Woo Wes or BHSE
Aug 21, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #62 of 161
Sorry, when you said "to reproduce that" I took that to mean 100KHz.  I know the Blue Hawaii is 3 dB down at 400KHz according to KG's website if that interests anybody.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #64 of 161
You can measure the frequency response (in Hertz) of an audio component like an amp.  Different amps have different frequency responses.  It is common for people to quote how 'far' the amp can go on both ends of the spectrum before tapering off a certain number of decibals.  3 dB is a very common figure to use there, as it is in many audio applications (I believe it is percieved by the ear as being a multiple - 'twice as loud' - though that may be 6dB, I can't remember right now).  What can be taken from that measurement is that the amp is flat from DC to 400,000Hz.  Some amps don't measure as flat, being 3 dB down within the audible spectrum (generally taken as 20-20,000 Hz) isn't even that uncommon.  

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #65 of 161

Quote:
You can measure the frequency response (in Hertz) of an audio component like an amp.  Different amps have different frequency responses.  It is common for people to quote how 'far' the amp can go on both ends of the spectrum before tapering off a certain number of decibals.  3 dB is a very common figure to use there, as it is in many audio applications (I believe it is percieved by the ear as being a multiple - 'twice as loud' - though that may be 6dB, I can't remember right now).  What can be taken from that measurement is that the amp is flat from DC to 400,000Hz.  Some amps don't measure as flat, being 3 dB down within the audible spectrum (generally taken as 20-20,000 Hz) isn't even that uncommon.  

confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #67 of 161
Would adding a WEE to my Leben CS300XS be a considerable upgrade over my SRM727II?

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #73 of 161
If I am going to get the WES, I would get it maxxed out but leave the tube upgrade. I believe that vintage NOS tubes would certainly outclass the so called tube upgrades they offer? Will I have to re-adjust the bias though?

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #75 of 161

Quote:
Could amplifiers reach 100,000 hz ?  My old Harmon Kardon amplifier had such claim.  Live music goes beyond human hearing limit and to reproduce that would give similar "live" feeling.  

I doubt that one hears anything in this frequency region at all.  Possibly a high frequency response going beyond audibility pays off in amplifier performance by reducing some kind of distortion which does end up in the audible region. 

At the low end of hearing, eg. below 20Hz, what you don't hear you could feel so that does definitely matter.

In sound waves as in light waves, there are limits  to what people can detect.  People vary as to just where these limits are but once you get beyond them any energy in these regions just doesn't matter to hearing or seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back