The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Feb 8, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #1,427 of 1,624
Yesterday I found out that the gain switches affect the pre-out too. Got them hooked as a pre to my DIY power amp and speakers, and the volume changed significantly.
Another thing is the switches has some play and when changing the gain settings, there were some continuity problems. Its fine I guess, I'm not changing them more than once.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,428 of 1,624
Anyone have to reduce gain to get a burson opamp to work?  I have a lehmann variant and I swapped stock opa2134pa with burson v5i and I had to go down to 10db to make it work.. it's still loud enough and there's a nice improvement in sound.. just wondering about anyone elses experience

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,429 of 1,624
I have already tested:
LME 49720NA, OPA 2604 and two 604, OPA 2134, NE 5532P, OPA 2111AM...

Has someone already tested the MC 33078?
Got an old motorola and he runs absolutely great.
This is almost unbelievable what the performance comparable to an OPA2111. I paid $ 3 for the 33078 old stock
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #1,430 of 1,624
Yesterday I found out that the gain switches affect the pre-out too. Got them hooked as a pre to my DIY power amp and speakers, and the volume changed significantly.
Another thing is the switches has some play and when changing the gain settings, there were some continuity problems. Its fine I guess, I'm not changing them more than once.

Will the pre-out benefit with higher voltage and/or amperes/watts and will it get higher power to the speaker amp? (also with 0 db gain). And is it possible to get better sounds compared just connect the DAC directly to the speaker amp?

As I have a pair of Bower and Wilkins 683 S2 (200 Watt/each) paired with a Yamaha RX-V 771 AV receiver (rated 2 x 95 Watt), I will be happy if it´s possible to get more power from the receiver.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #1,431 of 1,624
Will the pre-out benefit with higher voltage and/or amperes/watts and will it get higher power to the speaker amp? (also with 0 db gain). And is it possible to get better sounds compared just connect the DAC directly to the speaker amp?

As I have a pair of Bower and Wilkins 683 S2 (200 Watt/each) paired with a Yamaha RX-V 771 AV receiver (rated 2 x 95 Watt), I will be happy if it´s possible to get more power from the receiver.
In my experience, the gain increase is only making it louder. There isn't any improvements in terms of sound quality. If your power amp doesn't have the power to drive a pair of low sensitivity speakers, it will remain that way.

And a friend of mine prefers an active pre compared to a passive pre between the DAC and power amp. Citing him, he describes the sound as dry and uninteresting compared to an active pre. I haven't tried bypassing the Lovely Cube as a pre yet so I can't comment much.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,432 of 1,624
Ok, thank´s for your clarifying!

And I assume the Lovely Cube are Active, am I right?

And do you think it´s possible for the output voltage from the pre-am to be too high for the power amp/receiver as the receiver have integrated kind of pre-amp?

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #1,433 of 1,624
Yes the Lovely Cube are active. Passive pres usually attenuate the volume using volume pots or stepped transformers. They don't require power and controls the sound by trimming down the level.

Preamplifiers are line stage equipments, that means their output is limited to line level. Line level is loosely standardized because the preamp output can be anywhere between 2Vrms and peaking at 10Vrms. Due to this, power amplifiers are also designed to receive a wide range of output levels. Basically the higher the pre-output level, the louder it is, and the more susceptible it is to noise.

Vintage pre-amplifiers are usually the ones with higher output levels, modern equipment should have no problem. However, the quality of the audio will be a result of overall quality of the preamp and NOT its Voltage output (as long as one avoids the too-little or too-much situations).

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,434 of 1,624
I have now purchased 4 pcs (2 pairs) of Bursons new OpAmp V6 Vivid dual, and waiting for them to arrive!

A big thumb´s up to the Bursonaudio´s costumer support, that are very handsome and easy to do with!!:point_up:

But I´m a Little bit confused, as this will operate at a minimum of +-3,5/7 VDC.

As the Lovely Cube only has 5 Volt to the OpAmp, will i be enough to operate the V5 and V6? Or is 7 VDC including +3,5 AND -3,5?

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,436 of 1,624
I have now purchased 4 pcs (2 pairs) of Bursons new OpAmp V6 Vivid dual, and waiting for them to arrive!

A big thumb´s up to the Bursonaudio´s costumer support, that are very handsome and easy to do with!!:point_up:

But I´m a Little bit confused, as this will operate at a minimum of +-3,5/7 VDC.

As the Lovely Cube only has 5 Volt to the OpAmp, will i be enough to operate the V5 and V6? Or is 7 VDC including +3,5 AND -3,5?
My fault; The OpAmp should receive +-15 Volt, so it should be fine!

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #1,437 of 1,624
About setting the Burson V5/V6 into Class A, the simple way we DIY:ers are use to, with two resistors to the output, Burson are not recommending to use BIAS Class A due to the risk of overheating and the fact the discrete OpAmp are FET.

But one question still remain: Are the V6 already Class A from the factory?

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #1,438 of 1,624
I have now received my four V6´s and they where shipped in a Jiffy bag (bubble wrapped envelope) from Hong Kong and directly into my letter box.

I have now installed the first V6 into my battery driven Lovely Cube and Everything seem´s to be fine. As I only listen for about one hour at low volume, I can´t comment closer for the sound, but will be back later.

As something has happened with my AKG K702 (they have absolutely no bass), I had to listen to my HD800 instead.

Raoultrifan gave me following explenation about V6 into Class A:

As V5 and V6 opamps are having a quiescent current of +/- 14mA this means these babies will work in pure class A until the output current gets to +/-14mA; after this value the Bursons V5/V6 will work in class AB, per their internal design. Sparko's opamps are working in class A until output current gets to +/15mA, so figures are quite alike and I'd say the +/-1mA difference should not matter in sound quality.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,439 of 1,624
Now I´m pretty sure what has happened; The ground Connection between the RCA in-connectors and the PCB was cutted when I putted in the V6 and lifted the board, so the headphones played at very high volume and it was not adjustable.

I turned off the amp after a few seconds, but the K702 seem´s to been damaged as the sound are as listen to only tweeters and distorted at the right ear.

Have mailed Harman/AKG for new drivers.:sob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back