Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #4,577 of 6,472
cskippy & rkw ....thank you for your quick responses and assistance. I do truly appreciate it.
I know I'm a newbie and you're both probably thinking I wasn't doing what you were suggestion but I truly was. This was an odd situation. Don't understand why this happened as it's pretty basic stuff hooking up 2 cables and ensure the 1st toggle is set to the down position. Never saw anything like this where there was audio when the unit was powered off.
Nevertheless, it's working just fine and it's sounds incredible paired with my THX-00 PH's.
Cheers!
Some equipment take a little time to completely drain the power supply capacitors after you switch it off, this happened to my valhalla 2, may be the same situation with jot.

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #4,578 of 6,472
Some equipment take a little time to completely drain the power supply capacitors after you switch it off, this happened to my valhalla 2, may be the same situation with jot.

Sounds logical. I'm hoping that's what it is.
Now I'm hearing pops at the start of every song, all kinds of hiss, noise etc. throughout, especially in quiet parts of a tune. I'm also getting dropouts for up to 5 seconds (then resuming)
Looks like a WYRE could be in my future.
Thanx for the input and insight man!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,579 of 6,472
Recently purchased a used Jotunheim+Dac combo in the FS section of Head-Fi.

Initial impressions of the combo is smaller details come through easier and instrument separation is better compared to the Fulla 2. Sounds great but...

I think I may have set myself up with unrealistic expectations with what the amp could do. I tested the amp with my Mahogony Foster TX-00 with Dekoni pads and Monolith M1060s with Cskippy's recommended mod. I expected more sub bass to offset the diminished bass from the Dekoni pads w/ attenuator rings. I'm kicking myself for selling off the default pads as they really were made for the TH-X00.

I also find myself still favoring the sound of the Oppo HA-2 with the M1060. Maybe the smoother sounding dac on the amp doesn't pair well, to my ears, with the M1060.I'm going to re-evaluate my chain. I've purchased balanced cables and cant wait to try it out with the planars and I'll be ordering a Mimby as well.

Regardless of everything said the Jot is a great amp and beautifully made. Surprisingly the Fulla 2 punches above it's price range. I'm having fun with this hobby and trying out new equipment.
Im back in to stereo equipment after away for 10 years of computers & gaming, my plan is a bedroom setup- use my Fiio 5 3rd gen into Jotunheim out to M1060 or senns hd650 headphones- both the Jot & 1060 cans are just purchased, intransit, arriving next week- where can I source decent balanced cables ($max $100 each ) for the m1060 and hd650 ? and also, using the Fiio5 gen3, Im confused because I believe input into the Jot will be 3.5 out of Fiio5 with se rca into rca connectors on Jot- is it still worth it to get new balanced cables for the Jot's 4pin front panel xlr cans connector?
I know and love Dekoni pads so Im a little disapponted I went with the $300 Monolith 1060's gen 2 as a change to the senns hd650's instead of this week's massdrop emu teak $500 fostex like cans-- Im kinda overwhelmed but spotify and tidal have brought music in a good direction for me.Please help with recommended calbes and the proper set up-- btw, have a gungnir sitting unused, not connected in my main setup for 2 years

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #4,580 of 6,472
@file1man I can recommend Impact Audio Cables on Etsy for good quality/priced cables. You can configure them however you need.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImpactAudioCables

Why don't you send your Gungnir in for a Multibit upgrade? It might be the best thing you can do as it will have a positive impact on all sound you hear.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4,581 of 6,472
@file1man I can recommend Impact Audio Cables on Etsy for good quality/priced cables. You can configure them however you need.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImpactAudioCables

Why don't you send your Gungnir in for a Multibit upgrade? It might be the best thing you can do as it will have a positive impact on all sound you hear.
ty- also since you have the fostex tx-00 ( $400 today on mass drop), might you expect the e-mu teak( mass drop today $500) or your tx-00 worth the extra $100 or $200 more than the 1060 cans for $300-- I havent been able to audition any of these here in nj so far- yes Ive budgeted the mutibit upgrade and usb addon for my gungnir but a $500 e-mu can would use the last of my money saved over the last year for all this

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #4,582 of 6,472
Im back in to stereo equipment after away for 10 years of computers & gaming, my plan is a bedroom setup- use my Fiio 5 3rd gen into Jotunheim out to M1060 or senns hd650 headphones- both the Jot & 1060 cans are just purchased, intransit, arriving next week- where can I source decent balanced cables ($max $100 each ) for the m1060 and hd650 ? and also, using the Fiio5 gen3, Im confused because I believe input into the Jot will be 3.5 out of Fiio5 with se rca into rca connectors on Jot- is it still worth it to get new balanced cables for the Jot's 4pin front panel xlr cans connector?
I know and love Dekoni pads so Im a little disapponted I went with the $300 Monolith 1060's gen 2 as a change to the senns hd650's instead of this week's massdrop emu teak $500 fostex like cans-- Im kinda overwhelmed but spotify and tidal have brought music in a good direction for me.Please help with recommended calbes and the proper set up-- btw, have a gungnir sitting unused, not connected in my main setup for 2 years

As Cskippy mentioned go with Impact Audio Cables. The M1060 2.5mm cable with the Neutrik XLR adapter will run you around $85 not including shipping. I have to say that I've been drooling over the E-mu Teaks for a while now but I've spent way too much on audio gear this year. It looks like the TH-X00 go on sale more than the E-mu Teak counterpart. It could possibly be because of the availability but you'll rarely find the Teaks on sale on the Head-Fi forums. I personally would go for the Teaks and later upgrade the DAC.

@cskippy After taking your advice I find that the Oppo's DAC pushes the vocals forward compared to the internal DAC on the Jot. That's what's making me lean more towards the Oppo HA-2/M1060 combination compared to the Jotunheim. It feels like the vocals are pushed farther with the Jot's DAC. On the flip side I'm having a blast with the TH-X00 and the Jot. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #4,583 of 6,472
Teaks are also a good counter point to the HD650. TH-X00 will give you the sub bass and sparkle that is missing from the HD650, plus they leak less sound which can be a plus.

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #4,584 of 6,472
Anyone tried using this amp with DACs using PCM1704 or some other warmer balanced R2R DACs? I am thinking some of those DAC can enhance the bass even further and also give the amp a more euphoric character. This paring might even be competitive with high end equipment. The modi Multibit does not have enough Bass compared to some Audio-GD offering.

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #4,585 of 6,472
Anyone tried using this amp with DACs using PCM1704 or some other warmer balanced R2R DACs? I am thinking some of those DAC can enhance the bass even further and also give the amp a more euphoric character. This paring might even be competitive with high end equipment. The modi Multibit does not have enough Bass compared to some Audio-GD offering.
I've used it with Bimby and with Holo Spring KTE 3. Bass was fairly well represented with Bimby, but it became more substantial with the Spring in NOS mode. Highs, especially cymbals and the higher range of strings, became even better delineated. However, I think that Bimby>Jot is an especially overall combo for < $1000, which I'm using for my work system now, and I'm using a Neurochrome HP-1 with the Spring for my home office system, for an even punchier presentation (at more than 3.5x the cost).

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #4,587 of 6,472
So I've owned the Jotunheim w/ DAC for all of 5 Hours. Some thoughts...
  • If I had to do it all over again, I would start with the Jotunheim w/ DAC, HD 650 or the NightHawk (still comparing), VE Basic Balanced Cable(s) (~$20 each) and Roon w/ Tidal and call it a day.
  • Coming from the Vali 2/Mimby the improvement is significant. I will most likely repurchase the Mimby down the road, but do not miss it at the moment.
  • I lived with the DragonFly Red only for the past 2 Weeks. I have not tried it with the Jotunheim as of yet. That being said, I would say the ~ $300 difference in price is more than worth it.
  • Balanced? Yes. Absolutely. I previously owned a Geek Out V2 & Songbird. The Songbird unfortunately was less than durable. After the Jotunheim I don't miss it. I purchased my VE Basic Balanced Cable(s) from AliExpress. Slow boat from China? Absolutely. Worth the wait? Absolutely.
  • I have not tried my SR80e yet, but the HD 650 scales to the point that I may no longer need it. It is a significant improvement particularly in the mid-range & upper treble.
...just some initial thoughts for those considering the Jotunheim. Highly recommended!

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #4,588 of 6,472
I posted this is another thread and was encouraged to post in this one. So here's a copy/paste.

I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.
A question or 2
Firstly and seriously, I don't know Schiit about a lot of this stuff so if you respond please keep that in mind.
I picked up the WYRD from a fine member here for a really good price to hopefully clean up my current issue. It's driving me crazy
I fully expected a black background even at high volume but it hasn't happened.
During quite parts on any track, I hear this hiss background noise. Best way to describe is a Shhhhhhhhh type sound.

Is this from the Modi 2 DAC, my Jot, or is it simply the quality of my source player. I hear this on every set of cans and on both Spotify premium and Tidal Hi-FI/Master?
I just can't take it. I thought buying this unit would do the trick but it's still there.
Thoughts?

This happens on all 3 sets of cans I have. Check my signature.
As a side note, I really don't hear this on my AQ DFR with any of my cans.
Thoughts?

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #4,589 of 6,472
I posted this is another thread and was encouraged to post in this one. So here's a copy/paste.

I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.
A question or 2
Firstly and seriously, I don't know Schiit about a lot of this stuff so if you respond please keep that in mind.
I picked up the WYRD from a fine member here for a really good price to hopefully clean up my current issue. It's driving me crazy
I fully expected a black background even at high volume but it hasn't happened.
During quite parts on any track, I hear this hiss background noise. Best way to describe is a Shhhhhhhhh type sound.

Is this from the Modi 2 DAC, my Jot, or is it simply the quality of my source player. I hear this on every set of cans and on both Spotify premium and Tidal Hi-FI/Master?
I just can't take it. I thought buying this unit would do the trick but it's still there.
Thoughts?

This happens on all 3 sets of cans I have. Check my signature.
As a side note, I really don't hear this on my AQ DFR with any of my cans.
Thoughts?
Might just be the recording if you don't hear anything when nothing is playing.

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #4,590 of 6,472
The Jot has a TON of power at it's disposal. If you're using sensitive IEMs or even headphones, you will hear the noise floor of the amp as the gain is too high for that particular headphone/IEM. I almost always run Jot on Low Gain as the noise floor is lower.

To test if it's the amp or the music, is pretty simple. Does the noise still exist when there is no music playing? Is it constant? That means there is too much gain or your headphones are too sensitive. You can confirm this by disconnecting all cables from Jot except your headphones and power cable obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back