in the recording – and this is even at my lower listening levels.
    Sound-stage, Imaging
    • If there was one quality of the RE2000 which I would call simply uncanny , it is the sense of imaging and space. Right from the first listen I was amazed at the overall degree of separation – especially in the bass.
    • Directional queues are amazing – very precise, and presentation of stage is definitely outside the periphery of my head space with binaural tracks. They are expansive but not massively so.
    • Coupled with the imaging is the sense of separation of instruments, and this is a strong point of the RE2000. It really si the clear definition of each instrument which makes it so compelling.
    • Reasonably spherically presented sound-stage – maybe a slight L/R dominance (more width than depth), but for me a good sense of staging.
    • There are very few IEMs which manage to totally immerse me in the audience with the applause section of “Dante's Prayer”. The RE2000 manages it naturally and easily, I'm there in the audience, and you can't get much better than that with an IEM. Not as expansive as my U6, but sometimes realism is better than sheer size and the RE2000 delivers realism easily.
    • “Let it Rain” was my next track and it had a very 3D-like sense of spatial presentation – it is the way the track was miked. There was only a slight hint of sibilance with Amanda's vocal (even at higher volumes) – and I know its present in the recording – so not unexpected. What was great is that the sibilance was actually quite subdued, but the detail still shone through clearly.
    Sonic Strengths
    • Overall tonal balance and clarity – while retaining a very smooth sonic presentation
    • Imaging, separation and sense of space in the staging.
    • Both sub and mid-bass have good impact and timbre when required, but do not dominate otherwise. Some of the best bass I've ever heard on a dynamic IEM
    • Wonderful portrayal of both male and female vocals
    • Detailed at low listening levels, but not peaky or harsh for me at higher listening levels
    • Slightly V shaped sound with slight richness or forwardness in upper mid-range area. Transition between lower and upper mid-range is extremely good.
    • Very subjective – I quite like London Grammar (Hannah Reid's vocal range is quite extraordinary – even if the recording quality of her albums isn't). I checked out her latest album on Tidal, and listening with my usual earphones, wasn't overly impressed (it sounded a bit flat really). Then the RE2000 arrived, and I happened to listen to the album again. I bought the CD the next day. The RE2000 has that ability to get me lost on the music – to feel less like reviewing and more like simply listening.
    Sonic Weaknesses
    • Sonically I simply can't find a weakness. For my preferences this is end-game territory. I would not change a single thing.
    • Although I wouldn't change anything – there may be some who have sensitivity to lower treble. While its not peaky – it is present – so if you like smooth and warm possible the RE2000 is not for you.
    AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

The RE2000 is an interesting IEM with its 60ohm impedance and 103 dB sensitivity. Looking at the specs, you'd immediately think that this IEM will need extra amplification, and it does need a higher volume from most of my portable devices. To maintain my usual 65-75 dB listening level utilises around 55-60/120 on the X5iii by itself. This equates to almost 50% on my iPhone SE with the same track.

But I went back and forth (volume matching with test tones and fixed volume on the A5) comparing the X5iii both amped and unamped, and I couldn't say that there was any change in resolution or dynamics. Both sounded excellent. And I have been spending a lot of time with my iPhone SE at work during the day. Its a great portable set-up. iPhone and RE2000 – who would have thought?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Testing with the IMS HVA, iDSD and FiiO A5All the sources I had could also drive the RE2000 easily

I also with tried with the IMS Hybrid Valve amp and my iDSD but none of them seemed to be adding anything to my listening set-up other than some extra bulk. So I'd suggest that amping is not a requirement but for those who enjoy using a stack – definitely it won't hurt anything – and perhaps you'll notice improvements which were lost on me.

I also had my daughter check for hiss, but none was present on any of my sources.

EQ / BALANCED PERFORMANCE

Unfortunately I could not test balanced performance as I don't have a compatible cable. It is the one thing which puzzled me at the price point – why would HiFiMan not include one? From the issue of cost, it would not be a large expense – but it would be a welcome addition to the overall package. DUNU includes an extra on their new DK-3001. Perhaps something to think about HiFiMan?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    X5iii and A5's bass boost was quite goodBut nirvana reached with -2 treble on E17K

As far as EQ goes, I didn't initially test because I couldn't see how anyone would want to EQ the default tuning. I used the bass boost on the A5 and the RE2000 responded with no signs of distortion or clipping – So I have every confidence you can EQ to your heart's content. When I was doing the comparisons (next section) to other IEMs, I actually tried for the first time EQing the upper mid-range and lower treble back a little with the tone controls on the E17K (a small -2 dB nudge). The results really surprised me, and this actually hit my personal sweet spot. I didn't see this coming – and for me personally this takes the RE2000 from superb to “must have” territory. Personal preference I know – and YMMV depending on your own needs.

COMPARISON WITH OTHER IEMS

Oh boy – what to compare the RE2000 to in order to give you the best idea of its sonic quality and comparative value. Its such a tough one because I don't actively solicit review samples – so I don't have a lot of top tier IEMs at a similar price bracket to compare with.

Well lets start with the source. I wanted something neutral, but with a finely tuned digital control, to make sure I could volume match properly, and still make sure there were no questions about power output. So in the end I chose to use my old work-horse combo – the FiiO X3ii and E17K. Neutral – check. Power output OK – check. No DSP or EQ was used. Gain was low (I didn't need any more). I volume matched using a calibrated SPL meter and fixed 1kHz test tone first. My listening level was set slightly higher than my normal 65-75dB, and I averaged most of the time at an actual listening level of around 75-80 dB depending on the recording.

I chose my comparisons carefully. First up was Dunu's new DK-3001 at ~$500, then progressively upward in price from there – including HifiMan's own ~$700 RE800, Rhapsodio's older ~$800 RTi1 single dynamic, 64Audio's ~$900 U6, Fidue's $900 A91 Sirius, LZ's new ~$860 Big Dipper, and 64Audio's ~$1400 U10. Hopefully this gives enough insight to anyone interested in this IEM. Here are my very subjective personal thoughts:

HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000) vs Dunu DK-3001 (~USD 500)
    HiFiMan RE2000 and Dunu DK-3001Frequency comparisons

Starting as usual with build quality – both are built very sturdily built with no real weaknesses. Both also suffer a little on overall design from a truly ergonomic point of view – though in this case I do find the RE2000 a little more comfortable for longer term listening sessions. Accessories are in favour of the Dunu – especially with both balanced and SE cables included – as well as the extra tips and other accessories. The RE2000 is also considerably harder to drive – requiring more volume input to match.

Sonically these two have very similar tonal properties. The RE2000 is a little brighter through the lower treble, while the DK-3001 is a little more mid-forward and also a little smoother as far as lower treble goes. Bass is similar in quantity – but the RE2000's bass just appears a little quicker with a bit more definition.

As far as preference goes – if price was no object – I would take the RE2000 simply because of the extra definition, better imaging and separation, and the slightly more ergonomic fit. But when you take the DK-3001 at one quarter of the price – for a quite similar overall signature, its hard to go past it. For the price point, the DK-3001 is truly one of the best monitors I've heard this year. But if price is no object, then the RE2000 is (for me) an incremental improvement (albeit one at quite a massive price jump).

HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000) vs HiFiMan RE800 (~USD 700)
    HiFiMan RE2000 and RE800Frequency comparisons

Build quality on both is similar in terms of materials. Obviously the two are very different sizes, and that makes quite a difference in terms of comfort – with the RE800 being an IEM I can wear without any comfort issues for hours. The RE800 has a fixed cable system, and for a $700 earphone this is a little unusual (most at this price point would be removable), and the thinner wires from y-split to earphone would concern me slightly if there were any longevity issues (unknown at this stage). Both have similar accessory packages (personally one area I find slightly weak with HiFiMan compared to other offerings). The RE2000 and RE800 have almost the same power requirements.

Sonically these two have similar bass through to upper mid-range, (the RE800 is a little thinner and cooler comparatively). The RE800 is lot brighter in the lower treble with a considerable 7 kHz peak. This peak sits more than 10 dB above the upper mid-range peaks, and 20 dB above the bass line, and for me personally is overdone. Compared to the RE2000, the RE800 tends toward glare, and also enhances sibilance. Some people will still really enjoy this presentation (there were a lot who liked RHA's CL1). For me though, the lwoer treble is simply overdone on the RE800 and I'd take the RE2000 regardless of price point. With EQ though (softening the 7kHZ area), the RE800 definitely is a beautiful sounding IEM.

HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000) vs Rhapsodio RTi1(~USD 800)

HiFiMan RE2000 and Rhapsodio RTi1Frequency comparisons

Build quality again on both is similar in terms of actual materials (longevity), but there is no doubt the RE2000 has the better finishing and looks more like a higher end IEM aesthetically. The RTi1 has the better quality cable, and incidentally the cable also fits the RE2000. Both were similarly sparse on overall accessories included (considering their respective prices). Both are shallow fitting and have an ergonomic type build. Of the two, the RTi1 is a little more comfortable for long term listening. The RE2000 does require more power with its lower sensitivity and higher impedance.

Sonically these two have similar bass through to lower mid-range, but differ in the upper mid-range and lower treble. The RTi1 has less presence in the upper mid-range, and quite a peak at 6-7 kHz. The two don't sound tonally dissimilar – its just that the RE2000 sound more balanced, richer and smoother. The RTi1 is brighter, thinner, cooler, and can get a little peaky depending on the recording. Like the comparison with the RE800, I'd personally take the RE2000 over the RTi1 (and pay the difference) simply because the RE2000 sits closer to my overall preferences.

HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000) vs 64 Audio U6 + G1 ADEL module (~USD 900)
    HiFiMan RE2000 and 64 Audio U6Frequency comparisons

The U6 is my go-to monitor, so please take that into account during this comparison. For this comparison I chose to use the G1 module simply because it elevates the mid-range a little and I prefer a more mid-forward signature.

Build quality (materials) is firmly in the RE2000 favour. Its going to last for quite some time with the use of the alloys and has a better quality default cable. You'll note with my U6 that I'm now using the Linum Bax cable and thats because my 2nd 64Audio cable has broken at the 2 pin connector. I know 64Audio would have replaced it – but this time I wanted a longer lasting solution. Accessories are in the 64Audio camp with the U6 having the ADEL (or Apex) modules and ability to tune. Fit and comfort is in favour of the U6 – the ergonomic build with no edges is simply more comfortable for me. The RE2000 does again require more power with its lower sensitivity and higher impedance.

Sonically once again we see a similar pattern in the bass – with the U6 very closely aligned to the RE2000 through to the lower mid-range, and the main differences coming in the upper mid-range and lower treble. With the G1 module, the U6 has a bump in the immediate transition to upper-mids, but the U6 has less overall upper mid-range presence, and more of a peak (albeit narrow) at 7kHz which gives clarity and definition to cymbals in particular). Comparatively the RE2000 has a fuller, richer signature but also appears a little brighter up top. TheU6 because of the lesser upper-mid and lower treble emphasis actually sounds the warmer of the two. Both are also very open sounding IEMs with a great sense of staging, width and depth.

Both are extremely good sounding monitors – just with a little difference in overall tonality. The RE2000 conveys a little more emotion, or richness, or musicality to me (I know – horrible subjective terms – but that's what I personally hear). This is one of those (like the DK-3001) where value starts becoming a deciding factor. If money was no object – then ultimately I'd prefer the RE2000. But I am perfectly happy with my U6, and at half the price its difficult to justify the overall value difference in direct comparison.

HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000) vs Fidue Sirius (~USD 900)
    HiFiMan RE2000 and Fidue A91 SiriusFrequency comparisons

If there is a single IEM in this comparison series which can match the RE2000 (and to some extent pass it) in build quality, materials and aesthetics – it's Fidue's A91 Sirius. The Sirius has better overall build quality, better finishing, more accessories, better ergonomics, and better overall fit (for me personally). The Sirius, like the RE2000, has one semi-sharp edge which simply shouldn't be there – but with tip and fit management I find the Sirius can be manipulated into better comfort. Something for HiFiMan to look into is the approach from Fidue with the cables – much better quality and versatuility with the balanced and single ended options. Again the RE2000 required more power with its lower sensitivity and higher impedance.

Sonically these two are quite different. The Sirius has an internal vent which does affect bass quantity – so the bass measurement on the graph probably understates the actual worn level of sub and mid-bass. But the Sirius still sounds (in direct comparison) leaner, thinner and drier. Both have a mid-forward leaning (particularly upper-mids), but the RE2000 has better upper end extension, and for me a warmer, richer and more enjoyable total signature. I really like the Sirius – and in isolation (with a little brain burn-in) it is a signature that could be end-game for a lot of people. However when directly compared to the RE2000 its again that sense of emotion that the RE2000 conveys which would have me again disregarding price, and potentially saving for longer to achieve the much higher priced offering from HiFiMan.

HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000) vs LZ Big Dipper (~USD 860)
    HiFiMan RE2000 and LZ Big DipperFrequency comparisons

LZ's Big Dipper is a relatively new IEM on the scene, and its point of differentiation is the ability to tune the sound with on/off switches which tune bass, mids and treble for a variety of different tonal combinations. It can be purchased as low as $620 for no switches (set tonality) or up to $860 for three switches. It is a 7 driver BA IEM.

Whilst the RE2000 has the better specification permanent materials, the actual build quality on both IEMs is extremely good. Aesthetically the RE2000 probably has the edge in terms of looks – but for actual fit and ergonomics, LZ's Dipper is quite simply one of the most comfortable IEM's I've ever worn. I can't comment on accessories as the Dipper arrived to me without it's retail packaging. The RE2000's power requirements is again higher its lower sensitivity and higher impedance.

For the sonic comparison I used the +bass +mid -treble settings on the Dipper as thats my own preference (blue on the graph). I also graphed a slightly different setting (white) to show the versatility of the dipper. Sonically these two are somewhat similar. Both have a similar transition from sub and mid bass to lower mids and even somewhat similar in upper mid-range. The Dipper has a little more bump at 2 kHz, but it is minor. Both can have very similar treble disposition – but with the Dipper it comes at a cost of a peak at 9 kHz which I can find slightly sharp (hence I use the lower treble settings). In direct comparison, the difference is not so much in terms of tonality – but in terms of presentation. The Dipper is simply a little more clinical, reference, and cleanly defined – where the RE2000 is smoother, bass has a little more richness, and again that term musicality comes to mind.

The funny thing is that I actually really like both presentations, and preference depends on the mood I'm in. There is no doubt that the RE2000 has a more romantic, less clinical overall presentation – the sort that allows you to easily get lost in the music – but the Dipper can do the same. Its only in direct comparison that you listen to the Dipper and go – wow the RE2000 does this with a richness that I actually like a little better. Like I did with my U6, the Dipper is an IEM I could easily live with as close to end-game, as long as I'm directly comparing. Sonically I like the RE2000 more – but the question is whether the difference is worth more than double the price.

HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000) vs 64 Audio U10 + G1 ADEL module (~USD 1300)
    HiFiMan RE2000 and 64 Audio U10Frequency comparisons

I wanted to pit the RE2000 against the most expensive monitor I had access to – which happens to be the $1300 64 Audio U10. For this comparison I chose again to use the G1 module simply because it elevates the mid-range a little and should bring it marginally closer to the RE2000. I also want to shout out to 64Audio with my thanks. After reviewing the U10 I've asked a few times about returning it, and they seem happy for me to carry on using it for comparison – so for this they have my continued appreciation.

Build quality (materials) is again in the RE2000 favour for the same reasons I outlined with the U6. While the cable on the U10 is still in pristine condition – its more likely to be that I don't use the U10 as much (mainly for comparisons), and I expect at some stage I'll possibly need to replace it. Accessories are again in the 64Audio camp with the U10 having the ADEL (or Apex) modules and ability to tune. Fit and comfort is also in favour of the U10 – the ergonomic build with no edges is simply more comfortable for me. The RE2000 does again require more power with its lower sensitivity and higher impedance.

Like the U6, we see a similar pattern – the bass is very similar– with the U10 very closely aligned to the RE2000 through to the lower mid-range, and the main differences coming in the upper mid-range and lower treble. With the G1 module, the U10 has a bump in the immediate transition to upper-mids, but then a flattening off through the rest of the upper mid-range and lower treble. Both have excellent extension. The RE2000 has a fuller, richer signature but like the U6 also appears a little brighter up top. The U10 because of the higher bass vs lower upper-mid and lower treble emphasis sounds again the warmer of the two. Both are very open sounding IEMs with a great sense of staging, width and depth.

I'm almost reminded of the Dipper in this comparison and over the last 6 months I confess to enjoying the U10's strengths more and more each time I've spent time with it. Preference comes down to how you like your music presentation. The BA's used in the U10 give great clarity and definition, excellent overall balance, and an excellent tonality – if a little on the clinical side of the spectrum. The RE2000 is again richer, fuller and there is something about the overall timbre that just pulls you in. I can't put a finger on it – but its quite intoxicating.

Like the comparison with both the Dipper and U6 – it comes down to what you ultimately are prepared to pay for. The RE2000 has a certain je ne sais quoi which is hard to articulate but continues to draw me in. But each time I compare in one-on-one situations to other IEMs I am equally amazed by what they have to offer. A definite edge sonically to the RE2000 for me – but at the price difference, the overall value might be questionable.

VALUE

Normally I comment on value in the summary, but as there is such a big difference in pricing with some of the monitors I'm comparing, I think maybe I should delve a little more into the subjective question of value. There is no doubt that the RE2000 has sonic abilities I would put at close to end-game territory, and especially if I apply that small EQ I mentioned earlier, the RE2000 (along with the HD800S) would satisfy all my needs if I had to keep just one IEM. But at $2000 its hard to justify the difference from other monitors around the 1K mark. Yes the packaging is fancier, and yes they are gold electroplated, and obviously targeted toward a specific very discerning market. But if we look at what they should have had, the sense of true value is eroded a little. There is no balanced cable, the accessories are a little sparse overall, and the shell (despite their claims) is not truly ergonomic (close though). How to increase value for an updated model? Well for starters I'd look at the materials and shape. Maybe see if something ceramic would give similar casing stability, and this time no sharp edges, and maybe a slightly longer and possible angled nozzle. Throw in some more tip choices, and at least another cable. By shedding the gold – hopefully they could get a new model (RE1800?) down in cost to around the $1500 mark. At this level with better accessories, better fit, and similar sonic abilities – I'd pick it would be (like Campfire's Andromeda) considered class leading. And if you trimmed that upper end by about 2 dB – it'd tick my boxes (just leaving it out there).

HIFIMAN RE2000 – SUMMARY

Despite having these for only 3 weeks, its surprising when you sit down for a formal review how much you will discover in a very short amount of time. I'd have hated to try and compress the review into just a week – there is so much I would have missed.

The RE2000 is a very well built and presented IEM which has very few flaws. The build quality is very sound, and is a step up from most of the other IEMs I've seen from HiFiMan. There has been a lot of thought gone into the overall design (reading the supplied manual is quite illuminating) – but they still have some minor work/tweaks to do on overall fit and ergonomics to get it perfect (IMHO anyway). For a $2000 monitor I did find the accessories “OK” but not stellar. The addition of a balanced cable would probably go a long way to fixing this.

Sonically the RE2000 is extremely well balanced with practically everything I appreciate in a TOTL monitor. Great extension (both ends), a natural sounding bass, coherent transition though the mid-range (with strengths in both male and female vocals), and detail up top without crossing into etch or graininess. But where the RE2000 absolutely shines is in its sense of timbre and tone, the richness of both vocals and bass, and above all its sense of staging, imaging, and above all separation. I have never heard an IEM quite like it, and it comes very close to ticking all my boxes (drop the upper mids and lower treble slightly and it gets there). Whatever the new topography driver is bringing to the table – I can definitely say for me it is really working!

The RRP at around the USD 2000 mark means that this is more than most people will be able to afford, and whilst its hard to put a value on something which gets you close to perfection, I wouldn't ultimately call the RE2000 a “value” proposition. For me, $2000 should buy you perfection, and HiFiMan aren't quite there yet. They are however well along the track, and I applaud their efforts. 80% ranking for me – with most critique at the minor flaws, and the high price.

I just want to close with thanking HiFiMan and Mark for arranging the review sample.

[​IMG]
    shigzeo, pedalhead, TPSRA and 11 others like this.
    1. ostewart
      Excellent review Brooko, I would totally agree with all you have said. And it's such a pleasurable IEM to listen to, the midrange is to die for.
  5. ostewart
    "Euphoric, unique and effortless IEM's"
    Pros - Natural, very impressive soundstage, detail retrieval
    Cons - Lack of tips and strain relief
    Firstly I would like to thank Hifiman for this sample, I always try to write honest reviews. These have had well over 100hrs of burn-in, I have heard changes and recommend you burn them in fully.

Gear Used:
    Audio Opus #2 > RE2000
    Dell PC > Topping D30 > Topping A30 > RE2000
    Hifiman MegaMini > RE2000

Tech Specs:
    Frequency Response : 5Hz-20kHz
    Impedance : 60Ω
    Sensitivity : 103dB
    Earphone Weight : 0.48oz (13.8g)
    Cable Weight : 0.81oz (23g)
    MSRP : $2000

Packaging, Build Quality and Accessories:
    The RE2000 come in one hell of a luxury box, the box has an outer sleeve that says the model name, with a picture and basic specs on the back. Take the sleeve off and you have a wooden box that has a laminate coating on it, with a metal plate with the brand and model number on it. The box has a metal latch and metal hinges, once you open it you will find the accessories and the IEM’s are in the carry case. Underneath the main tray you will find additional tips and also an owner’s book which is a very elegant paperback book. The packaging is superb and the unboxing experience is first class, fitting for the price.

[​IMG]

Build quality overall is good, there are some improvements that could be made though. Finally Hifiman have included detachable cables for their flagship IEM, it has the standard 2-pin connector and has recessed sockets for these. The housings are lightweight and made of metal, the gold may not appeal to all tastes but they are well finished and not cheap feeling. The stock cable is silver plated copper, with a sturdy right angled jack with good strain relief, a slim metal y-split and chin slider. Unfortunately the cables are lacking any strain relief on the 2-pin connector which lets them down a bit, however you can easily replace the cable. Even so for $2k I would have liked a better cable with better strain relief.

Accessory wise these come with bi-flange tips pre-fitted, and another 2 pairs, they also come with 2 pairs of triple-flange tips, and also 2 pairs of Comply foam tips. Also included are ear guides for the cable, and an extra set of 2-pin connectors if you want to make your own cable for them. The IEM’s come packed in a sturdy metal case that is padded on the inside and is the perfect size for transporting these. Overall a good amount of accessories, but a few more different types of tip would be welcome.

Comfort, Isolation, Cable Noise and Driver Flex:
    The RE2000 have an odd shaped housing that is quite wide, however once fitted I did find them very comfortable for long listening sessions. With the stock tips I never got the most secure fit but the fit was good and I wasn’t worried about them falling out. All the edges are smooth on the housing, and again they are lightweight so don’t feel heavy in your ears, the cable is soft and goes over and behind the ear with ease and stays there. Maybe not perfect for sports, but for long listening and general use they are excellent.

Cable noise is not an issue, the cable is soft and goes over your ear eliminating any cable noise.

Isolation is only average on these, they have quite a large vent on them so they let some outside noise in, but do not leak badly. Fine for general use but not the best for noisy commutes.

Driver flex is not an issue, not once have I heard the drivers flex.

[​IMG]

Split into the usual categories, with a conclusion at the end, the below is based on using the stock grey bi-flange tips.

Lows: Now this is what people want, and this is something that only a dynamic driver can deliver, smooth, dynamic and punchy lows that extend right down to 20hz, and come out to play when called for. The driver in these is extremely responsive, it can keep up with the fastest metalcore, yet put on a modern pop recording at it will pulsate and deliver exquisitely textured bass. Put on some jazz you can hear the body of the double bass reverberate and deliver such realistic tonality. The thing that is most impressive about these is how they morph depending on the track in question; they stay tight and controlled if needed yet warm and full when called for. The texture, layering and tonality cannot be matched by multi BA driver IEM's.

Midrange: The midrange is pure heaven, it is lush warm and inviting, yet at the same time it manages to be crystal clear and bring out the subtlest of detail. Again during busy tracks the layering is sublime, they sound more like a full size headphone with their layering and soundstage. I have been out and about listening to these and the mids just hit you sometimes with the way they portray the emotion in vocals (Slipknot – Vermillion Pt.2). Nothing is on top of each other, you have the vocals in the centre with the other instruments surrounding them sounding totally separate, they never sound congested.

Highs: The highs manage to be soft and non-fatiguing, but without loss of extension or air. They manage to extend effortlessly, and the definition is there, each different tap of a cymbal is easily heard, yet without peaks or harshness. They are also about right in presence, without taking a back seat, they just complete the whole sound perfectly. These are all about high definition sound in a smooth package, without sacrificing the finer details and emotion.

The soundstage is the largest in an IEM I have heard (except maybe the fully open Audeze iSine series). These offer real out of head experiences, and the soundstage has width, depth and height, very impressive.

The instrument separation is also very good with an airy soundstage and excellent layering everything is kept well separate.

[​IMG]

Conclusion: Now these are $2000, and that is a lot of money, whether these are worth that is up to the person buying them. Looking at them you might not assume that they are worth the money, but just like the Final Piano Forte series, these offer a very unique sound for an IEM, especially one that seals and is good for on the go use. These are in all ways a TOTL IEM, the sound is dynamic, slightly warm, euphoric and emotional. I don’t recall any other IEM managing to evoke such emotional response from me whilst listening to certain tracks and the good thing is they play well with all genres.

So there you have it, I personally would never be able to afford these with my current job, but do I appreciate what these deliver, hell yes. They sheer dynamics of the sound, the tonality and realistic soundstage all come together to offer a natural sound that is not missing out in the technical aspects either.

These are not an IEM that impress upon first listen, they take time to appreciate.

Sound Perfection Rating - 9.5/10 (Tip selection could be better, and the cable needs strain relief)
    jgosroc, Sp12er3, pedalhead and 4 others like this.