Show us your vintage headphones!
Mar 29, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #1,906 of 3,129
  I'm not sure I agree with all that- "great" doesn't always mean flat response. I like some coloration if it adds to the character of a headphone. But yeah, vintage stuff is seriously overbuilt, and I love how solid some of that stuff is. I just purchased a pair of Beyer DT-48 S from years and years ago, and they really don't make em like that anymore. I haven't modified anything much further beyond pad swaps yet, so I'm only just getting into that aspect. Maybe it's unfair to say as a layman on modding, but it seems like some of the mods people perform are so superficial... I can't imagine it being worth the effort.

Takato isn't saying that a flat response = a great headphone.
Simply that you will find flaws in them, and one should be prepared to mod if one is to obtain the higher quality sound reproduction. But like vintage cars, some people just enjoy them how they are. There's no right or wrong.
Resonance peaks are very common, so it's a good 'textbook' example.

The mods some people perform are 100% superficial 
biggrin.gif

Take a look at the Grado modding thread. Over half the mods there are focused almost entirely on aesthetics.

But yes, it is very unfair to generalize. If you have a look through the Ortho-roundup thread, you'll see almost exclusively sound-oriented modifications, most of which are worth the effort.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #1,907 of 3,129
  Takato isn't saying that a flat response = a great headphone.
Simply that you will find flaws in them, and one should be prepared to mod if one is to obtain the higher quality sound reproduction. But like vintage cars, some people just enjoy them how they are. There's no right or wrong.
Resonance peaks are very common, so it's a good 'textbook' example.

The mods some people perform are 100% superficial 
biggrin.gif

Take a look at the Grado modding thread. Over half the mods there are focused almost entirely on aesthetics.

But yes, it is very unfair to generalize. If you have a look through the Ortho-roundup thread, you'll see almost exclusively sound-oriented modifications, most of which are worth the effort.

I assume his meaning because of some of the headphones that Takato has listed in his inventory. I guess by flat I meant stuff like removing resonance peaks. For example, most people say that you should cover up the venting on big ol Dynaphase 60s with blue tack or something of the like. But I think that there's certain musics that sound very nice with that "clamshell" echoing.
As to modifications being non-superficial, I'd say that planars are probably an outlier here- since I got into the whole thing because of the huge Fostex t50rp thread, back before the mark 3 was released.
Well, I guess if we discuss it further we'd end up in the sound science threads.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,908 of 3,129
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/wharfedale_2way_4speaker_system_professional_series.html

Some more info on the Lafayette F-500 I acquired....here is a link about the Wharfedale DD1 headphone, which is essentially the same as the F-500 I have.  It has a tweeter and woofer in each cup.   Not surprised then at how massive and powerful they sound - they are not even headphones but almost like full size speakers strapped to your head. Probably not high end even back in those days but a unique listen for sure.  Just need to improve comfort with some new padding so it doesn't feel too much like anvils against my ears. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,910 of 3,129
That's it...the same monster I have but branded Lafayette. The headphone equivalent of a big old Buick or Lincoln from the 70's. The thing just crushes so get out of its way lol.

One thing that is obvious is that these vintage headphones, even if they were low end back when they came out, are rarely cheaply built. Usually made of metal and indestructible plastic. Can't say the same now.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,911 of 3,129

Okay, last Lafayette find...I just couldn't resist getting them because they are one of the coolest designs I've seen.  It is really the Elega DR-232ch re-branded.  I think it came out in 1978.  They are supposed to lay flat against the ears but the foam padding basically disintegrated so I cleaned it up and replaced it with a thin layer of foam over the drivers.  I then placed Dekoni protein leather pads on them, which fit perfectly.  They are very light and comfortable.  I know it's hard to believe given the age but they sound pretty amazing.  Very clear and balanced.  I would put them up against many modern headphones I've heard. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #1,913 of 3,129
Maybe it's the pads I am using that upgrades it from the stock configuration but the sound is great. I am not saying it's a giant killer but not too far off either. I am surprised at how transparent it sounds.

I think I am done with Lafayette. I am curious about other Elega models though. They have a red and black version of the 232 that looks way cool.

Edit: it sounds the best from my iPhone and FiiO A5 amp.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,914 of 3,129
Little restoration job on a pair of vintage DT770's I picked up for £27. One of the drivers is the original old one, the other is the newer style unfortunately, so I am getting a friend to get me a broken new style driver (I used to work at Beyer's UK distributor so have friends there) and take just the inner driver out and place into the new style insert so both sides are even.

I do not know the impedance, but believe they are 600ohm due to the red on the back of the driver and they are really hard to drive. 
I have spent £30 so far, as I had some DT1770 earpads laying around, all the stuff to make a new cable and the new locking rings. All I had to pay for were the headphones and new headband pad.

Took about 20 minutes from this:

To this:

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,915 of 3,129
Love me some vintage beyers! Yeah those are most likely 600 ohm

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,918 of 3,129
Insignificant nitpick, but I always feel like everything from sony looks the same, past a certain point. There are outliers, but they all look so similar. I guess that's probably to their credit, since most modern designs are simple and no frills.... I just hate the chintzy plastic trash that we have nowadays. Love the look of things like the Sony dr-15.
Rant over - how's the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back