Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 31, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #2,101 of 6,930
I don't buy burn in. Smacks of audiophile nervosa.

Burn in of what? Tubes? Amps? DACs? Cables?

Tubes absolutely burn in and change during the burn-in process. For example: I found the Reflektor 6N23P tubes to take about 50% longer than Siemens CCa tubes to burn-in, settle in, and sound right.

May 31, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #2,102 of 6,930
Burn in of what? Tubes? Amps? DACs? Cables?

Tubes absolutely burn in and change during the burn-in process. For example: I found the Reflektor 6N23P tubes to take about 50% longer than Siemens CCa tubes to burn-in, settle in, and sound right.
Out of the 3 dozen plus sets of tubes I own or owned only my 2 pair of PW, 2 pair of Siemens CCa and a pair of 1958 6922 D-getters sounded great out of the box, the Russians and Mullards sounded the worst with no burn in. The Russians took the longest to settle in.

May 31, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #2,103 of 6,930
I agree with TK16, finding (usually small) changes with some gear and not with others.

Personally, I suspect it's less to do with the gear and more to do with my brain adjusting to (a) a different presentation (b) things new gear might do incrementally better or worse than other gear I'm used to. Some differences I may adjust to and 'like', others not so much.

Potentially, there's a novelty effect too: new gear means I'm listening with full attention, which I may not have been doing for a while with familiar gear.

May 31, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,104 of 6,930
It's not my brain adjusting. I have four pairs of the1975 Reflektor 6N23P "HG" tubes. Each pair required burn-in to sound right...even if the pair I was listening to before the burn-in was another Reflektor pair. The same was true with the Siemens CCa tubes.

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,105 of 6,930
Got my Mjolnir 2 three weeks ago. It was an impulsive, almost hasty purchase, which I was half-ready to regret (oh boy, I was wrong). One day I was just casually reading up on the subject of hybrid amps, then I stumbled upon a couple reviews and then went straight to Schiit's website then ended up here, in this thread. Couple hours later I was already googling up Schiit's UK dealer.

Despite owning quite demanding headphones (Sennheiser HD650, bought from one of the first batches back in 2004, if I remember correctly), I never really bothered with a proper headphone amp. I used a headphone output of my Apogee Duet (the built in amp is quite decent) and only couple years ago I bought myself Creek OBH-21Mk2, but was never impressed with it. So initially I thought, that headphone amps are all like that, and do not affect the SQ in a meaningful way. Another problem was (and is) that I live on the small island, so it is quite hard for me to go to a good store and hear things out and compare to what I have. I have to carefully select what I order online and I rely heavily on the forums like this one, as they give a multitude of opinions and are invaluable in my case.

But back to Mjolnir 2. I was intrigued by the idea of a hybrid amp and honestly did not know what to expect, was even a bit sceptical. So when I finally got it I plugged it in with stock tubes, left it to warm up for about 10 hours playing couple songs on repeat while I was at work wondering what to listen to first. That evening was a revelation of sorts - finally I was really enjoying listening to the music via headphones! I do have a very decent home system (Dynaudio Contour speakers + Parasound P3 preamp + 2x (dual mono) Parasound A23 power amps), but I rarely use it for listening to the music lately, because my wife disapproves my listening volumes and sometimes the choice of music (ranging from mellow sounds of Buena Vista Social Club to a terrifying wall of sound from Dark Tranquility and such). So last several years I had to resort to listening music in headphones mostly, but I never really enjoyed it and mostly used music as a background. That evening all has changed, my HD650 got a new life brought into them. Suddenly I could hear so much more detail, much better bass and even better soundstage. Moreover, I no longer needed to crank up the volume to get full range of sound - the bass was always there even at 10 o'clock volume knob position. That evening I spent maybe 5 or 6 hours just going through my music collection, getting shivers down my spine every other track out of sheer pleasure of re-discovery. What impressed me the most was the holographic effect of presence, especially once I got to a good recording for headphones (Open Your Ears CD). Even playing games on my PC was a whole new experience audio-wise (almost crap myself during one of those jump scare moments in the new Prey).

Last three weeks were spent rediscovering my music library and reading up on tube rolling with MJ2. For now got myself a pair of Genalex Gold Lions, the difference to stock tubes is very minor, but they feel a bit more accurate and precise. I personally like more neutral sound, so it fits my preferences, but I plan to continue exploring different tubes.

So thanks to that thread for one of the best purchases of audio equipment in the last maybe 10 years for me, back to lurking and enjoying music.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,106 of 6,930
@SAndreev Happy to hear it's working out so well for you. I personally recommend following the invaluable advice from @rnros , and grab some 6N3P-E Reflektors (you'll need a pair of adapters). They're as wonderful as they are inexpensive. You may find you prefer a much warmer sounding tube, and so on, but it could be a great money and time-saving shortcut route. I bought 150 of them for a little more than a single pair of the '75 silver shields single wire getter post 'holy grail' 6N23P's. I sold both pairs of my '75s, and I'm set for life. Either way, moving beyond the stock tubes should yield considerable gains.

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #2,107 of 6,930
I do have a very decent home system (Dynaudio Contour speakers + Parasound P3 preamp + 2x (dual mono) Parasound A23 power amps), but I rarely use it for listening to the music lately, because my wife disapproves my listening volumes and sometimes the choice of music

I can totally relate to that! My only real time to listen is late at night and even at my modest listening volumes I still get complaints from the family. So off I went into the rabbit hole of headphones.

Anyways...welcome to the MJ2 club!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,110 of 6,930
You can't go wrong with either one of those two.

I am using my MJ2 with Holo Spring L3 Kitsune edition, and this setup is definitely my "endgame " setup. The missing link for me is a Singxer SU-1, which is coming next week.

Rolling tubes I discovered is fun and joy!
I use a FiiO 5 3rd gen with spotify extreme over my wifi to get all my music even through all 3 home computers are wired to my router- would a schiit wyrd or singxer f1 processing the usb from one of the computers give me improved sound compared to my wifi from the Fiio5 3rd gen transport. I have a Jotunheim coming this week for my bedroom headphone setup.. a gungnir dac has sat unused for 2 years and will be in the chain... my headphones are hd650 and newly purchased- m1060, focal elear, e mu teak

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,111 of 6,930
I use a FiiO 5 3rd gen with spotify extreme over my wifi to get all my music even through all 3 home computers are wired to my router- would a schiit wyrd or singxer f1 processing the usb from one of the computers give me improved sound compared to my wifi from the Fiio5 3rd gen transport. I have a Jotunheim coming this week for my bedroom headphone setup.. a gungnir dac has sat unused for 2 years and will be in the chain... my headphones are hd650 and newly purchased- m1060, focal elear, e mu teak

I am experimenting with a Gustard U12 and a Singxer SU1 in my system now, both are feeding a Gungnir multibit DAC via SPDIF. Prior to this it had always been straight USB out of my computer right into a DAC.

I can now say there is something to this whole USB conversion, clocking, jitter reducing thing as both pieces enhance what I am hearing.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,113 of 6,930
Got the Mjolnir 2 with Gumby a few weeks ago and have to say it's been absolute treat. Coming from the Jotunheim, this combo is a great upgrade and my Ether Flows are driven amazingly. Using some '68 orange globes, really smooth and warm tubes, just what I like :beyersmile:

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #2,114 of 6,930
Jun 18, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,115 of 6,930
You need one of these female 2.5mm or 3.5mm TRRS Balanced to 4-pin XLR male remeber to swithch to low gain unless your iems are hard to drive and turn the volume down. Some tubes can be a bit hissy with very sensitive iems but the lissts sound nice.
Thanks! I eventually figured it out and ordered one already. Trrs to xlr male plug. I already listened to it using 3.5mm to 1/4 plug in low gain. Mjolnir 2 coupled with gumby using xlr balanced connection. I thought I was getting good output with the adapter than I started wiggling with the headphone plug and pulled it out tiny bit. Guess what another channel was introduced and I was in 360 immersive sound. But mind you this is me pulling headphone connecter tiny bit and hold in that position, it was awesome. When I fully plugged it in, all separation sound stage was gone. It was on my face dull sound coming from both phones equally.

Today I bought a new adapter and nervous about giving it a try. Honestly I would kill my newborn for that extra channel added. Let's see if the new adapter will work :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back