Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Aug 9, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #1,021 of 1,068

Im also a Huge PK2 lover and have owned Grado 325 - However the Fidue A83 is stunning and way 'better' than than even these two!!! Try to demo a pair

Wow that is expensive!

Thanks for the recommendation Jon, but I'm not sure I can afford to go for that.

One of the appeals of PK2 is that they're cheap compared to the sound they produce and look genetic (a plus in my book).

I'm very impressed how unanimously highly they are rated, I'll write that name down, in case I have a crazy spending spree.

Thanks!

Admitedly I had to sell a pair of expensive phones to buy them but was it worth it? OH YEAH (there is a 2nd hand pair out there for £140) It is quite an investment but Im now in the happy place of ending my dream headphone search. Im pairing them with the iBasso DX90 and really i couldn't be happier.
Have you tried the Titan 1? They are a lot cheaper and have a huge following here?

I agree though, the PK'2 are stunning headphones :D

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,022 of 1,068
Admitedly I had to sell a pair of expensive phones to buy them but was it worth it? OH YEAH (there is a 2nd hand pair out there for £140) It is quite an investment but Im now in the happy place of ending my dream headphone search. Im pairing them with the iBasso DX90 and really i couldn't be happier.
Have you tried the Titan 1? They are a lot cheaper and have a huge following here?

I agree though, the PK'2 are stunning headphones :D

What do you like about Fidue A83 over PK2s? Are they as forward sounding as PK2? I like PK2's "right in front of you" sound.

Have you tried Sennheiser IE8? I wonder how that compares to Fidue, since it's in the same price range.

Haven't heard of Titan 1, I'll look at them.

Thank You!

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,023 of 1,068
Hello,

I have been in this 'hobby', if one could in fact, call this a hobby, for a number of years. Throughout that time, I have foolishly spent thousands of dollars chasing the 'magic dragon', if you will. Chasing that, which we refer to as 'Audio Nirvana'. Trying to obtain the unattainable. The golden sound. The perfect sound. The BEST possible sound. Ahhhh, what a joke.

Like some of you, I have an affliction. I have an addiction. Rather, I have a fatal flaw. It is referred to as obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD.

I concede, I am not an audiophile. I WAS, however, a music lover.

As we all know, everyone's ears are shaped differently. Mine look very 'normal' in size and shape. However, they just don't allow for earbuds. Its very close, mind you, they simply just fall out too easily. First, I tried felt sleeves. In fact, I tried several thicknesses of felt sleeves. Still, they fell out. Next, I tried the plastic variety. Still, they fell out. 9 years ago, aftermarket ear hooks, ear wings, whatever you refer to them as, those plastic jobs that help hold earbuds in place, they were not prevalent, either they did not exist, or were not readily available to the market place.

Well, my love of music, and my need for headphones that fit drew me to the Mecca, that which is head-fi.org. And so, it began.

Somewhere along the line, my love of music, got replaced with a love of headphones. Which then spawned into an costly affair centered around boutique 2 channel audio gear. But that's a conversation for another forum.

Back to head-fi. During the past 9 years, I have purchased, owned or auditioned quite a number of headphones ranging from circumaural (around-ear) to supraaural (on-ear) as well in-ear monitors of varying prices. I admit to purchasing a number of FOTM variety (flavor of the month for those unfamiliar). I have also heavily modified my own headphones, ranging from experimenting with damping materials, varying amounts of damping, hard-wiring headphone cables, silver solder, solid wire, silver wire, braided wire, stranded wire, different dielectrics and jackets, connectors, adapters, etc., etc. OCD Madness. 

I drank the kool-aid. 

Thankfully, I am in recovery. Part of that recovery, is sharing my experience and possibly helping others avoid the 'mistakes' I have made.

I am reviving this dead thread with one objective in mind.

For the few, who may happen across this thread... I hope to enlighten those going down this dark evil path. Yes, you are spiraling down the rabbit hole. Yes, this is The Matrix. Unplug yourself. Dramatic enough!!?!? 

The Truth is, there is no spoon. Wait, that's not it. The Truth is, there is NO golden grail for headphones. Stop spending your hard earned money chasing the magic dragon.

These Yuin PK1 headphones are The Truth.

Listen, all joking aside. These headphones, rather earbuds, yes they are earbuds, are simply outstanding. Attempting to dissect their performance in order to describe they sound signature is trivial. Forget the aesthetics, frequency response curves, measurements, marketing hype, reviewer awards and all that other noise. These earbuds are a revelation of sorts. They are wonderful.

But, yeah, there's always a but, these headphones have 2 flaws, both of which, are by design, and therefore, cannot be avoided:

1) They are earbuds, they do not isolate outside noise and they will leak a moderate amount of sound relative to the output level/volume.
2) They have 150ohms impedance, which means they require a little more juice than a typical device (smartphone, DAP, laptop, tablet, etc.) can output to really come alive.

With those caveats noted, do yourself a huge, huge favor. Get a pair of these earbuds. If your ears are shaped like mine, get some earhoox or something similar to help keep them in place. Once you give these a listen, through a device with some drive (ie. Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2, CEntrance DACport HD, Meridian Explorer, etc.) you will question why you would EVER need anything else much better than this.

[COLOR=808080]I don't post very often, but, how about that for a 400th post!?[/COLOR]

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,025 of 1,068
beerchug.gif
I hear you.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,028 of 1,068
LOL - I'm owned my fair share and I'll admit I've had my share of the kool-aid. I don't buy into the FOTM anymore especially with the driver count wars and the use of exotic metals and materials that IMO, the only purpose is to jack up the already insane prices. Through thick and thin over the years, my PK2, Denon AH-C700, and Ortofon E-Q7 has stood the tests of time despite being forgotten or considered obsolete. As you may tell, I'm a single driver type of guy.

Sorry for the spew. 

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,029 of 1,068
alpha421 i hear u my brother.

For me... it took a long time to realize the "better" the headphones and/or components got, the worst the sound became.

I don't listen to 'audiophile-grade' recordings. I can appreciate classical, enjoy live Jazz, but I would rarely, if ever, listen to the 'Diana Krall' with any sort of regularity.

The "better" the components get, the more flat and linear the impulse and frequency response the more sterile and boring these devices are to listen to. This is amplified when listening to 'poor' or lower quality recordings which make up the large portion of most of our libraries.

For the music I enjoy, having equipment which exhibits extreme Linearity that microscopically dissects the recording robs the life, robs the soul of the music.

I have learned that equipment must be auditioned. Specs, graphs, reviews, etc. None of that can translate into whether or not you will have an emotional connection with the music. It can't tell you if you will actually enjoy it. More often than not, after spending obscene amounts of money we try to force ourselves to fall in love it but ultimately end up regretting the purchase.

Which brings me full circle. Yuin PK1. Best purchase I ever made in this mind-numbing 'hobby'.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,030 of 1,068
Indeed, the road down one's audio nirvana is full of bumps and little side roads of distraction.  I went down the road looking for purity in the wrong areas that made listening unenjoyable for the long term thinking that anything that colors is bad and anything not linear in frequency response takes away from the so-called truth; which truth be told, I was fine for a few months, but beyond that I no longer found listening enjoyable or most importantly an emotional experience.  Back when the HD600 was TOTL, and the Yuin PK1 was making a reputation for itself, I discovered the mini and truly portable HD600 sound with the PK1. If fact, I went balls out and was the third owner of the solid silver core cable mod done by EFN.  I wish I still had it. The beauty of all Yuins is their hidden sonic magic in a shell that looks like it came from the dollar store - lol. I may pick up the PK1 or OK1 later down the road.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,031 of 1,068
I absolutely agree. Complete misconception. Peddling the thought that a colored headphone or any gear for that matter is wrong. Trying to convince people, that the most flat and linear frequency response is correct. Insane. 

Its just like how we relate tubes to "warm" sound when that couldn't be any further from the truth. False propaganda. 

Solid state can be warm and lush. Tube can be cold and sterile. 

It all comes down to how the gear was designed, implemented and voiced by the manufacturer.

I have learned that the gear that is the most enjoyable tends to have a personality of sorts. 

The Yuin PK1 has a wonderfully musical personality. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,032 of 1,068

Its just like how we relate tubes to "warm" sound when that couldn't be any further from the truth. False propaganda. 

Solid state can be warm and lush. Tube can be cold and sterile. 

Boy is that true. My SS amp is warm and lush and my Tube amp is incredibly detailed with black backdrop and can be stark naked sounding with some tubes.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #1,034 of 1,068
Anyone know where to order the donut/foams with holes? I can only find the normal full covering ones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back