Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #22,546 of 149,688
re: Yggdrasil and Gungnir

The Yggdrasil was the first Schiit DAC I ever purchased. Until it came out I was a dedicated user of tube-buffered DACs, with the three in my systems at the time being from Wavelength and Kora. But I was using a Schiit Lyr headphone amplifier and I knew Mike Moffat's work from Theta and Theta Digital and I used to lust after the Theta Laserdisc players and DACs from the 80's and 90's, so when I read what Mike had to say about Yggdrasil I knew I wanted one. And I was blown away by it. It was smooth and pure, turned digital bits into sweet analog music with none of the harshness I normally associated with solid state DACs from companies like Ayre and Benchmark and other companies I had owned and tried. After a side-by-side comparison with both my Crimson and my Hermes II DACs, I found I preferred the Yggdrasil in both cases. And not by a slim margin. So the high-end tube DACs were sold and Yggdrasil replaced them. I was using a Wavelength Brick for my headphone system but didn't really have room for another Yggdrasil... and just then Schiit released the Gungnir Multibit version and the Mjolnir 2, so I jumped on them replacing the Brick and the Lyr. Wow, a much better sound. Then because I could I compared the sound of the Gungnir MB to the Yggdrasil in my headphone setup and found that I preferred the Gungnir's slightly warmer tone. Not by a lot, but enough for me to notice. Hmm, I thought, what about in my 2-channel system? So I toted the Gungnir into the stereo room and compared it to the Yggdrasil there, and found that the detail and accuracy of Yggdrasil sounded better. Not by a lot, but enough for me to notice. So that's my opinion: I prefer the Yggdrasil for music in a 2-channel setup, and I prefer Gungnir MB for headphones. Is one better than the other? Only your ears can know for sure. For me, I liked them both but for different applications. As always, YMMV.
So it`s your opinion I need both. Thank you! Can you please tell my wife :)

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #22,547 of 149,688
On a different note:
I am kinda new to the audiohobby as you might have noticed by all the previous dumb questions.
So maybe you don`t mind another one (triggered by Herby and his tubeclamps).

Is there a big(ish) effect on the sound of tubes caused by vibration?
Today I made some wooden boards on spikes to go with my new rack.
Mainly because it looks cool, I must admit, but also because we have an old wooden floor and sometimes deep base could make stuff rattle in my old setup.
So I just wanted to get rid of the rattle, but now I think I lost some sharp edges to the sound as well. And the bass seems a little smoother than before.
Read that again: I THINK I hear a difference. I did not A/B anything for hours. And it is only a subtle difference (like when you move your speakers a little and I only notice a difference with the speakers)

Could this be explained by the tube in Saga vibrating alot less? (and I mean a whole lot less I can also feel it with my hand)
Is there another explanation possible? I also put a board under the Gungnir btw.
Or am I going off the cliff here and should I put down the bottle and go to bed early today?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #22,548 of 149,688
Jul 22, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #22,549 of 149,688
I would hazzard a guess that of the Schiit customers that are female the majority of them are buying a gift for someone who is male. It would be a curious statistic to know, including how many actual female Schiit head users there are percentage wise compared to the percentage of female head-fi members.

Jason should give out Schiit logo whoopee cushions to the attendees of the first Schiit Show at the Schiitr. Could start a trend....

FWIW, my daughter, who's about to graduate from college, loves music but always thought my little obsession with audio gear was just kinda dumb. Then she listened to some of her favorites with aSchiit stack and my old HE-500s. Now she loves to show off her Fulla2 and Nighthawks (she loved mine out of the Jut).

Maybe it helps to move the conversation away from the normal (And fun ) geek speak, and just letting people listen, without requiring any feedback or judgement.

I think most of her friends who have heard the difference might also be Schiitheads soon. I got the strong impression that the not-taking-themselves-so-serious attitude resonated. Along with reasonable pricing :beerchug:

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #22,550 of 149,688
Or am I going off the cliff here and should I put down the bottle and go to bed early today?

I think you need pills.
And I could get your wife in therapy.
On the other hand.. If you hear a difference and your not drunk or took LSD than there's a chance its real.
I have u bus stop in front of my house and a lot of work traffic at the moment.
I have everything dampend. If not the heavy traffic goes trough the speakers.
And quit strange I never had a problem with microphonics using the Valhalla 2 or XZ-U202 but the Mjolnir 2 pics up a whistle from a battery charger on the other end of the room.
So my advise would be:
1. Give that bottle to your wife and start talking Yggdrassil when she's finished with it.
2. Listen to anything you want for a few hours then take the spikes away and listen again.
3. Make a choice of what you like best.
4. Call me for your prescription.

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #22,551 of 149,688
Is there a big(ish) effect on the sound of tubes caused by vibration?
... I THINK I hear a difference.

A big difference? No. But if you think you hear a difference then don't worry, be happy. It's your system, right? Do what makes you happy.

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #22,556 of 149,688
I think you need pills.
And I could get your wife in therapy.
On the other hand.. If you hear a difference and your not drunk or took LSD than there's a chance its real.
I have u bus stop in front of my house and a lot of work traffic at the moment.
I have everything dampend. If not the heavy traffic goes trough the speakers.
And quit strange I never had a problem with microphonics using the Valhalla 2 or XZ-U202 but the Mjolnir 2 pics up a whistle from a battery charger on the other end of the room.
So my advise would be:
1. Give that bottle to your wife and start talking Yggdrassil when she's finished with it.
2. Listen to anything you want for a few hours then take the spikes away and listen again.
3. Make a choice of what you like best.
4. Call me for your prescription.

Yup...taking it all back out and see if anything changes is probably the only way to be sure.
But that requires more effort than I`m willing to put in right now.
I`m pretty sure there are pills for that too, but let`s just leave all that in the past and focus on the music shall we?

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #22,559 of 149,688
Here is my suggestion for VIdar buyers after only listening for about an hour or so.

While the volume levels will be lower in monoblock mode, do yourself a favor and stay away from Se and one Vidar if you can afford it.

Its not close in terms of overall audio quality.

My setup: Freya , Yggy,two Vidars,Auralic Aries (using Aes) and Kef Ls50's .Cabling Mogami Studio ,Kimber

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back