Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 24, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #38,971 of 46,525
I havê the hd600. It ruins my ears as i Stated on other posts. It gives me a kind of wird buzzing effect that i never got from any other headphones including dt770s and others... Dont know if its my unit or if i AM sensitive to the hd600s SIG.....

I hope the hd650 would havê a similar but Fuller sound without hurting my ears.
The HD650 will definitely be a step in the right direction. I'm pretty sensitive to listening fatigue, and the HD650 is about as low-fatigue as dynamics can get -- but a good Stax setup is even significantly lower in fatigue, and that's as good as you're going to get with headphones.

May 25, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #38,973 of 46,525
I havê the hd600. It ruins my ears as i Stated on other posts. It gives me a kind of wird buzzing effect that i never got from any other headphones including dt770s and others... Dont know if its my unit or if i AM sensitive to the hd600s SIG.....

I hope the hd650 would havê a similar but Fuller sound without hurting my ears.

If the HD600 ruins your ears and has a weird buzzing effect, it is defective.

In that case, a non-defective HD600 or HD650 would correct the problem.

If your HD600 is not defective, then the HD600/650 is completely the wrong headphone for you.

IMO YMWV

May 25, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #38,974 of 46,525
What do you mean by a weird buzzing effect? When do you hear this buzzing, during listening, or after? How loud is it and how long does it last?
What i mean is it creates a buzzing effect on my ears. It is not any noise on the headphone or anything but theres is something in there that after a couple or minutes starts to affect My hearing. My ears get fatigued very quickly with My hd600 and i end up taking them off after about 15 minutes tops. it creates a weird and very inconfortable buzzing effect on My earing.

I had many headphones.... Dt770 80ohm, k550, mdr v6, m50 and m50x, aurvana live, mdr 1r, both over dar momentums, hd25, mdr 1r, akg k518... This never happened with any of this headphones. Like i said, or i AM very sensitive to something on the hd600 FR or i havê a faulty unit wich i doubt... Everything sounds balanced and as it should.... Its just harsh on My ears i guêss...

I thought or ordering a new pair from amazon (mine i already 1 year old) to compare and ser if there or unit variations butbut at the same time i dont feel like stalling 300 euros just for comparison sake....

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #38,975 of 46,525
What i mean is it creates a buzzing effect on my ears. It is not any noise on the headphone or anything but theres is something in there that after a couple or minutes starts to affect My hearing. My ears get fatigued very quickly with My hd600 and i end up taking them off after about 15 minutes tops. it creates a weird and very inconfortable buzzing effect on My earing.

I had many headphones.... Dt770 80ohm, k550, mdr v6, m50 and m50x, aurvana live, mdr 1r, both over dar momentums, hd25, mdr 1r, akg k518... This never happened with any of this headphones. Like i said, or i AM very sensitive to something on the hd600 FR or i havê a faulty unit wich i doubt... Everything sounds balanced and as it should.... Its just harsh on My ears i guêss...

I thought or ordering a new pair from amazon (mine i already 1 year old) to compare and ser if there or unit variations butbut at the same time i dont feel like stalling 300 euros just for comparison sake....

I have this with every headphone with an emphasis around 11 kHz...When I listen to a 11 kHz tone for 10 seconds I have a 30 minute- or longer- ring in my ear..

My guess is you're sensitive spot lies spot on your HD600's freq. peak (6.5 kHz?)

May 25, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #38,976 of 46,525
I have this with every headphone with an emphasis around 11 kHz...When I listen to a 11 kHz tone for 10 seconds I have a 30 minute- or longer- ring in my ear..

My guess is you're sensitive spot lies spot on your HD600's freq. peak (6.5 kHz?)

And this peak van be avoided On other hd600 units (unit variations) or is it really something that is part of the hd600 nature and that will always be presente on any unit?

Só would i be better trying other hd600 or it would be a safer bet to just go for a hd650?

In theory i think i would like the hd650 more because it seems to havê the Fuller sound and bass (slightly) i seek to improve upon the 600s but on the other hand reading many times the word "laidback" makes me think i will loose some of the bite and edginess i like on the 600s for eléctrics guitars.

May 25, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #38,977 of 46,525
And this peak van be avoided On other hd600 units (unit variations) or is it really something that is part of the hd600 nature and that will always be presente on any unit?

Só would i be better trying other hd600 or it would be a safer bet to just go for a hd650?

In theory i think i would like the hd650 more because it seems to havê the Fuller sound and bass (slightly) i seek to improve upon the 600s but on the other hand reading many times the word "laidback" makes me think i will loose some of the bite and edginess i like on the 600s for eléctrics guitars.
I've owned 2 HD600, at least 3 HD650, 2 HD580, and a HD580 Jubilee over the past 15 years; Sennheiser is extremely consistent in their manufacturing. Chances are high that the next HD600 will be like your current pair. You won't know if the HD650 is for you until you try them, dude. You can read though an ocean of HD600 vs. HD650 impressions till you're blue; it won't predict how you might accept them.

I upgraded from HD600 to HD650 back in 2004; it took some significant adjusting and a couple of months for me to adapt to the darker smoother (and yes, fuller and more detailed) sound of the HD650. But once I "got it", there was no going back to the HD600, other than for brief listening stints.

If you get an HD650 and find that you require a bit of the "bite" back, then I highly recommend you track down an old Zu Mobius cable -- it's shocking how much those cables alter the HD650 signature, without totally losing the plot. The Moon Audio Dragon cables are good but they won't alter the signature like that old Zu did.

May 25, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #38,978 of 46,525

Chances are you'll like the HD650 a lot, I'd give it a try.. I agree with Mulveling, other HD600's probably will give you the same issue

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #38,979 of 46,525

I remember you posting in the HD600 thread a few months back about your issues with the HD600 which is similar to mine but its not as bad as you have it. The 4-5khz peak of the HD600 is what was irritating for me since brighter headphones like the HD700/800 and T1 don't bother me at all. The HD650 doesn't have the peak like the HD600 and for me its a much more musical sounding headphone where the HD600 is a bit to dry. I was going to just keep the HD600 as a reference but a friend really wanted them so I sold them with the intension of getting a used pair down the line but ever since building some headphones with Ypsilon and Nhoord drivers I don't think I'll ever get another HD600 since these are better in all aspects and to me even better than the HD650. FWIW my friend who bought the HD600 took one listen of the Ypsilon build and asked me to show her how to build her own and the HD600 was sold a week later.

May 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #38,980 of 46,525

Are you hearing this buzzing effect only while listening to the 600, and it immediately goes away after you stop listening, OR do you only hear this buzzing effect as a kind of constant background noise AFTER listening with the 600? If the latter, how long does the effect last?

I've noticed that when I listen to headphones (any) regularly, even at moderate volume, I get a sort of background static./buzzing noise, that's especially noticeable in dead silence, like immediately before falling asleep or immediately after waking up in the morning. This effect lasts continuously if I keep using headphones. If I stop using headphones, it goes away after probably a few weeks. I also noticed that some headphones, especially brighter ones, tend to make this effect worse.

May 25, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #38,981 of 46,525
I'm guessing he means some tinnitus that comes and goes. one that becomes louder over time and added fatigue. I have one just like that and aside from pure fatigue or sickness making it loud, I basically can't notice it except with a few headphones/IEMs after more or less time. my ear would start ringing after 20mn using an er4p or a non EQed hd800, but it doesn't after 4hours with the hd650. usually some EQ helps, but sometimes it doesn't and I can't tell if it's because I fail to EQ the important area correctly, or if there is another cause(some ringing, imbalance, some high frequencies I can't hear but can still feel? IDK). I just stop using the device responsible and all is well after a good night of sleep.

May 25, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #38,983 of 46,525
I've been giving my HD 6xx a good listen and one recording that is really good with the 6x/650 is the SACD version of Jeff Wayne's Music Version of War of the Worlds. Just one of those recordings that blows you away with these cans.

May 25, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #38,985 of 46,525
Im currently looking for a dac to complement my la figaro 339 hd650 i currently use the dragonfly red which i can actually tell a difference with but i feel they might still be lacking somewhere any suggestions are welcomed !!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back