Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 17, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #31 of 4,538
Comparison of Pro 80 and Pro 82 frequency responses:

upload_2017-5-17_14-12-47.png

Pro 80 FR

upload_2017-5-17_14-13-17.png

Pro 82 FR

It is crucial to understand that the red and blue lines in the Pro 82's FR must be ignored - they represent the "bass boost" feature.
The green line is the only one we care about.

Pro 80 - The mids are about 7dB (from 300Hz to 3.5kHz) recessed compared to the bass
Pro 82 - The mids are about 3dB (at 1KHz) to 5dB (at 300Hz) recessed compared to the bass
Conclusion - Pro 82's mids are less recessed than Pro 80's

Pro 80 - The treble has a sharp dropoff of 8dB from 3.5kHz till 4kHz, followed by a sharp rise of 15dB till 5.5kHz
Pro 82 - The treble has a much slower decline of 10dB from 1.2kHz till 3.5kHz, followed by a slow rise of 15dB till 8kHz.
Conclusion - Much slower changes in frequency response are the reason why Pro 82's treble doesn't get as hot as Pro 80,
and clarity is improved. Moving the peak from 5.5kHz to 8kHz must have contributed to removing sibilance.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #36 of 4,538
they look like Sony MDR 1A

They definitely have similar design elements of some Sony cans. The headband reminds me of the Audio Technica ATH M series, and those bass sliders remind me of the Beyerdynamic Custom series.

I have the Custom Street, and really wonder how the effects of the bass sliders on the Pro 82 compare to it.

I also have an aging pair of M 50's that I still have yet to replace, I'm wondering if the Pro 82 would be a good enough replacement. I was thinking of getting a pair of DT 770s to replace them, but if I can find a much cheaper and suitable alternative for my full sized at home cans I might just go in that direction.

May 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #39 of 4,538
I have the Custom Street, and really wonder how the effects of the bass sliders on the Pro 82 compare to it.
On Pro 82 the bass slider has catastrophic effect on SQ - just pretend it doesn't exist.

May 17, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #41 of 4,538
On Pro 82 the bass slider has catastrophic effect on SQ - just pretend it doesn't exist.
I read the review and seen that part. On the Custom Streets, all the way closed is useless. No bass whatsoever. Opening the sliders once is the best and how the headphones should sound. A lot of bass, and good clarity in the rest of the spectrum. Fully open, flabby more powerful bass, and everything SQ wise suffers.

I really don't see too much usefulness in these sliders, except for sometimes it's just nice to get some pounding bass.

May 18, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #42 of 4,538
I read the review and seen that part. On the Custom Streets, all the way closed is useless. No bass whatsoever. Opening the sliders once is the best and how the headphones should sound. A lot of bass, and good clarity in the rest of the spectrum. Fully open, flabby more powerful bass, and everything SQ wise suffers.

I really don't see too much usefulness in these sliders, except for sometimes it's just nice to get some pounding bass.

On Pro 82, the closed position is the best. Bass is powerful (it's boosted in this position 3-5dB relative to midrange) and is of great quality.
It takes extra 6dBs from Oppo HA-2's bass boost without losing too much quality, that's the way to go for extreme bassheads.

May 18, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #43 of 4,538
they look like Sony MDR 1A
You are totally right, they look very similar - down to the L/R markings and the location of the model's name and the brand name.
If it wasn't for a different color of the earcup holders, they could be twins.

The similarities don't stop there:
Sony - aluminum-coated Liquid Crystal Polymer driver, 40mm
Takstar - high polymer coating diaphragm, 40mm

Pads are different though.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #44 of 4,538
Here are the two brothers:

upload_2017-5-18_21-40-59.png

upload_2017-5-18_21-41-11.png

The earcup holders in Pro 82 are not symmetrical like in Pro 80, so they look weird in the second picture.
I think this was made to create a slight angle for the pads to seal better.

The pads are SO MUCH BETTER in Pro 82, you can easily see the difference in materials.

May 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #45 of 4,538
Nice to see them side by side.

I have the Kingston HyperX Cloud II, and was actually never impressed with their sound. Hopefully the Pro 82 will be heads and shoulders better.

I much prefer those type of pads that are on the Pro 82. I call them "panel" pads, because they are sewn together from multiple panels of material. The design is more expensive to produce, but they are more comfortable & seal better. They can also be customized with different materials for the face, sides, or inside (perfect example is the hybrid pleather/velour Brainwavz HM5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back