Dunu TITAN 5

1. SirBenn21
    Dunu TITAN 5 first impressions
    Written by SirBenn21
    Published Dec 29, 2015
    Pros - Build quality, Bass Master, Detachable cables, Performs better with amplification
    Cons - Not for those who are anal about flat EQ, Does not like bad recordings.
    I’m no reviewer, but I thought I would share some of my views on my newly acquired DUNU Titan 5. My previous IEM’s had been the DUNU DN1000’s which I was very happy with even though it had a few minor flaws.

I decided to get myself a new pair of IEM’s since my DUNU DN1000’s cable looked like it was on its way out, with bare copper showing at the point where the two cables joined to make one. I had been very happy with the DN1000’s and started reading reviews on the T1, T3 and T5’s. The bass prominent T5’s seemed to be the ones for me as they would be my daily companions at work. At home I mainly have my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro’s sitting on my head. So it made sense for me to pick these up. I also love my RS1i’s which I mainly use when listening to serious music and no one is at home. My music tastes vary from Blues Rock to Classical to Jazz to Dubstep. At work I mainly listen to Podcasts and occasionally music.
    In the box

Opening the box it came with the usual bits and pieces you would expect these days with decent IEM’s. The one thing that did stand out for me was the ear piece stabilizers. A first for me. Inspecting the IEM’s the first thing I notice was the cable was much more supple that my DN1000’s. No more trying to straighten the cables on a cold day before use - Yay. The cables are detachable and seemed quite loose. I must admit that these are my first pair that has this feature, so maybe this is normal. The ear pieces looked pretty well build with a few design improvements which was another plus. The Rubber tips always seemed to slip off my DN1000’s. The T5 design seems far superior. The only difference is that they are more bulky and ever so slightly heavier than my DN1000.
    The fit is also much more secure and I found them quite comfortable at first, but after about 4 hours of continued use my ears ached a little. I fitted the stabilizers as some have indicated that this has helped and it did to some degree for me. I’ll have to experiment to see what I need to do to make it more comfortable. I understand that we all have different shapes and size ears and it must be difficult to get that “universal” fit.

The Sound

The first time I fired these up directly from my iPod I was actually surprised at the sound. The first thing that came in to my mind was a top heavy body builder. The Bass and sub bass was just what I wanted and maybe a little more. Fast with good presence, but not overly done. The bass never distorts and give a deep rich sound. The mids seemed a bit thin and the highs was verging on sibilant. But after a few hours everything settled down and became much more enjoyable (balanced). The mids filled out and the highs lost the “sparklyness”.
    I have recently hooked these up to my Audiolab MDAC and I was blown away by the improvement in all areas. WOW

I urge readers of this review to rather read other reviewers impressions of the sound as I’m not all that good at articulating these impressions very well.
    What I can say is that I really am enjoying these. It’s a definite upgrade from my DN1000. It a little bass colored, but that’s what I love about them. I give them a BIG two thumbs up!
    1. delmonte
      How are the detail, separation, and imaging on these compared to the DN1000? An upgrade in those regards as well?
      delmonte, Jan 26, 2016
    2. SirBenn21
      All really good and all an improvement from the DN1000.
      SirBenn21, Mar 27, 2016
  2. avitron142
    Kept the good of the Titan 1, and upgraded the rest.
    Written by avitron142
    Published Dec 5, 2015
    Pros - Very firm removable cable, Nice bass-oriented sound signature, Fit and comfort, Design (classy), Isolation, Great build quality, NO microphonics.
    Cons - Not meant for the neutral listener, lack of foam/bi-flange tips, non-univeral MMCX connector, clasp-operated case, average isolation.
    Introduction:

Most of you reading this review know of DUNU’s products already, so I’ll keep this short. DUNU has been making IEM’s (in ear monitors – basically in ear headphones) for a while, and their products have been absolutely fantastic every time. While the word “fantastic” and “great” have been overused in many reviews (even when the product is just alright), DUNU separates itself from the rest of the crowd with the sound quality and ease of use of the headphones they provide.

The last two of DUNU’s headphones I reviewed, the Titan 1 and current flagship DN-2000J, absolutely smashed it out of the park. The DN-2000J, for one, was technically capable of a lot more than the price suggested, and coming in to the review, I really wasn’t expecting that level of sound quality. Coupled with great fit/comfort, good isolation, and nice build quality, the DN-2000J was more than a winner for me.

The Titan 1 had a much lower price tag, but still surprised me with its usability and its smooth, open sound. Due to the Titan 1’s half-open design, soundstage was much larger than other IEM’s, at the expense of some isolation. However, this proved to me that DUNU was willing to be creative, and try something new. Even in relatively unexplored territory, they still managed to do really well.

The Titan 1 received a lot of great feedback from reviewers, and its unique shape was a success when it came to fit and comfort. Keeping that in mind, the Titan 3 and Titan 5 are the same exact shape, resting on the central part of your ear instead of inside your ear canal. The Titan 3 and Titan 5 also aimed to improve isolation, which unavoidably wasn’t so great on the Titan 1. The last physical change was the inclusion of removable cables on the Titan 3 and 5, which is new to Dunu IEM’s – while the build quality of their previous headphones were excellent, some people were worried that the cable might break, so Dunu responded by making them removable as well.

One thing is for certain – Dunu pays a lot of attention at the criticism they receive, and uses it to make the next product better. Although many companies do this to varying degrees, I haven’t seen too many of them really go the extra mile to please their customers – Dunu’s inclusion of removable cables was something I didn’t think I would see (because of the enormous amount of work involved), and the improvement in isolation was great to see too. It’s obvious Dunu is willing to do whatever they can to make it work – and even go out of their comfort zone to get things done.

Packaging:

The Titan 5’s comes in the same type of box as the Titan 1 and Titan 3. The box itself is of a stealthy black color, which also feels well made. It opens with a magnetic flap, and has more information in both English and Chinese about the Titan 5’s specific attributes. Unlike other headphone boxes, Dunu’s are entirely reusable, and are an efficient way to store your headphones if you wish. On the back, like the Titan 1’s box, it says a few things about the Titan 5’s, as well as the accessories it comes with. Opening up the second flap, we see the Titan 5, some of the ear tips, and the carrying case.

Dunu hasn’t changed the packaging much, if any at all. However, in my opinion, they don’t need to. The reusable box, build quality, and large amount of information about the Titan 5 on the inside of the first flap, make it a winner for me every time. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right? [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------
    DSCN4378.jpg DSCN4393.jpg DSCN4379.jpg DSCN4394.jpg DSCN4424.jpg DSCN4397.jpg DSCN4398.jpg DSCN4404.jpg DSCN4408.jpg DSCN4403.jpg DSCN4422.jpg

Accessories:

The accessories that come with the Titan 5 are slightly different than those of the Titan 1. Here’s the breakdown:

Let’s start with the tips. Like the Titan 1, there’s 3 pairs of translucent gray tips (small, medium, and large), and 3 pairs of Sony Hybrid-like tips. Unlike the Titan 1 though, the Titan 5 does not come with tips with a larger nozzle size. Personally, I prefer the regular nozzle size, so to me, this isn’t much of a loss.

I noted by the Titan 1 that despite the wide arrangements of tips, I would have like either some bi/tri-flanged tips, or a pair of Comply foam ear tips. The only differences I noticed between the two sets was their aesthetics and cap firmness.

Again, though, for future products, I would love to see bi-flange and tri-flange tips, or foam tips, instead of only silicone eartips. Although some customers have their preferred tips on hand, many don’t, and providing a wider variety of tips would go a long way. Many companies have also started including foam and bi-flanged tips, so soon it may very well become the standard.

One new accessory I’m very happy about is the set of ear stabilizers – they will come in handy for those who feel that IEM’s always fall out of their ears. However, as I’ll soon say in the fit/comfort section, the fit of the Titan 5 is as good as they come, so I doubt you’ll even need to use them. Great that they’re there though, and definitely a step in the right direction. There’s also the standard shirt clip and 6.35mm headphone jack converter, which was uncluded with the T1 as well.

The case is the same as the one that comes with the Titan 1 – it’s made of plastic, and small enough to be pocket able. It’s a clasp-operated case, but I usually end up leaning towards zipper cases. Zipper cases seem to last a lot longer in my experiences, and clasp-operated cases have a tendency to pop open, which makes it easy to lose what’s inside if you’re not careful – especially on the bus or train, where movement isn’t as stable.. While DUNU got the size and form factor right, and I applaud them for that, like I said last time, I’d recommend to make it even better in the future by providing a zipper case instead.

-----------------------------------------------------
    DSCN4409.jpg DSCN4412.jpg DSCN4413.jpg DSCN4416.jpg DSCN4414.jpg DSCN4417.jpg DSCN4418.jpg DSCN4419.jpg DSCN4426.jpg

Build Quality & Design:

The Titan 5’s housing is constructed from metal, although it seems a little different than metal housing of the Titan 1. They are both very well made, though the Titan 5 is more polished than the Titan 1. One thing I noticed is that the Titan 5 is longer than the T1, probably due to the removable cable. The T5 still stays quite light, although it is heavier than the T1. When worn, the extra weight isn’t noticeable - the only time you would realize the difference is when carrying the T5.

Another difference between the two is the amount of vents on the inside of the housing. The T1, as you know, has a half-open design, which results in a larger soundstage, among other things. The secret to this was the large number of vents not only on the nozzle, but on the housing as well. The T5 only has one vent on the inner-side of the shell – resulting in a conventional design, increasing soundstage, and decreasing sound leakage by a large amount.

The T5 has a “5” on the back of the shell – which is the only distinction between the Titan 3 and Titan 5. While the implementation of the number is good, I sort of wish that the number font was a bit less cheesy; the font is similar to those used by Nascar, and I do think that a straight font, un-italicized, would look much better. Again, it’s a preference sort of thing, and I have a feeling most people won’t be too worried about this, so such a small thing shouldn’t be such a big deal.

Moving on to the connectors, it’s much sturdier than I thought it would be. I spent a nice amount of time with the Westone W40, which costs about four times the price of the T5, and I was always worried about the connector breaking from being loose. With the T5, it doesn’t budge – something I’m extremely happy about. There is also a nice amount of strain relief, which is something that may not be necessary but is well appreciated. For their first time with removable cables, it seems DUNU did a great job on the build quality of this one.

The T5 sports a MMCX connector, although I’m pretty sure they achieved the connector strength by using a slightly longer connector length. Although I haven’t tried any other cables with it, it might be a pain to find an after-market cable that fits the Titan, due to the non-universal connector on the T5.

The cable itself is well-made – not springy, but it doesn’t feel cheap either. It feels a little bit stronger than the T1 cable, but the differences are slight and it’s tough to tell which one is actually better. Later on, I’ll briefly discuss the microphonics, and the lack of a woven cable greatly contributes towards the success the T5 has in that category.

They Y-split is made of metal, and is jet black, unlike the T1’s sliver Y-split. It also appears to be even better made than the one on the T1 – and the T1 already was great in that aspect. There’s a nice stress relief leading up to the split, and overall it seems well done – it really adds to both the design aesthetics and build quality. The T5 has a right-angled 3.5mm jack just like the T1 – the jack is extremely well made, like its predecessor’s, and there is, again, a really good amount of stress relief. The only difference between the jacks on the two models is the color – the T5 sports a more classy black, while the T1’s jack is silver.

So all in all, the T5 definitely improves on the T1 when it comes to design, and the removable cable is a lovely addition too. I just wish Dunu could have made the connector as a standard MMCX model, so most after-market cables would fit. As it stands though, the connector is extremely solid, much more so than those of other headphones I’ve tried. The design of the T5 is also much classier, with the slight exception of the number font on the back of the shell. The T5 also leaves out the red/blue color-coded bands I liked so much with the T1. Why they left them out, I’m not sure – it gave the T1 a different look that always felt unique. Without them, the earpieces look a little… generic to me. Other than that small caveat, though, it looks really great. Dunu really did a great job here.

-----------------------------------------------------
    P1020194.jpg   P1020195.jpg   P1020196.jpg   P1020197.jpg   P1020198.jpg   P1020199.jpg   P1020200.jpg   P1020201.jpg   P1020202.jpg   P1020203.jpg   P1020204.jpg   P1020205.jpg   P1020206.jpg   P1020207.jpg   P1020208.jpg   P1020209.jpg   P1020210.jpg   P1020211.jpg   P1020212.jpg   P1020213.jpg   P1020214.jpg   P1020215.jpg

Fit & Comfort:

Here in the U.S., we have a saying, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Dunu clearly went this route – the comfort and fit of the T5 is as great as the T1, which, if you haven’t tried the predecessor, is very, very good. The fit of the Titan series is relaxed, and unobtrusive – only the tip sits in your ear canal, while the rest sits on the outer ear. The fit is more shallow than other IEM’s I’ve tried, which makes long-term listening easy for me, but does have only average isolation as the cost.

The ear stabilizers provide even better fit for those who feel the fit is too shallow. For those who were wondering, the T5 works well both regularly worn, and over the ear; the stabilizers work both ways. You do have to switch earpieces to achieve the over-the-ear fit though, and some (like me) are a stickler for L/R sounds coming the way they are supposed to. However, it’s a nice option, and it does stay comfortable for me both ways.

The comfort is also as great as the T1’s. Because of the shallow fit, my ears have a little more “breathing room”, without sound leaking out . The T5 doesn’t have any foam or bi-flange tips, and I hope they can be included in future models. The default tips are quite comfortable though, and I’m happy with them.

Microphonics:

Another step up from the T1 is the microphonics – I cannot hear any noise whatsoever when tapping below the Y-split, and even above the Y-split there is very minimal noise – ranking the T5 as one of the best IEM’s I’ve tried for negligible microphonics. One of my chief complaints of the T1 was the above-average microphonics – the T5 went in the complete opposite direction, making it a great workout or running IEM. With the included shirt clip, there is even less noise. I’ve never had an IEM excel so much in this category.

So, the sound. The T3 and T5 mainly differ in this respect; the T5 went for a more bass-beefy signature, for those who listen to EDM, Rock, or a variety of other genres that benefit from a good extended bass.

Before I go any further, I’d like to point out that I’ve listen to both of these amazing IEM’s for about 3 weeks now – for those complaining about reviewers spending too little time with samples before they write on them. I’d like to say that my opinion on the T5’s sound has, in fact, stayed the same over the course of these few weeks, so I’m not sure what “brain burn-in” I was supposed to have. Regardless, I thought I should put it out there.

Bass is heavier than neutral on the T5. Neutral lovers will probably find it a bit too unbalanced, so it’s important coming into this review that the T5 was not meant for the analytical or classical listeners. The bass is geared to those leaning towards the “basshead” category, although some average Joe like me (who hasn’t had too much basshead training) also appreciates the lower end on bassy songs. Elevated bass, yes, but not enough to take over the rest of the frequency.

However, I would not call these a balanced IEM in the true sense of the word. The bass does not bleed into the mids, and clarity is surprisingly good for a bass oriented IEM, but balanced these are not. In all honestly though, the fun signature this IEM provides is something I do like on a daily basis with many songs I listen to.

Mids are nice, vocals sound a bit “compressed” of sorts. If you’re a vocal fanatic, you’re probably reading the wrong review – the T3 is the model that excels with that category. However, for the sound signature, the T5 does pretty well with most vocals. The compression I talked earlier is probably due to the slight U-shaped signature of the T5, but the clarity isn’t as compromised as recessed. The vocals are slightly fatiguing to me, and I wouldn’t use these as my main vocal IEM. Mids other than vocals (piano and guitar, for example) are nice, although also slightly recessed and a bit fatiguing. Guitars get a bit too much help from the lower end, at least more than I’m used to.

Highs aren’t bright to me actually. Lindsey Stirling’s songs are surprisingly a bit tamer than I expected. I don’t think there is enough “air” in the highs to make it bright. This causes the T5 to lean to a *slightly* darker type of sound, although they aren’t anywhere near enough for me to call it dark in good conscience. Flutes follow the same pattern, neutral except for the slight lack of airiness.

Because of this, I’m not sure which category to place it in. They aren’t U or V-shaped, as the highs aren’t elevated, but are leaning towards a bassy and slightly darker signature.

Detail is much better than other bass oriented IEM’s I’ve tried for the mids and highs. The amount of the detail in the bass is also very decent, but it takes a bit of a backseat to the quantity.

Clarity is really, really good for this type of headphone – if you’re wondering why a bass IEM has such a price tag, know that the quality of the sound is not compromised by the sound signature. The clarity helps a nice amount with that.

So overall, if you know what sound signature the T5 is going for ahead of buying it, and like the particular said signature, you’re in for a really good bass-oriented IEM that excels with many more genres than it’s geared for. Even classical music and vocals, which I thought it would do horribly with, are very enjoyable, even with the opposite type of sound signature. If you have a preference for songs that have a nice bass amount, the T5 will excel for you. And for when you’re not listening to heavy metal, and decide to listen to Bach and Beethoven, the T5 doesn’t compromise as much as you would think.

Recommendations:

- The inclusion of the stabilizers in the accessories is very welcome. I do wish there were more different types of ear tips though, specifically a pair of foam and bi-flange ones.

- The connector seems somewhat different than the standard one. I understand this makes it much stronger, and I’m surprised by the stability of the connectors. Really, well done – I can’t emphasize this enough. If you can find a way to do this with the standard MMCX connector, it would be even better – this way, replacing the cable would be relatively painless.

- I’m not sure why the red/blue bands were removed. I personally like them, and feel without them, the IEM feels a bit generic. I understand Brooko thinks this is a smart move, but I’d have to disagree (?), for over the ear, just keep in mind to switch the colors. If this was done to keep down budget costs, I completely understand, and it’s in no way a deal breaker. No sweat on this one.

- If you could un-italicize the “5” on the back of the IEM, I think it would look even better, and more official. This is only my opinion though, and just a recommendation.

- A zipper case, instead of a clasp-operated one, would be fantastic. The ones Brainwavz uses is a great example, and much more useful to me.

- Maybe an extra cable to be included? This is definitely not necessary, but would be so appreciated by consumers, I can’t help but to add it in.

Conclusion:

“Is the Titan 5 a step up from the T1?” many of you are probably asking. And the answer is yes. Besides for the sturdy removable cable, which already makes it a worthy upgrade, the sound signature, for those looking for that general curve, is among the best I’ve heard, and definitely the best in this price range. The amount of detail is also upped from the T1, due to the closed design, as well as the isolation.

I do think that at ~$120, the T5 is at a very competitive price point. However, it excels at its sound signature, and is a solid choice for an overall blend of great characteristics. Build Quality? Check, in full force. Fit and Comfort? Absolutely fantastic. Micorphonics? Near to none. The sound? Great with many genres, excels at quite a few.

So yes, it’s very much worth the money in my opinion. DUNU is great at making sure there are no flaws, and I really have to nitpick before I can complain about the “5” on the back of the headphone – that’s how good they end up being. Most IEM’s you’ll hear of have a tendency to have a “it’s great, but…” - the T5 has no real “but”. End of story.

So that’s it! The Titan 5 is a really awesome headphone, and I really enjoyed reviewing it. While I didn’t have to buy it, I’m sure those who do won’t be disappointed. Enjoy!

P1020194.jpg
  3. mark2410
    DUNU TITAN 5 Quick Review by mark2410
    Written by mark2410
    Published May 2, 2016
    Pros - First rate sound quality. Staging and scale are epic.
    Cons - Negligible Isolation. That lower treble peak. Its siblings exist.
    DUNU TITAN 5 Quick Review

Thanks to DUNU for the sample.

Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/806906/dunu-titan-5-review-by-mark2410

Brief:  DUNU have triplets.

Price:  £95 or US$140

Specification:  Driver: 13 mm Titianium drivers, Frequency Response: 10 Hz- 40KHz, Sound pressure level: 108 +/- 2 dB, Impedance: 32 Ohm, Plug Size: 3.5 gold-plated plug, Cord length: 1.2m

Accessories:  1 X case, 1 X 3.5mm to 6.3mm audio adapter, 1 X shirt clip, 6 pairs of silicon tips

Build Quality:  Very nice.  The buds are CNC’ed metal, the cable is removable from the beds and thusly replaceable if you kill it.  The cable feels alright, very light and flexible and the jack is metal as usual.  It’s a rather nice package.

Isolation:  Well it’s a very open IEM, hence the isolation it offers is very slight.  If you want isolation then this isn’t for you.

Comfort/Fit:  For me great.  I mostly wore them up which worked fine by swapping right and left.  With that done I was happy to wear all day.  Worn down I found their shallow fit made them regularly tugging and being distracting.

Aesthetics:  They look pretty good I think.  Nothing amazing but still quite nice.

Sound:  Well the meat of thing, they sound pretty damn fantastic.  Seriously they are wow for an IEM, the air, the scale, the airiness, the detail levels are all crazy.  No question the TITAN 5 is amazingly good.  The problem is its slight V shape sound isn’t really the best suited to their abilities and thus I constantly think the 1 and 3 are what I’d go with.  It’s a shame really for the 5 as they are great.  The bass is a big full bodied affair, so clean and sculpted yet willing to rise up at a moment’s notice.  The treble is a little less well behaved.  When pushed its upper mid / lower treble range want to get a little bit excitable and “assertive.”  It will leap out and scream at you a little.  The mids, clean, open and highly detailed.  They really are a breathy wonder in their own right, they really are.  Trouble is I’d pick the 1 or the 3 over the 5 in pretty much every situation I can think of.  The range shows the driver which I’m sure they all share is freakishly good but the tuning here, these want to be proper audiophile IEM’s and the tuning I can’t see appealing to hard core audiophiles.  On the other side I can’t see it being as dramatically V shaped as might make it more popular with the masses.  It feels a little bit like its sitting in a room by itself, not quite one thing nor the other.

So the Titan 5 is a great IEM, it’s just its siblings are every bit as capable but with preferable sound signatures.

Value:  Excellent.  The sound quality and capabilities for their price you get a bargain just like everything with DUNU stamped on it has been.

Pro’s:  First rate sound quality.  Staging and scale are epic.

Con’s:  Negligible Isolation.  That lower treble peak.  Its siblings exist.
      jinxy245 likes this.
  4. BlackUser
    Fun and Dynamic Star
    Written by BlackUser
    Published Apr 24, 2016
    Pros - Great bass impact, fun and dynamic with good detail, good build quality and accessories
    Cons - Lower treble may be too sharp for some people and songs, slighty veiled on lower midrange, heavy earpiece

Introduction

This is my 4th experience with Dunu product. My 1st experience was Dunu Trident,which has excellent value for money in entry level market and I was really impressed. Then I tried Dunu hybrid driver, DN-1000, which surprisingly has enjoyable good sound and has no coherence issue (at that time, I could't enjoy some hybrid IEM because in my ears those dynamic and BA sound doesn't "blend" together. And the last I tried Fiio EX1, which has very spacious and airy soundstage, but has "unique" sound that maybe can't be accepted by some people.
    Now Dunu Titan 5 is in my ears, and I will share my honest impression about it. Retail price when I write this review (April 2016) is about USD $139

Review

Technical Specification
    Model no : TITAN 5
    Type : dyamic 13mm driver
    F-response : 10Hz-40kHz
    SPL : 108dB
    Impedance : 32 Ohm
    Plug : 3.5mm gold plated (L-shaped)
    Cord length : 1.2m
    Weight : 24g

Retail Package
    Titan 5 comes with big black box that gives you premium and expensive feeling - as always from Dunu product. I really like how Dunu designed the front side of the box : simple picture of Titan 5 with good combination of black and silver colour plus Hi-Res audio logo on top corner, leaving "premium serious audiophile product" impression to anyone who buy it.
    dus1.jpg
    The box has 2 opening door mechanism before you can find Titan 5 lies inside the box. There are some description about Titan 5 and it's technology on each door (once again : leaving "premium serious audiophile product" impression to anyone who buy it)
    dus3.jpg
    What is inside the box? Here it is :
    1. Dunu Titan 5 IEM
    2. Silicon ear stabilizer
    3. Plug converter 3,5mm to 6,3mm
    4. two set of silicone eartips : Dunu eartips and Sony eartips (S/M/L each)
    5. Hard plastic carrying case
    6. Warranty card
    20160301_144227.jpg
    Yes, Dunu gives you more than enough accessories inside. There are two type of silicone eartips, but in my opinion it will be better if Dunu give more than S/M/L size of silicone tips or add foam tips rather than gives two set of different silicone eartips with same size. Silicone earstabilizer really does it's job, since Titan 5 earpiece is slighty heavy, it help Titan 5 to sit comfortably in your ear. The carrying case has good black elegant design, with doff finishing on the side, matt rubber on the bottom, and glossy fingerprint magnet on the top. Nothing wrong with design and quality of this carrying case, but the only complain from me is the size. You can put Titan 5 inside the case, but there may be no space for spare eartips or other accessories.
    20160226_162922.jpg

Design, Build Quality, and Comfort
    Titan 5 comes with half in-ear design. Shell made by polished shining metal that gives not only strong, robust, and premium feeling, but also slighty heavy and fingerprint/oil traces magnet.Build quality is very good, there's no sharp metal edge or inconsistent gap between shell panel.
    20160223_131450.jpg

Look how good Titan 5's build quality is. Even in nozzle small detail, there's no sharp metal edge, all the things are very tidy and neat. There's only one vent on each earpiece (Fiio EX1 has more than 5 vents). Soundstage will less spacious and airy?
    20160223_132048.jpg

Titan 5 comes with detachable cable with MMCX cable. Connector is very rigid, slighty hard to remove the cable, but the positive things is this connector will be durable. Unfortunately, this MMCX pin slighty different from Shure's, so aftermarket cable availability will be limited. Maybe Dunu can sell upgraded cable or cable with mic for Titan 5.
    20160223_133444.jpg

Talks about cable, Titan 5 cable has small microphonic cable and will not leaves tangled traces. I like all features on it's cable : shirt clip + chin slider + build in rubber cable strap. I hope all consumer IEM in the world has those features. L-shape 3,5mm plug has slim profile, so if you use extra case for your DAP or smartphone, Titan 5 still can plug properly to female jack.
    20160223_132617.jpg

How about comfort and isolation? I haven't comfort issue with Titan 5. It can easily fit and get proper isolation in my ear using Sony tips. Earpieces feels slight heavy and sometimes easily get off from my ears when I actively moved. But don't worry, earstabilizer really helps solve that problem.
    We can't expect very good isolation from half in-ear design, so does Titan 5. Isolation not so good, if I use it in public place like train station, noise from outside interference my music, but offcourse not as bad as earbuds or openback headphone.
    kuping3.jpg

My primary setup : Lenovo notebook (Foobar2000 player, ASIO out) + centrance dacport dac/amp
    Other setup : AK240, Xduoo X2, Samsung Galaxy S4
    I use Sony Hybrid eartips without earstabilizer for this review
    danang.jpg

Titan 5 main signature is V-shaped, has great bass impact while maintain balance with mid and crispy high.

Bass
    Titan 5 gives good amount off bass, just one strip below basshead level. Bass impact is great, it has good punch, deep, dynamic, and hard-hitting while maintain clean and rarely bleed to other freq. Bass has good extension, I don't feel low freq is roll off early. Sub bass amount is decent, I can hear subbass rumble in some EDM tracks. Bass speed is good, but isn't tight enough for double pedal drum like in metal tracks. As long as not for fast double pedal tracks, I think mostly people will like deep, punchy, dynamic, and impactfull bass offered by Titan 5.

Midrange
    V-shaped soundsig makes Titan 5's midrange slighty recessed. Just "slighty", midrange doesn't feel far back or lacking. I like midrange timbre on Titan 5, feels clean and natural with good weight. Midrange also feels smooth, there's no fatiguing peak on uppermid. But sometimes I feel lower midrange is slighty veiled, makes some instrument and male vocal not as open as I like and usually hear. Different from male vocal, female vocal on Titan 5 feels open and has enough sweetness, and sibilance always keep in safe level.

High
    Titan 5 has good crispy treble with good extension, but not as good as fiio EX1. Cymbal crashes has good timbre, detail, and texture with "right" short decay, really like this presentation. But unfortunatelly, sometimes I annoyed with sharp lower treble. On some tracks, it makes fatigue, and I have to lower the volume level because of this.

Soundstage
    Titan 5 has above average soundstage, and has nice balance between width, height, and depth which gives good 3D feeling. Instrument placement and layer also good enough for this price. Compared to Fiio EX1, Titan 5 has better depth but not as spacious and airy as EX1.

Separation and Detail
    Separation is good, I can clearly distinguish sound of each instrument, although not as good as some BA on it's price range. Detail level is also on good level, but doesn't make overall sound become clinical. I can enjoy combination of fun dynamic sound with good detail and separation offered by Titan 5 for hours.

Conclusion

Dunu Titan 5 gives you fun and dynamic sound while maintain good level of separation and detail. It less "unique" and more "mainstream sound" compared to EX1, but also makes Titan 5 more easy to listen and accepted by many people. Sharp lower treble may be dealbreaker for some people, but offcourse it depends on your songs and setup.
    USD $139 for Titan 5? In my opinion, it's price to performance ratio isn't stunning, but still in good level. If you looking for fun and dynamic IEM and also want good detail, Titan 5 must be in your consideration list.

----edited for fixing pictures-----
      archdawg likes this.
  5. B9Scrambler
    Dunu Titan 5: A Mighty Titan
    Written by B9Scrambler
    Published Dec 22, 2015
    Pros - Very refined - Deep bass - Makes for a great travel companion
    Cons - Too smooth = a bit dull
    Greetings Head-fi!

Today we are going to check out the Titan 5, one of two new additions to Dunu's Titan lineup. I want to thank @nmatheis for starting the Canadian leg of the Titan tour, and for @hakushondaimao for getting this awesome iem over to me for the week. Let's kick this off!

Back when the Titan 1 was first announced, my ears perked up and I took notice; half in-ear design, large titanium coated 13mm driver, from a company with a great reputation, and a well-rounded accessory kit. It looked like a winner. Once reviews started rolling in it was clear Dunu had struck gold once again. I scooped up a pair during a Massdrop push earlier this year and they instantly became one of my favorite earphones.

DSCN0186.jpg      DSCN0191.jpg     DSCN0189.jpg

Build, Accessories, Comfort:

As with the Titan 1, Dunu provides Titan 5 buyers with a slew of high quality accessories. Upon opening the smartly designed package you are greeted by the Titan housings and the first of many accessories; some Heir style red-cored tips (s/m/l) and one of Dunu's stellar hard cases. Inside the case you find most of the remaining accessories; a 3.5 to 6.3 mm gold-plated adapter, an additional set of Sony Hybrid tips, and the newest addition to the Titan arsenal, silicone earguides! A shirt clip comes pre-installed on the cable. One thing Dunu has always done well is provide a generous amount of accessories with their earphones, and the Titan series does not disappoint. You are sure to find a tip to fit your ear, and once you do, sweetness ensues.

Build quality is excellent, just as it was on the original Titan. The housings are crafted from aluminum and feature a shallow fit, half in-ear design. The Titan 1 has 11 pin-hole vents on the underside of the housing and one above where the cable attaches. This sacrificed isolation for soundstage but was arguably worth it for the airy and spacious sound. The new Titans give up some of that obscene soundstage (the 5 less so than the 3) to improve isolation and as a result are more conservative in their ventilation. There are only two pin-hole vents, one on the underside facing your ear and one above where the cable attaches.

The Titan 5 is a bit bulkier and heavier than the Titan 1, but Dunu listened to their fans to give what many wanted from the Titan 1. The Titan 5 features a detachable cable with a modified MMCX connector. As a necessary evil to accommodate this feature the top section of the housing is fair bit thicker, thought you could argue this is a plus since it gives you a nice handhold with which to grab the earphone. Now that there are detachable cables, you can wear them cable over ear without having to swap channels, even though I did anyways. These were a loaner so I didn't feel comfortable detaching the cables...just in case. Overall comfort has improved in my opinion, despite the extra weight. This is due to a very subtle but welcome change to the housing. The Titan 1 was a little sharp around the edges and had a tendency to irritate the ears of some owners. Run your finger across the new Titans and you will find these edges have been rounded off. Hopefully this minor change carries over to the Titan 1.

While overall I feel they are a well-designed product, there are a couple things to mention. First, I'm a little bummed out that Dunu ditched the colored rings on the housing. While it's very easy to differentiate the channels due to the very nature of the design, being color-coded made at-a-glance channel recognition immediate. Plus, it looked nice. Second, I'm not so keen on the cable choice. I like that it has been thickened above the y-split and is now more plush, but it is no longer cloth between the y-split and straight jack. While normally I'm not a huge fan of a partial cloth cable, Dunu did a great job with it on the the Titan 1 and I'm a little disappointed it didn't carry over to the 3 and 5. At least the cable is still well-relieved. I'm looking forward to see what Dunu's upgraded cables bring to the table in the near future.

DSCN0190.jpg      DSCN0182.jpg      DSCN0210.jpg

Sound Quality:

Gear used: HTC One M8 with Topping NX1
    Tips: Sony Hybrid (L)

Some specifications for those who like to know.

1. Driver: 13mm dynamic
    2. Stainless steel housing
    3. Frequency response: 10Hz-40KHz
    4. Sound pressure level: 108 ± 2dB
    5. Impedance: 32Ω

Having access to the entire Titan lineup for the purposes of this review was very handy for putting each model into perspective with one another.

I found the Titan 5 to offer up a warm and smooth v-shape. They are very polite and inoffensive, usually. On some tracks I found them them a little peaky, bordering on uncomfortable (such as on Arkade's CID "Like This") but this was an exception. This came as a bit of a surprise since I'm generally not overly sensitive to treble-heavy iems and didn't run into this problem with the Titan 3. Maybe it's because I had the mid-forward Titan 3 on hand for direct comparison, but mids on the Titan 5 came across as pretty recessed. It's one of the few earphones I would used the word "scooped" to describe. I found myself constantly raising the volume to bring vocals up to a listenable level. Despite the changes to the design that greatly improved isolation, the soundstage on the Titan 5 is still very spacious, second to the Titan 1. I found the Titan 1 was a little vague when it came to imaging and accuracy (esp. compared to the FXH30). The Titan 5 felt significantly improved in these aspects.

The 5 really just seemed to lack any sense of energy and urgency, and as a result I wanted to swap over to the Titan 1 or 3 anytime they were in use. Their rumbling bass line was just to prevalent at all times. Output from the NX1 helped a bit, but something was still missing. They are a great sounding earphone, no doubt, but they just didn't click with me.

Vs. Titan 1

The Titan 5 dials back the mids, boosts the bass, and adds a welcome dose of refinement across the entire spectrum. I found the Titan 5 to be a heavier sounding earphone, and as a result not quite as snappy as the Titan 1. They are certainly more forgiving of lower quality files however, and with a combination of boosted bass and improved isolation are easily the better of the two for mobile use.

Vs. Titan 3

The Titan 3 concentrates it's energy and shoves it through your ear canal. The Titan 5 disperses this energy across a rumbling bassline and delivers it in smooth waves to your brain. While I prefer the Titan 3's more aggressive presentation, it's hard to argue against the Titan 5 being the more relaxed, comfortable, and versatile listen. While the Titan 3 is easier to drive from the average smartphone, the added bass of the Titan 5 makes them the best of the Titans for mobile use.

Overall Thoughts:

While I liked the Titan 5 and can see them garnering a solid fan bass, they just weren't the Titan for me. They offer up a very smooth and refined sound, I love the way they present bass, and they maintain most of the spaciousness of the Titan 1. They just come across as a little safe, and dare I say dull, compared to their Titan 1 and Titan 3 stablemates. Awesome earphone, just not the Titan for me.

Thanks for reading!

- B9Scrambler

Some Test Albums:

BT - This Binary Universe
    The Uncluded - Hokey Fright (definitely an experience)
    Supertramp - Crime of the Century
    Evil Nine - They Live
    Aesop Rock - Daylight EP
    Gramatik - The Edge of Reason
    Infected Mushroom - The Legend of the Black Shawarma
    King Crimson - Red
    Warlock - Triumph and Agony
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine
    Hail Mary Mallon - Are You Gonna Eat That?
    Rob Sonic - Alice in Thunderdome
      archdawg likes this.
  6. Hifihedgehog
    From TITAN to TITANIC: A Positively Splendid Step Up from a High Hitting Beginning
    Written by Hifihedgehog
    Published May 17, 2016
    Pros - Natural and fast moving midrange; smooth and articulate across the spectrum; rock solid build quality
    Cons - Lacks the last bit of upper treble definition; very slight upper bass bleed into the lower midrange
    DUNU is an inspiration in the world of earphones, a company having come out of relative obscurity and gained a name for itself with its value-packed, trend-setting IEMs, notably the TITAN 1, that compete with products costing hundreds more from manufacturers with decades in the industry. DUNU's product line is the sort of David and Goliath story that is the win-win that we all long for because it drives competition and lowers pricing, it forces the old guard to stay on their toes and up their game, and it makes for sweeping reviews and active discussions.

But between every battle, there are skirmishes, for every tock on the clock, there is a tick, and following every major breakthrough, there are subtle improvements. Along these lines, DUNU's TITAN 5 is a minor collection of tweaks to an already phenomenal product, the TITAN 1, making for an instant easily recommendable successor.

For starters, the same build quality you knew and loved about the original TITAN 1 is here to stay with added improvements that in no way detract from former glory. The same polished and utilitarian, rigid and rugged stainless steel housings now feature detactable cables making cable replacements and upgrades a snap.

The TITAN 5's spectular sound quality, also the hallmark of the TITAN 1, is both an upgrade and yet also a side-grade. While its familar-and-yet-improved sound eliminates and straightens out the very slight aberrations and edginess of its predecessor, the TITAN 5's sound signature is warmer and more musical. This is the IEM equivalent of the HD 650 coming from the HD 600.

In particular, you will notice smoother, less forced transitions from bass to midrange to treble resulting in a more natural, unified sound as a whole. Dynamics and detail stand out because, for example, the heft of a bassdrum kick is followed by its hum and rattle in its drum casing without jarring distortion and undue emphasis.

If I were to nitpick, the upper bass does bleed ever so slightly into the midrange. In head-to-head comparisons, even my Denon AH-D5000 that has a penchant for bass impact is less obtrusive--but the Denons are not bass monsters as some reviewers historically miscategorized them. The uppermost treble could do with a teeny bit extra shine and sparkle to make the projection of vocals more airy and the outlines of instruments more discernible. But the overall sound is so close to perfect that there is still excellent bite and definition for everyone but the most sizzle thirsting of treble heads and detail mongers.

Make no mistake: the TITAN 5 has not taken a step back but is TITANIC compared to the likes of competing products from Etymotic, Shure, and Ultimate Ear and many others. The TITAN 5 delivers the TITAN 1's performance and craftsmanship with much appreciated tweaks from top to bottom. If you are looking for the new king of the TITAN line, the TITAN 5 now bears the price-performance crown, punching well above its weight better than ever.

Thank you to DUNU, especially Vivian, for the opportunity to review this unrivaled product. Setbacks, including health and family struggles, tried my patience and likely yours as I worked to produce this review. I look forward to the bright and promising future of IEMs thanks to DUNU's untiring pursuit of immersive audio from fetching earphones.
      archdawg and stalepie like this.
  7. Tom22
    Attack of the Titan Pt 5: Renewed Bassy Hope
    Written by Tom22
    Published Jan 25, 2016
    Pros - great slam and punch in the bass, tight, fast, clean, and nice sparkle, detachable cables, build, easy fit
    Cons - so-so isolation
    Keeping the Nano-titanium drivers, Dunu intends to pack all the “Titan-Goodness” into a better isolating package, with the Titan 3 and Titan 5.
    Despite the grand response the Titan 1 garnered, a common complaint is the lack of isolation in its semi-vented/open nature.  Dunu has taken criticisms to heart and went back to the drawing board to address that issue as well as various others that had surfaced since. Lets find out how they did!

20151224_2333410.jpg    20151224_233420.jpg

Below I have included a video review to supplement my written portion, I will also include a link to my Dunu Titan 1, and 3 review for better reference for readers.  (Skip to the sound section of the Dunu 5 review, for relative comparisons)
    Titan 1 Review:http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/13302
    Titan 3 Review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-3/reviews/15085
    Disclaimer- I would like to thank Dunu (for providing me with the Titan 3) to review as well as my peers in the Dunu Titan thread, for arranging for the Titan 3 and 5 for the Demo Tour!
    [​IMG]

Accessories:
    Dunu includes a variety of goodies with the Titan 3. There is 3 pairs of the Sony silicone hybrids (black, color-coded tips), 3 pairs Red and Grey Silicone, a shirt clip and a ¼ inch adapter.
    Of course one of the biggest additions is the inclusion of the silicone fin guards, providing a rubber bumper guard against the edge of the housing and the concha of your ear. (Simply put, it helps in terms of comfort).
    To protect the earphones, included is a hard shell plastic carrying case that snaps shut for safe storage. The case is nicely made but I would like it if it was a few cm thicker (to compensate for the bigger earpieces, with the detachable cables), and for better clearance for the cable (so it doesn’t crimp when closing it). (or swap to a round semi-hard zippered carrying case).
    Overall: 8.5/10 (Dunu has taken out the 3 pairs of the black silicone tips found in the Titan 1)
    20151224_234249.jpg     20151224_233007.jpg     20151224_233032.jpg

Design:
    Keeping the Half- Earbud/ half in ear design that many including myself enjoyed, allows more room for the engineers at Dunu to make way for the large titanium coated drivers. The simple, yet flawless chrome housing is something to be admired. The only way to differentiating between the Titan 3 and the 5 is the on the Logo of the earpieces (labeled 3, and 5 respectively).
    Overall: 8.5/10
    20151224_233039.jpg    20151224_232810.jpg    20151224_233025.jpg

Build Quality:
    Dunu has clearly been listening the feedback from their consumers, through the implementation of the detachable mmcx cables. It’s quite hard to seamlessly integrate a practical and durable detachable cable, especially with mmcx connectors (it seems Dunu fall on the good side), as it did not suffer from sound cutting in and out when the cable spins. The cables are very well made and Dunu did away with the fabric portion of the cable that’s found on the Titan 1. With plentiful reinforcement in high stress joints, the Titan 3s exude the luxurious feel of a premium product found much higher then what it price indicates.
    Overall: 9.5/10
    20151224_232853.jpg   20151224_233105.jpg

Comfort:
    The shallow fit half earbud/in ear fit, will easily garner many fans looking for a comfort of a silicon/foam eartip, while ensuring the slipper-like fit of traditional earbuds.  That’s said the housing is on the larger side and those with smaller ears may not find the titans to be very comfortable considering the slight edge around the body of the earpieces. (Dunu addressed this issue with the silicone fin guards included in each Titan 3, and 5 package.
    Overall: 8.5/10 (smoothing out the edges and providing the silicone fin guards helped)
    20151224_233530.jpg   20151224_234436.jpg    20151224_234446.jpg

Isolation:
      While it’s an improvement over the Semi-open Titan 1s, the Titan 5s won’t be nearly enough for those seeking isolation comparable to the likes of Shure or Westone
     Overall: 6.5/10
    20151224_233516.jpg   20151224_234500.jpg

Having the opportunity to listen to the entire Titan line up, has allowed me to better understand what demographic and what sound Dunu is targeting with each respective Titan.

The Quick Skinny
    Titan 1: Open, spacious, Thinner, Edgy upper mids
    Titan 3: More Balanced, fuller midforward sound, with a splash of Brightness
    Titan 5: Tastefully bassy, fun sound (without the bloat), take the Titan 3 + a slight bump in the bass and treble

Titan 5 Breakdown:
    The Titan 5 caters more towards those seeking a bit more punch in the low end, while still maintaining the clean, crisp sound the Titans are known for. The Titan 5 definitely has the broadest appeal of the Titans.  It’s the smooth talker and fun baby brother. If I had to pick one Titan to serve me on daily basis, the 5s would definitely be my pick.
    For this review I used the included sony hybrids: I found the Titan 5 was less picky with the tip selection.

Bass:
    With a strong but tastefully “meaty” bass, the Titan 5s has a nice taste of the “fun” without sacrificing the detail and depth. They have deeper, harder hitting bass with a more robust punchy midbass, making the most well rounded Titan, a perfect companion to help drown out some of the shuffling and rumbling environmental sounds.

Midrange:
    The midrange is slightly recessed, relative to the Titans 3. However, in the grand scheme of things, it’s more similar in quality to my VSONIC GR07BE’s midrange, except a bit warmer in comparison. While the 5s will not immediately grab your attention with its clarity like the Titan 1, 3 would, I feel the 5s have the widest appeal. With the nice sense of warmth in the lower mids  male vocals, have a nice body and  fullness, making the preferable for those that find the GR07BE to be a bit dry.  On the other end, the upper midrange is the most friendly towards female vocals in the Titan family, like the Mariah Carey and Ariana Grande by easing off in this “rather sensitive area”.

Treble:
    A sparkly treble, makes Titan 5s fun to listen to, while still project nice detail, without being “aggressive” or “in your face”. I was quite content with its balance of detail and fun.  Also, I felt the treble extended slightly farther and imaging slightly better and wider than the Titan 3s.
    Overall: 9.3/10

Comparing to the Titan 5 to the Titan 1
    It seems to be better at portraying depth then the Titan 1, with deeper and more  authority in the bass. While the Titan 1 is more open and spacious, it also seems a bit flat in its presentation. Packing more heat in the bass helps the Titan 5 better cut through ambient noise.

Comparing the Titan 5 to the Titan 3
    The Titan 5 I believe has a wider (and safer) appeal for a multitude of users and genres, while I feel the Titan 3 to have more of a “niche” tuning, which may be bit unforgiving for some users (especially those that come from warmer and darker sound signatures). The 5s, has wider and slightly better imaging compared to the 3s.

Comparing the Titan 5s with the Vsonic Gr07BE
    The Titan 5s have a thicker, more pungent bass, making the bass more satisfying in when the bass drops. The GR07BE has a drier leaner midrange, making the Titan 5a more warm sounding. Treble-wise, the Titan 5s take the edge off the treble compared to the GR07BE which helps brings out the more texture and detail.
    The Titan 5s are bit more efficient than the GR07BE

All in all those looking for a slightly smoother and bassier alternative to the Gr07BE should take a serious look at the Titan 5s, especially since they feature detachable cables, and a more premium build (those shiny earpieces).

Note**Tape mod
    For fun I decided use the “tape mod”: by using scotch tape to tape the rear vent (by the nozzle) making the bass very solid and visceral making it and overall warmer sound. I felt this began tipping the balance towards the bass a bit too far, in my opinion.
    As stated in my Titan 3 review, you can experiment with the how big or small to poke the hole in the tape, to adjust the level of dampening and bass.
    Of course the isolation improved with this modification, and best of all its cheap and reversible! note- the potential for driver flex does increase due to the lack of venting

In conclusion:
    The Titan 1 will turn heads with its impressive holographic and spacious imaging.  The Titan 3 draws you in with its impressive clarity and its clean, “scalpel-like” midrange. The Titan 5 I feel has a good mix of what makes the Titans great, fun, clean, while still sounding decently spacious.
    Highly recommended! The Titan 5 is right in my wheelhouse, with a fun, yet detailed sound, they shot right to the top as one of my favorite earphones to date.

Possible feedback
    - A possible tuning change Dunu can implement is maybe taking off maybe 2-3 dB off the upper mid-lower treble, just to smooth out the potential of harshness.
    The case is nicely made but I would like it if it was a few cm thicker (to compensate for the bigger earpieces, with the detachable cables), and for better clearance for the cable (so it doesn’t crimp the cable when closing it). (or swap to a round semi-hard zippered carrying case).

Overall: 50.8/60= 85%
      archdawg and Radec like this.
  8. lin0003
    Affordable Perfection
    Written by lin0003
    Published Dec 31, 2015
    Pros - Sound Quality
    Cons - Isolation

Dunu Titan 5 Review

First of all, I’d like to thank Dunu for sending me a sample of the Titan 5 to review. I’m quite familiar with Dunu as a brand and I’ve heard many of their higher end offerings including the DN-1000 and DN-2000. A while ago, I reviewed the Titan 1, which I found to be an IEM which punched well above its price bracket and truly outshone other IEMs in the same price range. The Titan 5 is a higher end model in the same line and the two IEMs share numerous similarities.

T5_Official.jpg

Given the fact that I enjoyed the Titan 5 so much, I really looked forward to trying out the Titan 5. The 5, like the 1, utilises a single dynamic driver in a style which is rather reminiscent of an earbud. Given the fact that they look almost identical to the Titan 5, I expected a similar Dunu house sound and that is just about what I got.

The pricing of the Dunu Titan 5 is $195SGD from LendMeUrEars or around $140USD at the time of writing and is priced just a little bit above the Titan 1. It is, however, cheaper than the DN-1000 and under half the price of the DN-2000.

**Disclaimer** These were provided to me for free in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

Unboxing & Accessories

The Titan 5 comes with a very similar package to the Titan 1, it does a very good job with protecting the earphones, and provides you with all the relevant information and details. Overall, the packaging looks excellent.

There aren’t that many things that come with the Titan 5, but it comes with most of the necessary accessories. There are 6 sets of tips, a standard 3.5mm to ¼ inch adapter, a pair of stabilisers, a cable clip and a case. The case is the same one that the Titan 1 uses, which is a relief. I did not enjoy the DN-900 and DN-2000 cases at all. It does its job and protects the IEMs well. The tips were a bit of a letdown, they felt a little flimsy and none of them really sealed very well. I used some aftermarket “Heir” tips (grey and red). The wings or stabilisers worked very well, maybe a tad big for my small ears, but they did their job and the IEMs didn’t even come close to falling off.

t3-5-6.jpg

Design, Isolation & Cable

The Titan 5 is based very heavily on the Titan 1 design and both are built very well. With the housing constructed primarily of steel, the IEMs feel very solid and looks great too. One of the best upgrades the Titan 5 has is the addition of a removable cable. This way you are able to simply buy another cable if the cable breaks rather than sending it in for repair. Comfort is good, without the wings I wore them for hours with minimal discomfort. With the wings, however, they became significantly less comfortable, but they were much more stable in my ear. They can be worn both straight down and over the ear, though it is a little bit hard to keep them over the ears. The Titan 5 feels like a truly high end a very well built product.

The isolation is a little better than the almost non-existent isolation on the Titan 1, but it is nowhere near impressive. These look like earbuds and hardly isolate any better than regular earbuds. The vents and very shallow seal means that it is very easy for sound to get in. I’d say that it is only a good idea to use them inside where there is not a lot of noise.

The cable is good, and pretty much the same as every other Dunu cable I have used. The strain reliefs are rather well built and do their job. The cable is perhaps a little thin, but this also means that it is very flexible. The cable is around 1.2m long and come with a slider above the y-split, which is a relief. This makes wearing the IEM over the ear much easier. The plug feels pretty solid and I didn’t experience any cuts outs at all, something that happens sometimes with IEMs which have a removable cable. Microphonics is also very good, both worn up and down.

Testing Gear

Most of my testing was done on the D14-P5 with PS, but I also gave it a run with DX80 and an iPhone 6. All of the devices and combinations drove the IEM sufficiently, it isn’t an overly demanding IEM, but I did feel like the performance improved appreciably when the IEM was amped very simply on the IP6. The best combination was expectedly the iBasso stack, but they sounded almost as good on the DX80. With amping, the bass seems to be punchier and hits harder. The overall sound is more controlled and smooth. I would recommend pairing the Titan 5 with a DAP or with a cheap amp.

Sound Quality

Given how impressed I have been with every single one of Dunu’s IEMs that I have tried, I had no reason to suspect otherwise with the Titan 1. The Titan 1 took the spot of my favourite budget IEM and given the low pricing of the Titan 5, it replaces the Titan 1 in that spot for me. The Titan 5 is a truly impressive IEM when it comes to sound quality and is perhaps the best performer when it comes to price/performance that I have heard.

t5_frontside.jpg

Bass

Generally, I have found Dunu IEMs to be somewhat V shaped with an emphasised bass and the Titan 5 is no different. The bass is definitely the highlight for me, it is perfectly balanced, not too much and not too light. The bass is punchy and energetic; it manages to have very good impact while staying very fast. There is no bloat whatsoever. The detail of the bass is extremely impressive, not just for an IEM of this price range, but for higher end IEMs as well. The bass is controlled well and at no time did I feel like it got too much. The mid-bass was emphasised more than the sub-bass, which I actually found to be rather neutral. Bass extension was very good and I didn’t feel like the bass rolled off at the lower registers. The sub-bass was quite flat – not emphasised, but no early roll off either. Rumble is good, but it isn’t for bassheads who like to hear an emphasised sub-bass, you won’t find it here. The tone of the bass is one of the most well balanced without sacrificing overall clarity that I have heard in an IEM.

Midrange

The midrange is undoubtedly pulled back a little but I wouldn’t exactly call it recessed. It has the same tone that I love from the Titan 1, but it improves on it in terms of clarity. There is a sense of realism while still being somewhat analytical. Yes, they were definitely pulled back a little, but I didn’t feel like this bothered me at all. It really shines on female vocals, where it sounds very sweet and extremely clear. There is a little bit of an upper midrange boost and this means that vocals sound crystal clear. Male vocals sound a little sharper than I would usually like, but it wasn’t too bad. Instruments sounded clear and generally had a natural timbre to them, but with pianos I found the Titan 5 to be a little thinner than I usually like. Stringed instruments sounded very natural and realistic while being very detailed, more so than the Titan 1. A small issue I had was minor vocal sibilance on higher volumes. Despite the midrange being a little pulled back, I found them to be very impressive, which excellent detail and realism.

Treble

The treble feels more upfront than the Titan 1, which I find to be a good thing. Gone in the mid treble dip and this is instead replaced by an upper treble boost. Extension is better on the Titan 5 and I felt like the treble was quite smooth with no significant peaks, but it is definitely on the brighter side of neutral. Something I realised was that it is more refined than the slightly grainy treble of the Titan 1. Treble detail is excellent and it really shines with cymbals. They have just the right amount of sparkle and a good decay. The treble was not harsh at all, and I didn’t feel like there was any sibilance at all, even at high volumes. Something I have to pick on is how they present the micro details. They presented some minute details in the treble that I really wasn’t expecting to here, from a soft bell to a guitar string. The treble is wonderfully balanced and extends beautifully. While I wouldn’t exactly call his bright, it is very clean and detailed without being harsh.

DUNU2BTITAN2B5-2.jpg

Soundstage & Imaging

The Titan 1 really surprised me with just how large the soundstage was and for the price, I had never heard anything like it before. The Titan 5 has a similar soundstage to the Titan 1. Together, they are two of the best IEMs in regards to soundstage under $200 by quite a margin. The vents and earbud design probably has something to do with this. The large soundstage does come with a horrendous isolation though. It is perhaps even larger than the DN-2000. The width and height is impressive, but what is even more so is the depth, or more specifically, how the Titan 5 presents the depth of the stage. The stage has a very 3D feel to it and is something nothing I have heard (other than the Titan 1) does in this price range.

The imaging is equally as impressive and here is it even better than the Titan 1. It is very precise and it presents a sense of space very well. Instruments and where they were was very sharp and the layering is all awesome. I think that the Titan 5 is maybe even better than the DN-2000 in this area.

Separation, Detail & Clarity

The separation improves on the Titan 1, but it still falls a little short of multi BA IEMs in this price range. The single dynamic driver of the Titan 5 isn’t as good in this area as multiple BA drivers. It handles most tracks with ease, but on some busier passages, the music starts to be a little more congested. It isn’t too bad at any time, but it is worth mentioning that it doesn’t do quite as well as other top contenders here.

The Titan 5 is the most detailed IEM under $200 that I have personally tried. I think that this is pretty clear to me, not much comes close. It is much more detailed than the Titan 1 because of the more open treble. It isn’t one of those analytical IEMs however; it’s far from that actually. I’d actually say that the Titan 5 is one of the more fun IEMs that I have heard, it combines energy with detail for a very convincing package.

The Titan 5 excels in clarity due to the slightly accentuated upper midrange and upper treble. Instruments sound very clear as do voices. This is mostly a positive, but in some instances, this can mean that the sound is not quite as realistic as I would have liked.

Dunu-Titan-5-7-300x169.jpg

Summary

I wrote that the Titan 1 was the most perfect sounding IEM at its price and now the Titan 5 is, IMO, superior at a slightly higher price. Nothing comes close to it at its price point. However, this does not mean that this will necessarily be the choice for everyone. With an IEM, noise isolation is important to many people and unfortunately, the superior sound of the Titan 5 is met with a terrible isolation. When choosing an IEM in this price range, the Titan 5 is my first recommendation by far purely based on sound quality, but of course, you have to consider how important isolation is to you because this trade-off means that you will be limited as to where you can actually use this.

As always, thanks for reading this review and I hoped it helped. And just a note, the photos are taken from Google, if you own any of them and want me to take them down send me a message.

archdawg and menuki like this.
  9. suman134
    The Titanic 5.
    Written by suman134
    Published Jan 22, 2016
    Pros - Build quality, detachable cables, enjoyable sound signature, fantastic female vocals.
    Cons - Slightly vailed male vocals, bassy signature, heavy.

INTRO:-

DUNU as we all know is one of the most consumer friendly brands around. Initially they were not there with top of the line earphones. But with DN-1000, DN-2000 and Titan-1 they just blasted into the scene with a bang and since then they have set the benchmark for others.

Following the success of Titan-1 DUNU decided to extend the Titan line up with Titan 3, 5 and ES. Titan 3 being the one with mid in focus and 5 being the one with everything in balance are priced exactly same at $139 and ES the cheaper version of the original Titan is priced $60. Titan-3 and 5 are Hi-fi certified too.

Here are some links:-

What I have here is the Titan-5, the one which is supposed to be the balanced one, uses the same 13mm titanium diaphragm driver as the original titan( Titan-3 too has the same driver). What has changed is the cable, its detachable now (Titan-3 too). Visually it looks more or less like the original titan but there are some cosmetic changes. Sound characteristics have changed enough for Titan-5 to stand out as a Titan on its OWN facing completion from R3, GR-07, fidue A73 and other earphones.

Before we start let me tell you something about me. I like it balance. No problem with V-shaped sound till it’s has enough details, a bigger stage and good layering does wonders for me. And not much bothered about bass till it is fast, but i prefer more sub bass, I will forgive everything if its got pace and mids and highs are not ignored. I love spark with my highs, balanced will do too, I won’t kill for spark but spark is what makes an earphone sound alive, too much will kill the cat and too less will kill the cat too. I don’t like to play around EQs but I have mine applied.

Before all, I would like to thank Vivian and DUNU for this sample unit. And would like to apologize for this delay!!

IMG_20160121_132925.jpg   P60122-101038.jpg

P60122-101215.jpg   IMG_20160122_160027.jpg

ACCESSORIES ERGONOMICS AND MISCELLANEOUS:-

Titan-1 comes with 9 pair of tips, Titan-5 has 6 pairs, sony style and red core type tips in 3 sizes missing the wide bore ones, enough for most of us. 5 has the exact hard carry case, cable clip is there too in addition to that there is a pair of earpiece wings that helps with fitment, thanks to these, unlike the original, 5 doesn’t fall out easily, even you can take this for a run and still it won’t fall. There is a cable tie too keep the earphone from tangling. There is a 3.5mm to quarter inch converter as usual.

This time around Titan-5 has removable cable, if you think your earphone will sound better with some other cable, go ahead swap it, or change it if the cable gives up on you!! It has the most common MMCX type connectors. An awesome feature most people were asking for, I must admit. Cable is different though. It’s not externally braided anymore, all rubber, but its good, one of the best I must say (with wings). Not bouncy, microphonics is low. Cable tangles a bit but not badly. There is chin/cable slider too.

Ergonomically Titan-5 is marginally better than original. Nothing to complain about, this time 5 isnt as prone to fall out as 1 was. Full metal body means it’s slightly heavy but not much. This time we have only one air vent. Back of the earpiece is bigger and longer to accommodate the connector. Back plate has a brushed metal design with 5 written on it, neat never the less.

It’s comfortable to wear, no irritations at all.

Isolation is better than the original but still not better than average. It’s good for a half in-ear though.

This time DUNU haven’t left any stone unturned when it comes to features. Its loaded with everything people complained 1 was missing. Can’t ask for much can you? I can!! Comply tips!! One pair, medium, Please, do.

IMG_20160122_115558.jpg   IMG_20160121_141847_HDR.jpg

SOUND QUALITY:-

Let me start by confirming that Titan-5 has been burnt in for more than 180 hours. I have used my J3+E5 as the primary source, and Zenfone 2 or Redmi 1s at times, both have impressive control and SQ. And I would like to confirm that it doesn’t need an amplifier to perform to the mark, your mobile device can drive it easily. But amplifying helps with improvement is stage size and layering. Amp it if you can, its good otherwise.

Unlike the 1, 5 doesn’t have an “on your face” kind of signature, its laid back, smoother, calmer and doesn’t bite from the word go which is a good thing for those who wanted the original to be a bit less aggressive.

It’s a really neutral sounding earphone, not much warm, slightly dark and mildly bright at times. Sonically its not comparable to re-400 or the original titan, but its comparable to R3 and IM-70.
     And for your info, I have used Brainwavz style black tips at times, but for this review I have used red core tips. Both sound similar.

IMG_20151129_091416.jpg   IMG_20160117_150020.jpg

IMG_20151204_112303_HDR.jpg   P60118-141812.jpg

Let’s start with Bass:-

DUNU says it’s the balanced but to me its bassy. Some people complained about 1’s bass, here you go, eat it now, not lean anymore, its meaty and full. Bass has plenty of impact and ready to pounce when asked for. It doesn’t move much air and slam is slightly lacking when compared to bass head earphone. Yes, I own bassy earphones too, XB90EX, Hisound crystal and ckx-9 to name some.

Extension is better than original, 5 has better sub bass too but again mid bass takes the center stage. Bass in general is not as fast as I like but not bad for general users. Slightly better decay will do well. Bass sounds slightly loose and wooly, bass lovers will like it for sure. . You will hear every bass note, drums, bass guitars, it’s there but slightly lacks accuracy and will instantly grab your attention.

Even when bass is slightly over done and feels slightly off, even when it feels like bleeding a bit, its composed enough. All I can say is Titan-5’s bass is engaging and full, will suit pop music better and average consumers will like it.

Analytical listeners and serious audiophiles will find this bass slightly bothering, slightly, not much. [​IMG]

Mid range:-

Plenty have changed here when compared to Titan-1. Titan-5 is not exactly V shaped, but still slightly. Yes its bass is over done but doesn’t overwhelm vocals, tuba, sax, piano or other instruments.
     Mid range is not sharp any more, its smoother and soothing, doesn’t bite like the original but still has similar details, notes are thicker hence won’t cut deep. Thicker notes make 5 sound slightly less detailed. I am neither impressed nor disappointed with this mid. It complements the whole signature, it just lacks the precision of the original.

Lower vocal notes are thicker, not dark, slightly warm at lower region, which makes male vocals slower and poised at times, if not as excellent and cohesive as female vocals, its still sounds good. Female vocals sound precise and to the point, now this is the thing done close to perfection with exact amount of thickness and energy.

Another good thing is its texture and finish, not a single hint of grain or sluggishness (which is tiny case with 1). Best thing is, it patches some harshness and make instruments sound smooth and pleasing even when the track has some distortion, simply put, Titan-5 has little to no distortion. There are no audible dips while transacting from lower to upper mid and that makes it fluent and effortless.

Overall mid range have better body, slightly less clarity and micro detailing, better timber, when compared with original. 5 is not the reveling kind, it’s mid is more of pleasing type with fatigueless signature.

It has bigger stage when compared to other IEMs and better shaped when compared to the original. It’s nicely rounded and evenly spread with nice width height and depth.

Highs:-

I have to admit, when compared to Titan-1, Titan-5’s highs are not as energetic and slightly boring. It still has enough presence with cymbals, trumpets and violins. If you found the original doing a bit too much up top, Titan-5 will suit you.

Highs are nicely balanced. Extension is good. Lower highs are not much emphasized, not splashy. If you are worried about sibilance, let me tell you it is nowhere to be found. Not even close. Can be slightly bothering with rock and heavy metal if you are sensitive to spark but, its fine, really.

Layering, separation, instrument placement, everything is up to the mark. Has nice transparency too.

CONCLUSION:-

It’s a new titan with plenty of changes. Cosmetic changes are,
    • New detachable cables with rubber coating all the way.
    • Lesser air vents
    • Comes with lesser tips. ( missing the wide bore ones)
    • Ships with earpiece wings for stability.
      Sound wise:-
    • It has bigger and deeper bass.
    • Overall signature is thicker and smoother.
    • Sonically it is less exciting.

All in all Titan-5 is a crowd pleaser. Those who didn’t like leaner and sharper Titan-1 will like this for sure. It is meaty and full bodied.

When compared to other in this price range, it just hangs in the middle, not excellent at anything, not bad at anything. Over all I will prefer it over IM-70, Brainwavz S5 and even R3, but I won’t pick it over the original or RE-400.

That’s it from me guys.
     Enjoy your music. Cheers.

IMG_20160117_150020.jpg   IMG_20160122_160001.jpg

IMG_20160115_230145.jpg   IMG_20160117_145748.jpg

archdawg, JoeDoe, Nafis and 1 other person like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. suman134
      @Brooko coming from a BA set up, and compared to Titan-1, 5 is slightly over with bass for me. I will take your advice sir, Let me rephrase it.

Thanks for the feedback.
      suman134, Jan 23, 2016
    3. Brooko
      Don't change it Suman - you need to state it exactly as you hear it.  That's the beauty of getting multiple reviews with different subjective points of view :)  I was just stating my own impressions of it.  If you get a chance to listen to the T3 as well, I'll be interested in your thoughts. And there have been a few so far who regard the T5 as being bassy and the T3 as balanced.  I just don't happen to agree with them (and neither does DUNU apparently).
      Brooko, Jan 23, 2016
    4. flippant1
      I found the Dunu 1000 to have the deepest Bass of any Dunu including the 2000J. And I have tried them all. Brooko- How do you find the Bass in comparison to the 1000 and 2000J? I know the 2000J is considerably more $$ than the T5 but as I read it , you seem to find the T5 to be the most satisfying  experience, single driver vs all. Do I read you correctly?
      flippant1, Feb 10, 2016
  10. Hisoundfi
    Hi-Five! An entertaining high resolution V-Signature to add to the Titan legacy. The DUNU Titan 5 in ear monitor with MMCX detachable cables.
    Written by Hisoundfi
    Published Dec 29, 2015
    Pros - High resolution and fun tuning, Authoritative bass punch that extends well, Nice lower midrange timbre, Extended high and low frequencies
    Cons - Upper midrange/treble and/or bass will be overwhelming to some people
    20151118_103503-2.jpg
    At the time of the review, the Titan 5 in-ear monitor was was on sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the product:

Note: I reviewed the Titan 3 and Titan 5 at the same time. The beginning of the the reviews are nearly identical with grammatical edits to match the product to the corresponding review. They are nearly identical products in terms of build and packaging. If you have read the other review, you might want to skip straight to the sound impressions.

Introduction
    Almost a year ago, the original Dunu Titan 1 was released. It was an all metal housing earphone with a unique design and fabulous sound. I gave the original Titan 1 a five star review. When I heard that there would be a successor to this beast of an earphone, I knew I had to try it.

Disclaimer
    I was given an opportunity to review the Titan 3 in exchange for my honest opinion and review. I am in no way affiliated with Dunu.

My Background
    I AM NOT a numbers and graphs audiophile or sound engineer. Personal audio enthusiast? Absolutely! Headphone junkie? Possibly…

There’s something about quality DAPs, DACs, Amplifiers and Earphones that intrigues me, especially if they can be had for low prices. I will buy the $5 to $500 earphone that looks promising, in hopes that I will discover that one new gem that can compete with the big names in this industry. If you look at my Head-Fi profile you will see that I have purchased MANY different headphones and earphones, ranging from from dirt cheap to higher end products. For me, this hobby is more about getting great price to performance ratio from a product, and have a variety of different gears with varying builds and sound to mix and match. With personal audio gear, we tend to pay a lot of money for minor upgrades. One thing I’ve learned over the last few years is that just because a headphone has a higher price tag, it doesn’t mean that it has superior build and sound quality.

I’m always looking for great audio at a great price. I’m after headphones and IEMs that give me the “WOW” factor. I can appreciate different builds and sound signatures as long as they are ergonomic, and the sound is pleasing to the ear. It is my pleasure to share my experiences with audio products and make recommendations based gear I have owned and used.

REVIEW
    20151229_175437.jpg
    The Titan 5 came in a box that follows the same theme as the original Titan 1 earphone, sporting a black box with white letters. The front of the box has the name of the product and picture of the housings and cable along with the “Hi-Res” logo on the upper right hand corner.

20151229_175446.jpg
    The back of the box featured pictures and descriptions of the detachable cable, titanium diaphragm driver and housings along with the accessories.

20151229_175503.jpg

20151229_175456.jpg
    The left side of the box displayed specifications in six different languages (including English). The right side displayed the Dunu logo and slogan (delicate, unique & utmost)

Specifications and Accesories

3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter

Carrying case

1 pair of fitting rubber

20151229_180112.jpg
    The entire Titan lineup comes with a great selection of tips, including my personal favorite Sony-like silicone tips. If those don’t work there is also slightly more rigid pair of black/red silicone tips as well. Also included are a pair of silicone fins that fit over the Titan housing, helping the earphone sit more securely in the ear.

Housings
    20151229_180313.jpg
    The Titan 5 features metal housings that are very solid and reminiscent of the original. The main difference I noticed is that there is far less in terms of driver venting holes on the inside of the driver. The housing shape is a hybrid design with traits from both earbud and an in-ear monitors.
    20151229_180523.jpg
    The outside of the housings displays the number five etched into the metal shell.

Cable, Y-Split, Cable Jack, Strain Reliefs
    20151229_180835.jpg
    The cable is an exclusive detachable MMCX style jack that connects at the bottom of the housing. The cable has a flexible black cable with very little spring and virtually no memory, same as many of Dunu’s other cables. I really enjoy the type of cables they use, and am glad they continue to use this type. The Y-split is a black metal jacketed housing with a chin slider that fits flush with the Y-split. The Dunu logo is painted on the Y-split jacket. The cable jack is a ninety degree gold plated 3.5mm jack. The black metal plating on the jack has a specific serial number painted on it. Strain relief is excellent at the jack. There is strain relief where the cable meets the MMCX connectors. There is no strain relief at the Y-split. Something Dunu does that I really appreciate is the added cable winder accessory at the lower end of the cable. This helps keep My earphones neat and untangled when winding/unwinding them.
    20151229_181117.jpg

Functionality
    The Titan is meant for music enjoyment. there are no microphones or remotes to take away from the high fidelity experience

Ergonomics, Fit and Microphonics, Isolation
    My original gripe about the original Titan earphone was that it didn’t support an over ear fit without swapping the channels. Dunu addressed this by offering the exclusive detachable MMCX cables. The first thing I did was swap channels on the titan and go over the ear, which is my preferred way of wearing just about every in-ear monitor.

Just like the original Titan, the under the ear fit is phenomenal. the earbud-like disc shape in combination with metal nozzle sets up for a snug and comfortable fit.

Microphonics are much better than average when worn down, and eliminated when worn over the ear. Isolation on the Titan 3 is better than the original, but still somewhat mediocre as compared to the average in-ear monitor.

Sound Review
    I did my demo with my usual gear. I used an LG-G3 with the latest firmware for portable and smartphone use, and either my Shanling H3 or Sony Walkman F806/Cayin C5 amplifier for a high fidelity portable use. For desktop use I used my Toshiba Satellite Laptop in combination with a HIFIMEDIY Sabre ES9023 USB DAC/Bravo Audio Ocean Tube amplifier with a Mullard 12AU7 tube for higher impedance, and a Fiio E18 USB DAC & Amplifier in both high and low gain. Both were run at 24 bit, 96000 Hz. I also tested them with other DAPs and amplifiers as well. I used Google Music downloaded in its highest download quality (320 KBPS) and I also streamed FLAC via Tidal streaming service. I also used purchased and downloaded tracks in MP3, FLAC, WAV and DSD. I make sure that any gear I test has sufficient playtime before writing a review.

I used my usual same songs for testing gear:
    “Limit to your love” by James Blake (bass speed, punch, response)
    “Doin’ it Right” by Daft Punk (sub bass)
    “Get lucky” by Daft Punk (bass to midrange transition resolution, male vocals)
    “Madness” by Muse (soundstage, separation)
    “Some nights” by Fun (soundstage and male vocals)
    “The soundmaker” by Rodrigo y Gabriela (texture and imaging)
    “Bassically” by Tei Shi (bass to midrange resolution, female vocals)
    “Skinny Love” performed by Birdie (female vocals, acoustic playback)
    “One” by Ed Sheeran (male vocals, acoustic playback)
    “Outlands” from the Tron Legacy Soundtrack (symphonic presentation, imaging)
    “Sultans of swing” by Dire Straits (detail, separation, balance)
    “And Justic for All” by Metallica (driver distortion, treble response, rock playback)
    “Ten thousand fists” by Disturbed (driver distortion, treble response, rock playback)

Note: Other tracks were used, but the listed songs were primarily used to asses and break down the gear’s response.

Source Selection
    The Titan 5 is relatively easy to drive at 32 Ohms and can be driven by just about anything that plays music and has a 3.5 mm plug. They are a high resolution earphone that doesn’t shy away from upper midrange and treble frequencies. Their bass forward signature will make them somewhat forgiving with poorly recorded music, but will also upscale well with better files and sources. I didn’t see any particular benefit from using amplification or a more powerful source. Feed them some high bitrate files and higher quality recordings through a more neutral and high fidelity source and you will be rewarded with some impressive sound quality.

Sound Signature
    These are the V-signature out of the group. Despite the consumer friendly approach in tuning, they are fabulous thanks to their high level of resolution. They pack a meaty bass, timbre rich lower midrange and crisp and an up front treble response. They don’t shy away from some sibilant sounds, but the crisp upper frequencies work well in combination with the rich and slightly boosted lower tones.

There’s a richness to their tuning that makes them work well with almost every genre. What I honestly heard is a bass boosted Titan 3. Looking at graphs online, it made even more sense what I was hearing. The treble response of the Titan 3 and Titan 5 is pretty much identical, with the Titan 5 packing boost in the bass and lower midrange (most likely just different venting on the same titanium driver).

Bass
    The Titan 5 is far and away the bass champion of the Titan family. The bass is a robust and dynamic bass that is pretty well rounded. The Titan 5 bass isn’t necessarily the cleanest and tightest bass you will hear, but the authoritative presentation packs just enough resolution to be incredibly entertaining. It’s subwoofer bass to my ears with a good amount of punch and rumble. The driver will dig deep enough for listeners to realize they are missing some of these low notes with other earphones.

Midrange
    The mids are slightly recessed and for the most part midrange takes a step back from other frequencies. Although this is the case the midrange isn’t far enough back for me to say that they are necessarily lacking. The forward bass carries into the lower midrange, giving them a warmer feel to instruments and vocals. The Titan 5 goes from a musical and Timbre rich lower midrange and finishes with an aggressive upper midrange. The Titan 5 could get a little shouty at times. Although having a lifted upper midrange and treble area, one thing to note is that the Titan 5 seems perceptually less harsh because of their forward lower frequencies.

Treble
    The top end of the the sound doesn’t shy away from a crisply pronounced letter S or T, but for the most part the Titan 5 does it tastefully. The Titan 5 will butcher already sibilant recordings, just be aware of this.

With the treble tuned where it is, there is a nice crisp finish that helps create a nice sense of space. The treble extends pretty well and makes acoustic music and live performances sound great. Cymbal crashes and treble sounds for the most part have very fast attack and decay.

Soundstage and Imaging
    The forward bass response in combination with an aggressive upper midrange and treble gives the a better than average, but intimate soundstage. I really enjoyed the high resolution. The V-signature does a great job keeping the signature very musical and entertaining.

Comparisons
    How could I not compare the this guy to it’s brothers?

Titan 1 ($100 to $135 USD on many sites)
    The original Titan was one of my first five star reviews. Although there were some things about them I don’t feel were absolutely perfect, there was no denying their phenomenal sound quality. To this day the Titan 1 is still heavily used in my rotation of preferred in-ear monitors.

Both models have nearly identical packaging and accessories. They feature almost identical builds, with the main exception being the detachable cables of the new model and decrease in the number of venting holes on the inside of the driver. In terms of build and accessories, a very slight advantage goes to the Titan 5 because I’m able to swap channels and go over the ear with the channels reversed.

The Titan 5 sets itself apart from the original titan by being an edgier and less neutral tuning. On the end of each side of the frequency range the Titan 5 continues to extends and lifts from where the Titan 1 stops. This can be great, but also at times more fatiguing to my ears. While there were times when the Titan 1 would make things seem more natural and enjoyable to listen to, the bass and timbre the Titan 5 added an oomph that the Titan 1 couldn’t achieve. The Titan 5 is definitely the more Hi-Fi of the two.

Titan 3 ($135 USD on many sites)
    The Titan 3 seems the most neutral and midcentric of the Titans from what I heard. They feature a somewhat linear and extended bass presence, which carries into a nicely balanced and natural sounding midrange. The upper midrange and treble has a few decibel lift that helps accentuate vocals and give the sound a nice amount of forward presence.

Build and accessories is a tie because it is pretty much identical.

Comparing versions 3 and 5, I can understand why Dunu would offer both models at the same time. They are completely different approaches. The Titan 3 is more linear and balanced. Titan 5 has a much more boosted lower frequency response. Treble responses on both are nearly identical.

The boosted bass of the Titan 5 puts more low end warmth on midrange tones. One thing I do appreciate with the Titan 5 is how the added bass and warmth helps take the focus off of the crisp treble, making them perceptually less fatiguing. The Forward bass response of the Titan 5 also set up much better for modern genres of music.

If I’m jamming Mumford and Sons, or Adele, or anything that features vocals I’m reaching for the Titan 3. If I’m jamming some Skrillex, Macklemore, or just about any modern genre of music I’m reaching for the Titan 5. If I’m going to be listening to a bunch of different music and with no particular genre, I will probably go with the Titan 1.

Conclusion
    The Titan 5 is the party animal of the bunch. The bass comes out to play with an authoritative and robust rumble that is complimented with an equally forward upper midrange and treble that gives them a crisp and extended feel. It is a high fidelity earphone that will appeal to a large audience of people looking to upgrade to a higher level of resolution while maintaining a fun V-signature. It falls into a sweet spot as a basshead meets audiophile. For the price they are a value and a top pick for people looking for a higher caliber earphone.

20151229_180313.jpg

Thanks for reading and happy listening!