Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #5,957 of 9,298
I just threw them up in the air and they never came down...
bigsmile_face.gif

Or did you mean the way they're shown in the photo?  If so, I slipped the rubber head band on knob of the cabinet for photo purposes. I'm a photographer so I do stuff like that
smile.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #5,958 of 9,298
@sygnus21, nice quick review, being a fellow photographer its always fun to create a photo where the viewer has to think about how you did that.  The pictures I've taken of my headphones has been simple stuff but after the comment by @moonbogg I might just take out my studio lighting system and take better pictures of them, just so lazy these days
biggrin.gif
 hanging with girlfriend.

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #5,959 of 9,298
@DavidA, Thanks. Yeah those pics were something quick and not really indicative of my skill set
bigsmile_face.gif

For the second photo with the amp I just used bounce flash to light the area. For the headphones I just slipped the rubber of the head band on the knob to hold them up. Nothing earthshattering there. That said I do appreciate the comments on my photos; that's always welcomed and appreciated
smile.gif

And glad you liked the review.

Peace
cool.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #5,960 of 9,298

Re: my leaning towards the HD700 over the HD650. Yep - I feel like the things that are important to me - comfort, spacious sound, separation of instruments, clarity, beautiful midrange - are all just a little better on the HD700. Obviously that's IMO and on my system. 

On its own, the HD650 is a beautiful, lush headphone. I could absolutely be happy with it. But, head to head with the HD700, I'm finding that I prefer the 700s. Keep in mind, I'm coming from Grado PS500s and I always loved my SR60s. The review mentioned above notes that the 700 might be the perfect entry into Sennheisers for the Grado lover and I'm finding that to be true. 

Here's an example of what I mean. One Wye Oak's Plains, I got my first taste of what I'd consider to be the HD700's brightness or harshness. Comes just after the 1:30 mark on this video, though I'm listening on Tidal. The song goes from brooding and rhythmic to discordant, intentionally. It's almost painful on the HD700. Uh oh. So, I swapped to the HD650, and it's similarly painful. It's just that two second burst of the song.

But, everything is clearer on the HD700 throughout the rest of the song, and while I understand why people appreciate the HD650's lushness, the HD700s suit me better. 

That's how I feel about the HD700 honestly. The HD650 has more midrange body to it, but the HD700's is cleaner and more detailed, so I prefer it. The sound as a whole is a lot cleaner in it's presentation.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #5,962 of 9,298

That's how I feel about the HD700 honestly. The HD650 has more midrange body to it, but the HD700's is cleaner and more detailed, so I prefer it. The sound as a whole is a lot cleaner in it's presentation.

Yep. And to put my money where my mouth is...I sent the HD650 back today. Very happy to have tried them, though. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #5,963 of 9,298

Yep. And to put my money where my mouth is...I sent the HD650 back today. Very happy to have tried them, though. 

Now don't go on reddit and post that you did that. They'd rip you apart. I got flack for even mentioning I own a HD700.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #5,965 of 9,298
  Wow, that was a quick decision
biggrin.gif

I don't know. I figure most people are happy to hear them at a dealer or a meet. I had them both in my house for a week with my gear. That's enough for me! :) 

I spent all of Sunday AM going back and forth between them. In the end, the HD700 just made me a little happier. Simple as that. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #5,966 of 9,298

I don't know. I figure most people are happy to hear them at a dealer or a meet. I had them both in my house for a week with my gear. That's enough for me! :)

I spent all of Sunday AM going back and forth between them. In the end, the HD700 just made me a little happier. Simple as that.

I've had my HD-650 and HD-700 for over a year and I would still find it hard to chose between them if I had to give one up, just so different.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #5,967 of 9,298

Now don't go on reddit and post that you did that. They'd rip you apart. I got flack for even mentioning I own a HD700.

Ha! it's funny, but the Hive Mind there ( and to a lesser extent here ) is one of the reasons I felt like I needed to do the comparison between the two for myself.

And, to be honest, I assumed going into this that I'd end up with the HD650. I only bought the HD700 because it was cheaper than the HD650 on Amazon on the day I wanted to click "Buy." If I hadn't done this comparison, I'd probably have believed everything I'd read about the HD700 being so shrill it'd make you go deaf. Maybe even echoing it myself.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #5,969 of 9,298

That is reddit tho - always was and will be like that. One of the reasons I moved away from there to here.

.. because we know how Head-Fiers love the HD700!  I get trolled in other threads when I suggest someone to look into this headphone, it's beyond frustrating - especially when most people who comment clearly haven't even listened to it! </rant>

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5,970 of 9,298

.. because we know how Head-Fiers love the HD700!  I get trolled in other threads when I suggest someone to look into this headphone, it's beyond frustrating - especially when most people who comment clearly haven't even listened to it! </rant>

...Or the ones that HAVE listened to them, listened to them for 10 mintues and made up their minds before putting them on their ears. 

I find some of the comments about them being too hot partially true. Though, I think they would have to have a more broad spike than it does to even be seen that way just on paper. Not sure why people can deduce that they are too bright from just looking at the curve (it doesn't even seem logical). The spike is way too narrow to cause them to be as some are describing them to be.

Also remember that some that listen to them for a short time and decide they suck may not listen to ANY headphones that have a similar sound signature.  

The part that I find partially true is on songs that have that LOTS of stuff in 6k (or 8k, or whatever the range was supposed to be). I still don't find them too hot, but they are no longer sparkely in the highs, but let's say very dry. This is really only on very few songs that I notice this. It is not a sibilance, per se. I can't describe what it sounds like to my ears better than saying dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back