Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2,671 of 8,119
Larry, i do agree with u most of them.

The high do sometimes drill into eardrum and it's unpleasing. Luckily it seldom happens. The mid do feel recessed but that gave IE8 impression of deep soundstage. I remedy this by increasing the volume up a notch or two. This also improve transparency.

Do u find any anomaly with upper mid/ lower high?

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2,672 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about 245 hours on the IE8 now. They sound different that they did just 24 hours ago, after very loud electronic music blasting through them. The biggest changes have occurred in the first 24 hours and in the last 24 hours of a 10 day burn-in - very strange, but then so is the burn-in for an Ultrasone too!

In Summary - The mids are still a little recessed, but detailed. The highs are starting to sound more like what I have been expecting from them, and the bass is still powerful but not quite as overwhelming like it has been in the past. Although the sound is not completely fixed with burn-in, the IE8 are starting to sound a little more fun than the Phonak Audeo or Livewires with some music, but it's not as detailed or transparent as those two which are closer to a studio monitor in sound.

I still find the bass to be overboard at times, for instance with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss "Raising Sand" and Shelby Lynn "Just a little Lovin" or . But it is less intrusive into the lower mids of the vocals than it was before - it's like having a loudness control with some CDs and I have to listen at low volumes or the bass is just too much. Yet, the bass is just right with some other music like Diana Krall "Live in Paris" or BB King and Eric Clapton "Riding with the King". The bass is pretty delicious with music like Renaud Garcia-Fons and Gary Karr who play the bass fiddle, or even Yo-Yo Ma's Cello. And, of course it is nice to have the punch and power behind the bass line in electronic music as well.

The slightly recessed mids though do make it more difficult to appreciate the details imbedded in the music. In the song "Riding with the King" King and Clapton singing and the piano all sound like an afterthought hiding behind the sound of the drums and guitars. Boosting the 500-2K range by a couple of dB really brings out their voices. Most recordings get by with the stock IE8 mids and no EQ without as much problems, but I just wanted to bring this up.

The treble is still very picky about the recording, and listening to Jennifer Knapp "Live" really drills into my head and it isn't sounding pleasant at all. This is a new finding and if the treble increases any more it will be a bad thing. I do find I can tone down the treble some if I push the IEM deeper into my ears, at the expense of more bass. With Jennifer Knapp "Live", that happens to be a good solution in that case. Switching from the stock bi-flange to the eBay bi-flange help take some of that edge off the treble, and even "Live in Paris" is less sibilant with the eBay bi-flange tips.

On the other hand, listening to Nils Lofgren "Acoustic Live" or John H. Clarke "Acoustik Guitar" plus some other classical acoustic guitar recordings is sounding good enough to enjoy with either tips. Jazz at the Pawnshop, my old standard jazz nightclub music test for transparency is not bad sounding, but still not at the same level as the Westone 3. Then there are some CD that seem to be made just for the IE8, like Patricia Barber "Companion". They do also seem to excel with electronic music like Infected Mushroom, Kenji Williams, Karunesh or Aaron Spectre. But, going in the opposite direction I still put on some classical music, a Mozart 24/96 recording (4608 kbps) that I downloaded from High Resolution Music for free. I enjoyed the IE8 with this recording and the soundstage is much improved from the early days, being wider and more spacious than I recall. As I type this I had to go look at my EQ settings and twice, and also had to make sure that the SRS iWOW plug-in was not activated.

The isolation still sucks, but this could be the IEM that I use when I'm not in the mood for a full size can but I need to hear my wife or kids calling for me. As for sound quality, the Westone ES3X and Westone 3 still beat these for me. But like I said, these IE8 might have a roll in being the IEM I use when I don't want total isolation - that used to be the roll of my Denon C700 for so long (I've had those for almost 2 years now).

As I get through each phase of burn-in, the best tips and the best amps to use with them change, so I will be spending more time with my other amps (currently using iBasso D10 with LTC6241HV opamp) and the other tips again. It might be time to revisit the medium single flange and the Complys T400 again as well. I will probably give these up to 300 hours for burn-in as well. I'll try them with the headphone out of my 4G Nano and iPhone 3G too, and report back.

Glad they are sounding better for you. Weird burn in, maybe they are very volume dependent. Thanks for the details, and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the various amp combos. Do you have any interest in trying complys under silicon? Really helped the IE8s for me. Also, if the treble does become too much for you, you can always see how T-400s work for you.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #2,673 of 8,119
would fiio e5 bring out the mids more?

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #2,674 of 8,119
As always, nice writeup Larry
smily_headphones1.gif
I am about 36 hours in, and it sounds a bit better today. Out of the box they were a toss up between my NE-7M's and now the soundstage has opened up a bit and the details are starting to break through that veil.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #2,675 of 8,119
I'm thinking about searching for all my previous impressions of the IE8 and rolling them into my mini-review as an introduction. It makes it much clearer just how much these change with burn-in and different tips.

I haven't tried the foam under silicone yet, as I didn't want to tear up a foam tip yet to get the crunchy center out.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #2,676 of 8,119
double post - found an open window telling me I had to wait 16 more seconds to post my last thoughts, and the window was old - so I assumed it never posted the first time. Seem to happen a lot lately.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #2,677 of 8,119
erm.. would the fiio e5 bring out the mids more?

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #2,678 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm.. would the fiio e5 bring out the mids more?

I haven't gotten that far - wish I could help. I did say in my mini-review I would be trying more amps and tips over the next few days.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #2,679 of 8,119
it has for me, im using mine with the E5 and its a really good mix for me, its kind of all come together. I use treble boost on the ipod and the bass boost on the fiio e5 and to my ears it all comes out just right through the IE8's. still trying different tips, used the complys for awhile but after coming back to the standard senn foamies i am liking them more as they reveal more detail. wanna try the foam under silicon but cant figure out how to do it, nyone?

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #2,680 of 8,119
haha thx. if i manage to complete my econs essay i may go pick up an e5 today ^^ either that or i would wait for a comparison between ibasso t4 and fiio e5 with the ie8s! *hint hint* haha
k701smile.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #2,681 of 8,119
for the price you cant go wrong and it does a really good job of just amplifying the sound without muddying it up or changing it, i actually reckon i can hear details slightly MORE with the amp used. Worth a go dude, just let me know how it goes for you

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #2,682 of 8,119
Quote:

I have about 245 hours on the IE8 now. They sound different that they did just 24 hours ago, after very loud electronic music blasting through them. The biggest changes have occurred in the first 24 hours and in the last 24 hours of a 10 day burn-in - very strange, but then so is the burn-in for an Ultrasone too!

In Summary - The mids are still a little recessed, but detailed. The highs are starting to sound more like what I have been expecting from them, and the bass is still powerful but not quite as overwhelming like it has been in the past. Although the sound is not completely fixed with burn-in, the IE8 are starting to sound a little more fun than the Phonak Audeo or Livewires with some music, but it's not as detailed or transparent as those two which are closer to a studio monitor in sound.

I still find the bass to be overboard at times, for instance with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss "Raising Sand" and Shelby Lynn "Just a little Lovin" or . But it is less intrusive into the lower mids of the vocals than it was before - it's like having a loudness control with some CDs and I have to listen at low volumes or the bass is just too much. Yet, the bass is just right with some other music like Diana Krall "Live in Paris" or BB King and Eric Clapton "Riding with the King". The bass is pretty delicious with music like Renaud Garcia-Fons and Gary Karr who play the bass fiddle, or even Yo-Yo Ma's Cello. And, of course it is nice to have the punch and power behind the bass line in electronic music as well.

The slightly recessed mids though do make it more difficult to appreciate the details imbedded in the music. In the song "Riding with the King" King and Clapton singing and the piano all sound like an afterthought hiding behind the sound of the drums and guitars. Boosting the 500-2K range by a couple of dB really brings out their voices. Most recordings get by with the stock IE8 mids and no EQ without as much problems, but I just wanted to bring this up.

The treble is still very picky about the recording, and listening to Jennifer Knapp "Live" really drills into my head and it isn't sounding pleasant at all. This is a new finding and if the treble increases any more it will be a bad thing. I do find I can tone down the treble some if I push the IEM deeper into my ears, at the expense of more bass. With Jennifer Knapp "Live", that happens to be a good solution in that case. Switching from the stock bi-flange to the eBay bi-flange help take some of that edge off the treble, and even "Live in Paris" is less sibilant with the eBay bi-flange tips.

On the other hand, listening to Nils Lofgren "Acoustic Live" or John H. Clarke "Acoustik Guitar" plus some other classical acoustic guitar recordings is sounding good enough to enjoy with either tips. Jazz at the Pawnshop, my old standard jazz nightclub music test for transparency is not bad sounding, but still not at the same level as the Westone 3. Then there are some CD that seem to be made just for the IE8, like Patricia Barber "Companion". They do also seem to excel with electronic music like Infected Mushroom, Kenji Williams, Karunesh or Aaron Spectre. But, going in the opposite direction I still put on some classical music, a Mozart 24/96 recording (4608 kbps) that I downloaded from High Resolution Music for free. I enjoyed the IE8 with this recording and the soundstage is much improved from the early days, being wider and more spacious than I recall. As I type this I had to go look at my EQ settings and twice, and also had to make sure that the SRS iWOW plug-in was not activated.

The isolation still sucks, but this could be the IEM that I use when I'm not in the mood for a full size can but I need to hear my wife or kids calling for me. As for sound quality, the Westone ES3X and Westone 3 still beat these for me. But like I said, these IE8 might have a roll in being the IEM I use when I don't want total isolation - that used to be the roll of my Denon C700 for so long (I've had those for almost 2 years now).

As I get through each phase of burn-in, the best tips and the best amps to use with them change, so I will be spending more time with my other amps (currently using iBasso D10 with LTC6241HV opamp) and the other tips again. It might be time to revisit the medium single flange and the Complys T400 again as well. I will probably give these up to 300 hours for burn-in as well. I'll try them with the headphone out of my 4G Nano and iPhone 3G too, and report back.

Detailed review,Larry, really go through different genre of music,I appreciate it.

Remember in your Westone 3 thread, you rated bunch of high end IEM. As my memory is correct, you gave 9.5 for W3. Wonder what is IE 8 getting now?Does it at least trump stock 530 already?

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #2,683 of 8,119
Quote:

Thanks - yes, that's more like it. These are the reviews I find quite useful (like yours)

Quote:

Thanks again - very detailed, and, as usual, very well written!

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #2,684 of 8,119
Mar 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #2,685 of 8,119
sounds about right, i got mine in nz from a lil store for $500 NZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back