This amplifier is a jaw breaker from my perspective. Ok, there are some areas where you can find better. It doesn't shine with very, very efficient IEMs, and of course it won't amplify HE6.
However, if you will be using it with a moderate power requiring headphone, I think that it would be very hard to find a portable amplifier better than this... at any price.
What I love about it the most is the effortless, natural sound signature it has, followed by an excellent bass, superb midrange, *very* clean sound, spacious and holographic soundstage.
It also has good details and natural transient response. The sound signature is a little bit on the warm side.
To get all from this amplifier, you should pair it with a good DAC. Will try it with Chord Mojo soon!
Small Comparison to FiiO E12A
I won’t loose too much time on this comparison. Overall I ended up preferring the Aune B1 and not by a small margin. B1 sounds considerably more natural and organic. The sound is more dynamic and decompressed on B1 (E12A sounding a little flat/dry in comparison) , with better transparency and details.
The bass on B1 kicks ass compared to the one on E12A, the midrange is better textured and more detailed, while the treble is smoother and more detailed in the same time on Aune.
- Excellent bass with wonderful extension, control and punch
- Rich and detailed midrange
- Smooth, detailed and sparkly treble
- Excellent vocals
- Very natural and clean sound
- Very spacious and natural soundstage
- Very good transients
- Very good imaging and instrument separation
- Excellent price for what it offers
- The volume knob and switches are made of plastic
- Position of the volume knob and gain switch are not very fortunate
- Gets quite hot if you want to use it in your pockets. If it's winter this is a pro )