Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Jan 1, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #617 of 662
So it's like placebo - very subjective, always positive (excluding nocebo), and based purely on belief. Except placebo can actually be measured.

Nothing I said could possibly have to do with placebo haha. Letting gear run in before critical listening is a common practice. If you don't believe it in, by all means don't waste your time. By all means buy a revealing IEM like Duke and then act surprised, with a bad fit and without proper gear, it sounds bad....

Like others noted; try foam tips, spinfit tips, etc, to get a good fit, a common practice before critically listening. Then pair the Duke with the $98 VE runabout plus, and a source which it deserves, and prepare to have your mind blown. But don't waste my time when I'm giving you advice VE gave me.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #620 of 662
Manufacturers who claim it should be ashamed of themselves - or they should put up the measurements.

Funny enough, even among manufacturers who provide frequency response graphs of their phones, some recommend burn-in. Obviously, if they can provide one graph, it shouldn't be hard for them to provide two (pre and post burn-in), to support their recommendation.

However, I've never actually seen anyone doing it... which in itself is quite telling, imho.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #623 of 662
Ok so I got the Duke balanced with Aune m1s. It's very nice! Sound is relatively balanced with emphasis on the high. I bought the comfy tips for them. I don't feel like they are underdriven at all. I only have to get use to the deep insertion. Maybe Ill try the spinfits someday...

Actually for the first time in my life I hear the difference between flac and 320mp3. Audio Artefacts just "pop up" you don't have to focus like a mad man to guess the differences.
Just to give you an idea of how transparent and clear this combo is.

These are definitely not made for casual listening or noisy environment. More short focused listening session. And I really like that.
I had AE with it. Had some issues with them but Wild Lee is chill and trustworthy, willing to solve the problem very quickly.
Actually after some time I wonder if I would not like the original better. I think the bass is weird on the AE. A bit off. What do you think?

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #624 of 662
I have a Duke that has a duo 3.5mm cable(s) and I broke my single ended adapter cable for it. Now I need a 2.5mm balanced and a single ended cable for it. I have tried a bunch of adapters and none of them work. I have also contacted Lee but since I bought the Duke second hand I don't have a VE order number so I just get the run around. Anyone have any ideas about adapter cables that will work for me?

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #625 of 662
Sounds very specific, luckily, this kind of things aren't too hard to craft by yourself. Or someone else.
I went to some tech shop in Taiwan, the guy would craft custom cables for you by demand.
Pono player thread might know more about this?

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #627 of 662
Can confirm the Duke benefit from extended burn in. At the very least 100hr. It gets more refined, smoother and sub bass is opening nicely. If there is no tools to measure burn in doesn't mean it doesn't exist. XIX century is dead guys. You got to believe.☯

Idk about the Duke but Lee recommend 50for monk and 300 or even 500(!) For asura 2.0.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #628 of 662
You'll have to buy a new Duke and test it against your burnt in Duke !
Btw I found a balanced duo 3.5mm adapter on fleabay by Dyson Audio. And Surf Cables have them as well.

Jul 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #630 of 662
Well actually I had my Duke broken for some reason and got a replacement. I had to burn in again which was quite annoying... I was actually quite sceptical and tried really hard to not believe in burn in...
To be honest burn in do minor differences in stuff most of the time. (Like the monk for example)
It should not be considered systematic.
I believe that big manufacturers products are designed to sound well out of the box.
On the other hand, I had cypherus earphones (diy craft) that sounded terrible out of the box, unbelievable bad and got so much better after some time. It's ridiculous. Almost like they have been designed to prove that burn in is a thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back