The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 7, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #9,781 of 9,972
Hi! Can someone confirm if the X3II can work as a DAC for the Samsung Galaxy S7 via USB OTG? I would like to use it this way for streaming services.
It might, but you may have to use a usb otg hub instead of a regular otg cable due to the X3II drawing power from your phone. To be honest, I haven't read very many success stories using the X3II as a DAC with a mobile device. YMMV.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #9,782 of 9,972
I'm not sure it would work either, X5ii doesn't seem to work with the typical OTG cable, I don't think it was intended to be used this way.

X5-3 should work, or at least I didn't test but heard a few people using it this way, but X3ii and x5ii might not.

Let's hope X3-3 will work, same for X7ii!

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #9,784 of 9,972
I have a fiio x3 1st gen and i set it as a dac in settings-usb and use it on a samsung galaxy s6 with otg cable. on the x3 screen it says 192khz 24 bit. I play hi-res music with google play music because every app except this one i tested resamples to 44.1 16bit. Only google play music truly supports hi-res.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #9,785 of 9,972
I have a fiio x3 1st gen and i set it as a dac in settings-usb and use it on a samsung galaxy s6 with otg cable. on the x3 screen it says 192khz 24 bit. I play hi-res music with google play music because every app except this one i tested resamples to 44.1 16bit. Only google play music truly supports hi-res.
Did you upload the hi-res file into your Google play library? To my knowledge, Google is all 320 bit mp3s. I've never seen anything hi-res on Google and I use it regularly.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #9,786 of 9,972
Did you upload the hi-res file into your Google play library? To my knowledge, Google is all 320 bit mp3s. I've never seen anything hi-res on Google and I use it regularly.
i have a flac folder on the internal memory of the phone. google play music plays flac files from that location.

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #9,787 of 9,972
I have the X3ii linked to an A5, just a wonderful unit. I also have the X5iii and wondered what the next gen of the X3 will be like. I have seen small hints of it coming out soon. There has been nothing on its form or size. Has anyone seen anything on it yet? Will it continue with the scroll wheel or move to the touch screen form that the X5iii and X7 have? Really anticipating this as I love what the current X3 delivers...

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #9,788 of 9,972
I have the X3ii linked to an A5, just a wonderful unit. I also have the X5iii and wondered what the next gen of the X3 will be like. I have seen small hints of it coming out soon. There has been nothing on its form or size. Has anyone seen anything on it yet? Will it continue with the scroll wheel or move to the touch screen form that the X5iii and X7 have? Really anticipating this as I love what the current X3 delivers...

AFAIK, FiiO is yet to announce the new X3iii - but it seems like it will bring a ton of cool features to the table.

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #9,791 of 9,972
...and half of the features probably won't work out of the box and it will take 9 months of firmware updates to have it working close to the way it was initially advertised.

Wasn't my experience with the X3ii or X5ii. Both of them were pretty sound devices. Improved on the originals. If you don't like their products, there are a heap of others around. Good luck getting comparable features / sonics for similar price.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #9,793 of 9,972
Wasn't my experience with the X3ii or X5ii. Both of them were pretty sound devices. Improved on the originals. If you don't like their products, there are a heap of others around. Good luck getting comparable features / sonics for similar price.

There is no doubt that Fiio makes some amazing DAPs...when they work correctly. The sound quality on their devices is outstanding, and is enough to let me overlook the fact that the UI on their devices tends to be mediocre at best (the UI on the Creative Vision:M I got in 2006 was better than anything Fiio has ever produced).

My first experience with Fiio DAPs was a 1st gen X3 and I loved it. I ended up getting the second gen X3 right after it was released solely because my original X3 was damaged during a trip. The brand new X3ii had some issues when first purchased, but they were able to fix the most egregious problems through FW updates over the course of a few months. This was a bit frustrating, but it wasn't too bad. But it seems pretty obvious that the X7, M3 and latest X5 all had a lot of problems and bugs when first released - way more than should be expected with a commercial product - and some took quite a while to fix. If I buy any electronic device, I expect it to work as described right out of the box; I can understand a few bugs, but Fiio seems to be developing a track record lately of releasing DAPs for sale before they are fully tested and ready to go; the first round of buyers are essentially paying to be beta testers. And that is pretty much unacceptable to me. I may buy another Fiio DAP in the future, but it will not be until the model has been available for while and it is clear that any major bugs have gotten worked out. I'm not knocking Fiio's DAPs as finished products, I just see it as a problem that they seem to be more focused on rushing out new models to the market than they are on fully developing and perfecting these devices before offering them for sale.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #9,794 of 9,972
Found out something interesting today. I have had my X3 II for about 8 months, and for the most part, I just use it he line out to a headphone amp, or just used the headphpne jack to my iem's. Anyway, I really only tried the digital out once, and it worked fine. Today I tried the digital to my Krell Showcase. It would play 24/96, but not 24/192, no big deal considering how old it is. So next I am going to find a dac that can play dsd files and try it with the X3.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #9,795 of 9,972
Found out something interesting today. I have had my X3 II for about 8 months, and for the most part, I just use it he line out to a headphone amp, or just used the headphpne jack to my iem's. Anyway, I really only tried the digital out once, and it worked fine. Today I tried the digital to my Krell Showcase. It would play 24/96, but not 24/192, no big deal considering how old it is. So next I am going to find a dac that can play dsd files and try it with the X3.

You have a DAC that can play DSD. It's the X3II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back