Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V6 Vivid

4.7/5,
  • Review Burson V6 vivid

Thanks to Charles at SS-Audio for the trial units of the V6 vivid, I was sent these in return for my honest opinion.

Equipment used:

Asus essence stx

Burson V6 vivid x 3

Sennheiser hd600

Audio technica ad900

Preamble:

I'm in no way an audio professional as I am just a regular consumer who enjoys music. You could say I'm enthusiast but If you're after graphs and scientific findings this review will not be for you. I enjoy my music as we all do here and finding ways to improve that music is my and of course many of our goals.

Enters Burson Audio, I have been aware of the company for quite some time now and they have always created interesting and well-regarded products in the audio community. So, when I heard that Burson Audio released their latest op-amp I was very interested to try and see what they are all about.

I consume the majority of content on my desktop e.g. music, games etc. So easy ways to improve my audio experience that don't break the bank was always going to appeal to me as it would many a pc user.

This is where the Burson Audio V6 comes in,

Packaging: The V6 arrives in an unassuming padded envelope but it packed well and arrived without any issues.

DSC_6069.jpg

Installation: Very simple installation with the V6 and the Asus essence stx. Remove the Emi shield of the stx unplug the op amps and insert the V6. Plugging in the V6 you will notice they lean against the capacitors ever so slightly but this has not been an issue. For reference I'm using 3 v6s

DSC_6090.jpg

Sound: I have "burned in" the op amps for 150hours to satisfy those who believe in that and if you don't that’s fine too. I've heard that Burson Audio has recommended 100-150hours of burn in but not seen anything official on that so take that with a grain of salt. (Also, I'm coming from the stock op-amps that come with the asus essence stx)

Bass – First thing I noticed with the bass was there is more punch/presence with better control and quality. Don't expect a large bump in bass but the improvement in the bass area is noticeable its reaches lower and comes through with more authority to my ears.

Mids – Here I was greeted with fuller sounding natural vocals, slightly more forward vocals with better clarity.

Treble – There is some extra sparkle in the higher registers nothing harsh or sibilant to my ears. I did notice more details/definition in the treble region but only slight changes.

Soundstage – Probably the biggest difference I noticed was in soundstage, coming from the stock op amps there is a clear upgrade. I can hear better width and depth; the stage feels more atmospheric and lively with Improved placement of voices and instruments. I was very pleased in this department and this is where the improvements became more apparent.

Summary: So, when I comes down to the nitty gritty would I recommend the Burson Audio V6. Short answer is yes. If you have a headphone with you pleased with and looking for the extra something from your source the v6 can be great option. Pros: Easy plug and play installation strong after sales support from Burson Audio and improvement in sound quality Cons: Size, price. With the pros outweighing the cons i can recommend the The Burson Audio V6 opamp.

Recent Reviews

1. Barra
    Vivid upgrades Play from Mercedes to Ferrari
    Written by Barra
    Published Jul 21, 2019
    Pros - A significant upgrade to the Play basic sound quality at a reasonable price
    Cons - Problem fitting the lid over the Vivids increased size so I had to leave a couple of screws off the back.
    As a big Burson fan, I have been doing a lot of reviews and enjoying everything that I have used from the Cable + to the Play to the Fun. However, I have never gone down the upgrade path that makes Burson so much fun – both the Play and the Fun were "Basic" editions. However, after watching this guy’s awesome Burson Play upgrade review video:

I became very interested in trying his suggested V6 Vivid and Classic opamp upgrade setup. As mentioned in the video, there are three dual slots and two single slots for these upgraded opamps. His suggestion was to go vivid in the three dual slots and classic in the two single slots. He also suggested that the dual slots were significantly more important in upgrading the sound quality. Being conservative, I decided to start conservatively and only upgrade the dual slots to see if this was good enough. The results were spectacular!

Box.png

However, after hearing the V6 Vivid in action, I decided to change course and go Vivid all the way. The Vivid matches my signature preferences exactly so I figure, if a little is good, more must be better - dangerous, right? In retrospect, it was the right thing to do. Everything did get bigger and better.

Burson Play Upgrade Test Plan
    My goal in testing these two configurations below is to see how well the Play can scale with the better opamps. Since my advice is that upgrading the three dual slots make the most difference, this is where I will start to see how this differs from the basic configuration. The next step is to see if upgrading the 2 additional single slots make enough difference to matter or if upgrading the 3 dual slots are good enough. Of course, as mentioned above, this upgrade is all V6 Vivid opamps. On with the games.

Upgrade Plan:
    1. Add: 3x Dual V6 Vivid Upgrade
    2. Add: 2x Single V6 Vivid Upgrade
    However, let's explore what these ops amps are before we jump into the results.

Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V6

Burson offers a range of opamps from the ones that come in my basic model that look like you would expect, then a version 5, and now the version 6 you see below. As you can see below, these are not typical opamps. Burson designed them to optimize audio performance and I can confirm that this is exactly what they do. Burson says, “V6 Vivid and V6 Classic are the results of over 12 years of research and six generations of designs. They are the most refined we have ever created.”

2 Pics.png

While I will not claim to be an expert in general-purpose IC-based opamp design, Burson lists some of the key features below. All I know is that whatever they are doing is working.

3 Features.png

As you can see below, the three dual V6 Vivid duals cost $200 for part one of this upgrade. The additional 2X V6 Vivid singles cost an additional $70 making the complete update $270. That means a fully upgraded Play will cost you $569.

4 price.png

The Upgrade
    The upgrade process was not that difficult. After watching the video referenced above, I felt comfortable unscrewing the 4 hex screws and removing the top lid. The top lid came off and revealed a diagram on the inside providing you with the layout map to assure that you are messing with the right components. As you can see in the picture below, there is the Vivid and original opamp sitting on the lid so you can see the difference in build. The diagram shows exactly which three original opamps needed to come out to be replaced by the Vivid. I made note of the dot on the original opamps and the direction it faced to correctly put them back just in case. As you can see in the diagram, the opamp sockets have a “U” shaped cutout facing south in this diagram. The dot on the original is facing correctly to replace it. However, the Vivid has the same “U” shaped cutout in its design and in this picture is facing backward to how it is to be inserted. Please make note of this if you do the upgrade yourself as it only is supposed to fit one direction. While the Vivid has protection built in to avoid shorting the socket and chip, the original chip does not – so don’t make that mistake.

5 lid.png

The original build is pictured below so you can see the alignment.

6 Orig.png

To remove the original opamps, after unplugging everything, I used a small flathead screwdriver to gently pry the sides without pins a little at a time, back and forth, until I could safely remove each opamp. This picture below shows the resulting socket and exposes the “U” shaped cutout for correctly aligning the opamps.

7 Sockets.png

Finally, I just carefully dropped each V6 into its slot one at a time until I felt that they were fully seated into the socket.

8 Insert.png

As you can see below, they are rather large. For whatever reason a little bit too large which did not allow me to fully add the cover back after this operation. I ended up adding the front two screws and leaving the back two screws off to provide protection….and I guess a little more ventilation. Oh well, it is minor and nobody has noticed yet. What is important is the sound.

9 Done.png

After testing the 3 dual Vivid opamps, I added the final two single Vivids. There was no difference in adding these single versions, they were pretty much the same as adding the duals - same size/shape and similar-looking slot. The picture below shows all five Vivids installed and powered on.

IMG_1347.JPG

Listening to 3 Dual Vivids
    I originally thought that I would be able to switch back and forth to get an accurate A/B comparison and provide much more detail into the sound quality differentiation but found that the process took to long for my audio memory to be completely accurate. Option 2 was to listen for an hour in basic mode, then upgrade and listen for an hour to see if I could provide an analysis of the differences, then to downgrade back to basic configuration to see how it felt to return. Here is what I had found.

Basic Configuration
    As reported in my Play review, I like the basic play very much and felt that it hits way above its pay grade. The weaknesses that I found were that in comparison to my Hugo 2, it was narrower and not quite as elegantly smooth. They both stressed details and had a rich character, but Hugo 2 was somehow better. The instruments were placed better on the Hugo 2 and the black space seemed more apparent and there was more timbre. However, the $299 Play was not very far from this $2800 Hugo 2.

V6 3x Dual Configuration
    Now this may be a bit of reviewer bias as I don’t have a great A/B setup to quickly go back and forth, but there was something superior to this upgraded setup that was immediately apparent. Things seemed richer, the bass seemed to hit harder and go deeper, and most importantly, the size of the sound stage grew noticeably. The Play now seemed to be more on the Hugo 2 level without the easier to pick out differences. The sound stage width and depth were the most noticeable differences. Side by side with the Hugo 2, there was a smoother elegance still which still puts the Hugo 2 in the lead, but the little noticeable nits that I had previously were all gone. It is close enough, I can see many people saying good enough.

Back to Basic
    Going back to the basic configuration again, was a disturbing process. The basic was now sounding bright and narrow in comparison. Remember, before trying this I had no problem here. The biggest problem I had was a bit narrower sound stage. But now after experiencing the upgrade, it felt claustrophobic. The richness I heard in the basic setup sounded thinner in comparison. It was disturbing enough, that I immediately reconfigured with the upgrade – done deal.

Going all-in - 5x Vivid
    This is where things get interesting. While the 3x dual upgrade was stellar and did not leave me wanting at all after upgrading from the basic configuration, going back and forth from 3 to 5 vivids made it obvious that there was something missing in the 3x approach.

Going 5x Vivid Configuration
    While 3x duals were stellar, to say the least, there were parts of the sound quality that seemed perhaps underpowered or undersized in context with the remaining frequency response. I was thinking that I was exposing flaws in the files given the higher resolution response I was hearing or perhaps it needed to warm up a little more to get that enveloping sound stage. However, I now believe that it is just the lessor basic opamps working in concert with the greater Vivids. I couldn't go back to the basic or the 3x configuration after hearing all 5 duals in action.

Back to 3x Configuration
    Going back and rereading my V6 3x configuration from the last section, my description remains the same with the 5x configuration. However, now I have a much fuller sound across all frequencies without that "dip" I was hearing in the comparison. I also feel like I have better detail retrieval across all frequencies that may have been missing before as well as a little richer sound stage.

Back to Basic Configuration
    Going back to the basic configuration one last time, I could only stand it for 15 minutes before permanently going back to the fully upgraded 5x Vivid Play configuration. Done deal!

Conclusions
    My first conclusion is that a "Basic" $299 Play that can almost stand toe to toe with a $2800 Hugo 2 is a hell of a bargain. My second conclusion is that a $499 upgraded Play that can stand toe to toe with a Hugo 2 is still a hell of a bargain. My third conclusion is that once you go Vivid you will never go back….so don’t try it if you don’t want to spend the money. The basic configuration is good enough, but yes, the Vivid 3x dual upgrade is a significant upgrade.

My final conclusion is that if you go 3x Dual, you have to add the 2x single at $70 for a total $569 to get the Play to sound its best. Once you get past the $200 for the 3x dual, the $70 for the 2x single is a no brainer decision. The Play is already a hell of a bargain. What makes it great is that you can buy your way up as you can afford it. However, if you have the money......don't wait.
  2. Dobrescu George
    Better Desktop Power - Burson Play V6 Vivid OP-AMP
    Written by Dobrescu George
    Published Mar 27, 2019
    Pros - + Very Easy Update Process
    + Clean look if updated properly
    + Inverse Voltage Protection, basically they will survive even if installed the wrong way
    + Good price for their performance
    + Vivid sound, with better detail and better instrument separation
    Cons - - Updating anything manually can be a touch challenging.
    Better Desktop Power - Burson Play V6 Vivid OP-AMPs Update Review

[​IMG]

Burson Play's Vivid OP-AMPs are a rather affordable way of upgrading the sound of your Burson Play, and they are supposed to change the sound quite a bit, thing which I'll be testing in today's review.

Introduction

Burson is a rather large company, known for their very powerful products, with excellent overall price / performance ratio. They are going to help you if you ever have issues with their products, and they already designed some long-lasting devices, so you can expect their creations to last a long while.

It should be noted that I have absolutely no affiliation with Burson, I am not receiving any incentive for this review or to sweeten things out. This review is not sponsored nor has been paid for by Burson or anyone else. I'd like to thank Burson for providing the sample for the review. The sample was provided along with Burson's request for an honest and unbiased review. This review reflects my personal experience with Burson Play V6 Vivid OP-AMPs. Every opinion expressed is mine and I stand by it, the purpose of this review is to help those interested in Burson Play and upgrading its OP-AMPs find their next music companion.

About me

Packaging

The OP-AMPs come in small plastic cases. For a full unboxing of Burson Play, please check my full Burson Play review: https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2018/07/burson-play-desktop-power.html

Burson Play Youtube Video

What to look in when purchasing a high-end DAC/AMP

Build Quality/Aesthetics/UI/Firmware

The OP-AMPs are basically plastic blocks. They come with extra feet installed, you need to uninstall them to be able to close the case of Burson Play after installing them.

The OP-AMPs are red in color.

There's not much to talk about, as I did the installation process in my video on Youtube. Taking the OP-AMPs out of their sockets, and installing the new ones is a very basic process.

Please pay attention to direction and also please pay attention to install the Single and the Dual in the proper sockets. Instructions can be found both in Burson Play's Manual, and on the back of the metallic case of Burson Play.

[​IMG]

The OP-AMPs have a slight ridge at the back, which is also simulated on the socket, installing them in the right direction can be done by checking that out.

Happily, the vivid OP-AMPs have a protection against being inserted the wrong way, but keep in mind that the basic OP-AMPs don't and you will burn the basic OP-AMPs if you don't pay attention to inserting them the right way.

[​IMG]

Since the OP-AMPs are socketed, the upgrade operation is as simple as taking them out of their sockets, and inserting the new one, like inserting RAM into its slots, or like inserting a microSD card, very simple and very hassle-free operation. I don't want to incite mistakes, but I installed them while in my bed, without wearing any kind of anti-static equipment, and they still work very well, so I think you don't have to worry about the circuit board getting fried by static electricity too much. You should also watch my Youtube video if you're curious on how it feels to open Burson Play.

Sound Quality

The sound of the vivid OP-AMPs is just like the name suggests, more vivid than the original OP-AMPs while Play was in its basic shape. The vivid OP-AMPs inject vividness and dynamics into the sound, basically making everything better separated, and giving better depth to the sound. Burson Play already had an amazing wide soundstage, but it wasn't as deep as it was wide, but now with the Vivid OP-AMPs, things are wide and deep, much better layered, and with better depth.

[​IMG]

The bass is very deep, and very quick, yet, if I was to compare the vivid op-amps to the originals, the vivid has better depth, and a slightly more natural speed, almost as if the bass got a tad more gentle and more rounded, with more warmth to it. The bass is still very detailed and very capable, and I'm always smiling while using Burson Play because I am always pairing it with a harder to drive headphone, and I can feel the authority it has with that. Punchy is a very good word to describe the sound of Burson Play, with the Vivid OP-AMPs in general.

The midrange is very clean and clear, but also crispy, and the vivid OP-AMPs seem to have a better detail than the original basic OP-AMPs, but the thing I am noticing the most is the improved texture rendering, the improved dynamics and the more euphonic and more emotional overall tuning. The thing is, the sound is still very linear, but it seems to be able to play the background further away from the listener, while the forward instruments are still fairly forward, basically improving the whole layering and instrument separation. This also makes certain micro-details easier to notice.

The treble is also a touch more sparkly than the original OP-AMPs, but the treble is still rather soft and gentle, it keeps that beautiful character that made me like Burson Play in the first place, but now it seems to be textured a bit more watery and a bit more natural, making it even better than the original OP-AMPs.

Pairing

Burson Play has an extremely powerful power delivery, and a really large amount of power inside. It clearly favors full-sized headphones over IEMs, and besides Final Audio E5000, which paired really well with Burson Play, I'd generally recommend full-sized headphones.

[​IMG]

Burson Play Vivid + Audeze LCD-MX4 - Audeze LCD-MX4 really enjoys the power from Burson Play, and with the vivid OP-AMPs, it also gets a wider soundstage, and better instrument separation. Their very revealing nature makes it very easy to notice how the Vivid OP-AMPs made the sound more dynamic and more punchy, and how they now reveal even more detail.

Burson Play Vivid + Beyerdynamic Amiron - Beyerdynamic Amiron is another headphone great to pair with Burson Play, because they are a high-impedance headphone, and they reveal how good the voltage is within a DAC/AMP (as most current gets filtered by their high impedance). The sound is more soft and musical, more dynamic and more punchy, when compared to Burson Play in its original Basic Configuration.

Burson Play Vivid + HIFIMAN Sundara - HIFIMAN Sundara really loves some good power, and they get very dynamic with a capable source, and happily Burson Play simply does the trick. Now that it is priced at 200 USD, Burson Play basic is one of the DAC/AMPs I can recommend the easiest for HIFIMAN Sundara, and I'm sure that after you'll hear the dynamic, extended and well layered presentation they have together, you'll agree with me. Furthermore, upgrading the OP-AMPs gives it an even better overall dynamics, even more instrument separation, and an even better detail revealing ability, making this pairing a real killer budget cobo for your desktop, one that I often use while working on reviews, or on my games.

Value and Conclusion

The cost of upgrading the original OP-AMPs is pretty varied, depending from where you get the new Vivid OP-AMPs. Burson Play is currently 200 USD new on Burson's site in its basic configuration, making it an absolutely killer deal if you're looking for a great Desktop DAC/AMP, and the upgraded version is 400 USD, still being an excellent overall value.

[​IMG]

Purchasing the basic, and the V6 Op-AMPs separately will cost you more, but they go often on sale on Massdrop, making upgrading the Burson Play basic pretty inexpensive.

Overall, the build quality of the OP-AMPs is great, they are plastic sticks, and they even last if installed the wrong way, and the build quality of Burson Play is still pretty much excellent.

The whole DAC/AMP still gets quite warm during usage, and I wouldn't recommend installing it in a PC case, but it is very practical for usage on a desk.

[​IMG]

At the end of this review, if you're looking for an even more dynamic, more punchy sound, with better layering and better instrument separation, from your Burson Play, and if you'd enjoy tinkering a bit with the socketed OP-AMPs, I think you should totally consider purchasing the vivid OP-AMPs and upgrade your Burson Play!

Full Playlist used for this review

While we listened to considerably more songs than those named in this playlist, those are excellent for identifying certain aspects of the sound, like PRaT, Texturization, Detail, Resolution, Dynamics, Impact, and overall tonality. We recommend trying most of the songs from this playlist, especially if you're searching for new most, most of them being rather catchy.

Tidal Playlist

Kishida Cult - High School Of The Dead
    Dimmu Borgir - Dimmu Borgir
    Breaking Benjamin - I Will Not Bow
    Thousand Foot Krutch - The Flame In All Of Us
    Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
    Infected Mushroom - Song Pong
    Attack Attack - Kissed A Girl
    Doctor P - Bulletproof
    Maximum The Hormone - Rock n Roll Chainsaw
    Rob Zombie - Werewolf, Baby!
    Escape The Fate - Gorgeous Nightmare
    Samsara Blues Experiment - One With The Universe
    Dope - Rebel Yell
    Crazy Town - Butterfly
    Silverstein - My Heroine
    I hope my review is helpful to you!

---

Contact me!

---
      volly likes this.
  3. cqtek
    Hi-End OpAmps
    Written by cqtek
    Published Mar 10, 2019
    Pros - Improve sound in many ways without changing the current system
    Cons - Price a little high
    The OpAmp Rolling is a practice that consists of changing the operational amplifiers of the DAC/DAP/AMP to improve or modify the sound. And when it comes to OpAmp Rolling the first brand that comes to mind is Burson Audio. It is difficult to find such a clearly enthusiastic company in this field, achieving excellent levels of practice.

The latest version of their OpAmp is the V6 and is the result of 12 years of research, concluding that they are the most refined chips they have created. The great peculiarity of these chips is that they are totally built with discrete components, to maximize the final sound quality. Burson is so sure of their quality that they offer a lifetime guarantee.

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 01.jpg
    Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 03.jpg

But the fact of using discrete components has a clear cost: the size. The V6, compared to any other chip of its competition, are almost gigantic. Their design is based on two vertically arranged printed circuit boards, covered with a plastic casing, the upper part of which is conveniently perforated, to ensure the best possible heat evacuation.

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 04.jpg
    Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 05.jpg

There are two models: Vivid and Classic. Each has been designed to offer different sound characteristics. As you can see from the graph below, the Vivid are designed to maximize transparency, detail and soundstage, while the Classic offers a more intimate sound that enhances color and texture.

Grafica V6 Ing.png

Purchase Link and Specifications

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 06.jpg
    Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 07.jpg

Packaging

The chips are bought in pairs. They are boxed specifically for their size and shape: the chips are encased in a foam mould, protected by a translucent, rectangular plastic box with rounded corners. An adhesive seal is placed around the box.

OpAmps are mounted on sockets.

Burson Audio V6 Vivid Dual 01.jpg Burson Audio V6 Vivid Dual 02.jpg

Installation Steps on Burson Audio Playmate

The Playmate features 4 OpAmps: two for the LP Stage & Headamp Output Stage and two for the I/V Stage. All are dual.

Interior Playmate.png

To install the OpAmps you must first remove the sockets on which they are mounted, so that they fit perfectly inside the Playmate. Then they must be placed in the sockets welded to the plate, two by two, as indicated in the manual.

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 09.jpg

The ideal use for the Playmate is to have two V6 Vivid and two V6 Classic, with the purpose of changing their position to obtain different sonorities and to adapt the final result to our tastes.

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 10.jpg

Measurements with the oscilloscope

I measured with a Fluke digital oscilloscope to check the frequency response of the Playmate with the OpAmp V6. The differences in low gain between the standard OpAmps and the V6 are null in terms of frequency response: Totally flat in both.

At high gain the differences are greater, the standard OpAmps are not able to provide such a high output voltage, without visible distortion. Meanwhile, the V6 reaches 6V (and above) offering great linearity without distortion.

FR V6.png

Subjective sound analysis

As I have affirmed, based on the frequency responses, the installation of the V6 does not modify in any way the output signal with respect to the original OpAmp.

However, although the low gain voltage is not modified, the first sensation obtained after installing the V6, is an increase in power, the sound is more powerful and more energetic. This sensation is felt especially in the lower zone: The depth is multiplied, as well as its width, the texture improves, the body is large and the detail is amplified. Something similar happens with the treble, seem to extend beyond the previous limits, giving the sound greater resolution and freshness, raising the micro detail, separation and transparency to a new level.

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 11.jpg

The sound, comparatively speaking, with the standard OpAmp, expands clearly. The second sensation after the change is the greater width of the stage, as well as a substantial improvement in three-dimensionality. Instrumental positioning is more accurate and easier to position, any hint of inaccuracy is lost.

The third sensation that is observed is a clear improvement in the vivacity of the sound, with the OpAmp of standard, the sound is shown something flat, more dull, even darker. With the V6 the sound gains in excitement, becomes more colorful, dynamic and decongested.

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 12.jpg

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 16.jpg

Measurements

Next I leave graphs of realized measurements

Playmate V6 low gain, Volume 99, with all filters

Playmate V6 Distortion High 75.png

Playmate V6 high gain, volume 95, Brickwall filter

Playmate V6 Distortion High 95.png

Conclusions

Users always have several options to improve the sound. One could be to buy a new system, and another could be to buy new OpAmps to modify the sound of their current equipment, whenever possible. Many questions will come up when buying new equipment. However, if you decide to buy new OpAmps, you will not have them: Burson Audio V6 will always be an excellent choice.

Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 13.jpg Burson Audio V6 Classic Dual 15.jpg

You can read this review in spanish here:

4. icsterm
    Burson V6 Vivid & Classic premium op-amps review
    Written by icsterm
    Published Feb 2, 2019
    I have my Burson Fun basic for few months already and I know very well how it sounds, I am pairing it with a FiiO K3 DAC which I find very good sounding as well. I friend of mine told he is rocking the newest premium op-amps from Burson and I was very curious if I could hear a change or even an improvement so I borrowed both pairs two pairs of Burson V6 Vivids and Classic Op-amps.

I’m not much into technical details, but if you are please check their specs page right here: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v6/

I listen mostly to metal music but sometime like to experiment with other genres.

Sound signature

I am listening to my Burson Fun Basic for few months already and I love it as it is. I didn’t want the most revealing and linear sound, I wanted a dynamic and fast sound that would punch my eardrums every time I hit play and Fun is exactly like that.

I started my evaluation listening to the V6 Classics first.

V6 Classic

I am not very good at describing sound changes but I immediately felt like I am staying in a bigger room when I am listening to music. It just decompressed somehow, some people are calling it a bigger soundstage.

V6 Classics definitely sounds “bigger” in all directions like there is a bigger space between me and the music. On my gothic and symphonic metal I really liked this effect, it just felt like being at a live concert somehow.

Besides that, I also felt that guitars have a more believable texture and rumble, the strings vibrations are more life like and more melodious and natural somehow.

The notes also sound a bit clearer like I wiped the noise from that musical notes, hard to explain but V6 Classics sounds clearer, there are new very small details that I am picking from recordings I know for decades, it puts a smile of my face all the times and I wish to rediscover all my music once again.

I expected this op-amps to kick harder and faster but it was not the case, in this regard the stock op-amps are sounding the same.

Sometimes I have a feeling the drums are sounding clearer as well and have a more defining kick, sometimes I am thinking this a placebo effect, so I can be really sure about that.

V6 Vivid

Yes, this is what I am talking about! Definitely better than stock and most probably better than the V6 Classic, at least for my music and my tastes.

I hear a faster and harder kick, this is exactly what I want. Not only that! Bass notes are going deeper and have a longer rumble. My heavy metal tunes never sounded this good with any other gear.

The sound doesn’t seem as “big and wide” as it was with V6 Classic but sincerely I don’t care much about this. Guitars are now having even a harder rumble, very raw sounding somehow, I like this effect quite a lot!

The drums again sound quite similar with the stock op-amps and with V6 Classics, in this regards I found little to no difference at all between all three. The culprit could be my Sennheiser HD650 that are not particularly revealing in this area at all.

My conclusions

I was mighty impressed by the V6 Vivid and liked the V6 Classic only on particular bands/tracks. This is definitely a biased review, but for me and for my tastes V6 Vivid is better.

I see that Burson is offering a lifetime warranty on them so I will be definitely ordering a pair of V6 Vivids for my Burson Fun very soon.

Metal fans out there? Go for the Vivids, you’ll thank me later.

_DSC0179.JPG _DSC0181.JPG V6-S1.jpg
  5. DarKu
    I Vividly think V6 will remain a Classic
    Written by DarKu
    Published Jan 9, 2019
    Burson Audio V6 Vivid & V6 Classic comparative review

V6 vivids 1.png

When I was testing the Burson Fun I quickly realized that it’s among the best sub 500 USD headphone amp I have ever tested. I think Burson Audio really nailed everything about that one, it has power to spare, a strong control over the headphone drivers, it has very low noise with sensitive IEMs and most importantly sounds technical and musical in the same time.

To think that all of that was achieved with two NE5543 op-amps it is almost unbelievable. I say this because NE55xx are really not special at all. I heard them multiple times and spotted them in about every lower tier CD players and DACs but they never really caught my attention. Most of the time they sound dull and muddy, putting a big emphasis on warm notes but really lacking in leading edges of the musical notes.

In its stock form Burson Fun Basic sounds really good but only knowing that it can sound even better than that with a better set of op-amps can really make your nights longer and your sleep time shorter.

Enter Burson Audio own all discrete V6 set of op-amps in Single and Dual variations. It’s V6 because they are already at the 6th revision this time around supporting a wider voltage input and having overall better specs compared to its predecessors.

Burson offers two versions of V6 op-amps: V6 Vivid and V6 Classic (both in single and dual variations).

V6 vivids 2.png

What is so special about them?

So what exactly was improved compared to older generations, do we really need a new revision?

Almost everything inside was retuned, updated and improved: a new enclosure was used with a good ventilation on top (older generations didn’t have that) to better dissipate heat (my older Matrix HPA-3B cooked op-amps faster than a frying pan!), there is also now a reversed power protection circuit, 0.5% tolerance metal film resistors are now being used and both input and output stages are now using hand matched FET transistors. Quite an upgrade isn’t it?

Burson Audio dedicated much love and passion into making them that they are offering lifetime warranty for every op-amp that leaves the factory, that’s über cool!

Of course, none of the above will matter if V6 will sound bad so let’s make some serious listening sessions and compare both to the NE5543.

Sound impressions

V6 Vivid

v6 vivids 3.png

V6 Vivids came first, swapping them is actually easier than expected. I used the Burson Fun for the listening tests and comparisons connected to a Matrix X-Sabre PRO DAC fed by a high quality X-SPDIF 2 interface.

I swapped both NE5543 with two single V6 Vivids and started listening to almost anything that came up on the Tidal playlist.

After first few seconds I realized I am dealing with a clearer and a faster sound. I’m more of a rock listener and I always crave for a faster transient response with harder hitting notes and to a clean as possible presentation.

Funny thing is that V6 Vivid sounds exactly like that but let’s go deeper in the rabbit hole. Sennheiser HD660S that I am using right now are not among the fastest headphones and sometimes I really miss my former Audeze LCD-4 for their lightning speed and impact.

With V6 Vivids, HD660S are sounding clearly faster, the edges of the notes are also somehow clearer and sharper, guitar strings have a clearer leading edge and vibrate with more life this time around.

Bass notes not only hitting me harder but they also delve deeper into the mix. Try some Infected Mushroom or Chemical Brothers with a set of V6 Vivids and the smile on your face is guaranteed. Bass lovers will really appreciate what Vivids can deliver. The best part? Bass not only is faster and deeper but it is clearer, easier to spot in small passages and does not overshadow other notes. It’s clear, crisp, fast and deep.

Midrange performance was improved as well but not in such a big way. Overall voices are sounding clearer and more defined. In time I also observed that vibration of the voices is not as long as with NE5543. On a closer inspection I realized NE5543 is making all the voices and string instruments sound longer having a slower decay. Depends on what you like, I’m personally not impressed by longer decays of any musical note (that is one of the reasons I am not a tube guy anymore).

NE5543 most of the time sounds like tube gear that is warm, a little dull, inviting but lacks micro-details, speed and impact.

V6 Vivid is almost like a total opposite of that, think of a vintage car VS a race car.

Other thing that caught my attention at a later stage is depth. To really appreciate depth, I fired some live recordings where it’s easier to spot changes in the soundstage width and depth. To me Vivids sound deeper and an imaginary wall is being hit at a later time compared to NE5543. Soundstage width on the other hand is almost identical between the two. It’s pretty wide and well spread, nothing more, nothing less. In my opinion V6 Vivid has a great depth and a good well spread soundstage (but not the widest).

V6 Classic

v6 classic 1.png

Next on the test bench came the V6 Classics. To better evaluate them I listened to full albums on NE5543 first, later on V6 Vivids and latest on V6 Classics.

On the very first listen of a live recording I spotted a wider sound, there is a bigger space between the notes, between the singers and the crowd, it’s like I have an easier task to hear what’s going on and more time to evaluate every note. To me V6 Classics have the widest soundstage of the bunch it is really something special with the right music. V6 Classic has also a somewhat longer decay of notes (vs Vivids) but not too long as it is the case with NE5543.

On faster electronica notes are not sounding hysterical at all, bass notes are not as deep this time around and chest thumping bass is spotted not as often. Bass quantity and quality stays somewhere between V6 Vivid and NE5543. Its very good but not overdone, nor too thin, just the right amount.

Midrange performance is where things are more interesting in my opinion. Voices are literally reaching to your soul and offers more body to the listener, it’s a very life like presentation. There is a bigger presence in this region compared to other op-amps.

In my opinion midrange performance together with a wider stage is where the V6 classic shines and shows all its glory.

Overall V6 Classics have a warmer sound signature but in a good way, by that I mean that treble quality is not affected as is the case on the NE5543.

Speaking about the treble I can say it is mellower compared to V6 Vivid but clearer compared to NE5543. There is no sign of brightness whatsoever, in this regard V6 Classic have a more natural and easy-going presentation. It is quite difficult deciding which one I prefer but I give a slight edge to V6 Vivid just because of an overall clearer presentation and a faster transient response.

NE5543

What can I say, in some devices those can really suck, in other ones they can really shine. They do sound more than good in the Burson Fun in the Basic form, that actually shows how much time Burson invested in making that combination sounding good.

However, Burson Fun together with any of the V6 op-amps is completely in another league. Just few seconds are needed to realize that V6 improve a lot of things, not only the frequency response, much more than that.

Conclusion

If you already own a capable DAC or headphone amp that uses socketed op-amps I would definitely recommend trying out the V6 series of op-amps from Burson. It’s hard going wrong with any of them. If you want deep reaching and hard-hitting bass with an obscene levels of micro-detail and great depth, then V6 Vivid would be your best bet. Do you listen to a lot of classical music, lounge, jazz, smooth and relaxing tunes, love a wide spread soundstage and hate brightness? Then V6 Classic is what will make you smile.

I for one will stick with V6 Vivid and will soon fire another album. Cheers mates!

V6 VIVID

PROS:

• Great kick, speed and impact
    • High level of transparency and airiness
    • Big sense of power and control
    • Deep reaching stage
    • Sturdy and quality construction
    • Good price for great performance
    CONS:
    • Treble can be overdone sometimes
    V6 CLASSIC
    PROS:

• Natural sound with a great flow
    • A very airy presentation
    • Impressively wide soundstage
    • Sturdy and quality construction
    • Good price for great performance
    CONS:
    • Slight sound coloration (Inverted-U frequency response)
    Associated Equipment:
  6. Mij-Van
    Red and Orange Candies
    Written by Mij-Van
    Published Nov 20, 2018
    Pros - Magic in a small box.
    Great soundstage with rich colors.
    Cons - Expensive.
    Burson V6 .jpg

This is a review of Burson Audio high end V6 op-amps.

After reading a lot about different op-amps, I was very curious to try and test V6 Vivids and V6 Classics by Australian company Burson Audio. The Vivids are red and the Classics orange - with white kangaroo jumping! This takes away the tech or industrial look, and make them looking like candies. You can purchase the op-amps directly through the Burson website. It is easy and very friendly experience.

As double-bass and sub-bass fan, I have chosen a wide set of music containing deepest notes of bowed and plucked bass, plus some serious organ pedal tones. That’s the area where you need perfect control to be able to follow the line down under. Being biased towards deep and rich bass region and allergic to bright and sibilant treble, after reading so many reviews about the Vivids and Classics, I had a strong prejudice that I will prefer the warm Classics over the more shiny Vivids. Would the testing confirm my expectations?

THE SOUND:

Vivids - I have started with the Vivids, in order to appreciate later more the Classics, or so I thought. Switching from the NE 5534 to the Vivids, the sound lost the hardness and got noticeable transparency. Listening with the Vivids was like using a magnifying glass, there were plenty of micro-details, with very high contrast and sharpness. It was so easy to follow deep double-bass lines, every note got some shimmering aura around it, there was clear start and stop and air around the notes. The soundstage was big, expansive and very realistic. The midrange was slightly recessed, but using mainly Sennheiser headphones that was just the right compensation. Treble had some sparkle but it was not too bright or sibilant, only slightly more present than the mids. Going back to the underground department and listening more of Gary Karr’s double-bass recordings, I got so used to this clear, precise and alive sound, that I had a feeling of real 3D double bass playing in front of me.

Classics - Switching to the Classics, the sound got warmer and more relaxed, more natural in general and the treble was not so upfront anymore. On the other hand, the articulation and resolution of the low notes lost some edge and sounded less distinctive and slightly veiled. The mids were richer, but somehow Senns being already mid-centric didn’t benefit much from this. The sound of Classics, although very relaxed and easy-going had somewhat less of their own character and was not so captivating as the Vivids. They had narrower and more intimate soundstage, making them better for vocal and chamber music, but for my music preferences I was surprised that I actually preferred the Vivids.

Comparison - I have started the review with a prejudice that Classics will suit more to my listening preferences, but have ended liking the Vivids slightly more. The Classics were pleasing, warm, cozy sounding suitable for close-your-eyes and enjoy-your-drink type of listening. The Vivids were more energetic, shiny and most of all they have some edge around the notes without sounding harsh or aggressive. This helped the deeper notes to be followed easier. However both Vivids and Classics are clear upgrades and they really lift the sound of your equipment to the higher league.

Now I am just imagining Burson continuing their development with other op-amps. We have Reds and Oranges. What’s next, Greens, Yellows, Blues or Purples? Until then staying with the Vivids, which made me rediscover my music collection.

Burson Vivids and Classics.jpg
      raoultrifan and DjBobby like this.
  7. DjBobby
    V6 Sports Opamps Race
    Written by DjBobby
    Published Nov 11, 2018
    Pros - Excellent way to fine tune your equipment.
    Excellent build and sound quality.
    Clear upgrade over stock op-amps.
    Cons - Needs high quality equipment to really shine.
    This a review of the Burson’s V6 Vivid vs V6 Classic opamps, tested in Burson's Fun headphone amp. I have previously reviewed the Burson Fun headphone amp in the basic version, if you are interested you can read the full review here: "FUNky FUNtastic".

The Fun in the basic version uses 2 x NE5543 and can be upgraded by any compatible opamps. Burson offers their house opamps Vivid Single and Classic Single, which cost $70 for a pair. You can find the technical part and all the details on Burson website.

Because swapping opamps is not so quick and easy, I have somewhat changed the methodology of comparing these 2 different opamps, as compared to any other audio gear, in order not to damage them. Changing the opamps after every single piece of music would be an overkill, so I have decided to listen them in blocks of music. A block of classical music with several longer pieces each, a block of jazz, pop, rock, world music etc. Listening this way runs into the risk to rely more than usual on your ear memory than when you are listening song for song with two different sources, but this was for me mandatory for the safety of the opamps. I could not imagine swapping them 60 times over and over again, as I have listened to 60 different pieces of music :).

Sound impressions:

First impression you get either Vivids or Classics is of the highly sophisticated sound. Once you hear the Fun with any of them, there is no back to the stock opamps. You can feel and sense the premium quality, like when sitting in new sports car. Everything is more polished, cleaner, faster and more noble. This is the word which came most of the time to my mind throughout this review – noble. These are premium quality no-nonsense products.

The V6 Vivids:
    I like cars and I like audio. The first funny thought which crossed my mind while first listening to Vivids was that it reminded me of the BMW. Fast, shiny, nervous, energetic. The music sounds clean, polished and fast so that you sit at the edge of your seat. Tremendous details, big and spacious soundstage. It works particularly well with symphonic classical music and live rock concerts. Everything has a grandeur to it, you feel like being in big concert venue and feeling the atmosphere around you. The image is very sharp and the localization of instruments precise. Everything feels like you have sharpened to the max the contrast setting on your TV. Plenty of details and rich colors, the bass is tight and punchy, mids very detailed and the treble has sparkle without sounding sharp or sibilant. It sounded particularly great with old live recording of Child in Time from Deep Purple’s album "Made in Japan". You could almost touch the audience around you and sense the forward energy of the band.

IMG_5733.jpg

The V6 Classics:

The Classic reminded of Mercedes with leather and mahogany. Smooth, relaxed, laid back. No need to drive fast, it is more about enjoyment. The soundstage is smaller and more intimate, you feel like the band is playing only for you in a smaller club. Works particularly well with the solo and chamber music, with the jazz where you can feel the intimate atmosphere of the smokey club and with the old rock. ZZ Top sounded just right with almost tube-like warmth in the guitar solos. There was slightly less details and less sparkle on the top, without sounding dull. More smooth, creamy chocolate treble. You can forget easier with Classics that you are listening to machines and get carried away with the music.

Comparison:
    Vivid offers more energetic sound suitable for daytime active listening. Classics offer more relaxed, smooth sound for night time listening.
    Vivid offers more details, sharper imaging and bigger soundstage. Classics offer smooth and creamy chocolate sound.
    Vivids amaze you with details which pop out of the recording, but it is more the admiration for the technical excellence. The Classics put more emotion into the music, has something vinyl-like, slightly tube-like sound signature and is more forgiving to the bad recordings.

IMG_5735.jpg

I have seen many designs which offer a choice of switchable solid state and the tube amplification in the same unit. You can just switch between SS and tube easily. If Burson would make something like this, where you could easily switch between 2 different opamps from the outside of the case, it would be the killer amp. Second solution would be to position the opamps protruding the case, like with the tube amps, where you could swap the opamps from outside the case, without opening the unit. I have opened and closed my Fun few times, and the srews already look beaten and dented. Probably after 5-6 more opening they would be not so nice. And the last, most expensive solution would be, to have 2 separate Fun units, one with the Vivid and one with the Classics preinstalled, so that you can use each one of them according to your mood.

IMG_5737.jpg

V6 Vivids or V6 Classics? BMW or Mercedes? It is a very tough call indeed. Between Vivids and Classics it’s an equal game. No clear winner for me, both have their strengths and own uniques qualities.

If you have neutral dac and darker headphones and listen to your music active (daily listening), if you like highly detailed and analytical sound without sounding cold, like big soundstage and listen a lot of live recorded concerts - then go for the Vivids.

If you have Sabre based dac and have brighter headphones like AKGs, you listen more during nighttime, if you like smooth sound without the sharpness and glare, if you like more intimate atmosphere with musicians playing in your living room - go for the Classics.

For sure the Fun upgraded with any of V6 singles, will be a great step up. I had to decide which one will stay in my Fun for now. As I am listening during daytime mostly through loudspeakers and using headphones in the night, I have decided to stay with the Classics. But am already missing the Vivids.
      raoultrifan, Mij-Van and Alcophone like this.
  8. TheBIGKill1998
    Quite nice, bur for a hefty price
    Written by TheBIGKill1998
    Published Jul 20, 2018
    Pros - Details, Soundstage, overall soundquality, build quality
    Cons - Price, (Size), not the biggest upgrade to the V5
    Before i start my review of the Burson Audio V6 Vivid Opamp, i would like to say thank you to Burson Audio for giving me the chance to test the V6 discrete opamp in exchange for nothing but my honest opinion, which is represented by this review.

When the unit arrived...

[​IMG]

The V6 arrived in a little padded plastic box. Its nothing too special, but i think its important to mention that the V6 arrived without any damages.

As soon as the V6 arrived, i installed it in my little dot. The V6 is pretty big, just like the V5. Lucky for me that i tested the V5 before and that i have soldered my own extension cord for the Burson Audio opamps before i conducted the V5 testings. So i also used my self made extension cord for the V6s testing sessions (as seen in the picture below).

[​IMG]

When installing the V6 i noticed that it is just as sturdy built as the V5, which will surely impact its lifespan positively.

The Testing:

I tested the V6 by listening to Punk Rock, Alternative Rock, Classis Rock and Heavy Metal aswell as by playing Video Games like Overwatch and by watching movies.

The Gear i used for the Testing:

PC -> Tascam us-1x2 -> little dot 1+ -> analog audio attenuator made by fostex (only used to keep the noise level down) -> Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm

[​IMG]
    For testing the V6 i used the Yugoslavian 6HM5 tubes in my little dot amp.

Some general things i noticed:

When listening to mainly acoustic songs (like Swing Life Away by Rise Against) everything sounded very natural and quite warm. The representation of the Vocals is quite realistic and it is possible to hear quite a lot of details very clearly.

Comparison to other opamps (LM4562na, Burson Audio V5):

[​IMG]

Compared to the LM4562na the V6 is a really nice improvement. The bass is punchier and better controlled, whilst the mids sound more realistic (especially vocals). The Treble department seems to be filled with more details and more sparkle in general. The biggest improvement was done to the Soundstage. Width as well as depth have increased, which is especially audible when playing games with very nice audio (like Overwatch) or when listening to songs which are wonderfully mastered (just like "Where is my mind" by the Pixies).

The difference between the LM4562na and the Burson Audio V6 is quite audible, and the V6 surely is an improvement.

Compared to the V5 the V6 was not the biggest upgrade. The sound of the V6 seems to be a little teeny tiny bit warmer and punchier than the sound of the V5. Also the soundstage provided by the V6 seems to be a little bit more spatial. Basically there is no big, or no, difference here.

Conclusion:
    I am quite sceptical when it comes to opamp rolling, but the V6 (just as the V5 did before) once again showed me that there are indeed quite audible improvements in sound quality. I would by no means call myself an "audiophile", lets just say, that i enjoy having a very nice audio quality when gaming or when listening to music.
    At a price point of 70 bucks, i probably would not have bought the V6 due to its price tag. Even tho it is a very nice opamp, the price tag simply is set too high for me. Anyhow, its up to you to decide how much you pay for your sound quality. And if you personally have no problem with paying such a price, the V6 definitely is a nice choice.
      raoultrifan likes this.
  9. snellemin
    Burson Audio Supreme V6 Classic
    Written by snellemin
    Published Jan 17, 2018
    Pros - Makes my closed back headphones sound like my old home stereo.
    Cons - Too big for portable amps
    Charles at Burson provided me samples of the V6 Classics for my opinion in my setups.

Equipment used are:

Ibasso PB2 with 8 buffers in wide bandwidth mode. Extra Wima caps on the opamps and upgraded the stock caps. Power supply used is at 16.8V.
    Ibasso DB2 Dac with Muses 8832 opamps.
    Various iem's and JVC headphones.
    Player is Foobar, with Bootsy VST and GEQ-7 VST.

So, I installed the pair of classics into my Ibasso PB2. They sounded way to sharp when plugged in. It toned down after a bit of use. Burn in I'm guessing....

I feel that the V4 Burson's are still my favorite in the low-end department. Love those opamps!

The V5i sounds really nice in the PB2. Nice smooth topend. Non fatiguing. Lowend is snappy when needed. And these are my daily drivers for portable use.

The V6 Classic sounds really good in the PB2. Too bad it's a portable unit. I can't close the case with these V6's installed. My fav JVC headphones sounds even more like my old home stereo setup, which consisted of B&K components, ADS and B&O speakers. I can only imagine what these opamps will do in the Parasound equipment once I get another setup. I'll update this review once I get another Parasound Zamp and Zpre setup.

So with the previous Burson opamps, I heard an improvement in the overall sound with burn in. The V6 Classic kinda behaves like my old B&K amplifier. It sounds it's best once it get warm. Kinda cool I think. So I don't think long burn in is really needed with these opamps. But rather warming it up for a bit, true use. Or never turn off your setup, like I use to do with my home setups.
    The V6 Classic vocals come out more to the front. Instruments are better separated. The highs are more pronounced, but non-fatiguing. The bass is there when called for. So easy to close your eyes and just jam away with your fav tunes.
    For bassheads like myself, the Classics are worth having over the V5 and V5i's. Subbass goes deep, clean.

Details.....the finger snapping in the beginning of Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson are so pronounced.
    Vocals in On a Mission by Phibes are so smooth, with no sharp edges.
    Blue by Marina and the Diamonds is so enjoyable.
    Gravity by Maxi Priest sounds proper. Instruments are so much more detailed.
    Departure by Hotei bass lines are so well blended.
    The 24-36hz bass notes in Bass Airwaves are so clean. Zero distortion.
    The male and female vocals in Majestic love by Gyptian and Estelle are so well defined.
    J Boog male slight harsh vocals in Love me are so well produced.

20180117_094625.jpg
  10. alphanumerix1
    Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V6 Vivid
    Written by alphanumerix1
    Published Oct 25, 2017
    Pros - Improvement in sound quality coming from stock op-amps.

Sound stage, Imaging, Details
    Cons - Price, Size
    Review Burson Audio Supreme sound Opamp V6 vivid

Equipment used:

Asus essence stx

Burson V6 vivid x 3

Sennheiser hd600

Audio technica ad900

Preamble:

This is where the Burson Audio V6 comes in,

Summary: So, when I comes down to the nitty gritty would I recommend the Burson Audio V6. Short answer is yes. If you have a headphone with you pleased with and looking for the extra something from your source the v6 can be great option. Pros: Easy plug and play installation strong after sales support from Burson Audio and improvement in sound quality Cons: Size, price. With the pros outweighing the cons i can recommend the The Burson Audio V6 opamp without hesitation.
      raoultrifan likes this.

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!