The all new ALO Rx IEM amp! Now on sale.
Aug 27, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #136 of 187
Though I find it incredulous that I have to clean them compared to my other ALO amps.

That was actually a bit by design and is a natural state of using nickel. I personally like the look of the patina - it's unique versus the classical stainless. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #137 of 187
That was actually a bit by design and is a natural state of using nickel. I personally like the look of the patina - it's unique versus the classical stainless. 

I wouldn't mind a patina. Mine looks like someone with dirty or oily fingers fondled it ;-(

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #138 of 187
I wouldn't mind a patina. Mine looks like someone with dirty or oily fingers fondled it ;-(

So maybe don't use the Rx while you're doing automotive work? 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #140 of 187
Sep 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #141 of 187
KB, I have a quick question.

Can the Rx handle an input of 2.5V? I want to be sure it's ok before I test it.

Thank you Ken.

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #143 of 187
Hi Ken and the rest of the folk on board - I would simply like to echo the joy of hearing this little wonder! I'm so glad I got to take advantage of that special discount on your 10th yr anniversary!

This is a drummer's paradise amp! It takes some serious tweaking and tuning to get the dynamics and time decay (1 important dimension of music). Extensions on both end! (2nd)
Timbre perfect! Dude, you deserve every bit of success with this. This is the pretty musical, and is pretty much my first and very last amp! No wonder the guy at headphonebar told me to skip the rest. Congrats on the endgame. I just save up again so I can buy one of your mini 2 mini cables!

Before I forget, could I have you (Ken) increase the volume in mine? I find it underwhelming when I'm on the go :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #144 of 187
Hi Ken and the rest of the folk on board - I would simply like to echo the joy of hearing this little wonder! I'm so glad I got to take advantage of that special discount on your 10th yr anniversary!

This is a drummer's paradise amp! It takes some serious tweaking and tuning to get the dynamics and time decay (1 important dimension of music). Extensions on both end! (2nd)
Timbre perfect! Dude, you deserve every bit of success with this. This is the pretty musical, and is pretty much my first and very last amp! No wonder the guy at headphonebar told me to skip the rest. Congrats on the endgame. I just save up again so I can buy one of your mini 2 mini cables!

Before I forget, could I have you (Ken) increase the volume in mine? I find it underwhelming when I'm on the go
frown.gif

1trick,

Thanks for the nod on the Rx! Of course if you or anyone would like the gain raised just sent me a PM for instructions on shipping to me.

Cheers.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 25, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #146 of 187
I have got to admit: this has been one of the sweetest piece gear I've ever plugged in. I mean for a one knob thingymajig it makes MUSIC. this is pretty much one of the best purchases I've made this year by far. It just sings, sweats and oozes with music through anything you plug it with (ideally IEMS). I'd like to openly thank Mr. Ken for being helpful throughout the entire process, answering questions and adjusting my Rx to a suitable gain for my needs.

I've been wanting to write this post to share my experience so far, perhaps others might learn from and share their thoughts about this magical little unicorn called teh Rxxxxxxx...so here it goes.

Rx on default gain:
1)The PERFECT volume adjustment for home/quiet listening. I swear I put myself to sleep with this because the volume can really sound uber musical even at the lowest levels of your hearing. Easily tune-able.

2)My lasting impression when I had this at this gain set at default provided some of the most realistic drum (sonic) imaging I have ever heard. You just don't hear a drum kit being whacked: Snares snap hard and fast/ Skins being tightened/ Rims rattle and so does the spring under the snare! Bonkers.

3)Easily one of the most fun I've ever had playing my favorite rock tunes because guitars blasting through distorted amps just sound so damn real (exactly like the recorded gear!). HIGHLY MUSICAL TOO (+ perfectly accurate in timbre to boot)

4)This pretty much sets the standard when it comes to a true representation of musical dynamics (piano piano, mezzo forte, FORTE...and all the different shades in between.)

5)I only saw one flaw nitpicking issue: my portable gear was being drowned out when I travelled out. (I use a dunu dn2000  and a ihifi 770 dap, and it could just be my setup and even my eartips too.)

Rx on increased gain:
1)I have a different impression instead, everything sounds good but there was something missing*.

2)Got loud enough that I managed to dive into the music on the bus and even on the loud subway. Music got so involving that I somehow hear the music/each instrument being played in the same that I'm in! TALK ABOUT AIR AND AMBIENCE!  Pretty nuts if you asked me.

3)The volume pot, as soon as you activate it doesn't take much to reach a desired listening level. When my wife screams: I can't hear her. That does get you in trouble though.

4)There is a trade off in terms of experience and hearing impressions to a certain degree, much of which I highlighted above based on the default gain set.

So to anyone thinking of sending it back for a gain change, maybe it's worth considering what can happen to your overall impression. I'll post a proper review soon because I trying my best in figuring out as to why I have differing impressions in regardings to default gain vs. increased gain. With that said, I'm totally totally impressed with this magnificient piece of work, and salute Mr. KB for this outstanding support. :)

I'm hoping maybe to find a balance of both worlds because I'm really loving this thing but I'm torn apart because there's so many things I love about the default gain but I just need a slight push without losing the perfect amp experience.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #147 of 187

I know that this is very late, but here are RMAA measurements taken for the current Rx. As you already know, it is a superb performer, and in fact, the 2nd most stable amp I've ever measured. The first being the Cypher Labs Trio, but the Rx is in almost every metric, a better performer. If the gain were lower, it would receive full marks for IEMs. Still, I consider it the best value out there among high-performance IEM amps from boutique manufactures. Well done. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #148 of 187
  I have got to admit: this has been one of the sweetest piece gear I've ever plugged in. I mean for a one knob thingymajig it makes MUSIC. this is pretty much one of the best purchases I've made this year by far. It just sings, sweats and oozes with music through anything you plug it with (ideally IEMS). I'd like to openly thank Mr. Ken for being helpful throughout the entire process, answering questions and adjusting my Rx to a suitable gain for my needs.

I've been wanting to write this post to share my experience so far, perhaps others might learn from and share their thoughts about this magical little unicorn called teh Rxxxxxxx...so here it goes.

Rx on default gain:
1)The PERFECT volume adjustment for home/quiet listening. I swear I put myself to sleep with this because the volume can really sound uber musical even at the lowest levels of your hearing. Easily tune-able.

2)My lasting impression when I had this at this gain set at default provided some of the most realistic drum (sonic) imaging I have ever heard. You just don't hear a drum kit being whacked: Snares snap hard and fast/ Skins being tightened/ Rims rattle and so does the spring under the snare! Bonkers.

3)Easily one of the most fun I've ever had playing my favorite rock tunes because guitars blasting through distorted amps just sound so damn real (exactly like the recorded gear!). HIGHLY MUSICAL TOO (+ perfectly accurate in timbre to boot)

4)This pretty much sets the standard when it comes to a true representation of musical dynamics (piano piano, mezzo forte, FORTE...and all the different shades in between.)

5)I only saw one flaw nitpicking issue: my portable gear was being drowned out when I travelled out. (I use a dunu dn2000  and a ihifi 770 dap, and it could just be my setup and even my eartips too.)

Rx on increased gain:
1)I have a different impression instead, everything sounds good but there was something missing*.

2)Got loud enough that I managed to dive into the music on the bus and even on the loud subway. Music got so involving that I somehow hear the music/each instrument being played in the same that I'm in! TALK ABOUT AIR AND AMBIENCE!  Pretty nuts if you asked me.

3)The volume pot, as soon as you activate it doesn't take much to reach a desired listening level. When my wife screams: I can't hear her. That does get you in trouble though.

4)There is a trade off in terms of experience and hearing impressions to a certain degree, much of which I highlighted above based on the default gain set.

So to anyone thinking of sending it back for a gain change, maybe it's worth considering what can happen to your overall impression. I'll post a proper review soon because I trying my best in figuring out as to why I have differing impressions in regardings to default gain vs. increased gain. With that said, I'm totally totally impressed with this magnificient piece of work, and salute Mr. KB for this outstanding support. :)

I'm hoping maybe to find a balance of both worlds because I'm really loving this thing but I'm torn apart because there's so many things I love about the default gain but I just need a slight push without losing the perfect amp experience.

don't worry she will come back around, I was in the same boat, when after I got my Rx back from Ken after getting the gain increased? I was like WWHHHAAAA? lol, Ken said that it wouldn't effect the sonics of this, freakishly awesome sounding wonderamp!!!! that had breathed new life into my audio cocoon! but when I got her back she was different? something seemed to be missing???????????? NNNOOOOOOOOO! lol,

well I got out my Shelock Holmes hat and put it on and got to work, I first accused ken of taking back the pixie dust that he originally used to make this little wonderamp sing! when I had him increase the gain, give it back I said, no said Ken, he needed it to power his time machine or was it an interstellar traveler or some kind of thing like that? anyways he must have a limited supply of pixie dust I guess, LOL,

but don't worry, it seems as if the Rx needs some burn in time after getiing the gain increased? because after about 2 weeks I think, the old Rx with the original pixie dust showed back up and I was back into my heavenly bliss! hhmmmm aaahhhhhh, just let it burn in for a while, and you will be good to go, I suggest you set it up and let it play while not listening to it, for like 2 days worth, and when you put it back on you will be back to being WOWED! wowie wowie wow wow wowz!

I wass so heart sticken, ocded? lol, that I went to the extent of buying a second Rx from Ken, and he was going to let me return the one I liked the least, Great Guy Ken is! well by the time I got the second Rx, about 2 weeks later, I couldn't tell the difference between the 2 of them, other then my original one had more gain to it, and they both had the sparkly, iluminating, hair raising sound that brought my audio therapy to the next level, well you can guess which Rx I am listening to atm.

but I am now back to being sssoooo engaged with the music while jacked into my Rx, just like I was with my original RxMKII, when I used that back in the day,

so don't fret none 1TP, like I said, just let it burn in while not listening to it for a 20 to 30 hour stretch, and when you put it back on you will find that Ken's pixie dust has returned! 

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #149 of 187

I know that this is very late, but here are RMAA measurements taken for the current Rx. As you already know, it is a superb performer, and in fact, the 2nd most stable amp I've ever measured. The first being the Cypher Labs Trio, but the Rx is in almost every metric, a better performer. If the gain were lower, it would receive full marks for IEMs. Still, I consider it the best value out there among high-performance IEM amps from boutique manufactures. Well done. 

Nice shot Shigzeo... Hope to see you at the e-earphone show this December, we will have a booth.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 26, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #150 of 187

Nice shot Shigzeo... Hope to see you at the e-earphone show this December, we will have a booth.

Ken

That's shigzeo with a little 's', but thanks. You know, I don't follow events much in the news. I find out they begin tomorrow and I go. When/where is it? It will be great to see you guys back again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back