The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #61 of 627
Re800 sounds bad now with the current competition. Midfi at best.

Woah - you listened to them recently?

I mean, if they have the clarity and resolution of TOTL models, then the signature will be a matter of taste and preference - I'm sure there are people who love a nice energetic signature out there!

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #62 of 627
I used to own them and re-listened to them at can jam socal. I'd take the Re-800 over them in a heart beat. The ie800 is pretty old at 5 years. The competition has surpassed it. Ie800v2 might be on the way.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #63 of 627
I used to own them and re-listened to them at can jam socal. I'd take the Re-800 over them in a heart beat. The ie800 is pretty old at 5 years. The competition has surpassed it. Ie800v2 might be on the way.

Woah. We are in the Re2000 thread and given your last message, you might have been talking about another IEM - can you kindly check both your last messages?

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #64 of 627
I've been running in the RE 2000 in for 250 hours now. For those who don't believe in it, ignore it, for those who do, it's got some time on it so this isn't a fresh out of box impression.

Time for some impression. I'm a huge fan of dynamic drivers. Anyone who saw my first post on this thread would realise that. The RE2000 is just another example of an amazing dynamic driver IEM I've heard. Dynamic drivers have long been considered as low end offerings until only recently. For the longest time, the top end marker focused on multi BA designs, leacing Dynamic drivers mostly for the lower end stuff. Yet, a dynamic driver well implemented and designed can give you so much that BAs cannot. The naturalness of the tone, the dynamics, the power behind the sound and the scale, Dynamics are just capable of offering something BAs cannot.

The RE2000 is a perfect example of it, and despite my many Dynamic Drivers, the RE2000 has a very special place in my arsenal. DD IEMs often have a slightly more sparkly signature, often with a midrange that's slightly less forward. The RE2000 is a well balanced, yet rich, and smooth earphone. It's very musical, yet despite its smooth, rich character, it maintains a clean, detailed, and even toned sound. Compared to my Ditas, they definitely have a smoother quality to them up top. Midrange is also thicker, and the bass presence, especially in the sub bass region, is astounding. It's got this really big, thundering, booming bass when called for, and the sub bass rumble isn't just heard, it's almost felt, something you don't quite find in IEMs.

The RE2000 has a really wide stage. It's a more forward sound though, so while layering and depth is really good it isn't the deepest sounding. It is however, good enough that it does not compromise on the spatial reproduction of the RE2000. The width is pretty awesome, one of the widest I've heard, and it has a well heighted stage too.

All in all, it creates a very big presence in the sound. A booming, thunderous, yet well controlled sub bass, with a wide, open soundstage and a slightly forward, rich midrange. It's managed to combine different aspects of sound that I never really thought possible, being open, yet intimate at the same time.

I'll continue to let the RE2000 run in, and continue to listen to it more. I need a little more time to really characterise its strength and its flaws, but all in all, it's a lovely sounding earphone, and I daresay, it's among the very best at what it does.

I haven't quite heard something like this. I think anyone in the market for a top of the line earphone should seriously give this earphone some consideration.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #65 of 627
This thread is lacking photos :wink: (Effect Ares II cable)

LRM_EXPORT_20170627_121143.jpg

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #66 of 627
As a fan of DD I look forward to testing the Re2000, issue is locally the dealers seem to no show solid interest in ordering the Re2000, they told me "they dont predict a large market for it locally", I however believe there is a market for a good DD IEM.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #67 of 627
You tell them fools!

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #68 of 627
As a fan of DD I look forward to testing the Re2000, issue is locally the dealers seem to no show solid interest in ordering the Re2000, they told me "they dont predict a large market for it locally", I however believe there is a market for a good DD IEM.
hey, cant promise anything but.... if you PM me which dealer it was you were asking, i assume one near you so you could go in and demo? I'll see if that could be something i could maybe make happen.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #69 of 627
hey, cant promise anything but.... if you PM me which dealer it was you were asking, i assume one near you so you could go in and demo? I'll see if that could be something i could maybe make happen.

Woohoo! Super support from @TeamHiFiMAN !!

I really hope more people get to hear RE-2000, it looks like a real killer DD IEM so far!

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #70 of 627
Maybe you can tell me why it is not available in China. You Facebook page told me it will not be for a while. Isn't it the home market?

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #71 of 627
Out of respect to them i can't mention name but I am always available on headfi via PM :D

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #72 of 627
I don't have much time to post right now, so my impressions of 1.5 weeks with the RE2000 will be kept rather brief (mainly using silicone tips with the same diameter and length as the grey double-flange ones that came installed - measurements indicate both to have the exactly same frequency response):

The bad: The shells are imho a bit too "standard" looking for a flagship and it would be nicer if the faceplate logos were engraved or CNC'd; the cable, while overall admittedly rather nice for a non-twisted/non-braided model, lacks some strain relief and is slightly sticky; the tip selection is rather poor, especially given the price; the upper treble (especially cymbals) doesn't sound 100% spot-on realistic to me - here I would have expected a bit more realism and smoothness (but I'm nitpicky at this price point); not something I personally really mind with my large ears and ear canals, but the nozzles are a bit short and the housings rather bulky (however the RE2000 is definitely not a large in-ear at all), which may cause some fit problems (-> angle) for people with really small ears.

The good: That bass... is just phenomenal! Tight, fast and well-controlled for a dynamic driver, however with that gorgeously detailed and liquid, excellent bass texture (probably the thing I love the most about the RE2000); (note) separation is very good and sharp as well as precise - the same goes for the soundstage that portrays a precise sense of imaging, too; the detail retrieval is on a really high level as it should also be expected; the housings, while gold-plated, aren't as blingy/obtrusive as I feared since they are more matte than shiny; the unboxing experience with that large chest/case with pleather-coating is really nice and somewhat reminds me of my HD 800's.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #73 of 627
I don't have much time to post right now, so my impressions of 1.5 weeks with the RE2000 will be kept rather brief (mainly using silicone tips with the same diameter and length as the grey double-flange ones that came installed - measurements indicate both to have the exactly same frequency response):

The bad: The shells are imho a bit too "standard" looking for a flagship and it would be nicer if the faceplate logos were engraved or CNC'd; the cable, while overall admittedly rather nice for a non-twisted/non-braided model, lacks some strain relief and is slightly sticky; the tip selection is rather poor, especially given the price; the upper treble (especially cymbals) doesn't sound 100% spot-on realistic to me - here I would have expected a bit more realism and smoothness (but I'm nitpicky at this price point); not something I personally really mind with my large ears and ear canals, but the nozzles are a bit short and the housings rather bulky (however the RE2000 is definitely not a large in-ear at all), which may cause some fit problems (-> angle) for people with really small ears.

The good: That bass... is just phenomenal! Tight, fast and well-controlled for a dynamic driver, however with that gorgeously detailed and liquid, excellent bass texture (probably the thing I love the most about the RE2000); (note) separation is very good and sharp as well as precise - the same goes for the soundstage that portrays a precise sense of imaging, too; the detail retrieval is on a really high level as it should also be expected; the housings, while gold-plated, aren't as blingy/obtrusive as I feared since they are more matte than shiny; the unboxing experience with that large chest/case with pleather-coating is really nice and somewhat reminds me of my HD 800's.

Super cool!

Sounds like it is a very awesome IEM! Let's keep the impressions coming! I am interested in the treble being energetic - please tell me that this is true.

I have to rely on other's impressions while my package is still locked by the awful people at DHL....

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #74 of 627

What about the mids, the best part about them? :D

I have mine with me at work again today, been using them a lot, I have small ears and finding the right tip has been a real pain... Should I get to keep these lovely things, I might invest in some Snugs tips

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #75 of 627
Super cool!

Sounds like it is a very awesome IEM! Let's keep the impressions coming! I am interested in the treble being energetic - please tell me that this is true.

I have to rely on other's impressions while my package is still locked by the awful people at DHL....

Not quite sure what do you mean by energetic treble, like being boosted or just not rolled off? Either way, with RE2k it's something you don't have to worry about.

Regarding accuracy of tonality, especially when you listen carefully to upper mids/treble, it's skewed more toward the brighter side with a rather linear lift going up to 5k, but Re2k is v-shaped with a dip around lower mids which takes away some body in sound. But that bass is something else, totally agree with Chris! I'm not talking about basshead level, but a pure audiophile quality bass. And it's complimented by a very resolving detailed upper frequencies, micro-detailed level of resolution. There is no sibilance or harshness (and I have very sensitive hearing when it comes to high frequencies), but if you like a smooth organic sound, these might not be for you. Soundstage is out of your head, it's wide but you have more depth in comparison to width.

I also agree, nozzle is short, so you have to play with eartips especially if you can't use double/triple flange tips. With a single flange silicone tips i need to tip roll, picking the one with a longer stem. Not the end of the world. For me personally, shells look quite unique, definitely different from all other IEMs I have tested, but my ears are on a smaller size and with a shallow insertion I definitely need tips with a longer stem (inner core part of the eartip) to keep the shell a bit away from outer ear (this is purely based on my ear anatomy, i will post pictures later).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back