Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,776 of 3,480
Couple of questions.

• Is this still one of the best DAP's to connect to a Chord Mojo for stored music in a small footprint.
  • What is battery life like feeding a Mojo
  • Can I beam Spotify over AptX BT from my phone to M1/Chord

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2,777 of 3,480
Couple of questions.

• Is this still one of the best DAP's to connect to a Chord Mojo for stored music in a small footprint.
  • What is battery life like feeding a Mojo
  • Can I beam Spotify over AptX BT from my phone to M1/Chord

The M1 only supports aptX in Transmit mode, not in Receive mode. The same is true of the Shanling M2s and Cayin N3.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #2,778 of 3,480
Isn't the API for general media/music interface universal? I.e. Controls for play/pause, previous/next track and vol up/down (understandably playlist navigation etc might not be doable due to uniqueness but standard media controls should be able to be implemented).

The API may be in the Android OS (I'm not familiar with IOS), but does that mean the other apps can be controlled by the HiBy app?
If you have multiple apps, plus the normal phone notification / ringer volume to control, it seems like the DAP would have to know which one you're meaning to control.

With my Monk+ w/Android controls plugged-in to my Nexus 5, I ended up having to un-inistall the SoundCloud Music player, because it was intercepting Play/Pause/Fwd/Rew control inputs, even when it wasn't running.
Otherwise, I couldn't control the apps that I was trying to listen to.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2,779 of 3,480
Things I love about the M1:

1. Form factor/size.
2. Volume control/navigation wheel.
3. USB-C charging and digital out.
4. Great quality screen.
5. Tons of features, i.e., HiBy link, replay gain, perfect gapless playback, USB-DAC functionality, etc, etc. Good job Shanling! :)

Things I might improve/add in FW version 4.0 if I were really picky:

1. Despite my earlier optimism about my Samsung 256 Gb EVO cards, I still have the occasional boot-up glitch. With my SanDisk 200 Gb cards, my poor M1 would go into an endless boot-loop and would be stuck forever unless I removed the SDcard during boot-up. With my Samsung 256 Gb EVO cards, sometimes it boots up straight away, other times it seems to reboot once or twice, but it always eventually gets there. (But as a result, my M1 takes an unknown amount of time to boot up.) None of my other DAPs have a problem with any of these cards.

2. My FiiO X1ii can be controlled via an Android headset remote (play/pause/forward/backward wind, volume up/down, etc.). I thought that the M1, being Android based, might operate the same way, but it doesn't recognize any of my Android headset remotes. Shanling folks - this would be a nice feature to have...?! :wink:

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #2,780 of 3,480

1. Despite my earlier optimism about my Samsung 256 Gb EVO cards, I still have the occasional boot-up glitch. With my SanDisk 200 Gb cards, my poor M1 would go into an endless boot-loop and would be stuck forever unless I removed the SDcard during boot-up. With my Samsung 256 Gb EVO cards, sometimes it boots up straight away, other times it seems to reboot once or twice, but it always eventually gets there. (But as a result, my M1 takes an unknown amount of time to boot up.) None of my other DAPs have a problem with any of these cards.

I have both microSD cards but it works just fine on my M1s (I have 3)

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,782 of 3,480
I guess my M1 may be defective. However, since I got it from Massdrop (which I believe comes without a warranty?) I think I'm stuck having to make the best of things.
Actually if it doesn't have a manufacturer warranty Massdrop usually provides a 1 or 2 year warranty. I'd contact them for a replacement or repair.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,783 of 3,480
Actually if it doesn't have a manufacturer warranty Massdrop usually provides a 1 or 2 year warranty. I'd contact them for a replacement or repair.

Thanks for the info, @harpo1! The problem is, my M1 boots up perfectly every time without an SDcard inserted. I have a feeling they'd test it out, find nothing wrong and just ship it back to me :wink:

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #2,785 of 3,480
I am using M1 with 200 GB Sandisk without any problem. DAP starts in a few seconds with +/- 150 GB of music loaded on memory card.
I have a little suggestion for next FW upgrades:
  • diplay battery percentage instead of icon
  • some kind of sound notification when battery is running low, right now there is display notification, but still few times I was suprised by player turning off. When playback time is relatively short the optinal small short sound signal like in smartphones would be really useful for me
Except that and little short battery life comparing to loading time I am still amazed how well priced piece of electronics is this DAP. Good work Shanling!

P.S. 35 mW output power is per channel or for both channels?

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2,787 of 3,480
Can I ask how much the drop ended up going for? I just missed out on it

$128.69, including tax (with free shipping). In my experience, Massdrop savings tend to be fairly modest, so don't lose sleep over missing out on this drop. Besides, you know there will be others... :wink:

P.S. I re-installed the 3.0 FW and also did a factory rest. So far, so good :) I'm hoping the reset/re-install fixed things. I'm not feeling brave enough to go back to my old 200 Gb Sandisk card just yet, but I guess, in the name of science, at some point I need to try that.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,788 of 3,480

1. Form factor/size.
2. Volume control/navigation wheel.
3. USB-C charging and digital out.
4. Great quality screen.
5. Tons of features, i.e., HiBy link, replay gain, perfect gapless playback, USB-DAC functionality, etc, etc. Good job Shanling! :)

2. My FiiO X1ii can be controlled via an Android headset remote (play/pause/forward/backward wind, volume up/down, etc.). I thought that the M1, being Android based, might operate the same way, but it doesn't recognize any of my Android headset remotes. Shanling folks - this would be a nice feature to have...?! :wink:

For #2 - The Shanling M1, M2s, and Cayin N3 all run embedded Linux, with the HiBy Music firmware/software on top.

EDIT: In order to use a cable made for phones (Mic / Music controls), the device has to have a 4-pole Jack, and an extra ADC channel available for the Mic. The ADC also reads the DC voltage drop across the different resistances (which are connected to GND, depending on which button is pressed). A H/W change is required, rather than a Firmware change, to enable the Mic / Music controls.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,789 of 3,480
For #2 - The Shanling M1, M2s, and Cayin N3 all run embedded Linux, with the HiBy Music firmware/software on top.

EDIT: In order to use a cable made for phones (Mic / Music controls), the device has to have a 4-pole Jack, and an extra ADC channel available for the Mic. The ADC also reads the DC voltage drop across the different resistances (which are connected to GND, depending on which button is pressed). A H/W change is required, rather than a Firmware change, to enable the Mic / Music controls.

Thanks for the info. FiiO's X1ii is also Linux-based, but does have the necessary hardware/software to support Android remotes. I was quite surprised to discover that (almost by accident), because FiiO don't seem to widely advertise this feature - and it isn't supported in their current flagship (X7) DAP.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,790 of 3,480
I am trying to hear the difference between low-pass filter settings but I don't hear it, maybe I am deaf :) what differences should I notice?
I am using RHA MA750 (poerfect portable gear!) and ATH-M50x.

Hope that HiBy Music will spread on more devices and start to be Android competitor in DAP market. It is really nice looking (some UI elements look like A&K GUI), fast and full of features FW. Expensive top class devices can run smoothly Android but it is an enormous potential in budget DAPs field.
If there would be DAP on HiBy with streaming stuff in future it would be magnificent :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back