1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862
864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873
Next

Last
  1. Quadfather
    If I get a scratch on a DAP, I will sell it and get another. I suppose I have obsessive compulsive disorder, because I will obsess on a little scratch and try to repair it until it drives me absolutely crazy. That is why every single player I have and every earphone or headphone is in a Pelican case and safe. It's a curse.

2. Whitigir
    I understand you very well, because instead of "cosmetic" I have the same things but "cables"...I keep on seeking for better materials, experiencing, working on them, until I am super satisfied :D....yes, it is a curse.

I have the same things for sound performances....every little things I could perceive better, then I would never fall back....it gets so freaking expensive that I am now only using Wm1z as digital transport. Don't ever dare asking me to use smartphones as a digital transport, because they are "ugly as sin.....in performances"...yes....digital transport matter

Quadfather likes this.
  3. Quadfather
    It is a curse. Sometimes it is frustrating, because it seems like you're just never satisfied. I totally understand where you're coming from too.

Whitigir likes this.
  4. Quadfather
    Have you heard both the Sony NW-WM1A and the Sony NW-WM1Z? If so, how drastic is the difference in sound?

5. Whitigir
    I actually never tried wm1A :), if I could, I would let you know

Quadfather likes this.
  6. Quadfather
    Once again, I am in heavy metal mode! Sony, baby! 20170718_160608.jpg

7. Sarnia
    They're not always open box/returns. Quite often the ones mark "Like new, may not be in original packaging" are brand new unopened ones where the packaging has been damaged in the warehouse or in transit.

I've bought a lot of photography studio gear like that which has been definitely new and unopened. Those are the sweetest deals, especially when they have the 20% off a few times a year. I also get the 20% tax off, so at times end up paying 50% of the new price for brand new gear. The only downside is only 1-months warranty, but I've never had an item fail if it's worked ok when I received it.

8. Sarnia
    I'd return it. It will probably always bother you, and second hand ones come up here from time to time. Alternatively you may be able to push them lower, they will sometimes go lower than their first offer if you push them.

Not a sales pitch as I haven't yet decided, but I'll probably be selling my WM1A soon as I've just got a WM1Z. I'm sure there will be a few for sale in the near future with new daps coming out.

9. Quadfather
    Please do an in-depth comparison between Sony NW-WM1A and Sony NW-WM1Z when you get it.

10. Sarnia
    I've got both at the moment, but the WM1Z needs burning in.

My initial impression is that there's more body and warmth from the WM1Z, which suits my preferences. The WM1A is more neutral.

Both are fantastic, they just have slightly different flavours.

One thing that you can't appreciate until you have both in hand is the weight difference. Just looking at the numbers on screen doesn't cut it. The WM1Z feels like a solid ingot of metal. If you want to use it on the go then it may not be worth it over the WM1A.

proedros and Quadfather like this.
  11. Quadfather
    Thanks for the response. I tend toward warm, although I am very happy with the NW-WM1A.

12. Whitigir
    If you love warmth, you can't overlook Wm1z. It is not exactly warmth like you would mean it. It is rather a warmth "tonal body". But it sound signature is still leaning toward more neutrality, not like Zx2

13. Tawek
    Wm1z after 500 hours in my opinion it does no play warm but ogranic ...

Whitigir likes this.
  14. Whitigir
    Yes, organic is a good word to use for it, it has "tube-like tonal body", but the signature overall is not warmth

15. Tawek
    Warmth i can call nwz x1061

First

Back
853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862
864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873
Next

Last