Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #3,226 of 3,631
I caught on the Walnut V2 hype train, but never liked its sound... tho opamp and caps rolling was definitely new and exciting to me.
then I broke my original V2 due to my uber leet soldering skillz, so I ordered another Walnut V2 without knowing they switched to a soldered on opamp, and that rubbed me the wrong way. what's worse, soon after I ordered my V2.2 while it is still in transit, the news of Z1 broke out. G to the f'n G, #feelsbadman.
reading all of the V2s issues makes me glad I didn't order one, and I have similar feeling as @noknok23 in regards to V3 and the Walnut balanced amp, more complexity? hmm... i donno!

to me, Z1 is better than V2.2 in every way simply because it has a dedicated DAC, Z2 has awesome spec for it's price point ($35 on Taobao without shipping).

thinking further, could the Walnut creator taking another direction because he can't compete in the simple screenless budget DAP market that he originally created?

Well, at least with the Walnut v2 that I've got, turning the Volume Control Clockwise = Volume Up, like all of my other audio equipment... :wink:

On the Zishan units, Clockwise = Volume Down, which I consider backwards.
To fix it, I'm going to have to remove the pot, cut and move some etches underneath it, and then reinstall the pot.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,227 of 3,631
I caught on the Walnut V2 hype train, but never liked its sound... tho opamp and caps rolling was definitely new and exciting to me.
then I broke my original V2 due to my uber leet soldering skillz, so I ordered another Walnut V2 without knowing they switched to a soldered on opamp, and that rubbed me the wrong way. what's worse, soon after I ordered my V2.2 while it is still in transit, the news of Z1 broke out. G to the f'n G, #feelsbadman.
reading all of the V2s issues makes me glad I didn't order one, and I have similar feeling as @noknok23 in regards to V3 and the Walnut balanced amp, more complexity? hmm... i donno!

to me, Z1 is better than V2.2 in every way simply because it has a dedicated DAC, Z2 has awesome spec for it's price point ($35 on Taobao without shipping).

thinking further, could the Walnut creator taking another direction because he can't compete in the simple screenless budget DAP market that he originally created?
The Z1 is significantly better than the the Walnut in every way. I have a Silmic modded Walnut and the Z1 un modded with the Muses opamp is significantly better. Again as stated earlier the V2s has had many problems, therefore it was never a consideration for me. Perhaps they figured it out, with all of the bugs everyone has found on their other units, and are going to make the V3 great. I wouldn't bank on it, but we'll have to wait and see.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,230 of 3,631
Well, at least with the Walnut v2 that I've got, turning the Volume Control Clockwise = Volume Up, like all of my other audio equipment... :wink:

On the Zishan units, Clockwise = Volume Down, which I consider backwards.
To fix it, I'm going to have to remove the pot, cut and move some etches underneath it, and then reinstall the pot.
my DAP before the 'Nut was my laptop and my iphones, so volume knobs are, as of now still, a novelty to me, and I learned very quickly that Walnut being such a loud DAP and its pot only need half a turn to reach 95% volume... I always check twice and turn the knob very slowly on everything with a volume knob (my Zishan DSD, Z1, A5, E11 etc) XD

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #3,231 of 3,631
I was very curious as they wouldn't tell me what DAC was in the unit or get me any specs. This is what they told me.

"DAC and DSP are integrated together"

This is CK Lewis by the way.

Well aren't they just the ultimate font of information?

I know.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,232 of 3,631
How can I engage the EQ in V2? Which buttons shall I press?
Is the EQ any good in V2?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #3,235 of 3,631
Deciding to follow the bit of off topic silliness recently on the deals thread, I ordered the Tate & Bauer HD 900R which uses what they refer to as an Electrostatz driver. After swapping out the somewhat thin pads with much cushier ones, I'm very pleased to hear it pairs quite wonderfully with the V2S unmodded. It's not a naturally bassy headphone, having a balancing that's in line with may earbuds I've heard, and has worked really well with every song I've tried on the Nut so far. For under 150 for the setup after pads, I'm really pleased with the outcome.

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,236 of 3,631
Deciding to follow the bit of off topic silliness recently on the deals thread, I ordered the Tate & Bauer HD 900R which uses what they refer to as an Electrostatz driver. After swapping out the somewhat thin pads with much cushier ones, I'm very pleased to hear it pairs quite wonderfully with the V2S unmodded. It's not a naturally bassy headphone, having a balancing that's in line with may earbuds I've heard, and has worked really well with every song I've tried on the Nut so far. For under 150 for the setup after pads, I'm really pleased with the outcome.

I fell for the same silliness and got the T&B HD 900R, listening to it now out of the Walnut V2, the "old" V2 without any cool features, sounds quite decent for the price. I did try to swap out the pads for some Shure SRH1540 pads I had, but I didn't like how it changed the sounds so I went back to the thin stock pads which are uncomfortable after some time but not terribly so to my ears for relatively short listening periods (30 mins or so).

Jul 20, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,237 of 3,631
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back