What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #3,556 of 14,566
Manaus! The full Amazonas experience. Not many folks who have been in Brasil can say they have been there.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #3,557 of 14,566
Thanks, Baldr, for all the clarifications. Now, there's a question about transports I've been wanting to ask for quite some time.
In a separate transport and DAC playback system (such as, for example, a CD player connected to a DAC via one of its digital outputs) how important is the transport internal clock? Will in this case the DAC clock do all the work, regardless of transport's own one? or, on the contrary, will a DAC benefit from a quality clock on the transport side? I'm thinking in particular to such an advanced digital clock as Schiit's Adapticlock. Does it make sense to match it with a high quality clock on a CD player/CD transport? Or a great drive mechanism combined with a quality power transformer and quality digital outputs should be enough? In other words, does it make any sense replacing the original clock on a vintage transport with a newer (supposedly more accurate) one, if one has Schiit's Adapticlock (or comparable quality) reclocking system?
Thanks, as always, for your ever informative replies.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3,558 of 14,566
There was a cry of shame on me for making the MP a separate box. True, that is the original plan is to make it a separate box. That said, there is no point in disallowing the inclusion of it in the Yggy as an accessory. It is a power supply impossibility in Gungnirs or Bifrosts, but could go in an Yggy, at least in theory. Given that it is a music processor, All of must bear in mind that all audio components we buy are either analog or digital signal processors. Since the MP is a music processor, it makes sense to physically segregate it from the rest of the reproduction chain if for no other reason than UI.

I will be most interested in buying the MP as an upgrade accessory to my Yggy, as it would not add another box and at least two more cords (USB and power).

Wonder if it could be made an optional DIY customer install as to not swamp Schiit customer service when it's initially released.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #3,559 of 14,566
I should probably re-clarify a couple of things. First, making a mechanical item such as a transport in quantity is a road I have not traveled in a long, long, time and is a pain in the arse. Therefore, please do not hold your breath waiting for a Schiit Transport. The reasons are that the transport mechanism itself is very critical. The flimsy units proper to laptops jitter around all over the place. Far better are those older, larger, ones designed for desktop PCs. Unfortunately,they are getting very difficult to source in production quantities. Ugh! Neither fun nor appealing.
As far as how important the clocks go, they are all important. Years ago, I came to realize that a chain of jitter in different components is most important right at the DAC chip. This means that the later the low jitter determinant, the better. What most all others overlook is that the frequency component of jitter also matters. A phuc ton. But to comment on transport clocks/jitter: the lower the better and the easier it is to fix later.
RE the MP, yes it can fit power wise and size into an Yggy. It will NOT fit into a Gumby or Bimby. That said, it requires a UI. This UI does not exist on the Yggy as they are completely different processors. Therefore, an Yggy MP add-on is not suitable until totally automatic operation has been finished. We are not likely to be there for a while. We have the automatic, but it takes too long to get there.
This means that MPs will definitely be standalone for quite a while.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 6, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #3,561 of 14,566
@Baldr,
I ask this wishing to learn and I don't claim to know better than anyone, these are just my own questions / observations / experiences.

My question: Is a perfectly ripped cd stored in lossless format equal or superior to a cd transport in sound quality?

I use a program that offsets the bits of ripped data based on your individual cd rom, and once it rips each track it analyzes it for errors, comparing against a database of known perfect rips.

I confess I know absolutely nothing about transport design and whether or not it uses any error correction.

I know the playback software used probably has an impact on the quality for pc streaming, along with output type, but what I'm mainly asking is would the data being sent to the DAC be more accurate?

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #3,563 of 14,566
Thanks Mike for the update on MP.
One simple question.
Will it be suitable for headphone gear only or work for two-way systems as well?

Once the MP can phase-correct for the position of a queenly cat in the listening room, it will be available for 2 channel use.

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #3,565 of 14,566
it makes sense to physically segregate it from the rest of the reproduction chain if for no other reason than UI.

It makes sense to do this in any case, I suggest. And thank you.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #3,569 of 14,566

RE the MP, yes it can fit power wise and size into an Yggy. It will NOT fit into a Gumby or Bimby. That said, it requires a UI. This UI does not exist on the Yggy as they are completely different processors. Therefore, an Yggy MP add-on is not suitable until totally automatic operation has been finished. We are not likely to be there for a while. We have the automatic, but it takes too long to get there.
This means that MPs will definitely be standalone for quite a while.

Sounds like it would fit into a Jot sized case. I'm hoping it will have an AES/EBU in and out in addition to the usuals.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,570 of 14,566
User interface?
A knob to turn or a button to push is also UI. Any interaction between user and machine is a UI
Don't confuse with GUI Graphical User interface like on a PC screen, a tablet or a smartphone.
So I think it's just the way you set the parameters on the MP. Not likely to be a GUI in the design history of Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back