Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Shanling M2 DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shanling M2 DAP

post #1 of 1251
Thread Starter 
Hi folks. I know @pekingduck scooped this awhile ago in the Obscure Chinese DAP thread, but it's getting close. @Shanling is releasing the M2, M3's baby brother. It's going to be a more pocketable version that still retains a lot of the M3's unique character.

I'll update more as I find out...



FINISHED PRODUCT PHOTOS










Edited by nmatheis - 9/9/15 at 9:15pm
post #2 of 1251
Thread Starter 
Official announcement

Looks much more pocketable than M3 while retaining Shanling's signature command dial / joystick. DSD capable, too.

Waiting on more info...

SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE LATE OCTOBER

TENTATIVE MSRP: $250




























9a364c57_chipcomponents.jpeg




Edited by nmatheis - 9/10/15 at 10:13am
post #3 of 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post

Official announcement

Looks much more pocketable than M3 while retaining Shanling's signature command dial / joystick. DSD capable, too.

Waiting on more info...

 

Thanks nmatheis .. Subbed ..

 

I have seen your video on Shanling M3 and really liked it. The command dial of M3 is very interesting.

 Seeing this picture of M2's updated dial,  I am worried about the accidental turning of Volume Up dial when it's inside the pocket. 


Edited by hqssui - 8/21/15 at 1:15pm
post #4 of 1251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqssui View Post
 

 

Thanks nmatheis .. Subbed ..

 

I have seen your video on Shanling M3 and really liked it. The command dial of M3 is very interesting.

 Seeing this picture of M2's updated dial,  I am worried about the accidental turning of Volume Up dial when it's inside the pocket. 

 

Hi @hqssui, welcome to the conversation!  

 

The M3's command dial was never accidentally turned in my pocket, so as long as they maintain a similar level of force required to turn the dial I don't think it'll be a problem.  

 

The only issue I had with it was not pressing it quite straight in for Play / Pause would sometimes cause songs to skip forward or back.  Once I got used to it, that was a rare occurrence, though.  It looks like the M2 will solve that issue by putting Play /  Pause as the top function on the joystick.

 

I am happy to see that joystick functions are now printed on the command dial and that FFWD / RWD functions have been mapped to L / R on the joystick instead of Up / Down like the M3.  That was quite confusing for me with the M3 (and Cayin N6).

 

I'm curious if the rounded center on the M2's command dial is a button and what functionality it'll have.

 

I'm also curious what kind of outputs the M2 will have, since none of the pictures show that.

 

And I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that M2 (and M3) will have 120 volume steps for more fine-grained volume control.  Fiio changed from 60 to 120 awhile ago, and I really appreciated how easy it made finding just the right volume for all of my HP / IEM.

 

(Im)patiently waiting for more information @Shanling :wink_face: 

post #5 of 1251
Awesome! Thank you for compiling whatever information is available. I'll be following this thread closely.
post #6 of 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post
 

 

Hi @hqssui, welcome to the conversation!  

 

The M3's command dial was never accidentally turned in my pocket, so as long as they maintain a similar level of force required to turn the dial I don't think it'll be a problem.  

 

The only issue I had with it was not pressing it quite straight in for Play / Pause would sometimes cause songs to skip forward or back.  Once I got used to it, that was a rare occurrence, though.  It looks like the M2 will solve that issue by putting Play /  Pause as the top function on the joystick.

 

I am happy to see that joystick functions are now printed on the command dial and that FFWD / RWD functions have been mapped to L / R on the joystick instead of Up / Down like the M3.  That was quite confusing for me with the M3 (and Cayin N6).

 

I'm curious if the rounded center on the M2's command dial is a button and what functionality it'll have.

 

I'm also curious what kind of outputs the M2 will have, since none of the pictures show that.

 

And I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that M2 (and M3) will have 120 volume steps for more fine-grained volume control.  Fiio changed from 60 to 120 awhile ago, and I really appreciated how easy it made finding just the right volume for all of my HP / IEM.

 

(Im)patiently waiting for more information @Shanling :wink_face: 

 

Thanks nmatheis..

I was under the impression that the dial(volume up down) was easily turnable and doesnt need much force. Thanks for clearing that.

 

I suspect the center button is like a 'Select/Enter' button. I hope M2 will have hardware Eq like M3.

 

post #7 of 1251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqssui View Post
 

 

Thanks nmatheis..

I was under the impression that the dial(volume up down) was easily turnable and doesnt need much force. Thanks for clearing that.

 

I suspect the center button is like a 'Select/Enter' button. I hope M2 will have hardware Eq like M3.

 


I'm glad I could clarify that for you.  It's not like the volume dial is hard to use or anything - just not so easy that's it's accidentally turning on you.

 

You're probably right about the middle button.  Hopefully it won't be for any critical functions, as I could see it getting accidentally pressed in jeans pockets.

 

And yes, a HW EQ would be awesome!  Surprised more DAP manufacturers don't do that :confused:

post #8 of 1251

Looking forward to this!

post #9 of 1251

Shwing...

post #10 of 1251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakushondaimao View Post

Shwing...

Wayne or Garth?

post #11 of 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqssui View Post
 

 

Thanks nmatheis..

I was under the impression that the dial(volume up down) was easily turnable and doesnt need much force. Thanks for clearing that.

 

I suspect the center button is like a 'Select/Enter' button. I hope M2 will have hardware Eq like M3.

 


Thanks @hqssui,

 

You are right on the center button, it is functioning for 'select/enter'.
You do not need to worry about the accidental turing of the volume-although this wheel will be far more smooth than M3's, we can lock the screen.

 

M2 will not have hardware treble and bass adjustment since the curcuit design is different from M3's. But the software EQ function is sigficantly improved. 

post #12 of 1251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanling View Post


Thanks @hqssui,

You are right on the center button, it is functioning for 'select/enter'.

You do not need to worry about the accidental turing of the volume-although this wheel will be far more smooth than M3's, we can lock the screen.

M2 will not have hardware treble and bass adjustment since the curcuit design is different from M3's. But the software EQ function is sigficantly improved. 

Really happy to hear about the improved controls smily_headphones1.gif

Sad to hear that hardware tone controls are going away, though frown.gif
post #13 of 1251
Any eta on M2 release?
Also I read that a new flagship is under cooking, is that true?
post #14 of 1251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Any eta on M2 release?
Also I read that a new flagship is under cooking, is that true?

I saw a post about a new flagship, but that was quite awhile ago with no follow-up. If Shanling is working on a new flagship, I'd be curious what it'll bring us.
post #15 of 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Any eta on M2 release?
Also I read that a new flagship is under cooking, is that true?


Today we will release the M2 specifications.

 

Yes, a DAP positioning higher class than M3 is under development, but we will not call it a flagship.

 

The flagship is also in our blueprint, and it has to be very innovative, different from all others on the market.Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Shanling M2 DAP