The Nickerfied Fostex T50RP...................... Impressions and Mod Thread.
Sep 17, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #31 of 49

^

The Sony headband set with the right cup/channel buzzy Zzzsssss sound is the "Bass Enhanced" version and the ugly pink foam headband set is the one with more treble emphasis/ brighter sounding. Both sound VERY similar yet slightly different as well. :  )

They are the Nickerfied Twinzies. : P

I come to conclusion that I like the Sony headband set best.
It has most balanced sound.

The ugly foam one does not sound brighter to me.
It sounds more wide U shaped and more distant mids.
Not as close as other two but more distant and less mids.
Also yes brighter and reminds me a bit of a Beyer T1 in the upper mids to trebles.
Yet the overall sound seems more laid back and sweet.
The bass is most noticable on this ugly band set. .

The nice Sony band set is most comfortable of the three (!)
And has better mids to me than the ugly foam band unit. .
I think this one has most balanced sound yet depth is not at level of the vibro which is a bit more midrange depth...
You can tell it has that nice wood influenced sound which gives liveliness..

The vibro strength is it is easy to drive but none other T50rp mods I have herd have the awesome satisfying bass that the Nickerfields have without being dark...
They still are not at LCD level in bass but still touch that satisfying nature which is not an easy thing to do without sounding dark..

agreed.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #32 of 49
^
Sweet looks like the impressions on these Nickerfies are FINALLY becoming mo' coherent, cohesive and consistent. My impressions are pretty similar to ya'lls. :  )

The hype on these Nickerfies are startin' to take off. hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

popcorn.gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #33 of 49
The Sony headband version is the most comfortable version I ever put on my head..
I whish they all could learn from this mod..

Also the Sony version has that juicy sweet signature that doesn't sound harsh or need damping discs or anything.
It may be bassy but is amazingly balanced because of not sounding dark like most other mods that try to make more bass..
I find this an exceptionally good signature for those that like a little boost and life to their music.
Details on the Sony headband version are on par with any other top modded fostex,
but the ugly foam covered headband version seems to sound more laid back and thus lessens the awarness of some detailing from the mids..
It does have a larger stage though.

I no longer have the vibro to compare and these will ship out hopefully Monday to next lucky member.

I may compare it to some others I have over the weekend.
All and all these are extremely impressive (!)

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #34 of 49
The Sony headband version is the most comfortable version I ever put on my head..
I whish they all could learn from this mod..

Also the Sony version has that juicy sweet signature that doesn't sound harsh or need damping discs or anything.
It may be bassy but is amazingly balanced because of not sounding dark like most other mods that try to make more bass..
I find this an exceptionally good signature for those that like a little boost and life to their music.
Details on the Sony headband version are on par with any other top modded fostex,
but the ugly foam covered headband version seems to sound more laid back and thus lessens the awarness of some detailing from the mids..
It does have a larger stage though.

I no longer have the vibro to compare and these will ship out hopefully Monday to next lucky member.

I may compare it to some others I have over the weekend.
All and all these are extremely impressive (!)

Great impressions again Maxxx134! Now I just have to figure out whether or not I have the sony headband version or the ugly foam headband version lol!

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #35 of 49

Putting the Nickerfields thru it's paces with the big boys...

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #36 of 49

Final thoughts as I packed them away(double boxed with my Mikros 90's thrown in)...
Extremely well done sound coming out of this version. .
I have herd th various mad/alpha dogs and owned a version made to sound like a Sen hd600 and a vibro and out of those I would have to say I prefer the Nickerfields for signature lively sound without loosing clarity and staying rather balanced and detailed even though is has more bass and bright trebles without sibilance all while not sounding dark or heavy.
I speak of the Sony headband model..

So unless you want to spend more like $600 on a th600 or $550 on a vibro,
I would go for a mod like the Nickerfields if I wanted a closed can that was lively or juicy without going overboard like the th600 ..

The th600 still has the superior sound but is not truly a closed can and may be a bit too much bass and is truly an end game for bass but for the Fostex T50rp mods this has to be regarded as one of the sweetest blends..

The he560(open grill mod) has deeper fatter bass than a Nickerfields but is open can with larger stage at $900..

The hd800(partial anax2.0 mod variation) is brighter & of course bigger soundstage but no where as satisfying in the bass as any of the others...
Still it does have nice deep clear bass..

IMO, I don't see any closed models I personally would prefer over the Nickerfields with exception of the enigmas which is much more money and from memory a bit darker.
Everyone has different tastes so take that as you will but I prefer a can with liveliness and nothing lacking or over done. .

So this Nickerfields (Sony headband version) is like a mix of being juicy and lively with Having accurate tonality in mids and sounding otherwise clear and reference for a closed can.

My fiance didn't like the bass on them and yet preferred the Fostex I don't know why..

My son said they are very good and a level below the th600 and liked them and the he560 over the hd800 & ed12. .
I too group the ed12 with the hd800 and the he560 a different type.

I don't prefer the U shaped sound of the th600 but admit it's superiority over any closed can.

But for true closed can I think hard if not impossible to beat any modded fostex T50rp. .
But they are not portable so if you don't need closed can at home then I would recommend the open can he560 or ed12 over the hd800 as they can be more easily matched to an amp.
The Nickerfields only need amp and doesnt matter which as their signature doesn't dissapoint. .

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 49

Final thoughts as I packed them away(double boxed with my Mikros 90's thrown in)...
I have herd th various mad/alpha dogs and owned a version made to sound like a Sen hd600 and a vibro and out of those I would have to say I prefer the Nickerfields for signature lively sound without loosing clarity and staying rather balanced and detailed even though is has more bass and bright trebles without sibilance all while not sounding dark or heavy.

I would go for a mod like the Nickerfields if I wanted a closed can that was lively or juicy without going overboard like the th600 ..

The th600 still has the superior sound but is not truly a closed can and may be a bit too much bass and is truly an end game for bass but for the Fostex T50rp mods this has to be regarded as one of the sweetest blends..

The he560(open grill mod) has deeper fatter bass but is open can with larger stage at $900..

The hd800(partial anax2.0 mod variation) is brighter of course bigger but no where as satisfying in the bass as any of the others...

IMO, I don't see any closed models I personally would prefer over the Nickerfields with exception of the enigmas which is much more money and from memory a bit darker.
Everyone has different tastes so take that as you will but I prefer a can with liveliness and nothing lacking or over done. .

So this Nickerfields (Sony headband version) is like a mix of being juicy and lively with Having accurate tonality in mids and sounding otherwise clear and reference for a closed can.

My fiance didn't like the bass on them and yet preferred the Fostex I don't know why..

My son said they are very good and a level below the th600 and liked them and the he560 over the hd800 & ed12. .

I don't prefer the U shaped sound of the th600 but admit it's superiority over any closed can.

But for true closed can I think hard if not impossible to beat any modded fostex T50rp. .
But they are not portable so if you don't need closed can at home then I would recommend the open can he560 or ed12 over the hd800 as they can be more easily matched to an amp.
The Nickerfields only need amp and doesnt matter which as their signature doesn't dissapoint. .

^
Can't wait to hear dem Maxxed Roided Out (M.R.O) Logan 90s.
beerchug.gif

Glad these can hang with the best out there. :  )

Thanks for the insightful final thoughts!!! :wink:

HYPED!!!
beyersmile.png

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #38 of 49
Ok they are now shipped priority mail insured to BMF...
:)

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #39 of 49

The he560(open grill mod) has deeper fatter bass than a Nickerfields but is open can with larger stage at $900..

The hd800(partial anax2.0 mod variation) is brighter & of course bigger soundstage but no where as satisfying in the bass as any of the others...

Yup, awesome insights. Love this:

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing those other headphone, but the Nickerfied's are on my head, and that's quite the pleasure!
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #40 of 49
Whats going on with you guys enjoying the latest mod without posting anything!?
:p

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #41 of 49
tongue.gif

^
There hasn't been any new Nickerfied mods of late as far as i know, but................................. you won the Logans 90s Mod-Off fo' sho. BRAVO!!!
happy_face1.gif

How is your own mods going for these Nickerfies??? Last tyme i checked nick sent you all the modding materials.

But that is until these came along.....
... a 1988 Classic that has yet to be beaten from all the portable sets i have listened to. Shows you how much Sony has regressed as a head-phone company. What a shame.......

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #42 of 49
tongue.gif

Maxx134 out of the woodwork!

I'm not sure if anyone other than myself is enjoying the "latest latest" nickerfied mods - I just got them back last week - and @nick n would have to chime in with exactly what vodoo magic he did to them. One thing he did was get the pads stuck on well, so that alone is pretty cool.

I actually loved the SQ out of my pair before sending them back to Nick, but he somehow managed to improve upon the SQ even more. A bit more bass than previously, but just as tight and fast as before and never boomy. The highs are slightly less bright now, which works better for me, yet the details are still there in spades, and may even sound airier now. 

Overall, they pretty much provide the perfect balance and sound signature for my ears!

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #43 of 49

But that is until these came along.....

... a 1988 Classic that has yet to be beaten from all the portable sets i have listened to. Shows you how much Sony has regressed as a head-phone company. What a shame.......

Yeah, those V7's are amazing and provide the other "perfect balance and sound signature for my ears" lol.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #44 of 49

Maxx134 out of the woodwork!

I'm not sure if anyone other than myself is enjoying the "latest latest" nickerfied mods - I just got them back last week - and @nick n would have to chime in with exactly what vodoo magic he did to them. One thing he did was get the pads stuck on well, so that alone is pretty cool.

I actually loved the SQ out of my pair before sending them back to Nick, but he somehow managed to improve upon the SQ even more. A bit more bass than previously, but just as tight and fast as before and never boomy. The highs are slightly less bright now, which works better for me, yet the details are still there in spades, and may even sound airier now. 

Overall, they pretty much provide the perfect balance and sound signature for my ears!

I was never going to post in here, but I will keep it simple and just let you comment on it.

New mod tweaks

1. solid paxmate square over middle driver grid earside ( old one was the Blue Monkey Dots sliced version ) In fact I don't think the tour even had those on, quite a difference with the solid ones, bass is up no seeming loss of details or staging.
  2. Tuning square thing was reduced on rearside to a single solid layer ( removed rear top and bottom ), on driver facing side was reduced also by either  the 2 side  7mm x 36mm strips OR the two top 12mm by 36 mm strips, depending on if you had the peaky driver variants or the opposite.
         Reduction on the Micropore layers listed above lessens the reflection of the trebles and still allows it to filter things a bit easier ( and nicer )
        Tiresome trebles reduced without ruining details but also not entering murky territory, and also seems to make things have much more air.
        There are also now small sections on the Tuning Squares that simply have Arctic Cotton there against the driver, no Micropore covering that area now. ( might also be contributing to more airy stuff ).

I sat on my old peaky driver set and when I pulled them out could not use them for more than 10 minutes, now I can use them for hours. I hate murky smooth, but also hate overly fatiguing highs here now, so these should be neither far as I can tell.

GREQ might check in he did his differently again also with this tweaked method.

"them's the facts" no embellishment. Peace out.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #45 of 49
Oi oi ...
I'll try to keep this brief.

◘ My version differs slightly: (other than the fact its a T20RPmkII)
• plasticine instead of plastidip (mostly due to availability)
◘ Tweaks: 
• solid square of paxmate (instead of modified bluemonkeydot)
• Tuning square with 12mm strips removed (I wanted more bass)

These are incremental mods after all so I can't hype it too much, but this is now my 2nd favourite headphone EVER behind the HE-500 (modified). 
ph34r.gif

If my HE-500 was stock, I would prefer my nickerfied T20 since it doesn't have slightly fatiguing mid treble. 
The low treble is a touch strident for my regular ear-fodder, but I think it gives an incredibly engaging colour to the sound which the more I listen to, the more I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back