Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #39,497 of 46,499
Same here. Didn't feel the HD 650 was a big enough improvement over the HD 598, at least not with my current, cheap amps/dacs. .........

The HD598s are an ok sounding headphone, I say that in a good way.... easily powered off a laptop or even smart-phone but they’re not as robust and are easily overdriven to distortion in direct comparison to the HD650s and the HD700s. Their tonal character and performance remain more or less constant and not necessarily sounding better with improved equipment where as the HD600/650s and the 700s sound IMHO rather mediocre if not properly powered and accompanied with a quality source. In other words the much more efficient 598s would be a better choice for those “not intending” to invest in a higher end system, the 600 series would sound ok but nowhere reaching full potential and in many instances actually sounding poorer, flat…lacking dynamics and drive…. and possibly veiled but given proper upstream equipment they'll leave the 598s far behind.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #39,498 of 46,499
The HD598s are an ok sounding headphone, I say that in a good way.... easily powered off a laptop or even smart-phone but they’re not as robust and are easily overdriven to distortion in direct comparison to the HD650s and the HD700s. Their tonal character and performance remain more or less constant and not necessarily sounding better with improved equipment where as the HD600/650s and the 700s sound IMHO rather mediocre if not properly powered and accompanied with a quality source. In other words the much more efficient 598s would be a better choice for those “not intending” to invest in a higher end system, the 600 series would sound ok but nowhere reaching full potential and in many instances actually sounding poorer, flat…lacking dynamics and drive…. and possibly veiled but given proper upstream equipment they'll leave the 598s far behind.
I know. Which is why I said I may be going back to HD 650 if/when I'm willing to spend a few hundy on better amplification.

I disagree that that 598 sounds just ok. I think it sounds great, and I've never experienced any annoying, audible distortion at comfortable listening levels. Even into uncomfortable territory, I didn't hear distortion, but I wasn't trying to blow out my ear drums either.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #39,499 of 46,499
more efficient 598s would be a better choice for those “not intending” to invest in a higher end system, the 600 series would sound ok but nowhere reaching full potential and in many instances actually sounding poorer, flat…lacking dynamics and drive…. and possibly veiled but given proper upstream equipment they'll leave the 598s far behind.
The question is how many of those 21000 who preordered massdrop HD6xx are aware of that? People are buying them simply because they're discounted from 499$ (which isn't really regular price anymore). Someone on HD6xx thread stated that only a few will invest in a decent proper tech to show their full potential and I tend to agree. I myself do not intend to spent 300$+ on amp/dac. Reading some coments here about how HD650's are demanding I sometimes feel like a victim who preordered HD6xx just because 199$....

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #39,500 of 46,499
I disagree that that 598 sounds just ok. I think it sounds great, and I've never experienced any annoying, audible distortion at comfortable listening levels. .........

I didn't really say "just" ok...in many ways they're actually better sounding than the HD600 series on the majority of audio players and as you've mentioned "sounds great" and the reason I've purchased numerous pairs for friends and family.
The perceived distortion was a I mentioned is "in direct comparison to the HD650s and the HD700s." , I'm not talking "DISTORTION" but a slight unease to the the sound when reaching their limits, with the 650s and 700s ones ears will give out long before.... and these fall short in direct comparison to the 800 series in that regard....given the right equipment of course. :)

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #39,501 of 46,499
The HD 650 are very easy to sound descent, it is not very picky with gear. I don't think I have heard a system where the HD 650 sounded really terrible on.

But that is what makes the HD 650 so good, you really got to try very hard to make it sound bad.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #39,502 of 46,499
The question is how many of those 21000 who preordered massdrop HD6xx are aware of that? People are buying them simply because they're discounted from 499$ ..............

That is very true (and the reputation that precedes them ).....contrary to popular belief if one spends their life on sites like here.....the majority of headphone users...98%, probably more?????....are more concerned with just hearing their music and are really oblivious to the "sound" reproduction...as long is there is no obvious gross distortion, play loud enough and both the left and right drivers are functioning they're happy.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #39,503 of 46,499
I disagree that that 598 sounds just ok. I think it sounds great, and I've never experienced any annoying, audible distortion at comfortable listening levels. Even into uncomfortable territory, I didn't hear distortion, but I wasn't trying to blow out my ear drums either.
To me the HD598 was decent but since it was one of my first headphones over $150 when I first got them they were a disappointment at the time and were a bit thin sounding to me.

The question is how many of those 21000 who preordered massdrop HD6xx are aware of that? People are buying them simply because they're discounted from 499$ (which isn't really regular price anymore). Someone on HD6xx thread stated that only a few will invest in a decent proper tech to show their full potential and I tend to agree. I myself do not intend to spent 300$+ on amp/dac. Reading some coments here about how HD650's are demanding I sometimes feel like a victim who preordered HD6xx just because 199$....
I got a call from a friend who saw the HD6XX on Massdrop and asked me about them, told her that she might have to invest in a decent sound card or an amp if she really wanted to get the most out of them but she decided to get them anyway and live with the laptop headphone jack output for now thinking that the HD6XX is still a good deal and that in the future she could always invest in an amp if she wanted to get the most out of them.

The HD 650 are very easy to sound descent, it is not very picky with gear. I don't think I have heard a system where the HD 650 sounded really terrible on.

But that is what makes the HD 650 so good, you really got to try very hard to make it sound bad.
Agree that it doesn't take much to get the HD65 to sound decent and its really hard to make them sound bad

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #39,506 of 46,499
I love my HD650 so much I bought a HD6XX for a backup or spare parts if anything ever goes wrong with my beloved music makers...

Right now, HD650 could very well be my endgame. However I haven't heard HD700/800 or a planar magnetic besides mrspeakers alpha dog (very interested in audeze iSINE) so my mileage may vary...

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #39,507 of 46,499
I enjoy my hd650 but actually reach for my k7xx more than I do my hd650. Not sure why though.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #39,508 of 46,499
I love my HD650 so much I bought a HD6XX for a backup or spare parts if anything ever goes wrong with my beloved music makers...

Right now, HD650 could very well be my endgame. However I haven't heard HD700/800 or a planar magnetic besides mrspeakers alpha dog (very interested in audeze iSINE) so my mileage may vary...
I also got in on the HD6XX but its not as a backup, its to test out the mods that can't be reversed like the removal of the spider and foam, but also to test out the dynamat and coin mods.

I enjoy my hd650 but actually reach for my k7xx more than I do my hd650. Not sure why though.
I think it might be the lighter/airier presentation of the K7XX, I have a few friends that also like the K7XX better for that reason.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #39,509 of 46,499
I also got in on the HD6XX but its not as a backup, its to test out the mods that can't be reversed like the removal of the spider and foam, but also to test out the dynamat and coin mods.

I think it might be the lighter/airier presentation of the K7XX, I have a few friends that also like the K7XX better for that reason.
I think maybe that plus the extended sub bass the k7xx has over the hd6xx and better balanced sound. Dont get me wrong, I love them both. There are times when I prefer the more forward mids the hd650 have.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #39,510 of 46,499
I think maybe that plus the extended sub bass the k7xx has over the hd6xx and better balanced sound. Dont get me wrong, I love them both. There are times when I prefer the more forward mids the hd650 have.

Oddly I relinquished my previous HD650s and HD6XXs for the K7XXs and my current HD650s have the K7XX collecting dust…????? Such is the head-fier. ..:ksc75smile:…....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back