SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #12,931 of 45,723
You know ? My weakness is the cables quality...and the plugs ....LoL.....no jokes. I can't deal with bad cables...so I just keep on moving and while I can make it myself, I spent a whole lot of money into experiencing them myself. It is very fruitful though

If I get a scratch on a DAP, I will sell it and get another. I suppose I have obsessive compulsive disorder, because I will obsess on a little scratch and try to repair it until it drives me absolutely crazy. That is why every single player I have and every earphone or headphone is in a Pelican case and safe. It's a curse.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #12,932 of 45,723
If I get a scratch on a DAP, I will sell it and get another. I suppose I have obsessive compulsive disorder, because I will obsess on a little scratch and try to repair it until it drives me absolutely crazy. That is why every single player I have and every earphone or headphone is in a Pelican case and safe. It's a curse.
I understand you very well, because instead of "cosmetic" I have the same things but "cables"...I keep on seeking for better materials, experiencing, working on them, until I am super satisfied :D....yes, it is a curse.

I have the same things for sound performances....every little things I could perceive better, then I would never fall back....it gets so freaking expensive that I am now only using Wm1z as digital transport. Don't ever dare asking me to use smartphones as a digital transport, because they are "ugly as sin.....in performances"...yes....digital transport matter

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #12,933 of 45,723
I understand you very well, because instead of "cosmetic" I have the same things but "cables"...I keep on seeking for better materials, experiencing, working on them, until I am super satisfied :D....yes, it is a curse.

I have the same things for sound performances....every little things I could perceive better, then I would never fall back....it gets so freaking expensive that I am now only using Wm1z as digital transport. Don't ever dare asking me to use smartphones as a digital transport, because they are "ugly as sin.....in performances"...yes....digital transport matter

It is a curse. Sometimes it is frustrating, because it seems like you're just never satisfied. I totally understand where you're coming from too.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #12,934 of 45,723

Have you heard both the Sony NW-WM1A and the Sony NW-WM1Z? If so, how drastic is the difference in sound?

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #12,936 of 45,723
Once again, I am in heavy metal mode! Sony, baby!
20170718_160608.jpg

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #12,937 of 45,723
Amazon warehouse deals are always open box/returns and are described as such stating the kinds of defects the items have, hence the reduced price. I have bought all my Signature series components as warehouse deals from Amazon UK. My 1Z has a number of minor scratches to the gold finish and the box for my amp was seriously mauled. On the other hand I've saved round a thousend pounds by going this way
They're not always open box/returns. Quite often the ones mark "Like new, may not be in original packaging" are brand new unopened ones where the packaging has been damaged in the warehouse or in transit.

I've bought a lot of photography studio gear like that which has been definitely new and unopened. Those are the sweetest deals, especially when they have the 20% off a few times a year. I also get the 20% tax off, so at times end up paying 50% of the new price for brand new gear. The only downside is only 1-months warranty, but I've never had an item fail if it's worked ok when I received it.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #12,938 of 45,723
I purchased a used WM1A from amazon warehouse deals. The item arrived with serious cosmetic damage to the lower right corner. The metal case has large dents in it. The item appears to work fine, but I'm concerned what happened to it to cause such damage. Amazon offered me a discount that would make my total cost $700. For this price I'm tempted to keep it. Resale value would be greatly affected. Any thoughts? Is it a good deal for $700?
I'd return it. It will probably always bother you, and second hand ones come up here from time to time. Alternatively you may be able to push them lower, they will sometimes go lower than their first offer if you push them.

Not a sales pitch as I haven't yet decided, but I'll probably be selling my WM1A soon as I've just got a WM1Z. I'm sure there will be a few for sale in the near future with new daps coming out.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #12,939 of 45,723
I'd return it. It will probably always bother you, and second hand ones come up here from time to time. Alternatively you may be able to push them lower, they will sometimes go lower than their first offer if you push them.

Not a sales pitch as I haven't yet decided, but I'll probably be selling my WM1A soon as I've just got a WM1Z. I'm sure there will be a few for sale in the near future with new daps coming out.

Please do an in-depth comparison between Sony NW-WM1A and Sony NW-WM1Z when you get it.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #12,940 of 45,723
Have you heard both the Sony NW-WM1A and the Sony NW-WM1Z? If so, how drastic is the difference in sound?
I've got both at the moment, but the WM1Z needs burning in.

My initial impression is that there's more body and warmth from the WM1Z, which suits my preferences. The WM1A is more neutral.

Both are fantastic, they just have slightly different flavours.

One thing that you can't appreciate until you have both in hand is the weight difference. Just looking at the numbers on screen doesn't cut it. The WM1Z feels like a solid ingot of metal. If you want to use it on the go then it may not be worth it over the WM1A.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #12,941 of 45,723
I've got both at the moment, but the WM1Z needs burning in.

My initial impression is that there's more body and warmth from the WM1Z, which suits my preferences. The WM1A is more neutral.

Both are fantastic, they just have slightly different flavours.

One thing that you can't appreciate until you have both in hand is the weight difference. Just looking at the numbers on screen doesn't cut it. The WM1Z feels like a solid ingot of metal. If you want to use it on the go then it may not be worth it over the WM1A.

Thanks for the response. I tend toward warm, although I am very happy with the NW-WM1A.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #12,942 of 45,723
Thanks for the response. I tend toward warm, although I am very happy with the NW-WM1A.
If you love warmth, you can't overlook Wm1z. It is not exactly warmth like you would mean it. It is rather a warmth "tonal body". But it sound signature is still leaning toward more neutrality, not like Zx2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back