Unique Melody Mason- new 12 driver flagship
Feb 22, 2015 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

jelt2359

Headphoneus Supremus
Just saw this has been launched! Here's a shootout between the UM Mason and UM Mentor on erji.net:

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1777546

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 124
I have auditioned the Mason, Mentor, Merlin and JH Roxanne, all universal fit. The Mason has a different tuning than Mentor/Merlin, the highs energy is reduced. The Mentor/Merlin are much brighter. I see HD800 vs LCD3 analogy here. The Mentor is a fun sounding iem, great in technicalities too. The Mason is more geared towards live reproduction of acoustic. I think they are both of about the same SQ, but very different tuning. When I first heard the Roxanne together with the 846, I thought wow, the Roxanne was much better, I thought this was almost fullsize headphone-like. But next to Mason or mentor, the Roxanne sounded muffled, no kidding, Roxanne, muffled! The clarity and air in these UM cans are absolutely unbelievable.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 124
I have auditioned the Mason, Mentor, Merlin and JH Roxanne, all universal fit. The Mason has a different tuning than Mentor/Merlin, the highs energy is reduced. The Mentor/Merlin are much brighter. I see HD800 vs LCD3 analogy here. The Mentor is a fun sounding iem, great in technicalities too. The Mason is more geared towards live reproduction of acoustic. I think they are both of about the same SQ, but very different tuning. When I first heard the Roxanne together with the 846, I thought wow, the Roxanne was much better, I thought this was almost fullsize headphone-like. But next to Mason or mentor, the Roxanne sounded muffled, no kidding, Roxanne, muffled! The clarity and air in these UM cans are absolutely unbelievable.

I never was that impressed with Roxanne, in fact even their Layla only impressed me on their soundstage... but that's about it.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 124
I have a UM Mason for sale, if anyone is interested.  PM me.

d

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 124
Apr 16, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 124
thats what I thought to when i first use my uni roxx,comming from 1plus2/uber.i thought i made a mistake on buying it,but then as my ears adjusted i start to appreciate the roxanne even its dark it doesnt lack detail.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 124
  No more auditions and comparisons? 

I had the Mason briefly, and I`ve demo`d it several times, including yesterday, in an A-B session agianst the Maverick.  The UM Maverick is a dynamic+quadBA hybrid and I think it has now moved into my #1 all time favorite IEM position.  This position has seen a heavy rotation of IEMs recently as I fall in and out of love them, but the Maverick may finally be THE ONE.  The bass definitely has that physicality and deep reach that comes from a dynamic, and as it has a second BA woofer the bass detail, of which I am an unashamed junky, is there as well.  The mids and trebles are cohesive, detailed, imaging and yet smooth, unfatiguing, I feel, at least with the shop`s demo version (from AK120ii).  The Mason seems like it`s transfering slightly more information, but that could be a placebo impression because I know it has more drivers.  The Mason fits my ears effortlessly and the Maverick is slightly better; both worlds better thant the Angie/Layla or my old SE846. The seem to occupy most of my outer ear without actually contacting anything . . .   

Here`s the Mav website by the Japanese distributor Mixwave.

I cannont comment on the Mentor or Maestro because I`ve never seen them here in japan, like most of you have probably never seen the Mason or Maverick. . . I`d love to hear them - maybe i can hear Chodi`s Mentor when I`m back in Thai? 

If the Mason is a re-worked Mentor, does anyone know what the Maverick is?  I was told it was designed by an engineer here in Japan, and tuned specifically for Japanese anime music, which in my personal opinion is not music at all, so I am surprised I like the sound of it so much !

d

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 124

If the Mason is a re-worked Mentor, does anyone know what the Maverick is?  I was told it was designed by an engineer here in Japan, and tuned specifically for Japanese anime music, which in my personal opinion is not music at all, so I am surprised I like the sound of it so much !

d

The maverick is a re-tuned Merlin. Here is the page:http://uniquemelody.co/lineup/merlin/

There have been many positive comments about the Merlin on the forum. I do think it is supposed to be a bit bass heavy but I haven't heard it. I think both the Mason and the Maverick are just re-tuned models specific to Japanese taste and their music. That doesn't mean they would not be great for our music as well I haven't heard them. The price of the Merlin is very reasonable compared to some of the TOTL iem's around.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #14 of 124
  The maverick is a re-tuned Merlin. Here is the page:http://uniquemelody.co/lineup/merlin/

There have been many positive comments about the Merlin on the forum. I do think it is supposed to be a bit bass heavy but I haven't heard it. I think both the Mason and the Maverick are just re-tuned models specific to Japanese taste and their music. That doesn't mean they would not be great for our music as well I haven't heard them. The price of the Merlin is very reasonable compared to some of the TOTL iem's around.

But there`s a pretty significant difference between the Merlin and the Maverick.  They are both dynamic + quadBA, however . . . 

Merlin`s configuration is 2x high BA + 2x mid BA + 1x low dyanmic

Maverick`s configuration is 2x high BA + 1x mid BA + 2x low (1x BA + 1x Dynamic)

Balanced armature bass and dynamic bass.  Which, I guess, is why I hear such a pleasant amount of bass detail. . . .  

I`m struggling not to buy the Maverick tomorrow. . .   

Unfortunately, there is another difference between the Maverick and Merlin: the former is a lot more expensive !  

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #15 of 124

But there`s a pretty significant difference between the Merlin and the Maverick.  They are both dynamic + quadBA, however . . . 

Merlin`s configuration is 2x high BA + 2x mid BA + 1x low dyanmic

Maverick`s configuration is 2x high BA + 1x mid BA + 2x low (1x BA + 1x Dynamic)

Balanced armature bass and dynamic bass.  Which, I guess, is why I hear such a pleasant amount of bass detail. . . .  

I`m struggling not to buy the Maverick tomorrow. . .   

Unfortunately, there is another difference between the Maverick and Merlin: the former is a lot more expensive !  

Sounds from your description like the Maverick would be a bass monster. So what is the retail on the Maverick? I'm guessing it is a universal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back