The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #541 of 1,866
If you want to buy new & experience the ultimate top tier, Stax 009 headphones with KGSSHV or Carbon version, or BHSE amps.

Maybe Mr Speakers new Electrostatic headphones.

Maybe Sonoma Acoustics Model One new electrostatic headphones and amp.

Maybe new HiFiMan Shangri-La electrostatic headphones & amp.

Ultra expensive Sennheiser HE-1 (new Orpheus) headphones & amp.

Used or vintage, there are very many other options.

There are more new electrostatic amp choices also, it gets quite involved.

From entry stats to top tier models, much learning is involved, especially from the earliest stats, thru all models & brands manufactured to now; it took me 2 years to fully learn electrostatic intricacies, and yet there are light years more knowledge to learn from the gurus such as KG & BM, and many others, many of which are here on HF.

I have been involved in pro audio & pro music performance, live & studio, plus hifi for 45 years and bought my first Stax in the early 1980's, yet got really deep into headphones just in the the last 5 years and must say there is more to know with electrostatics than other headphones; it is quite an interesting journey and great enjoyment in the learning process.

Will pass now & allow others more knowledgeable in totl summit stats here on HF to take over from here & reply to you ; will others please post; there are even  more options & choices they can direct you to in the summit new electrostatic category. Hold on tightly to your wallet !

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #543 of 1,866
For the dollars / rubles involved, suggest maybe travelling to attend a meet or jam/fest if possible & listen to all these best choices, your fine ear will direct you rather quickly to the final 3 or 4 choices. The tuff part may or may not be which of those to pick - it may be obvious or subliminal to you in selecting what you feel is best to your ear.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #544 of 1,866
Only time will tell. Can jam socal. Ive sold off almost all my gear. Isine 20 replaced my planar headphones (Lcd4) waiting on i3 to launch. ie800 still holds its own against dynamic driver flagships, parted ways with utopia and kse 1500. Dac/amp got replaced by chord mojo. Portable players are Apple itouch and hifiman hm802 with musical amp.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #545 of 1,866
That's great you can attend SoCal. Please let us know what you decide on & why it spins your propeller ! Will read in earnest your impressions vs all the other hp's. If it's an estat runoff of models in your choice, many on this thread will be interested.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #546 of 1,866
I have reached the point in which i want to dive into the world of ear speakers. Ive never owned a tube amp. What model should i buy ?
I have demoed tons of gear.

Headphones: utopia, hek/v2, hd800/s, Sem1, Z1r, D-7200, Ether /flow/ c/ flow, k812, w-5000, 1000z/x, srh1540/1840, Sine, Pm-1.
Iems: se846, ie800, kse 1500, isine 20, k3003

Amp/dac: burson, chord, schiit, hifiman, sony, A&K, beyerdynamic, Oppo.

Should i just buy the top model LR-700 & 007 tIIor 727 II and forget it ?

There are really two decisions:  1) which headphone, and 2) which amplifier.  

Headphones:  The SR-007 Mk II vs L700 - you may prefer one or the other.  Keep in mind that the SR-007 MkII is a more demanding headphone in terms of amplification, and may not sound as good as the L700 with Stax amps - this is to some extent dependent on how loudly you listen.  Lots of people prefer the SR-007 with third party amps, notably Kevin Gilmore's designs, but those are more expensive than Stax amps, unless you are into DIY.  In that case the SRX Plus is another DIY design that has gotten good notices (I'm not going to be more specific because I'm biased in that I "designed" that amp).

Amps:  The Stax tube amps have technically inferior output stages to the Stax solid state amps, and also the Gilmore amps, which makes them less able to drive the SR-007.  Again the third party amps have better drive capability, but are more expensive unless you can build it yourself.  IMHO the lowly Stax SRM-T1, if DIY modified with constant current output loads, does a good job of driving even the SR-007, comparable to the Stax solid state amps, for less money, but again, DIY only.  You'll also have to replace all the electrolytic power supply caps as they are well beyond their expected life span.  

In terms of tube vs. solid state, the modern Stax amps only use tubes in the output stage, and they are pretty much maintenance free - I recently picked up a T1 (last made in 1993) and it still had its original GE tubes, which still tested good.  The Gilmore "tube" designs - KGST, BHSE - are also output tubes only and equally reliable as they don't drive the tubes hard.  The KGST is topologically similar to the Stax tube amps but with output current loads and regulated power supplies.  Sonically, the tube designs tend to be more "liquid."

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #548 of 1,866
I have beein following the Stax threats for a while now and find the world electrostatic headphones fascinating.

Does anyone have a HE-560 (mine is fully Jerg modded) and can compare it to the Stax SRS-3100 and/or SRS-5100?

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #549 of 1,866
I have beein following the Stax threats for a while now and find the world electrostatic headphones fascinating.

Does anyone have a HE-560 (mine is fully Jerg modded) and can compare it to the Stax SRS-3100 and/or SRS-5100?

I don't have a HE-560, but I have a HE-4 and SR-L500 and heard the HE-500, HE-560, and SR-L700.

I find the HE-560 and L700 to sound very similar to each other, although the HE-560 has slightly more bass impact and slightly brighter treble and the L700 has slightly better instrument separation and slightly dryer tonality. Note that this is a general sound signature comparison and how they are amped will bring even more contrasting sounds, due to the differences in driver types, as the HE-560 has planar-magnetic drivers in a circular housing that can be driven by any headphone amplifier and the L700 has electrostatic drivers in a rectangular housing that can only be driven by an electrostatic-specific amplifier (like Stax, Mojinir Audio, HeadAmp, etc.) .

So how you like your amps and what DACs (Digital-to-Analog Converter) you use also need consideration as well.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #552 of 1,866

There are really two decisions:  1) which headphone, and 2) which amplifier.  

Headphones:  The SR-007 Mk II vs L700 - you may prefer one or the other.  Keep in mind that the SR-007 MkII is a more demanding headphone in terms of amplification, and may not sound as good as the L700 with Stax amps - this is to some extent dependent on how loudly you listen.  Lots of people prefer the SR-007 with third party amps, notably Kevin Gilmore's designs, but those are more expensive than Stax amps, unless you are into DIY.  In that case the SRX Plus is another DIY design that has gotten good notices (I'm not going to be more specific because I'm biased in that I "designed" that amp).

Amps:  The Stax tube amps have technically inferior output stages to the Stax solid state amps, and also the Gilmore amps, which makes them less able to drive the SR-007.  Again the third party amps have better drive capability, but are more expensive unless you can build it yourself.  IMHO the lowly Stax SRM-T1, if DIY modified with constant current output loads, does a good job of driving even the SR-007, comparable to the Stax solid state amps, for less money, but again, DIY only.  You'll also have to replace all the electrolytic power supply caps as they are well beyond their expected life span.  

In terms of tube vs. solid state, the modern Stax amps only use tubes in the output stage, and they are pretty much maintenance free - I recently picked up a T1 (last made in 1993) and it still had its original GE tubes, which still tested good.  The Gilmore "tube" designs - KGST, BHSE - are also output tubes only and equally reliable as they don't drive the tubes hard.  The KGST is topologically similar to the Stax tube amps but with output current loads and regulated power supplies.  Sonically, the tube designs tend to be more "liquid."

Nice summary, I have the sr-007 driven with a carbon and it sounds amazing. There is no darkness at all, with very extended treble, well extended bass, and detailed as well as present mids.  Given that i like the sr-007 on this setup, you think it might be a bad idea to go with the sr-009 which many consider much brighter? Or will An sr-L700 be a better buy. I am currently thinking the L700.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #553 of 1,866
  Nice summary, I have the sr-007 driven with a carbon and it sounds amazing. There is no darkness at all, with very extended treble, well extended bass, and detailed as well as present mids.  Given that i like the sr-007 on this setup, you think it might be a bad idea to go with the sr-009 which many consider much brighter? Or will An sr-L700 be a better buy. I am currently thinking the L700.

Hard to say.  Quite a few people love the SR-009 driven with either the BHSE or Carbon, while others feel it's too bright, so it appears to be a matter of individual preference.  Only solution is try it for yourself and see what you prefer.  Obviously the L700 and SR009 are in different price categories, which may bias your decision.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #554 of 1,866
Hi, is there a place in San Francisco or the Bay area where I could audition the Stax system? I wrote to StaxUSA but didnt hear back yet. I wanted some friends to experience what I hear on my L700 here in Singapore :) I was going to swing by Audio High in SF on my next trip to see if they carry Stax. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back