Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #17,836 of 22,945
  I can vouch for earphone solution, they gave me a crazy deal on my W80

What's up with this iem?Here on headfi there are overly positive reviews mentioning being a clearer more detailed w60 but on line overly negative.Unbalanced sound due to excess drivers and not being competitive at this price point with other flagships,drawbacks being lack of texture in the bass and tone and lacking separation,space and unnatural timbre.I wouldn't mention it but it's a first time i read really negative reviews of a $1500 iem more than one.

Opinions vary of course,and what matters most is your ears :)

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #17,838 of 22,945
  What's up with this iem?Here on headfi there are overly positive reviews mentioning being a clearer more detailed w60 but on line overly negative.Unbalanced sound due to excess drivers and not being competitive at this price point with other flagships,drawbacks being lack of texture in the bass and tone and lacking separation,space and unnatural timbre.I wouldn't mention it but it's a first time i read really negative reviews of a $1500 iem more than one.

Opinions vary of course,and what matters most is your ears :)

Westone have their signature sound of warmth and laid back, most user dont like that. I dont experience any unbalance :/ the bass is just right for me with the silver dragon cable, comfort is #1 in terms of UIEM, highs and mid are just sweet spot for me, although i suspect more people would like it with the Alo Reference 8 cable since the mid are more upfront. 

each person is different though, so you gotta try it. 

I am bass shy, so if you like bass this may not be the IEM for you, I preffer a flat bass.

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #17,841 of 22,945
Hi everyone, I'm a first-time poster after some advice and I was hoping your expert eyes may be able to help. I was finally able to buy a pair of SE846s when I won a good price on an auction site owing to the lack of box and filters. Great, I thought, I'll just buy a set of blue or black filters when they arrive...

I took delivery of the headphones and eagerly took the buds off only to find a different type of metal nozzle to what I was expecting. There are no grooves in the nozzle where the key should go. I managed to unscrew one of the nozzles and it doesn't look like there's anywhere for a filter to go. I don't *think* that's the black filter in there, or am I wrong?

Would you be able to ascertain from these pictures whether these are genuine SE846s, or perhaps if the metal nozzles are third party? If they are, do you think I should buy the metal nozzles and filters from a dealer - I expect this would cost me an additional £100 (£35 per nozzle and £30 for a set of blue or black filters).

I've included a link to some pictures here. If you're able to help me out I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #17,843 of 22,945
I've included a link to some pictures here. If you're able to help me out I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

I have the clear version so not able to compare directly with mine, but from what I see in the picture I suspect them to be fake. Fake se846 are usually colored. Here is a picture of the bronze version:

shure-se846-bnz.jpg

Comparing this to your pictures I see a different font on the SE846 text and also the supposedly bronze color seems more like gold in your pictures. You have picture of the right side but looking at the left circle and text in the picture above it seems it have thinner lines than the R in your picture.

Comparing to this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/counterfeit-shure-se846-dissected.823376/

I see the same lack of missing grooves on the nozzles, although the rest are looking quite different from yours.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #17,844 of 22,945
I just looked at my bronze 846 and there are clearly grooves in the nozzles for the filter key. If there are no grooves in yours, I would find that VERY suspect. With the number of fakes in the colored versions, I would be very hesitant to buy any sets that were less than complete, without extensive, detailed pictures.

Ryan

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #17,845 of 22,945
Is it possible to turn the se846 into customs? If its possible, which company is doing that?

Thanks
Somewhere in this endless thread you can find comments about Sensaphonics custom eartips. There is also a pretty good review here on head-fi which is very positive.
Knowing that I decided to look for a provider of CIEM here in Germany because I just can't find the right eartips (I am at verge of selling my se846 because I can't wear them comfortably AND have a great seal)
I found a place in Berlin that has many years of experience in producing custom ear pieces and inquired about the price. The answer I got was somewhat surprising: "we don't take se846 for customising anymore because we had too many cases where the sound changed in a bad way." Also, they claim, the se846 are difficult to work with because of size and shape.
The fact that they didn't take the job and pass on 200 Euros tells me there might be some truth to it - but I would like to find some more opinions. Except for the above mentioned comments I couldn't find anything about custom eartips for se846 and especially nothing controversial.

Can someone share firsthand knowledge?

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #17,846 of 22,945
I just looked at my bronze 846 and there are clearly grooves in the nozzles for the filter key. If there are no grooves in yours, I would find that VERY suspect. With the number of fakes in the colored versions, I would be very hesitant to buy any sets that were less than complete, without extensive, detailed pictures.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan - do your circles seem thick like mine, or thin like zappaphone has shown?

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #17,847 of 22,945
My rings are definitely thinner than yours. One big issue is that your nozzle appears to come off in one piece. If you do a search for "shure 846 filters" images, you will clearly see the nozzle is held in place by separate little piece that screws over its base. Below is a link to a pic that shows what I mean:

http://www.lyra-media.com/ufiles/shure1003_filter1.JPG

I strongly suspect your pair is fake. Sorry.

Ryan

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #17,848 of 22,945
Hi everyone, I'm a first-time poster after some advice and I was hoping your expert eyes may be able to help. I was finally able to buy a pair of SE846s when I won a good price on an auction site owing to the lack of box and filters. Great, I thought, I'll just buy a set of blue or black filters when they arrive...

I took delivery of the headphones and eagerly took the buds off only to find a different type of metal nozzle to what I was expecting. There are no grooves in the nozzle where the key should go. I managed to unscrew one of the nozzles and it doesn't look like there's anywhere for a filter to go. I don't *think* that's the black filter in there, or am I wrong?

Would you be able to ascertain from these pictures whether these are genuine SE846s, or perhaps if the metal nozzles are third party? If they are, do you think I should buy the metal nozzles and filters from a dealer - I expect this would cost me an additional £100 (£35 per nozzle and £30 for a set of blue or black filters).

they look suspicious and i don't want to tell you directly it's fake but i took pictures for my SE846 and i want you to compare the inside parts

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154358075@N07/with/33936825430/

I have the clear version so not able to compare directly with mine

they are exactly the same ( clear and colored )

my friend has the blue version and i have the clear

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #17,849 of 22,945
they look suspicious and i don't want to tell you directly it's fake but i took pictures for my SE846 and i want you to compare the inside parts

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154358075@N07/with/33936825430/

they are exactly the same ( clear and colored )

my friend has the blue version and i have the clear

Thank you for taking the photos. I can see on my earphones that the shell is hollow beyond the screw, so I suspect they are fake. I paid just over £400.
Now the question is, do I report the items as fake and go through eBay and PayPal to recover my money, or do I return them to the seller for a refund giving the benefit of the doubt?!

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #17,850 of 22,945
Thank you for taking the photos. I can see on my earphones that the shell is hollow beyond the screw, so I suspect they are fake. I paid just over £400.
Now the question is, do I report the items as fake and go through eBay and PayPal to recover my money, or do I return them to the seller for a refund giving the benefit of the doubt?!

Sorry to hear that my friend :frowning2:

I have never bought anything from eBay i hope other members will help you with your issue

I wish you will get your money back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back