Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #22,606 of 151,634
IMG_20170715_105616.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_105616.jpg
    IMG_20170715_105616.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #22,607 of 151,634
Mine has been on for 8 hours. It didn't take long to get to the point where you wouldn't want to leave your hand on the top more than a couple seconds before becoming really uncomfortable. Kind of Lyr coffee pot warmer hot if you have one of those. Not a big deal at all. If it was in a cabinet I would want a ventilation fan ready in case it tripped. Of course it's load dependant so for the record the speakers driven are 91db efficient and 8 ohm.
Thanks for that detail. I used to leave solid state amps on 24/7 but I don't anymore. Only DACs. So, when I buy
a Vidar, I will make sure I pre-plan rack space with excellent ventilation.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #22,608 of 151,634
Mine has been on for 8 hours. It didn't take long to get to the point where you wouldn't want to leave your hand on the top more than a couple seconds before becoming really uncomfortable. Kind of Lyr coffee pot warmer hot if you have one of those. Not a big deal at all. If it was in a cabinet I would want a ventilation fan ready in case it tripped. Of course it's load dependant so for the record the speakers driven are 91db efficient and 8 ohm.
I had my Tannoy XT 8F ran 2 hours straight driven by Vidars in monoblock. Listening position (7 ft away) measured around 80 dB. They didn't get that hot at all... Only warm to the touch...
Tannoys are 91 dB efficient and 8 ohms...

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #22,611 of 151,634
Pietro Cozzi Tinin said:
You are new here so I'll ask a few basic questions.
1. Do you know enough about audio engineering to recognize a satisfactory answer to your question?
2. Is this thread your only window on the world?
3. Do you have google or acces to a library?
4. Do you always throw your questions around like this and expect others to answer them?
5. Did you read all the info already on this forum by Jason and Mike?
6. Do you tie your shoe laces yourself?

Why don't you figure it out and tell us what it all means?
Give a Schiit and educate us.
We will grow in knowledge together.
Don't be a baby.

Regardless of being polite and thankful, somehow I have still failed in my writing here, as Pietro Cozzi Tinin has pointed out in his colorful reply.

I will take some time of from head-fi, and find another place to have technical debate about audio gear.

I thought that in Schiit Happened -thread, I could have a short debate with the company representatives, I thought that is what chat forums are for, silly me.

Ableza said:
Transformers are transformers. They are simple coils of wire that couple with each other magnetically to transfer energy from one coil to another. In power supply circuits they are primarily used to create the voltages needed by the circuit from whatever is the incoming power voltage. The only difference between a toroid and any other transformer is the shape of the core and therefor the arrangement of the windings. The "advantages" to a toroid from a design perspective is they can be made lighter for the same power output as they are slightly more efficient than a conventional core. Also there is some stray field magnetic advantage to be had especially at higher power levels, but this is not usually a real issue in power supply design. Toroids cost a lot more than conventional transformers because they are more difficult to manufacture. One type is really neither better nor worse than another, choosing one or the other is more about meeting application design goals.

stled said:
Basic toroidal transformer advantages. Lower stray magnetic field. so less likely to induce AC hum into nearby components. Less tendency to have mechanical buzz or hum. Generally somewhat greater efficiency due to reduced core losses.

These differences have been somewhat reduced by better materials and construction techniques.

For a more complete and in-depth description try this link. http://www.tortran.com/toroidal_transformer_advantages.html

Hope this helps, stled

Thank you for these, much appreciated.

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #22,612 of 151,634
Regardless of being polite and thankful, somehow I have still failed in my writing here, as Pietro Cozzi Tinin has pointed out in his colorful reply.

I will take some time of from head-fi, and find another place to have technical debate about audio gear.

I thought that in Schiit Happened -thread, I could have a short debate with the company representatives, I thought that is what chat forums are for, silly me.

Thank you for these, much appreciated.

I just sent you a PM with the explanation why this post, just as the former one, is reason for getting some minor critique.
I was not being rude. I can't dislike you because I don't know you.
Hope to have given you a pointer in the PM.
Feel free to publish it if you agree.

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #22,613 of 151,634
I think I found out what changed the sound yesterday (may still be a little bit due to the vibrations being way less) but:

1. Closing the ensuite-doors (I`ll start doing this more often now)
2. I moved the sub to have better acces to my rack, forgot to put it back(but I think I`ll leave it where it is now. Happy accident!)
3. An excellent bottle of 2010 Margaux. (this proverbial angelpiss goes really well with a side of Schiit)

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #22,614 of 151,634
Nope. But Amsterdam is world-famous for certain things.

Yeah, but Netherlands (and Amsterdam on its own too) is pretty successful economically, in science, art, and many other areas. That wouldn't be the case if everybody would be stoned half of the time.

Reputation and reality don't always align....

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #22,615 of 151,634
But how does it sound?
Here's my observations after approximately 10 hours playing time:
1. Bass is tighter and controlled. They are there when they need to be there. Never lost the power to push the punches out.
2. Vocal really shines! They sound sweet and fuller than the Marantz I had before. They remind me of my father's $5,000 Cayin tube amps somehow.
3. A bit bright in the treble, The harshness is getting away now so no complaints here anymore.
4. Instrument placement is very precise. Sound stage is deeper and a bit wider compared to the Marantz. Maybe I will place with the speaker placement later to see if that improves.
Will do some critical listening when I accumulate 20+ hours on these bad boys. So far loving them!

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #22,616 of 151,634
Here's my observations after approximately 10 hours playing time:
1. Bass is tighter and controlled. They are there when they need to be there. Never lost the power to push the punches out.
2. Vocal really shines! They sound sweet and fuller than the Marantz I had before. They remind me of my father's $5,000 Cayin tube amps somehow.
3. A bit bright in the treble, The harshness is getting away now so no complaints here anymore.
4. Instrument placement is very precise. Sound stage is deeper and a bit wider compared to the Marantz. Maybe I will place with the speaker placement later to see if that improves.
Will do some critical listening when I accumulate 20+ hours on these bad boys. So far loving them!
I have listened in both monblock and stereo mode and I have to say there is a big difference in my setup in audio quality .

The monoblock configuration is better in overall resolution , control , soundstage bass . Pretty much everything . I don't think after listening to stereo mode
with one Vidar I would be happy running Kef ls50's , an inefficient speaker .

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #22,617 of 151,634
I have listened in both monblock and stereo mode and I have to say there is a big difference in my setup in audio quality .

The monoblock configuration is better in overall resolution , control , soundstage bass . Pretty much everything . I don't think after listening to stereo mode
with one Vidar I would be happy running Kef ls50's , an inefficient speaker .
I don't currently have a spare pair of RCA cables long enough to connect Freya to a single Vidar so didn't bother to check the performance of one Vidar. And based on what you have suggested, I don't think I'll ever want to find out! Thanks for the info.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #22,619 of 151,634
I don't currently have a spare pair of RCA cables long enough to connect Freya to a single Vidar so didn't bother to check the performance of one Vidar. And based on what you have suggested, I don't think I'll ever want to find out! Thanks for the info.

well you should try it once and I think you will immediately realize what I'm talking about .

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #22,620 of 151,634

Users who are viewing this thread

Back