The Stax Thread III
Jun 27, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #12,257 of 25,560
Yes, and at some point diminishing returns get so small as to be practically inaudible, or at least insignificant.
Ofcourse, and then people with huge pocket would still aiming for the stars. There are people who pay the utility companies just to run a direct line from their main station to the house and pay for it separately. Their ideas is to get clean and pure power lines that are separated from the other neighbors utilities and all the stuff that can potentially "stains" the power itself. Could they hear it ? Who knows ? They claim that they do, and common folks like us would never had any chance to try it ^_^

However, that was the thing in the past, with the Tesla power wall, you can have your own pure power sources, if you can pay for it just to use with your system. Especially if you already are into Stax and KG amps, or He-1, Sangrila stuff ?

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

Only $6,200 and I do think it is a very reasonable item for your top tier gears

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #12,258 of 25,560
It's not going to sound as good as a T2.

Ha Ha, true, but what is? Seriously wonder of any amp will beat the T2. Am going to hear the HE-1 in 3 weeks. Different system but keen to hear how far stats can go, and compare to my 009 and Carbon fed by my Audio Note DAC 5. Interested to also hear the T8000.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #12,260 of 25,560
Ofcourse, and then people with huge pocket would still aiming for the stars. There are people who pay the utility companies just to run a direct line from their main station to the house and pay for it separately. Their ideas is to get clean and pure power lines that are separated from the other neighbors utilities and all the stuff that can potentially "stains" the power itself. Could they hear it ? Who knows ? They claim that they do, and common folks like us would never had any chance to try it ^_^

However, that was the thing in the past, with the Tesla power wall, you can have your own pure power sources, if you can pay for it just to use with your system. Especially if you already are into Stax and KG amps, or He-1, Sangrila stuff ?

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

For myself, I'm much more interested in figuring out how to get as close to the best as possible for a bunch less money. In other words, flattening the cost-quality curve at a much earlier point. Hence, the SRX-Plus, which cost me less than $600 in parts (including case), but is in the same sound quality category as the KGST and KGSSHV according to those who have built one, and the modifications for the T1 which cost less than $40 in parts, and gives that old amp a strong dose of steroids.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #12,261 of 25,560
So let me enlarge a bit on an opposing viewpoint. As I have said elsewhere, I have heard a fair amount of live unamplified music, not as much as some, more than others, and I have heard sometimes gross variations in tonal balance, etc., so I have some idea of how much live music varies. I also play the piano recreationally, and know how much individual pianos vary in sound. I am relatively tolerant of equipment flaws. My long time speakers have been original Quad electrostatics, which are widely regarded as relatively neutral, transparent, and "musical" reproducers. I would also add that I have a somewhat different philosophy vs. DACs, which is that the DAC should be as neutral and transparent as possible, as should all the previous links in the reproduction chain, because what you lose upstream you cannot recover downstream.

To me, the Stax SR007 Mk I was a bit too soft, the SR009 a bit bright and the SR007 Mk II with spritzer port mod just about right. I would also note that a brighter tonal balance tends to subjectively result in more transparency. I realize that others on this thread such as astrostar59, Ali-Pacha, arnaud, purk and mulveling all prefer the SR009l. That's fine. But I feel the opposite, as do spritzer, recording engineer Bob Katz and, based on his comments from Big Sound 2015, Tyll Hertsens. Now, this is not to say that we're right and those who disagree are wrong. But, simply to point out that the SR009, although nearly twice as expensive, is not THE TOTL Stax headphone. In my view, the SR009 did not displace the SR007 at the top of the Stax heap, they are equally valid as TOTL headphones and either can be considered an end-stage phone, depending on subjective preference.

Seems quite anecdotal. As in, there are outliers who feel the same with the HD600 and HD800.

Considering so much (all) of this is subjective experience, what "TOTL" replaced any flagship. LOL.

Obviously being cheeky, but when did the 007 mk 1TOTL dethrone the Omega?

I do agree any can be considered an end-stage phone, precisely dependent on subjective preference.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #12,262 of 25,560
I highly doubt the tesla would be a clean and pure power source. Its a very high efficiency switching supply that runs at high frequencies and does a PWM that looks roughly like a sine wave likely with a fair bit of high frequency hash on top.

regenerative supplies are the best, and at most 50% efficient. Lots of extra heat if you have large power amps.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #12,263 of 25,560
I highly doubt the tesla would be a clean and pure power source. Its a very high efficiency switching supply that runs at high frequencies and does a PWM that looks roughly like a sine wave likely with a fair bit of high frequency hash on top.

regenerative supplies are the best, and at most 50% efficient. Lots of extra heat if you have large power amps.
I see. What regenerative ones would you recommend ?

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #12,265 of 25,560
I know that the trilogy H1 is gonna destroy any electrostatic amp that's ever been made,probably not coming to America unless special order so I wouldn't get to bothered about it because America make the best hi-fi right? Lol

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #12,270 of 25,560
I work for Unilever in port sunlight in the UK, I'm a factory worker,trust me when I say I know f all about building or selling hi-fi, I'm an end user like yourselves,it's like I feel I've got to apologise for having such faith in a product which surely ain't right

Well, unlike you, Kevin Gilmore, who posts here from time to time, has designed some of the best electrostatic headphone amps in the world (KGSS Carbon, KGSS grounded grid, KGST, Blue Hawaii, etc.), and received permission from Stax to clone their SRM-T2 for DIYers. He does this for fun, and not for profit. He posted on another site that a no-feedback amp, which Trilogy says their's is, will have problems with stability due to tube warm-up, etc. I am inclined to believe him.

I have designed and built modifications for the SRM-T1, and designed and built the SRM Plus, which is based on an original Stax DIY schematic, and have posted on another web site in infinite gory detail why current source output loads are much better than resistor loads for electrostatic headphone amps in particular, so when I stated in post #12270 what the technical concerns were about the Trilogy design, I was not blowing smoke. You don't have to apologize for anything, I'm just trying to make you a better educated consumer. Unless you believe ignorance is better than knowledge... Electrostatic headphone amps are very high voltage devices, electrostatic headphones are very, very high impedance and highly reactive, and the rules for driving them are different than for dynamic headphones, low voltage preamps, and relatively low voltage, high current amps for loudspeakers, which is what Trilogy has built prior to now. Again, if you are able to attend the Trilogy presentation, I suggest you ask them the questions I listed in my previous post, and not rely on their previous reputation. Engineering amplifiers is both an art and a science, and if you know a bit about the science behind it you'll be better able to judge whether the Trilogy has a chance of being as good as they claim. If you choose to ignore the science part, well, you know the bit about a fool and his money...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back