The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Jul 26, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #781 of 1,037
Female protagonist are my fave. Connecting with the same cookie cutter male progagonist in nearly every RPG can't be any better. Velvet looks interesting to me. Mind you, I'm a sucker for long, black haired Kuuderes. Everyone knows Tales protags have never really been strong, but supporting cast always makes up for it. Yuri is an exception. I liked Stahn too.

As for Vesperia. Of course I knew about the PS3 version. I just meant that I wasn't aware that a full patch was finished.

Makes me wish I had a modded PS3. Ah well. Makes me wonder if Bamco would buy the fan translation the same way Xseed did for the recent Ys games, and then release the game on Steam. I would love to go back to Vesperia.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #782 of 1,037
There's a fan translation patch for Vesperia now? Well, guess that gives me reason to get a second PS3 and flash some CFW onto it, then! (Or, if I'm rich, buy a DECR-1000 devkit for about $1,000.) Not gonna risk it with my primary PS3, though.

In the meantime, I really need to get cracking on Resonance of Fate again. Picked it up for $5 during a prior flash sale, already watched a friend stream it way back, and I'll probably like it a lot now that I'm used to the unusual combat system.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #783 of 1,037
So I preordered Sword Art Online: Lost Song for PS4, and I got Hollow Fragment for free for preordering it.

I'm starting to think I made a mistake.

The game throws you right in, with very weird and convoluted game mechanics. I was instantly turned off by it. Starting to think it was $60 that I just basically threw away. Hopefully Lost Somg will make up for it when it releases in November.

May 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #785 of 1,037
Picked up Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana.  Not yet Finished with Ys II.  Done with Ys I.  Not yet started Ys VI.  These games rule.
LoH: Trails in the Sky rules as well, I need to remember to finish playing it, haha.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #786 of 1,037
For me, Chrono Trigger is the best of all time.

I also like:

Grandia 2
Legend of Legaia
Legend of Mana
Threads of Fate
Xenogears series
Tales of Legendia
Digital Devi Saga series
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy 8,9,10 and for sure 15 though it is not released yet. (Because it looks freakin' promising)
Kingdom Hearts series.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #787 of 1,037
I recently got an itch to play an underrated oldie but goodie: shadow Hearts on PS2. I had the entire series back in the day, and I dunno it's Halloween, and wanted to bring back memories of the one and only horror jrpg I can think of, lol.

It's actually really good, despite it's technical shortcomings. It plays more like a first gen PS1 game, not a PS2 one (static jpeg backgrounds, not 3d like FFX being one), but still very entertaining. The music is amazing. I remember the second game having some truly memorable battle songs.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuq_Z34lkw][/VIDEO]

I mean, that's the REGULAR batle music? It sounds like a boss track!

Had to emulate the PS2 on PC. Kinda of learning to understand what options work best, but I found something playable.

I started the game at the worst time, so I wanted to play until something good releases, or when I get my PS4 Pro on Nov 10. I didn't realize Owlboy releases TODAY on PC. Hnnng, I hate playing more than one game at a time.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #788 of 1,037
I remember when I was pretty young, before all the gamestops took over there was this place by my cousins house called Funcoland and I bought a used copy of Star Ocean: The Second Story and Wild Arms. Loved those games. My all time favorite is probably FFIX though. Pokemon Blue holds a special place in my heart as well.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #789 of 1,037
Just replayed Final Fantasy 12 International Zodiac to see the changes in the upcoming HD rerelease, and I'm glad that it's still my favorite Final Fantasy.  Everything about it, from the combat/gambit system to the story I absolutely love.  My PC handled upscaling the graphics well, (own two copies of FF 12 somehow and a ps2 in storage) with a few minor hiccups every once in awhile, and it looked quite nice.  For a 10 year old game, it's held up remarkably well, and didn't have any issues with feeling dated at all for me.

May 4, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #791 of 1,037
In order to keep this section from being spammed with a thread for every JRPG video game (yes, redundant) in existence, I'm attempting to make this thread for the purposes of speaking about them in general.

JRPG = Japanese Role Playing Game

For example: Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Advanced Wars, Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, etc.

From non-popular or niche titles that not many people would discuss, or just random games in general. For example, I'd like to discuss Breath of Fire, a series long dead, but still well known to JRPG fans in the time of its prime. There is no reason to make a thread about it, as its not exactly a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, etc. That, and its been long dead.

These are examples of games that are NOT JRPGs: Mass Effect, Skyrim, Oblivion, World of Warcraft, so no discussion on these here.

Let the discussion begin!

What are your fave JRPGS, guys?

My absolute faves that I can remember are:

Suikoden II (though Suikoden in general is my second fave series)
Final Fantasy VII (Final Fantasy in general needs its own thread later)
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars
Star Ocean
Tales Of (Namco JRPG series)
Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile series
Breath of Fire (I didn't get to play Dragon Quarter)
Front Mission
Fire Emblem

I forget some.
In order to keep this section from being spammed with a thread for every JRPG video game (yes, redundant) in existence, I'm attempting to make this thread for the purposes of speaking about them in general.

JRPG = Japanese Role Playing Game

For example: Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Advanced Wars, Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, etc.

From non-popular or niche titles that not many people would discuss, or just random games in general. For example, I'd like to discuss Breath of Fire, a series long dead, but still well known to JRPG fans in the time of its prime. There is no reason to make a thread about it, as its not exactly a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, etc. That, and its been long dead.

These are examples of games that are NOT JRPGs: Mass Effect, Skyrim, Oblivion, World of Warcraft, so no discussion on these here.

Let the discussion begin!

What are your fave JRPGS, guys?

My absolute faves that I can remember are:

Suikoden II (though Suikoden in general is my second fave series)
Final Fantasy VII (Final Fantasy in general needs its own thread later)
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars
Star Ocean
Tales Of (Namco JRPG series)
Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile series
Breath of Fire (I didn't get to play Dragon Quarter)
Front Mission
Fire Emblem

I forget some.

You have some good taste of RPGs !!

Best RPGs for me in this order:

1. Xenogears (hands down)
2. Valkyrie profile
3. Tales of Destiny
4. Xenosaga 3
5. Nier 1( Best soundtrack to date)
6. Nier 2
7. FF6
8. Suikoden 2
9. Star Ocean 2
10. Wild Arms / Grandia 1 - I think both were American but man great overall

May 5, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #792 of 1,037
Other oldies I liked:

Legend of Legaia
Vanguard Bandits
Albert Odyssey (Sega Saturn)
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (Ps1)
Mystaria (aka Blazing Heroes) (Sega Saturn)

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #793 of 1,037
I'm always a little sad when I realize Lufia never really caught on with most people. FF, DQ, Suikoden, Tales, Shin Megami Tensei, a bunch of series are always recommended, but I never really seem to hear talk of Lufia. Lufia 2 for me was on par with any SNES FF for example.

May 5, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #794 of 1,037
Other oldies I liked:

Legend of Legaia
Vanguard Bandits
Albert Odyssey (Sega Saturn)
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (Ps1)
Mystaria (aka Blazing Heroes) (Sega Saturn)

Sega CD Lunar was the best . Why CD quality soundtrack that sounded amazing. Compare ps1 vs Sega CD battle themes. A clear winner. Well it's an opinion and a good one lol.

Also Sega CD games were so on another level.

Popful mail - funniest rpg around
Snatcher - way ahead of its time
Shinning force CD- best force
And lunar

May 5, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #795 of 1,037
I'm always a little sad when I realize Lufia never really caught on with most people. FF, DQ, Suikoden, Tales, Shin Megami Tensei, a bunch of series are always recommended, but I never really seem to hear talk of Lufia. Lufia 2 for me was on par with any SNES FF for example.

Don't worry I recommend Lufia for you! But let's be honest others were better.

My first SNES game to recommend will be terranigma and then earthbound and then bahamut lagoon and then the sailor moon story and then tales of phanstias and finally LUFIA lol.....

Also Lufia 2 on the same level as an snes FF. That's pretty bold. I will say FF4 and 5 only. But come on FF6 is a beast of a game. Very over the top. Super quality game for an SNES game. Story to soundtrack to battle mechanics to character base. Sorry FF6 is pretty much a legendary status game and no snes game can pretty much compete. Not even chrono trigger in my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back