The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Dec 4, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,468 of 3,535
  guys, i love the fx850. ive only had it for a few weeks but there is something very alluring about the sound, the texture is immersive and i usually dont want to take them off. im using them almost as much as my andromeda these days, they compliment each other quite well in terms of signature contrast. i want to try the higher model fx1100 soon, dumb question but is there a difference between the fx1200 vs fx1100? im having trouble finding the fx1200 for sale. 

EQ these beautiful IEMs and I bet ya you may find yourself using them more than the Andromedas. These have this natural timbre very few IEMs can pull of which makes them sound so natural/easy on the ears/transparent.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,470 of 3,535
Hi, I have also recently bought a JVC FX-850. I changed the included eartips (JVC spiral dot tips) with a standard white silicone eartips from a cheap Philips SE-3590 following recommendations elsewhere. The midbass reponse is less bloated (more defined) and highs are much better. However, I did find it difficult to fit the earphones to my ears to get a better seal. I did the recommended mod (by closing the rear vents using a piece of straw), but the bass reponse is too week for me (I have a "basshead" Sony XB90EX, with excellent subbass but weak highs).
Anyone uses different tips to improve the sound of the JVC FX-850 ?

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3,471 of 3,535
Hello, everyone.
I'm currently looking for an upgrade to my Vsonic's GR07 BE. I like their sound, but got disappointed with their build quality. I like their clearness and treble extension (although sometimes it tends to be kinda sibilant and thus could be less present). Big soundstage is very important to me too.
I listen to a wide range of music genres, but mostly rock, different vocal music, new age (Enya), and classical.
What would you suggest - fx850 or fx1100?

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #3,472 of 3,535
  Hi, I have also recently bought a JVC FX-850. I changed the included eartips (JVC spiral dot tips) with a standard white silicone eartips from a cheap Philips SE-3590 following recommendations elsewhere. The midbass reponse is less bloated (more defined) and highs are much better. However, I did find it difficult to fit the earphones to my ears to get a better seal. I did the recommended mod (by closing the rear vents using a piece of straw), but the bass reponse is too week for me (I have a "basshead" Sony XB90EX, with excellent subbass but weak highs).
Anyone uses different tips to improve the sound of the JVC FX-850 ?

Try your spiral dot tips together with the front vent mod (silicone stripes underneath the tips). The Philips tips lower bass precisely because of their imcomplete seal and partial leakage, but you can have the same effect and better fit just using stock tips and the front vent mod.

Hello, everyone.
I'm currently looking for an upgrade to my Vsonic's GR07 BE. I like their sound, but got disappointed with their build quality. I like their clearness and treble extension (although sometimes it tends to be kinda sibilant and thus could be less present). Big soundstage is very important to me too.
I listen to a wide range of music genres, but mostly rock, different vocal music, new age (Enya), and classical.
What would you suggest - fx850 or fx1100?

Fx850, if you want more treble than on your GR07. FX1100, if you want less.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #3,473 of 3,535
Thanks james444. I will try the front mod with spiral dot tips. Actually, I use the spinfit tips to have better high frequency response.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #3,475 of 3,535

Fx850, if you want more treble than on your GR07. FX1100, if you want less.

I personally thought FX850 has actually less treble than GR07. Isn't it so?
I find GR07 treble kinda exaggerated, sometimes even sibilant. I would like an earphone with less treble, or at least more pleasantly sounding treble. However, the clarity and details are important to me too.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #3,476 of 3,535
  I personally thought FX850 has actually less treble than GR07. Isn't it so?
I find GR07 treble kinda exaggerated, sometimes even sibilant. I would like an earphone with less treble, or at least more pleasantly sounding treble. However, the clarity and details are important to me too.

Depends on how you look at it. Both JVCs have more bass than the GR07, so treble will be less when compared to bass. But the FX850 is more v-shaped than the GR07, and compared to the midrange, it has more treble.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #3,479 of 3,535

The FX850 is brighter and therefore sounds clearer. However, if you think the GR07's treble is exaggerated, I have my doubts whether you'd like the FX850's.

Well, in most of the cases I actually like it. However, sometimes it tends to be a little sibilant to me.
Someone suggested me fx850 as an upgrade for GR07. He said the treble is actually less sibilant on fx850.
As I understand, fx850 is much closer to GR07 in terms of sound signature, so I'll probably like it. However, I don't have much experience with dark and mid-forward IEMs like fx1100 (except maybe se215?), so I don't really know if I'll like that sound signature more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back