Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Mar 27, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #2,491 of 3,480
  Hey what cable you guys use to connect the M1 to the Mojo? The connection on the M1 is not the standard USB C connection right? I can only use the charging cable that came in the box to connect to the M1. All other standard USB C cannot connect to the M1

Here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Left-Angle-Micro-USB-to-Type-C-OTG-Cable-for-Portable-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-/301996162871?hash=item46505fbf37

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2,493 of 3,480
Sorry guys if this is a repeated question.
I am trying to connect my M1 to the Mojo using the micro usb to usb c cable provided in M1's package but the mojo cant detect the M1.
Is there anything wrong that I did? Any settings that I've missed? Perhaps I must use a specific cable?

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #2,494 of 3,480
Sorry guys if this is a repeated question.
I am trying to connect my M1 to the Mojo using the micro usb to usb c cable provided in M1's package but the mojo cant detect the M1.
Is there anything wrong that I did? Any settings that I've missed? Perhaps I must use a specific cable?

You need an OTG cable.

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,497 of 3,480
Has anyone used the M1 with an older style Type Mini (NOT MICRO) usb device.  Something like a Ray Samuels Audio Intruder or Predator, or with a HeadAmp Pico?

I just ordered a Right Angle Mini, Left Angle Mini, and a left angle micro from the "YourCharger" ebay link.  Now I just need to get the M1.  :)

If no one has tried the older style DAC interfaces, I'll let you know when/if I get an M1 and the above cables.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,498 of 3,480
Has anyone used the M1 with an older style Type Mini (NOT MICRO) usb device.  Something like a Ray Samuels Audio Intruder or Predator, or with a HeadAmp Pico?

I just ordered a Right Angle Mini, Left Angle Mini, and a left angle micro from the "YourCharger" ebay link.  Now I just need to get the M1.  :)

If no one has tried the older style DAC interfaces, I'll let you know when/if I get an M1 and the above cables.

I have tried to use the M1 with a headphone amp/amp that has USB1? (The big squarish one like on a home printer) PS AUDIO Sprout. It draws power from the M1 and is not usuable but for 30minutes before power drainage. If there is a solution to that, I would like to know. Would be good if there was a setting on the M1 to prevent power leaving the unit (not sure if that's possible).

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,499 of 3,480
I have tried to use the M1 with a headphone amp/amp that has USB1? (The big squarish one like on a home printer) PS AUDIO Sprout. It draws power from the M1 and is not usuable but for 30minutes before power drainage. If there is a solution to that, I would like to know. Would be good if there was a setting on the M1 to prevent power leaving the unit (not sure if that's possible).

Hmmm.  That puts a damper on things.
Question:  Is the reason that the M1 is so suitable for use with the Mojo is because the Mojo has circuitry that keeps it from drawing power from the OTG?

Here is my theory:  Seems like the OTG would act as designed and try to supply power to the device whether or not the device wants the power.  So if I'm using Type C OTG to USB Mini, it will drain the M1 even though my device doesn't need it.  Therefore, work arounds would be:
1.  Using the split cable that you can supply power and OTG at the same time.  (Not preferred.)
2.  Cut the power pin.  (Not sure which one.)

So maybe it isn't suitable for OTG to anything except Mojo?

Thoughts on my theory?  I'm not really up on the TypeC OTG standard.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,500 of 3,480
Question:  Is the reason that the M1 is so suitable for use with the Mojo is because the Mojo has circuitry that keeps it from drawing power from the OTG?

Here is my theory:  Seems like the OTG would act as designed and try to supply power to the device whether or not the device wants the power.  So if I'm using Type C OTG to USB Mini, it will drain the M1 even though my device doesn't need it.  Therefore, work arounds would be:
1.  Using the split cable that you can supply power and OTG at the same time.  (Not preferred.)

FWIW I've used it as a transport for both the Geek Out V2+ and the Opus #11 so it definitely works with other devices than the Mojo.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,501 of 3,480

I think this type of question has been asked before, and the answer was related to the user settings - perhaps a search of this thread would be useful.

Regarding the Mojo, it senses whether the 5V VBUS pin is active on the music input plug, and activates the USB input circuitry. Cutting the 5V to that plug will ensure that you hear nothing.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,502 of 3,480
I use my M1 via USB OTG output to my Shozy MagicDAC with no issues. The Shozy has a switch that either enables charging or disables charging so with the switch in the off position, my M1 supplies no power at all to the DAC. If you are shopping for a DAC, I would suggest considering one with an internal battery that has the on/off switch for charging.

Of course you also have to enable USB in the System Settings menu. The USB setting toggle is pretty far down in the System menu.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,503 of 3,480
I would suggest (if your setup doesn't work) to either go with a DAC that has been confirmed to work wit M1 as transport or physically try it out somewhere. I have a Pioneer XDP-700 with a charge off/on switch and some how it still drains the power (go figure). From reading Mojo and Opus works as well (now) the others mentioned above.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #2,504 of 3,480
FWIW I've used it as a transport for both the Geek Out V2+ and the Opus #11 so it definitely works with other devices than the Mojo.

I use my M1 via USB OTG output to my Shozy MagicDAC with no issues. The Shozy has a switch that either enables charging or disables charging so with the switch in the off position, my M1 supplies no power at all to the DAC. If you are shopping for a DAC, I would suggest considering one with an internal battery that has the on/off switch for charging.
Of course you also have to enable USB in the System Settings menu. The USB setting toggle is pretty far down in the System menu.

I would suggest (if your setup doesn't work) to either go with a DAC that has been confirmed to work wit M1 as transport or physically try it out somewhere. I have a Pioneer XDP-700 with a charge off/on switch and some how it still drains the power (go figure). From reading Mojo and Opus works as well (now) the others mentioned above.

Peter123, HiFlight, Silverfishla.  Thanks for the help.
The reason I'm asking is because I already have the RSA Intruder and the RSA Predator.  Both have DACs built in, but I've never really used them.  I'm not a computer audio person.  I'm more of a portable dap/amp person.  I have been feeding the amps from the line-out of DX50, or ipod touch, or ipod nano.  

I've been following this thread because I like the looks and function of the M1.  Right now it is on MassDrop for a pretty good price.  But the M1 doesn't have line out.  So I would have to be 100% certain that it will pass USB audio to the DACs I have.  But make sure that it doesn't drain the M1 battery because of "trying to charge" the amps.

Both of the RSA Amps have completely separate charging jacks, so they shouldn't "ASK" for power.  But I don't know enough about how the OTG USB standard works to ensure that the M1 won't try to "GIVE" them power.  And thus, deplete itself.

With the Cayin N3 being recently released, it does have line out.  So if the usb out doesn't work with my gear, I can still have a true line out.

I don't really have anywhere to audition one at this time.  So I guess I will let it go for now, and keep looking at the Cayan N3.
Thanks for trying to help.  If anyone has direct experience with RSA Intruder or Predator and the M1, please jump in.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,505 of 3,480
New Color, Frame Red for M1 is now available. 
biggrin.gif

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back