Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 10, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,057 of 6,930
So I split my Bifrost with mono price's RCA splitters and put one through the MJ2 and into the Panache, and the other straight into the Panache. I then switched between inputs to see how having the MJ2 with Orange Globes would affect the sound. I've only done an hour or so of direct A/Bing, but once volume matched, I really can't hear the slightest different out of my HE-6. K1000 might be a different story, though I still haven't found my 1/4 inch-XLR adapter and the banana plugs/XLR adapter is still days away...

Is MJ2 just an exceptionally neutral amp? Are we emperor's-new-clothes-ing our fevered discussion of minute (and perhaps inaudible) differences? Do my ears just really suck? Jason reminds us that transducers matter more than amplification or d/a conversion. We should take him seriously.

May 10, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #2,058 of 6,930
Next component. A highend passive Balanced Attentuator (volume control, 47 steps) that will be placed between the amplifier and the speakers. Now just two more sets of XLR-cables, USB AES interface between PC>DAC and the active studio monitors + stands
http://imgur.com/HOrFAMp

Attachments

• IMG_20170510_205324.jpg
    IMG_20170510_205324.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,059 of 6,930
USB to AES? But whyyyyyyyyy? Just get a decent transport and cut out USB entirely. "USB still sounds like ass" —Mike Moffat's future gravestone (I assume)

May 11, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #2,060 of 6,930
USB to AES? But whyyyyyyyyy? Just get a decent transport and cut out USB entirely. "USB still sounds like ass" —Mike Moffat's future gravestone (I assume)

Well there will go very short audioquest Diamond cable to a Mutec MC3+ USB which is galvanic isolated. Then a 3M digital XLR cable to AES input of the yggy. My motherboard has two special USB-ports with separate 5V power on it. With the Mutec MC3+ USB I win also DSD conversion support (to PCM). Yggy doesn't support DSD native.
Also it seems that the Yggy prefers the AES input over the USB-input/controller.

May 23, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,063 of 6,930
Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,064 of 6,930
Joining the thread. My Mjolnir arrives Thursday, just in time for a long weekend!

I am coming from a Jotunheim with a Mojo as a DAC. I will be using the Mojo into the Mjolnir until my Gumby arrives in about a week.

Going to run the Mjolnir stock for as long as I can to get a handle on it and then open up the tube drawer and start rolling. Gonna be a good 4 day weekend.

May 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,065 of 6,930
Can I use these tubes 6N3P-EV (with the adapters)

IMHO and experience the Reflector 6N3P-E is one of the finest small format (9 pin) tubes produced and available.
Search back through my posts to find descriptions and comparisons with other tubes in the 5670 and 6922 families.
I've tried every vintage of the Reflector 6N3P-E from '74 to '88 and they are consistent; easiest to find are the '80's of course.
Check my amp and headphone list. These are my favorite until you move into the large format (GT) tubes.
I have several $K invested in the 6922 tube group, so this recommendation is after some serious comparisons.
However... YMMV, everyone has different ears/equipment/experience.

May 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,066 of 6,930
Joining the thread. My Mjolnir arrives Thursday, just in time for a long weekend!

I am coming from a Jotunheim with a Mojo as a DAC. I will be using the Mojo into the Mjolnir until my Gumby arrives in about a week.

Going to run the Mjolnir stock for as long as I can to get a handle on it and then open up the tube drawer and start rolling. Gonna be a good 4 day weekend.

Hi...you will have a treat in store..IME it does take some time to 'run in'...I've had mine since mid-April and it's only just staring to come on song (for me). Superb tho in my setup.

May 23, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #2,067 of 6,930
IMHO and experience the Reflector 6N3P-E is one of the finest small format (9 pin) tubes produced and available.
Search back through my posts to find descriptions and comparisons with other tubes in the 5670 and 6922 families.
I've tried every vintage of the Reflector 6N3P-E from '74 to '88 and they are consistent; easiest to find are the '80's of course.
Check my amp and headphone list. These are my favorite until you move into the large format (GT) tubes.
I have several $K invested in the 6922 tube group, so this recommendation is after some serious comparisons.
However... YMMV, everyone has different ears/equipment/experience.

I have a NOS pair of Reflector 6N3P-E tubes I will trade you for a pair of WE396A or Tesla 6CC42 PW tubes.....

May 23, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,068 of 6,930
I have upgraded to the Mjolnir2 now. And when using 1962 Philips NOS Tubes, versus the stock ones, I notice one very peculiar thing: when switching on the MJ2, it hums loudly for some seconds before it goes about quiet. It doesn't entirely go silent. With the stock tubes this doesn't happen. Why is this?
By the way, there is always a little hum. Onaudieble over the headphones! Just the unit itself.

May 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,069 of 6,930
My orange globes from 1968 do have a tendency to "fart" when being turned on; thankfully, it's only gas being released, no residual dingleberries in ur audio chain.

May 23, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,070 of 6,930
I have a NOS pair of Reflector 6N3P-E tubes I will trade you for a pair of WE396A or Tesla 6CC42 PW tubes.....

No need for me to do any tube trading, really do have more than enough!
But, with 10 or more pairs of WE396A, you're welcome to a few pair for the going price. :)
(I can always use the $$ for more headphones, amps and DACs...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back