The Stax Thread III
Jun 24, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #12,227 of 25,560
Haven't posted in a while, so I may as well share the T2. Should also be finishing up a Carbon build in the next few weeks.

wxKzIFT.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #12,230 of 25,560
How's the Yggy pairing with the 009? Do u find the sound to be forward?
Out of a BHSE, said to be a bit less refined / more forward than a T2, I don't find 009 that forward with the Yggy. Obviously more than 007, but way less than something like an Utopia.
Keep in mind I'm a "bright head", I do like something a bit energetic in beetween 1-2 khz (Stax !) and 5-6 khz (HD800 !), and I kinda dislike peaks above, especially in the 8-13 khz range (Beyer, lots of orthos, Fostex TH, etc...)

Ali

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #12,231 of 25,560
Oh exciting times ahead, Trilogy is bringing out an amp to drive the stax headphones, the launch is on July 8 th at hi-fi lounge,5 grand but I bet it will sound amazing, might go back to stax headphones again, can't wait!!!! Nic director of Trilogy and Nigel stax UK distributor will be there on the launch to discuss anything you need to know, oh happy bloody days!!

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #12,232 of 25,560
Oh exciting times ahead, Trilogy is bringing out an amp to drive the stax headphones, the launch is on July 8 th at hi-fi lounge,5 grand but I bet it will sound amazing, might go back to stax headphones again, can't wait!!!! Nic director of Trilogy and Nigel stax UK distributor will be there on the launch to discuss anything you need to know, oh happy bloody days!!

Can barely buy parts for T2 at that price :D

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #12,234 of 25,560
Just picked up a Mcintosh D150 for use as a DAC with a KGSSHV and Stax SR007. I had been using a Benchmark DAC2 as the DAC source for some time, and thought that it was about as good as could get. The issue I had was that I was using the Benchmark as a preamp, and it only has a varible out. The D150 has both fixed and varible out, which makes for better use as a preamp.

I was very plesantly surprised when I used the D150 fixed output to the KGSSHV. After listening to several of my favorite recordings and comparing the D150 to the DAC2, I found out that I actually preferred the D150 to the Benchmark. The sound from the D150 just sounded more natural overall, with a bit of warmth in the midrange, slightly more heft to the bass, and silky smooth treble.

The Mac D150 is a great match with the KGSSHV/SR007 combo. Very happy with the performance from this setup.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #12,235 of 25,560
Thanks Ali and loligagger on the replies with regards the yggy/009 pairing. I recently received my Carbon and was thinking of a suitable Dac upgrade to the chain. Not using 009s yet just the humble L300. Currently using a Parasound Zdac MK 1 and an Audio note kit 4.1 Dac.

Suggestions? Prefer a more natural sounding Dac.

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #12,237 of 25,560
I've got a pair of Stax sr404s that I would like to upgrade. Thinking about the L700 or SR007mk2. Both sound like great options.

My concern is how they'll do with my SRM-007t amp. Seems like it'll drive the L700s easily but what about the SR007s? The SR007s seen like the best headphones and the best long term decision (no audiophile remorse) but definitely don't want to change out the amp.

Thoughts?
I own srm-007II and both sr-007 mk2 and L700 and I love both setups. To my ears, both headphones are easily driven by the Stax amp. I have owned a lot of high-end amps and headphones and my present setup easily beats them all. But I have not heard these HPs with the top amps from Headamp and Mjolnir often mentioned here. There is always something "better" :)

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #12,238 of 25,560
The never ending 007 and 009 discussion
All been said before, old news etc etc. BUT this week I am in my 'other' home and using my other system:
Mac Mini with uptone audio mod inc LPS > ethernet > Rednet3 with LPS Ethernet > SPDIF > AMR DP-777 tubed NOS DAC > KGSShv Carbon > 007A's 2015.

This is a change for me, as I normally major on the 009s and my Audio Note DAC 5. Taking the DAC out of the equation (I have allowed for the change)

I am thinking about the 007. It is not as fast, clear, wide, or even go as deep as the 009. It is more back of the concert feel, laid back maybe. But having said all that, it does have a character, or dare I say it, it is 'coloured'. This is my view, and will wind up other 007 fans no doubt. But before we get all crazy. I am saying Stax has pulled off something quite special with this 007 version. The coloured sound, or it's character is very attractive to be honest. I know it is there, but I am enjoying it regardless. What speaker isn't coloured? The 007 has a kind of unique warm glow, a glue like flow to the notes and calming delivery. It is odd, and hard to get my finger on it. Everything is calm , nothing to be alarmed about., safe and secure.

A note on volumes, the 007 does need to be played on the side of loud to wake it up, the glue aspect I was referring to earlier. But once you get it going, it is really damb good. At lower levels the weaknesses v the 009 are more apparent. The speed and 3D aspect is obviously lower v the 009, as is the soundstage width and depth. But once my memory of the 009 fades a bit, it is entirely enjoyable in it's 'smaller head stage world'. Details are set back and have less edges, not digital edge, but the start and stopping of the notes type of edges, so clarity and decay are reduced. This is the price for the 007s forgiving nature and it's cosy leather chair character. It is acceptable in my system with a bit of EQuick EQ in A+ to compensate. With the EQ set to +3dB HF shelf from around 3K up to 20K it pretty much sorts out most the lazy treble aspect.

And here I am, enjoying the 007A immensely for 6 hours straight on lots of different music genders. Quite possibly one of the most easy to get on with Stax headphone ever made? I think it may be. It does need lots of juice and fails at lower listing levels somewhat, but as it gets a lot of things very right it is hard to not like it. I also like the look of it and the fit, even though it is an old design now.

If I had to choose I would still have my 009s as the go to HP. But the 007A has got enough of the best Stax has to offer to provide some serious listening pleasure. IMO the big fan base of the 007 could be driven by the above traits, but also it's forgiving nature especially on digital sources. Many DACs can sound dry and brittle, cold and sterile sounding, so the 007s slant to warming things up and it's recessed treble and smooth delivery will go part way to negating those 'problem' DACs brittle treble.

I had to spend some time finding a DAC to 'fix' my own 009s, to get everything to sound right for me, it can be a punishing HP with certain amps and DACs, and IMO has gained some blowback due to that against it's remarkable delivery. I believe it is not unlike when I heard some big Wilson speakers played loud with a poor front end, it sounded awful. But I heard the same speakers 2 years later with a great DAC and they sounded marvellous. Transparency comes at a price, and like too much sugar has negative effects. The rest of the chain need to improve with it IMO. I also believe both the 007 and 009 scale with better front ends and the amp used to drive them, but quite possibly the 009 is on a stepper curve, i.e. it really takes off somewhat once the rest of the chains gets up to scratch.

YMMV but hope this helps someone.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #12,239 of 25,560
I own srm-007II and both sr-007 mk2 and L700 and I love both setups. To my ears, both headphones are easily driven by the Stax amp. I have owned a lot of high-end amps and headphones and my present setup easily beats them all. But I have not heard these HPs with the top amps from Headamp and Mjolnir often mentioned here. There is always something "better" :)

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of both but am excited to choose between two clearly excellent headphones. Why do you have both and how/when do you use each of them?

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #12,240 of 25,560
Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of both but am excited to choose between two clearly excellent headphones. Why do you have both and how/when do you use each of them?
I started with Stax recently after a long road (and many years) of headphone discoveries. After a few minutes of listening to the L700 with srm-007II I shouted Eureka! This is it! After a few weeks I got curious of the 007 and could not resist getting a pair. At the same time I could not bare to let the L700 go so I decided to keep both. The 007 has a richer, bigger sound, but the L700 is so perfectly intimate. Listening to the L700 feels like hugging the music itself, completly immersive. Both are the most comfortable Headphones I owned. Both are even more comfortable than Sennheiser hd800/hd800s and Grado GS1000e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back