Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #22,576 of 152,007
From the manual:

1 and 2 Speaker Outputs. When using Vidar as
a mono amp, connect your speaker to the two
top red terminals only. Right is “+”, and left is “-”.
Please note both of these are active outputs—do
not ground one of them!

Sounds better though eh? Hmmmm.
That is incorrect . Look at the back of the Vidar. The ++ is on the left meaning I have it hooked up correctly. The + terminal speaker should be connected to the left top right terminal on the Vidar.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #22,578 of 152,007
That is incorrect . Look at the back of the Vidar. The ++ is on the left meaning I have it hooked up correctly. The + terminal speaker should be connected to the left top right terminal on the Vidar.

Stop it!! The terminal on the left when looking at the back of Vidar is the right side terminal!!!! It is the right channel!!

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #22,585 of 152,007
From the manual:

1 and 2 Speaker Outputs. When using Vidar as
a mono amp, connect your speaker to the two
top red terminals only. Right is “+”, and left is “-”.
Please note both of these are active outputs—do
not ground one of them!

Sounds better though eh? Hmmmm.

^^^It's all in what "perspective" you are looking at the Vidar from: Looking from the font of the Vidar and peeking over the backside, this description is correct.

Now if I am standing behind the Vidar looking at the binding posts, the upper left binding post is for + wire to the speaker and the upper right one is for - wire to the speaker. (This is only when running the Vidar in mono block mode!!!! And we are talking about the two binding posts nearest the top cover of the Vidar amp.)

vidar-rear-1920.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #22,586 of 152,007
So how is my connection wrong . + from speaker is connected to top left terminal on the Vidar marked ++(viewing the Vidar from the back ! )

It's the right side terminal no matter where you are looking at it from. Stop calling it the left terminal!!!

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #22,587 of 152,007
Okay, I just did a test. I setup my single Vidar amp as a monoblock. I connected it to Freya using an XLR interconnect and plugged the positive speaker banana plug into the top right binding post and the plugged the negative speaker banana plug into the top left binding post. Nothing else was plugged into the Vidar amp.

I found a constant volume 432Hz tone on YouTube and played it. I measured the sound level with an iPhone app of 88.4db. I hooked everything back up into stereo mode and measured the sound level again. This time it was 82.7db. That is 5.7db less. Just what is expected.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #22,588 of 152,007
^^^It's all in what "perspective" you are looking at the Vidar from: Looking from the font of the Vidar and peeking over the backside, this description is correct.

Now if I am standing behind the Vidar looking at the binding posts, the upper left binding post is for + wire to the speaker and the upper right one is for - wire to the speaker. (This is only when running the Vidar in mono block mode!!!!)

vidar-rear-1920.jpg

I think the highlighted + & - on the top terminals are the key, as they match the one's above the XLR.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #22,590 of 152,007
I think the highlighted + & - on the top terminals are the key, as they match the one's above the XLR.
That's a very nice touch.

I wonder how many people using XLR will still blow things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back