Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 24, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #212 of 9,645
l am listening to the Afrodeezia album by Marcus Miller right now. Sony WM1A > balanced out to Sony Z1R. Using the stock cable and direct source. This is so well presented from the bass notes to the horn section and cymbals. Just awesome. And again those drums....perfect.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #213 of 9,645
Hello! Are any of you guys using the MDR Z1R with the Hugo 2? My mind's already made on getting this combo, but I'd still love to hear some impressions! :D

It's a brilliant combination to my ears! Very open and enjoyable presentation!

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #214 of 9,645
Well after trying to like the Aeons decided to come back to the Z1r - the main issue was the bass- i am at a stage where bass is important to me- and when I listen to a headphone that does not have oomph and punch that I like, then I don't enjoy them. I loved the addictive bass and the detailed but non fatiguing highs. I can take recessed treble but not recessed bass - the other headphone that I acquire recently that has good bass for my taste is the Hifiman Edition X V2. so now with the Z1r, and Hex v2 I am covered for closed and open headphones. Also I learned to trust my ears and enjoy what I like-

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #215 of 9,645
I agrr
Hello! Are any of you guys using the MDR Z1R with the Hugo 2? My mind's already made on getting this combo, but I'd still love to hear some impressions! :D

I agree with MacedonianHero, I'm sure you'll love the combo. It's basically the ultimate office setup at work for me. I'd suggest the Kimber cable as a good fit for the two, it gives it a slightly more relaxed presentation which works well with the transparency and extra detail you'll be hearing with the Hugo 2.

The downside is I don't like that it's heavier, more unruly, and more microphonic than the stock cable. The "bling" look doesn't really do it for me either. I thought about trying the Kimber Axios, but I found a good video by phototristan that persuaded me not to. More microphonics is exactly what I don't want.

To anyone that has the regular 1/4" Kimber cable, does the plastic piece at the Y split have the "made in China" text facing outwards while wearing it? Just curious if mine is on backwards or what.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #217 of 9,645
I agrr

I agree with MacedonianHero, I'm sure you'll love the combo. It's basically the ultimate office setup at work for me. I'd suggest the Kimber cable as a good fit for the two, it gives it a slightly more relaxed presentation which works well with the transparency and extra detail you'll be hearing with the Hugo 2.

The downside is I don't like that it's heavier, more unruly, and more microphonic than the stock cable. The "bling" look doesn't really do it for me either. I thought about trying the Kimber Axios, but I found a good video by phototristan that persuaded me not to. More microphonics is exactly what I don't want.

To anyone that has the regular 1/4" Kimber cable, does the plastic piece at the Y split have the "made in China" text facing outwards while wearing it? Just curious if mine is on backwards or what.

Thanks! ^__^ Btw, can you give me the amazon link to the sony kimber cable please? I remember pasting the link in my notes app, but can't find it now...

Edit:

Nvm, found it lol: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUCB30UM1-Performance-Audio-Cable/dp/B01092PA8K

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #219 of 9,645
Has anyone here tried the Z1R with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon Headphone Cable V3 via 4-pin XLR?

So, to get back to you, I have now been able to use the 4-pin XLR silver dragon cable with my Z1R... I ordered my silver dragon as an adapter system and purchased a 1/8" connector first.

I enjoyed it via the single-ended from my Fiio E12 portable amp, but very much prefer the sound from the 4-pin cable out of my new (and spectacular) iFi Pro iCAN. Now, I know the amp is most likely the reason for the sound preference I'm experiencing, but the balanced cable is part of the chain, so I figured I would comment regardless.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #221 of 9,645
Thanks for the feedback are the connectors to the Sony Headphones on the dragons push in only or are they screw in locking?

They have screw locks but you can use cables withou as well

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #222 of 9,645
Thanks for the feedback are the connectors to the Sony Headphones on the dragons push in only or are they screw in locking?

They are push-in only. I don't mind it so much as it means I won't damage the headphones or the cable if they cable is yanked.

nc8000 -- Lucky87 was asking about the silver dragon cable from Moon Audio, not the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #223 of 9,645
If only my pocket is deep enough......
Have some good time with SP1000 & Hugo2 last weekend. Both suit Z1R perfectly, so much better than i expected.

IMG_20170729_151234.jpg

IMG_20170729_161625.jpg \

Play around with LCD-4, Utopia, Ether C Flow, Aeon, Susvara, Sonoma, 009 along the way..to my surprise, Z1R tonal balance closely resembles LCD-4 (with hugo2 atleast).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back